Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Possible Spanish team meltdown 09:03 - Jun 13 with 3859 viewsStokieBlue

This seems totally crazy:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/world-cup-2018-spain-repl

They are thinking of replacing their manager less than 24 hours before the start of the tournament.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Possible Spanish team meltdown on 09:11 - Jun 13 with 3156 viewsHerbivore

The whole situation is bizarre and it's very hard to see how Spain can really go far with this circus going on. To announce the Real Madrid job on the eve of the tournament makes no sense, I can only assume that the news was somehow leaked and would have come out second hand if Real hadn't made an announcement.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Possible Spanish team meltdown on 09:12 - Jun 13 with 3155 viewsKieran_Knows

Surely the Spanish FA and Real Madrid must have agreed about the announcement being made of his appointment?

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Possible Spanish team meltdown on 09:12 - Jun 13 with 3149 viewschicoazul

Wouldn't be at all surprised if this does happen, it all seems very shady. Typical Real basically. If I was Man U i'd be livid too because you know he will be in de Gea's ear all tournament too.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Possible Spanish team meltdown on 09:13 - Jun 13 with 3148 viewsGuthrum

Can't see why it's such an issue, given he'll be taking over at Real after the tournament.

Indeed, the fact their national coach is sought after by such a prestigious club ought to be confirmation of his quality.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2018 9:14]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Possible Spanish team meltdown on 09:14 - Jun 13 with 3136 viewschicoazul

Possible Spanish team meltdown on 09:11 - Jun 13 by Herbivore

The whole situation is bizarre and it's very hard to see how Spain can really go far with this circus going on. To announce the Real Madrid job on the eve of the tournament makes no sense, I can only assume that the news was somehow leaked and would have come out second hand if Real hadn't made an announcement.

Nah. Real gonna Real. That's all this is. Ramos has probably said "we should get this guy" so that's why they have done it.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Possible Spanish team meltdown on 09:18 - Jun 13 with 3110 viewsbluefunk

Possible Spanish team meltdown on 09:13 - Jun 13 by Guthrum

Can't see why it's such an issue, given he'll be taking over at Real after the tournament.

Indeed, the fact their national coach is sought after by such a prestigious club ought to be confirmation of his quality.

Quite- iirc didn’t SBR have the PSV job lined up before the 1990 WC started
Possible Spanish team meltdown on 09:22 - Jun 13 with 3086 viewsHerbivore

Possible Spanish team meltdown on 09:18 - Jun 13 by bluefunk

I think the issue is timing though. SBR wasn't announced as PSV manager two days before the start of the tournament, I was pretty young but from memory it was already known that SBR was leaving the England job after the World Cup.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Possible Spanish team meltdown on 09:30 - Jun 13 with 3046 viewschicoazul

Possible Spanish team meltdown on 09:18 - Jun 13 by bluefunk

did he not? I always thought they announced he was leaving and then a couple days later he said he was off to PSV, all before the tournament began.

EDIT; sorry I misread your post! My memory of it is the same as yours.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2018 9:31]

Login to get fewer ads

Possible Spanish team meltdown on 09:31 - Jun 13 with 3040 viewsitfcjoe

Possible Spanish team meltdown on 09:11 - Jun 13 by Herbivore

The head of the Spanish FA found out 5 minutes before the announcement apparently!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Possible Spanish team meltdown on 09:34 - Jun 13 with 3024 viewsPendejo

Possible Spanish team meltdown on 09:30 - Jun 13 by chicoazul

did he not? I always thought they announced he was leaving and then a couple days later he said he was off to PSV, all before the tournament began.

EDIT; sorry I misread your post! My memory of it is the same as yours.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2018 9:31]

Yes but it WAS the FA who announced they'd released SBR before WC so he was entitled to find himself another job.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Possible Spanish team meltdown on 09:34 - Jun 13 with 3023 viewsDyland

Possible Spanish team meltdown on 09:31 - Jun 13 by itfcjoe

The head of the Spanish FA found out 5 minutes before the announcement apparently!

If true that is absurd, ridiculous, outrageous and hilarious in equal measures.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Possible Spanish team meltdown on 09:34 - Jun 13 with 3022 viewsitfcjoe

Think the issue is the Spansih FA were totally blindsided by it, and now big clubs like Barca and Athletico are kicking off because the manager of their biggest rivals is now in charge of their players for the next 4 weeks.

Puts Spanish FA in unenviable position - what if Pique, Busquets etc get injured and claim they were being over trained or over played etc.

If they win their first 2 group games and he rests the Real players but not the Athletico players?

Spanish FA are between a rock and a hard place

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Possible Spanish team meltdown on 09:37 - Jun 13 with 3005 viewsStokieBlue

The article says the Spanish FA are thinking of removing him before the tournament - that's the issue.

Guess we will find out this morning.

SB

Possible Spanish team meltdown on 09:45 - Jun 13 with 2962 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Del Bosque on standby?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Possible Spanish team meltdown on 09:49 - Jun 13 with 2940 viewsGuthrum

Possible Spanish team meltdown on 09:34 - Jun 13 by itfcjoe

Think the issue is the Spansih FA were totally blindsided by it, and now big clubs like Barca and Athletico are kicking off because the manager of their biggest rivals is now in charge of their players for the next 4 weeks.

Puts Spanish FA in unenviable position - what if Pique, Busquets etc get injured and claim they were being over trained or over played etc.

If they win their first 2 group games and he rests the Real players but not the Athletico players?

Yes, there is some conflict of interest. But if he's that kind of character, what's he doing in charge of the national team in the first place?

This is partly an issue of what being a country's manager is - very part-time in terms of working with the players, developing the squad and actually getting a chance to show what his team can do on the pitch (even more rarely so in meaningful competition). Even the prestige (including media exposure) is nowadays less than their club colleagues. Club management (at the top level) is, in many ways, far more attractive for an ambitious bloke.

Possible Spanish team meltdown on 10:05 - Jun 13 with 2887 viewsGuthrum

Possible Spanish team meltdown on 09:37 - Jun 13 by StokieBlue

The article says the Spanish FA are thinking of removing him before the tournament - that's the issue.

Guess we will find out this morning.

SB

Sorry, meant that I couldn't see why it was such a huge issue for the Spanish FA.

Apart, perhaps, from bruised egoes.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2018 10:05]

Possible Spanish team meltdown on 10:08 - Jun 13 with 2861 viewsStokieBlue

Possible Spanish team meltdown on 10:05 - Jun 13 by Guthrum

Sorry, meant that I couldn't see why it was such a huge issue for the Spanish FA.

Apart, perhaps, from bruised egoes.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2018 10:05]

Agreed, seems far more counterproductive to remove him before the tournament in a huff rather than letting him continue until afterward.

SB

Possible Spanish team meltdown on 10:16 - Jun 13 with 2827 viewsGuthrum

Possible Spanish team meltdown on 09:31 - Jun 13 by itfcjoe

Bust surely, for the good of Spain's WC campaign, it would have been better just to roll with it, pretend there's no issue for now and put out any recriminations afterwards (if they don't win it).

Possible Spanish team meltdown on 10:19 - Jun 13 with 2811 viewsBarcaBlue

Possible Spanish team meltdown on 10:08 - Jun 13 by StokieBlue

Agreed, seems far more counterproductive to remove him before the tournament in a huff rather than letting him continue until afterward.

SB

The problem is now the scrutiny he will be under for any decisions he makes regarding Madrid / Barça players is going to get to Pazelle levels of conspiracy.

Personally I think he should be sacked - it's going to do no more harm to the national team than keeping him on and the circus that will surround him and the team. It's massively damaging either way but not informing the Spanish FA is inexcusable, unless there are more details to come out about how things were handled.
Possible Spanish team meltdown on 10:29 - Jun 13 with 2772 viewsdavblue

Possible Spanish team meltdown on 09:34 - Jun 13 by itfcjoe

Yes, but it's the World Cup, probably will be his only chance with Spain to do it.

Im not sure why he would want to do anything to harm his chances and Spain's chances of doing well.
Possible Spanish team meltdown on 11:08 - Jun 13 with 2692 viewsYaffle

He's been sacked! wow!
Possible Spanish team meltdown on 11:16 - Jun 13 with 2666 viewsSteve_M

They've sacked him:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/13/julen-lopetegui-sacked-spain-ma

The FA can only dream of that level of farce.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Possible Spanish team meltdown on 11:26 - Jun 13 with 2605 viewsGuthrum

Possible Spanish team meltdown on 11:08 - Jun 13 by Yaffle

He's been sacked! wow!

Daft decision, IMO.

Possible Spanish team meltdown on 11:29 - Jun 13 with 2584 viewshype313

Possible Spanish team meltdown on 11:26 - Jun 13 by Guthrum

Daft decision, IMO.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Possible Spanish team meltdown on 11:30 - Jun 13 with 2581 viewsDanTheMan

Possible Spanish team meltdown on 11:16 - Jun 13 by Steve_M

They've sacked him:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/13/julen-lopetegui-sacked-spain-ma

The FA can only dream of that level of farce.

Impressively dumb.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024