Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Question for any garden clearance experts on here 20:42 - Apr 10 with 2854 viewscolchesterchris

So, for one reason or another a family member in Clacton has a garden which is wildly overgrown with brambles, weeds, bushes and a tree. We're talking 6-7 feet high.

They're now on the shielded list, so I seem to have inherited the thankless task of trying to get this sorted so they can at least go outside. It's about 600 square feet. I've had one quote (2 man job for 2 days) which was £850. It's the only quote I've managed to get, and includes cutting that all back and disposing of the waste.

So, given I have no idea if that's good or bad - does anyone else?

Thanks in advance!

Poll: Hypothetically, we have £1M for January. What would you rather?

Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 20:57 - Apr 10 with 2479 viewsjeera

I've never owned a garden shredder and won't pretend to know much about them, other than the obvious.

But if you were to consider that kind of money might it be better to do it yourself and treat yourself to something like this for half the money to make the job and disposal a bit easier?

Compost right there and no need for other disposal methods.

And you get a shredder!

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-0600803370-2500w-230kg-hr-shredder-230v/8781d

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 20:58 - Apr 10 with 2475 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Are thet just cutting it all down, or grubbing out the roots? Is the tree 6-7ft?
2 blokes should be able to clear that area in a day if just cutting back and take the rubbish away tbh.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 21:18 - Apr 10 with 2411 viewsjeera

Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 20:58 - Apr 10 by StochesStotasBlewe

Are thet just cutting it all down, or grubbing out the roots? Is the tree 6-7ft?
2 blokes should be able to clear that area in a day if just cutting back and take the rubbish away tbh.

Sorry. Wasn't trying to do you or Bankster out of work.

He should get a quote or 2 (from people like you) if he isn't able to do it himself.

800 odd quid does sound a lot.

Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 21:22 - Apr 10 with 2396 viewscolchesterchris

Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 20:57 - Apr 10 by jeera

I've never owned a garden shredder and won't pretend to know much about them, other than the obvious.

But if you were to consider that kind of money might it be better to do it yourself and treat yourself to something like this for half the money to make the job and disposal a bit easier?

And you get a shredder!

See that's tempting, particularly as I have little to do with my weekends and a garden shredder just sounds cool :)

I'm actually in London, so regular trips to do this probably isn't the best idea. Quite happy with the idea of a self-employed person having a bit of work too given the circumstances, just don't want to end up paying over the odds.

Cheers for the reply and the subsequent 10 mins of procrastination looking at garden shredders, enjoyed that!
[Post edited 10 Apr 2020 21:24]

Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 21:23 - Apr 10 with 2396 viewscolchesterchris

Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 20:58 - Apr 10 by StochesStotasBlewe

I'm not 100% sure on the tree - but it's the garden full of weeds/brambles that is about 7ft (it might have been 15 years since the garden was trimmed!)

As far as I know just cutting it all back. Cheers that's handy to know

Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 21:31 - Apr 10 with 2362 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 21:18 - Apr 10 by jeera

Sorry. Wasn't trying to do you or Bankster out of work.

He should get a quote or 2 (from people like you) if he isn't able to do it himself.

800 odd quid does sound a lot.

Actually think you have a very good point re getting a chipper. A half decent one would cost under £200 and would more than do the job.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 21:36 - Apr 10 with 2352 viewsWeWereZombies

Six hundred square feet is something like seven and a half metres square, not the biggest garden. The grubbing up the roots issue is pertinent, if you do not do that the brambles will be back next year (and probably worse than ever if the other plants holding them back are removed). But the grubbing up might leave the garden looking like a ploughed field, not ideal for compromised people to exercise in.

So a well kitted up pair of lads should make short work of it with something like a brushcutter and if the tree is only seven feet tall a bandsaw will take care of it in maybe a hundred strokes. I will defer to Bankster and PinewoodBlueBoy as far as the pricing goes but I wouldn't baulk at doing it myself. One word on getting dressed for the occasion - gauntlets.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2020 21:39]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 21:46 - Apr 10 with 2309 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 21:36 - Apr 10 by WeWereZombies

Six hundred square feet is something like seven and a half metres square, not the biggest garden. The grubbing up the roots issue is pertinent, if you do not do that the brambles will be back next year (and probably worse than ever if the other plants holding them back are removed). But the grubbing up might leave the garden looking like a ploughed field, not ideal for compromised people to exercise in.

So a well kitted up pair of lads should make short work of it with something like a brushcutter and if the tree is only seven feet tall a bandsaw will take care of it in maybe a hundred strokes. I will defer to Bankster and PinewoodBlueBoy as far as the pricing goes but I wouldn't baulk at doing it myself. One word on getting dressed for the occasion - gauntlets.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2020 21:39]

Exactly this.
Without seeing the plot, but from the description given, to clear and take the rubbish away i reckon £350 roughly.............£400 tops.

This is probably why i don,t live in a bloody great house in the country
[Post edited 10 Apr 2020 21:49]

Login to get fewer ads

Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 21:53 - Apr 10 with 2298 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

2, 8 hour days @ £15/hr is £480... most waste sites are closed, so maybe ask about that, but if they are grubbing/ digging out roots too then that seems pretty fair imho.

Edit ...tell them £700 and the job is theirs and don't worry too much about the disposal!! Or DIY.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2020 21:58]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 21:58 - Apr 10 with 2273 viewsjeera

Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 21:53 - Apr 10 by BanksterDebtSlave

2, 8 hour days @ £15/hr is £480... most waste sites are closed, so maybe ask about that, but if they are grubbing/ digging out roots too then that seems pretty fair imho.

Edit ...tell them £700 and the job is theirs and don't worry too much about the disposal!! Or DIY.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2020 21:58]

That seems to suggest that it's £15 per hour unless it's taxing work like digging out roots.

So it's not £15 an hour. It's £15 an hour with a bonus of almost 400 quid extra if it's hard work.

Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 22:00 - Apr 10 with 2264 viewsMeadowlark

And you get a shredder!

I'm not an expert on shredders by any means but I have owned a couple and used a couple more and most of them are completely useless, so before purchasing, should that be your chosen route make sure you read the reviews!
The only decent one I ever used was an "Industrial" one that I hired for the day.
I would quite like to own one that works, but not prepared to be fooled again......

If anyone could recommend one that works consistently and unerringly over a range of branch size and density I'd be interested to know?
Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 23:06 - Apr 10 with 2176 viewsGuthrum

And you get a shredder!

From personal experience, I doubt a shredder like that would be up to the job. Not when you're having to feed yards and yards of thick brambles into it.

If you're going to DIY, probably more cost effective to hire one, anyway. Unless you're planning on doing a lot of garden clearance.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 23:20 - Apr 10 with 2164 viewsjeera

Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 23:06 - Apr 10 by Guthrum

From personal experience, I doubt a shredder like that would be up to the job. Not when you're having to feed yards and yards of thick brambles into it.

If you're going to DIY, probably more cost effective to hire one, anyway. Unless you're planning on doing a lot of garden clearance.

Pah, whadda you know?

You still use Thread View.

It was only an idea and of course doesn't have to be that particular machine. I was thinking along the lines of - if spending that much money - someone could maybe kit themselves out for longer term.

But yes, for a one-off job, hiring would get a better machine, I completely understand that.

Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 00:40 - Apr 11 with 2138 viewsfactual_blue

For £900, I'll do it in a couple of hours. Probably ten minutes in fact.

I have specially tested equipment and techniques.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 01:27 - Apr 11 with 2122 viewsjeera

Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 00:40 - Apr 11 by factual_blue

What could possibly go wrong?

Hang on. Weren't you in Australia earlier this year?

Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 07:28 - Apr 11 with 2033 viewsWeWereZombies

Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 00:40 - Apr 11 by factual_blue

Looks like fun. I was going to suggest having a bonfire instead of the shredding malarkey but Clacton is probably a smoke free zone and in a small garden there is always a chance that you may set fire to the fences if the wind gets up. Also a bonfire means the opportunity to gather round with a few cans, then someone gets the barbecue going and it is not as if you are going to evade the police with all that smoke giving away your location.

Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 07:47 - Apr 11 with 2023 viewsChondzoresk

I had a major garden clearance last year. To clear all rubbish, weeds, brambles, trim back over grown hedges, for them to take it away. The lads I used did an amazing job. 1 day, 2 blokes £250. I could recommend him, but he’s in Norfolk. I tried a garden shredder, but I’d still be there now doing it.
Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 09:56 - Apr 11 with 1923 viewsGuthrum

Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 23:20 - Apr 10 by jeera

Pah, whadda you know?

You still use Thread View.

It was only an idea and of course doesn't have to be that particular machine. I was thinking along the lines of - if spending that much money - someone could maybe kit themselves out for longer term.

But yes, for a one-off job, hiring would get a better machine, I completely understand that.

Just remembering a couple of days spent in a garden very much like the OP describes. The shredder constantly jamming, or the bin was full. Or it would decide to seize a bramble at the same time it wrapped itself around my arm (blood everywhere). The inlet hole was so small you couldn't even feed decent handfuls of stuff into the machine. Side-branches would cause it to grind to a halt. Took a morning to chop everything down, then hours and hours of mindless, painful shredding.

Tho we did discover a shed the bloke had forgotten he owned. And a pond I kept putting my foot in.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 10:06 - Apr 11 with 1911 viewshampstead_blue

And you get a shredder!

I will absolutely second the idea of getting a shredder.

The one posted is a bit steep I got one for £250 from B&Q. Have had it for a few years now and love it.

Again, compost the chippings there.

Grab a decent small pruning saw, secateurs and thick gloves.

An outdoor speaker for your music.....you'll have it done in two days.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 11:28 - Apr 11 with 1873 viewscolchesterchris

Thanks all for the tips - really helpful! Might yet give it a go myself then (without the flamethrower!)

Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 12:30 - Apr 11 with 1837 viewsfactual_blue

Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 01:27 - Apr 11 by jeera

What could possibly go wrong?

Hang on. Weren't you in Australia earlier this year?

...And in Indonesia as well.

Where Karakota is now erupting.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 12:58 - Apr 11 with 1813 viewsjeera

Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 09:56 - Apr 11 by Guthrum

Just remembering a couple of days spent in a garden very much like the OP describes. The shredder constantly jamming, or the bin was full. Or it would decide to seize a bramble at the same time it wrapped itself around my arm (blood everywhere). The inlet hole was so small you couldn't even feed decent handfuls of stuff into the machine. Side-branches would cause it to grind to a halt. Took a morning to chop everything down, then hours and hours of mindless, painful shredding.

Tho we did discover a shed the bloke had forgotten he owned. And a pond I kept putting my foot in.

I was thinking along the lines of the one used in Fargo when I first mentioned it and was a bit disappointed to see the feeder holes on those advertised at Screwfix weren't big enough to fit a body into.

I think those are probably a bit more money tbf.

Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 13:00 - Apr 11 with 1806 viewsfooters

There's a certain thread my good friend posted here on the subject a while ago. I'll see if I can dig it up...

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 13:07 - Apr 11 with 1786 viewsWeWereZombies

Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 13:00 - Apr 11 by footers

There's a certain thread my good friend posted here on the subject a while ago. I'll see if I can dig it up...

If you dig it up then it will be your responsibility to cart it away...

Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 13:12 - Apr 11 with 1775 viewsfooters

Question for any garden clearance experts on here on 13:07 - Apr 11 by WeWereZombies

If you dig it up then it will be your responsibility to cart it away...

I hear Hacheston is lovely this time of year.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024