Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. 09:47 - Nov 10 with 1556 viewsunstableblue

...and we carved out 5 extremely good chances with some excellent build up play, with some very attractive football

Col U had very little it seems, bar Hdalky errors

Great penalties from Aluko, Celina and Chaplin

63% and 19 shots, 7 on target (as stated 5 of those on target perhaps should have been goals), 9 corners

I see some criticism of Cook for his relatively positive view of the game (he's normally spot-on/honest about how Ipswich have played).

EADT stated 'some decent stuff in there at times, but a fair bit of a rust' (you could see that with Piggot, who actually did well with the ball at his feet, just a bit more sharpness needed on finishing)

Phil stated: 'Town had more than enough chances to go through in the 90 minutes but failed to take chances with the final ball lacking on so many occasions.'

Yet the hive mind are stating 'dreadful performances', cook miles off with his 'excellent' view of the game, 'A boring game for boring competition. Some of our players looked a shadow of themselves tonight'

SO, for some that actually went, how was it and how were we? seems perhaps the lack of motivation and energy in the cup came back again. Must bring the energy to the Oxford game.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 09:50 - Nov 10 with 1368 viewsTractorBoyOlly

A lot of Hladkys errors in the first half were caused by Myles Kenlock abject display which led to Cameron Burgess having to play LB and leaving holes for Sears to exploit. He played well. Colchester’s goalkeeper arguably had a better match though and Eastman and Chambers were resolute.

Poll: Final points total?

Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 09:51 - Nov 10 with 1365 viewsSitfcB

Don’t understand the dreadful performance tag, think it’s just lazy as it was a 0-0 draw but wasn’t a 0-0 we have been accustomed to of late.

Col U keeper made one or two good saves, we maybe over worked it at times around the box but Col U were defending in numbers and the occasional poor decision made. Some neat and tidy play at times between Chaplin and Fraser.

The cup games were an unwelcome distraction from the league really due to the timing but I reckon the tempo will be raised again on Saturday with the ‘league team’ returning.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 09:55 - Nov 10 with 1342 viewswkj

Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 09:51 - Nov 10 by SitfcB

Don’t understand the dreadful performance tag, think it’s just lazy as it was a 0-0 draw but wasn’t a 0-0 we have been accustomed to of late.

Col U keeper made one or two good saves, we maybe over worked it at times around the box but Col U were defending in numbers and the occasional poor decision made. Some neat and tidy play at times between Chaplin and Fraser.

The cup games were an unwelcome distraction from the league really due to the timing but I reckon the tempo will be raised again on Saturday with the ‘league team’ returning.

I tend to agree. I agree with Cook that we played fairly well last night. Our passing and buildup play was solid - we were missing the goals.

Col U played the counter attacking game perfectly, and we almost came unglued, but there was a lot of players covering for others at the back that made it so we didn't get stung.

There were some players who I felt had bad games - Kenlock (Sick), Hladky (Redeemed himself a bit in the shootout), Chaplin (Had rubber boots), Barry (Excellent 15 minutes, but then became anon).

Had KVY not went off injured - he and Aluko looked deadly on the right last night, and we likely would have killed the game in the 2nd half.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 09:57 - Nov 10 with 1338 viewsBseaBlue

Yes, there was some really intricate play between the forward players although Barry and Chaplin didn't seem to be at it. Sone Aluko was excellent and key to all of the good things we did, particularly in the first half. The Pig was probably guilty of trying too hard but I was still impressed with his movement and willingness to try and create space. Fraser has layed a claim down for a central midfield role with his impressive display.

Defensively, there were massive concerns for me (including the keeper in that) We looked nervous on the occasions they did get forward and a simple ball over the top seemed to catch us out a few times. Why Clements didnt start is baffling.

For me, we desperately need that experienced and calming influence at the back and hopefuly this is addressed in January. We showed again that we have plenty of goals in us (I know we didnt score but we had multiple good chances)

On another note I wonder if we might keep an eye on Wiredu. He was tenacious and snappy in midfield whilst driving forward on occasions as well. I know a few of the Col U faithfull who rave about him and he impressed me last night.
Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 10:13 - Nov 10 with 1258 viewsGarv

Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 09:55 - Nov 10 by wkj

I tend to agree. I agree with Cook that we played fairly well last night. Our passing and buildup play was solid - we were missing the goals.

Col U played the counter attacking game perfectly, and we almost came unglued, but there was a lot of players covering for others at the back that made it so we didn't get stung.

There were some players who I felt had bad games - Kenlock (Sick), Hladky (Redeemed himself a bit in the shootout), Chaplin (Had rubber boots), Barry (Excellent 15 minutes, but then became anon).

Had KVY not went off injured - he and Aluko looked deadly on the right last night, and we likely would have killed the game in the 2nd half.

The Barry signing has to be up there in terms of disparity between hype vs return. Have to wonder if he hadn't scored that goal against Liverpool whether he'd be talked about so much. Most of that talking seems to have come from Villa fans because they seem him as some kind of mini Grealish, to be fair.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 10:16 - Nov 10 with 1245 viewsBseaBlue

Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 10:13 - Nov 10 by Garv

The Barry signing has to be up there in terms of disparity between hype vs return. Have to wonder if he hadn't scored that goal against Liverpool whether he'd be talked about so much. Most of that talking seems to have come from Villa fans because they seem him as some kind of mini Grealish, to be fair.

Hard to disagree with this really. I think his decision making massively let's him down. He can't seem to decide when it's the right time to have a go at some one or play it simple.

He clearly has a lot of technical ability but has a lot of work to do to match up to the hype.
Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 10:19 - Nov 10 with 1214 viewstractorboy1978

Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 10:13 - Nov 10 by Garv

You don't get signed by Barcelona unless you are pretty bloody good. I'm not sure we can really judge him at all - he's barely played and when he has it's been minutes here and there. He needs to go somewhere he's going play every week.
Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 10:36 - Nov 10 with 1170 viewsGarv

Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 10:19 - Nov 10 by tractorboy1978

You don't get signed by Barcelona unless you are pretty bloody good. I'm not sure we can really judge him at all - he's barely played and when he has it's been minutes here and there. He needs to go somewhere he's going play every week.

As a kid. They'll have got him for potential. You can only really judge him based on what we're now seeing in men's football, and he hasn't shown much.

He's started every cup game I think, bar Oldham. Those are the games where he should be staking a claim for league minutes.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Login to get fewer ads

Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 10:36 - Nov 10 with 1171 viewswkj

Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 09:57 - Nov 10 by BseaBlue

Yes, there was some really intricate play between the forward players although Barry and Chaplin didn't seem to be at it. Sone Aluko was excellent and key to all of the good things we did, particularly in the first half. The Pig was probably guilty of trying too hard but I was still impressed with his movement and willingness to try and create space. Fraser has layed a claim down for a central midfield role with his impressive display.

Defensively, there were massive concerns for me (including the keeper in that) We looked nervous on the occasions they did get forward and a simple ball over the top seemed to catch us out a few times. Why Clements didnt start is baffling.

For me, we desperately need that experienced and calming influence at the back and hopefuly this is addressed in January. We showed again that we have plenty of goals in us (I know we didnt score but we had multiple good chances)

On another note I wonder if we might keep an eye on Wiredu. He was tenacious and snappy in midfield whilst driving forward on occasions as well. I know a few of the Col U faithfull who rave about him and he impressed me last night.

I had singled out Wiredu as one to watch before the game. Staggering that Col U are doing so bad in the league as they have some solid players.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 10:47 - Nov 10 with 1140 viewsHighgateBlue

Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 09:51 - Nov 10 by SitfcB

There's only a certain number of times one can say that it was a good performance even if the result was not good. It's possible to be unlucky once, maybe half a dozen times, but eventually a pattern is formed, and one has to accept that a performance is not good enough if the result is way below what we need to challenge for promotion. I understand of course that this was a cup match, a mickey mouse cup at that, and we'd made 9 changes. But a 'good performance' is not just about the middle third. 'Some nice touches' is part of a good performance, but it's given far too much weight by certain optimists on here. It's fine to hope for the best, and to will on the team in that direction. That's what being a supporter is. But one should not let one's aspirations cloud an objective analysis of past performances.

I don't understand your point about the sort of 0-0 we have been accustomed to of late. It was our first 0-0 of the season.

In any event, as you say, let's hope the tempo is raised on Saturday and the team gets back to the steady progress that appeared to be occurring.
Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 10:50 - Nov 10 with 1125 viewstractor_lady

So I went and for a neutral it was a highly entertaining game. It felt a bit like we never got out of 2nd gear - felt almost like a training match. We did without doubt look the classier team and owned it but just very poor in final third (which we know is not how we have been playing). Keeper made a couple of howlers but he isn’t going to be full on sharp without playing, he also made a couple of excellent saves and dealt with crosses. I think there is a good keeper in there. Aloku first half looked a class above, did go quiet second, Celina again just oozed quality. Burns didn’t suit right back, I felt for KVY let’s hope it’s not another long term as he has looked close to his best in the last two Games’s. Piggot looked poor but again hasn’t been given game time, if Bonne had been playing we would definitely put goals away. For me the shining star was Fraser, absolutely bossed that midfield and just dictated play so well - he was everywhere! No 8 suits him which does give us a problem! (Or not if we have injuries)
Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 10:54 - Nov 10 with 1105 viewsunstableblue

I was sort of anti-Pizza cup going into last night, hence not attending... but given Cook is going to play a strong team in the FA Cup it seems (interesting to see who he plays up at Oldham), you realise the Pizza Cup is actually quite important as a work out for fringe and emerging players...

Piggot will have lost some of the rust, and sharpened. Clements may now start in these matches. Keeps Wolfenden, Burgess ticking (albeit sounding poor), run out for KVY. And a reminder as some people have stated that Fraser is quality and ready to go.

Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 11:01 - Nov 10 with 1061 viewsunstableblue

Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 10:50 - Nov 10 by tractor_lady

So I went and for a neutral it was a highly entertaining game. It felt a bit like we never got out of 2nd gear - felt almost like a training match. We did without doubt look the classier team and owned it but just very poor in final third (which we know is not how we have been playing). Keeper made a couple of howlers but he isn’t going to be full on sharp without playing, he also made a couple of excellent saves and dealt with crosses. I think there is a good keeper in there. Aloku first half looked a class above, did go quiet second, Celina again just oozed quality. Burns didn’t suit right back, I felt for KVY let’s hope it’s not another long term as he has looked close to his best in the last two Games’s. Piggot looked poor but again hasn’t been given game time, if Bonne had been playing we would definitely put goals away. For me the shining star was Fraser, absolutely bossed that midfield and just dictated play so well - he was everywhere! No 8 suits him which does give us a problem! (Or not if we have injuries)

I like Fraser he creates time on the ball.

We certainly are struggling to move up a gear in these cup games, and bring the necessary intensity.

Oxford is a HUGE test, they are top of the form league, 5 wins in the last 6, scoring for fun, and have the ability to pass around teams

Think we'll be able to judge this phase of the season better at 5pm Saturday

Does feel Celina is coming into form, thought Donacien looked sharp when he came on against Oldham, Edmundson on form, Walton solid, Morsy on his day can dominate... goals in Bonne. Burns excites.... Aluko seems in form as well, chaplin, edwards perhaps a little out of sorts???? I love fraser think he exudes class... but lack of pace.

I'm certainly enjoying this season and wouldn't join the 20% calling it a terrible Cook reign. Wycombe and Pompey away were my favourite town performances in years.

Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 11:23 - Nov 10 with 1006 viewslazyblue

If we had won that 2-0 it would have been held as a good accomplished performance unfortunately we did not get those goals from all the good chances we created hence boring / poor performance tag by some.
Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 11:28 - Nov 10 with 1000 viewsitfcjoe

I thought it was quite a dull game, Col U very disciplined, organised and solid -and we didn't do enough to work the opportunities.

Pace of game felt a bit slow, and too many opportunities to put a decent ball in or have a poke at goal were turned down which lead to things breaking down.

Watching the 2 minutes highlights back makes me wonder if I am misremembering the game, but it wasn't very exciting and only really Aluko made any real case to start at the weekend

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 11:41 - Nov 10 with 937 viewstractorboy1978

Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 11:28 - Nov 10 by itfcjoe

I thought it was quite a dull game, Col U very disciplined, organised and solid -and we didn't do enough to work the opportunities.

Pace of game felt a bit slow, and too many opportunities to put a decent ball in or have a poke at goal were turned down which lead to things breaking down.

Watching the 2 minutes highlights back makes me wonder if I am misremembering the game, but it wasn't very exciting and only really Aluko made any real case to start at the weekend

Fraser played very well too. Harper on the other hand looks a way off getting into a position where he is starting.

We struggled to inject any intensity into the game second half. Felt like we were playing in 1st gear and if it had been a league game we would have found another notch. Think in both this game and Oldham we were guilty of trying to over play at times rather than taking a shot when it opened up.
Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 11:47 - Nov 10 with 914 viewsunstableblue

Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 11:28 - Nov 10 by itfcjoe

There is a 10mins highlights on ITFC iFollow/EFL app

A lot of passages of good passing and attacking moves, where the final shot or decision were wrong, but nice to watch

But highlights don't always tell the story

We've been too slow, not dynamic and lacking in energy in these cup games, must show the fired up Ipswich we saw at Wycombe on Saturday, or we'll lose to Oxford - I think this will be the best side we have faced this season, real test. I'm hoping their style will suit us, and our players all 'turn up' and our American backer gets a real show.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2021 11:48]

Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 11:49 - Nov 10 with 887 viewsSwansea_Blue

yeah, kind of. My reading of it was it started out a cagey game. We struggled to break them down first half with far too mch square play in front of their midfield block. Patient, but dull and pointless. It lead to a bit of frustration and too many long balls over the top which we rarely won, and then nobody around Pig to pick up second balls.

We got much better though and started to break their lines as the game went on. 2nd half ended up reasonably exciting with more than enough good position to be able to capitalise. But then our quality let us down. I'm not sure what happened to Burns either. He started off with loads of space 2nd half and it looked the perfect game for him, but then we stopped using that outlet.

Fair play to Colchester though - they defended well and looked to cause us problems on the break. They didn't force much, but could have got something from that game through our own defensive mistakes (again).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 11:53 - Nov 10 with 866 viewstractorboy1978

Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 11:47 - Nov 10 by unstableblue

There is a 10mins highlights on ITFC iFollow/EFL app

A lot of passages of good passing and attacking moves, where the final shot or decision were wrong, but nice to watch

But highlights don't always tell the story

We've been too slow, not dynamic and lacking in energy in these cup games, must show the fired up Ipswich we saw at Wycombe on Saturday, or we'll lose to Oxford - I think this will be the best side we have faced this season, real test. I'm hoping their style will suit us, and our players all 'turn up' and our American backer gets a real show.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2021 11:48]

Oxford's away record isn't great. Lost 3 from 6 played. If we play with the sort of intensity we can do, I see a comfortable win.
Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 11:55 - Nov 10 with 863 viewsitfcjoe

Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 11:53 - Nov 10 by tractorboy1978

Oxford's away record isn't great. Lost 3 from 6 played. If we play with the sort of intensity we can do, I see a comfortable win.

Oxford are bigger flat track bullies than we were under Lambert and have been for some time - their record vs Top 8 opposed to the rest is mad......just hope we can be a top 8 side for the weekend!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 11:58 - Nov 10 with 841 viewsunstableblue

Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 11:53 - Nov 10 by tractorboy1978

'comfortable win'... loving your optimism

Their away game was a 3-1 win at Burton, with 60% possession and 22 shots, game before a 2-1 win at Sheff Weds, 50% posession, 15 shots

This is good team, who play football the right way, and are in a very rish vein of form

Win it, and we should be very very pleased

Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 12:05 - Nov 10 with 819 viewsunstableblue

Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 11:55 - Nov 10 by itfcjoe

Oxford are bigger flat track bullies than we were under Lambert and have been for some time - their record vs Top 8 opposed to the rest is mad......just hope we can be a top 8 side for the weekend!

'Flat track bullies' to be fair to them Joe... Oxford have moved into form in a fantastic run.. and in those 9 games the fixtures have only given them 2 top 8 sides to play - Sheff Weds and Wycombe... a win and a draw from those game ain't bad.

Looking forward to it... real test, and the consistency in League One has to finally come... we simply cannot, not turn up

Good test for Cook and the 'project' ( I know people hate that term)

Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 12:13 - Nov 10 with 784 viewsSitfcB

Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 10:47 - Nov 10 by HighgateBlue

There's only a certain number of times one can say that it was a good performance even if the result was not good. It's possible to be unlucky once, maybe half a dozen times, but eventually a pattern is formed, and one has to accept that a performance is not good enough if the result is way below what we need to challenge for promotion. I understand of course that this was a cup match, a mickey mouse cup at that, and we'd made 9 changes. But a 'good performance' is not just about the middle third. 'Some nice touches' is part of a good performance, but it's given far too much weight by certain optimists on here. It's fine to hope for the best, and to will on the team in that direction. That's what being a supporter is. But one should not let one's aspirations cloud an objective analysis of past performances.

I don't understand your point about the sort of 0-0 we have been accustomed to of late. It was our first 0-0 of the season.

In any event, as you say, let's hope the tempo is raised on Saturday and the team gets back to the steady progress that appeared to be occurring.

The 0-0s of last season, especially the ones under PRP.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 12:38 - Nov 10 with 703 viewsKeaneish

I’d largely agree with that although upgrade it from poor to OK. Mistakes aside, we were in complete control and the game resembled an attack versus defence training routine at times largely as Col U were happy to sit off all night.

I thought some of our play in and around the box was decent and there were some lovely, incisive balls forward at times. We retained possession well throughout. If Pigott’s goal had stood, the complexion of the game would have been completely different.

Either way, Fraser was the stand out player for me followed by Aluko. Both now worthy of minutes off the bench Saturday.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Didn't go last night; just watched 10mins highlights; some great play.. on 13:27 - Nov 10 with 599 viewsIllinoisblue

It was more frustrating than dull. Both teams had decent chances. Our decision making was just off for most of the game. Misplaced places or the wrong pass.

Aluko looked very good first half. Wiredu for them has potential.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024