Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Cook 17:51 - Dec 10 with 8486 viewspennblue

stands head and shoulders above any of the candidates being bandied about

Just saying

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Paul Cook on 18:23 - Dec 10 with 944 viewsMetal_Hacker

Recent record (end of last season over a third of this season )suggests otherwise

Poll: If it were one or the other

Paul Cook on 18:23 - Dec 10 with 944 viewspennblue

Paul Cook on 18:06 - Dec 10 by Asa

At the moment we are being linked to out of work managers who may have applied and the logical targets like Manning, Lowe (pre-Preston), Rowe etc and ambitious ones like Lampard and Terry.

We are not going to be linked to any of the number of decent managers currently in jobs here and abroad because of the way Ashton operates.

How many of the 19 signings were known until they were imminent. Not many.

I really took to Cook. But ultimately he’s failed to get a tune out of what should be the cream of this division, over half a season, having effectively been able to bring in his own entire squad. Whatever reason for it not working, Cook has been given a leg up most managers can only dream of and still failed dismally.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2021 18:16]

Even your logical targets are mostly totally unproven as managers

Paul Cook on 18:24 - Dec 10 with 939 viewsJ2BLUE

Paul Cook on 18:08 - Dec 10 by BlueandTruesince82

Everything accept time

Handed the best squad in the league. How much more time did this mega manager need and why did he need it when the squad is packed with quality?

I thought our business was done and then we went and got Morsy, Walton and Celina. It was a ridiculous window. Signings like Barry seemed to me like the owners just giving Cook such overwhelming array of weapons that he should be able to get us up without too much trouble.

I like Cook. He will find another club and likely be successful but he got it badly wrong here. Maybe it was being able to sign so many players. Maybe he's not cut out for that.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Paul Cook on 18:28 - Dec 10 with 915 viewsBlueBadger

Paul Cook on 18:23 - Dec 10 by pennblue

Even your logical targets are mostly totally unproven as managers

Given how we've fared over the last decade, with one exception(that you probably
HATE), getting in an unproven manager might not be so bad considering how poorly the 'proven' ones have done.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2021 1:26]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Paul Cook on 18:29 - Dec 10 with 909 viewswkj

Paul Cook on 17:53 - Dec 10 by pennblue

Lol - ‘he failed here’

You made me laugh out loud

He didn't exactly leave us in a position on the table higher than when he got here...

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Paul Cook on 18:32 - Dec 10 with 883 viewsBlueBadger

Paul Cook on 18:01 - Dec 10 by pennblue

Funny you mention Lambert, given the situation he is working with I think he did ok

Maybe we should get him back

Genuinely can't work out of all these fans of Free Beer and Improved football are trolls or for real now.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Paul Cook on 18:32 - Dec 10 with 883 viewspennblue

Paul Cook on 18:29 - Dec 10 by wkj

He didn't exactly leave us in a position on the table higher than when he got here...

I don’t care about the position, I care much more about what sort of football team he was creating.

I liked what I saw. Problems to solve sure, but I think everyone saw Pompey and Wycombe away. That would have been the end product if we had given him more time.

Paul Cook on 18:36 - Dec 10 with 856 viewsfooters

Paul Cook on 18:32 - Dec 10 by pennblue

I don’t care about the position, I care much more about what sort of football team he was creating.

I liked what I saw. Problems to solve sure, but I think everyone saw Pompey and Wycombe away. That would have been the end product if we had given him more time.

Scraping a draw against Barrow was where he was at in that process. Barrow.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Login to get fewer ads

Paul Cook on 18:36 - Dec 10 with 858 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Paul Cook on 18:24 - Dec 10 by J2BLUE

Handed the best squad in the league. How much more time did this mega manager need and why did he need it when the squad is packed with quality?

I thought our business was done and then we went and got Morsy, Walton and Celina. It was a ridiculous window. Signings like Barry seemed to me like the owners just giving Cook such overwhelming array of weapons that he should be able to get us up without too much trouble.

I like Cook. He will find another club and likely be successful but he got it badly wrong here. Maybe it was being able to sign so many players. Maybe he's not cut out for that.

4 months with a squad that dine know each othercfrom Adam. Yeah ages. Rome, built day etc.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Paul Cook on 18:37 - Dec 10 with 846 viewsBlueBadger

Paul Cook on 18:04 - Dec 10 by jayessess

Yeah, yeah, we've never had any poor managers, they all just inadvertently recruited all these terrible players who couldn't possibly be made into a decent team.

I suspect there was probably one REALLY bad one between 2012 and 2018 who had us panting above our weight a division higher and even nearly got us promoted once that he hates....

Paul Cook on 18:38 - Dec 10 with 841 viewsCaptMickMills

Totally agree
Paul Cook on 18:50 - Dec 10 with 795 viewsYallop

Paul Cook on 18:20 - Dec 10 by footers

Even as someone who was willing to dismiss last season's results and performances, and to give him a clean slate, it was clear it wasn't working bar a few freak results.

I liked him as a bloke and wish him well, but he can't really have any excuses with being dismissed. The coaching team were probably as much of an issue as anything else. Whatever the case may be, he failed. That much is clear. Why some persist with this love-in is beyond me.

If success or failure is judged on 30 odd games it'll be interesting if we are changing managers again at the end of the season
Paul Cook on 18:50 - Dec 10 with 794 viewspositivity

Paul Cook on 18:36 - Dec 10 by footers

scraping a draw against barrow is better than losing at non-league lincoln!

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Paul Cook on 18:53 - Dec 10 with 784 viewsSitfcB

Paul Cook on 18:36 - Dec 10 by BlueandTruesince82

4 months with a squad that dine know each othercfrom Adam. Yeah ages. Rome, built day etc.

These lot can’t be told I’m afraid.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Paul Cook on 18:55 - Dec 10 with 768 viewsfooters

Paul Cook on 18:50 - Dec 10 by Yallop

If success or failure is judged on 30 odd games it'll be interesting if we are changing managers again at the end of the season

Who knows? I think patience can certainly be a virtue but we saw very little in terms of progression under Cook, in style or results. Consistently inconsistent.

For someone managing a team that was bought for the sole purpose of buying the league effectively, he failed badly.

I'm happy we're no longer to plod along accepting mediocrity.

As I said, I liked him as a bloke and wish him nothing but the best. But he was given a job here and a clear target - he didn't perform as expected and now he is unemployed. That's it.

People can dream about 'what ifs' as long as they like but we are where we are, and that is currently mid-table in a league we really should be getting out of this season given the resources provided.

Paul Cook on 18:57 - Dec 10 with 767 viewsbazza

Paul Cook on 18:53 - Dec 10 by SitfcB

These lot can’t be told I’m afraid.

If you get a highly paid job in the future, bring in your own staff to work
Alongside you , and after 9 Months your team is underperforming and your pretty sh1t at your job.. you will probably get the tin tack. No one can deny it was getting worse not better.
Paul Cook on 18:59 - Dec 10 with 759 viewspennblue

Paul Cook on 18:36 - Dec 10 by footers

There were some really flat performances for sure. The defence was leaky, the set pieces were awful, the coaching staff was too weak, the players signed were not balanced enough.

Lots of mistakes were made, no doubt. But anyone you hire will make mistakes.

The question is whether you like the look of the potential destination. I did

We have been waiting years for that team. It was there, it is there, a couple of tweaks here and there and we will be flying in January.

Paul Cook on 18:59 - Dec 10 with 759 viewsfooters

Paul Cook on 18:57 - Dec 10 by bazza

Alongside you , and after 9 Months your team is underperforming and your pretty sh1t at your job.. you will probably get the tin tack. No one can deny it was getting worse not better.

I don't think sitters will get a highly paid job in future.

Unless the burger station pays more than fries.

Paul Cook on 19:01 - Dec 10 with 753 viewsRadioOrwell

Paul Cook on 17:53 - Dec 10 by pennblue

Lol - ‘he failed here’

You made me laugh out loud

Your idea of success is humorous.
Paul Cook on 19:09 - Dec 10 with 728 viewsHerbivore

Paul Cook on 18:32 - Dec 10 by pennblue

Picking out two outlier performances and trying to make out that they looked like becoming the norm when the reality was we'd backsid into turgid football and poor results over the last 5 weeks is incredibly disingenuous. If you were right and all that was needed was time it's hard to square that with over a month's worth of being rubbish at a point in time we were meant to have gelled. Truth is it looked very unlikely that Cook was ever going to get us going consistently.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2021 19:09]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Paul Cook on 19:10 - Dec 10 with 714 viewsbazza

Paul Cook on 18:59 - Dec 10 by footers

I don't think sitters will get a highly paid job in future.

Unless the burger station pays more than fries.

Work his way up the corporate fryer..
Paul Cook on 19:11 - Dec 10 with 701 viewsjayessess

Paul Cook on 18:59 - Dec 10 by pennblue

There were some really flat performances for sure. The defence was leaky, the set pieces were awful, the coaching staff was too weak, the players signed were not balanced enough.

Lots of mistakes were made, no doubt. But anyone you hire will make mistakes.

The question is whether you like the look of the potential destination. I did

We have been waiting years for that team. It was there, it is there, a couple of tweaks here and there and we will be flying in January.

After Rotherham I thought the likely destination was more underwhelming performances, followed by the sack, sooner or later. And lo...

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Paul Cook on 19:13 - Dec 10 with 690 viewsbazza

Apologies … my bad, I should have said unless you become a politician..
Paul Cook on 19:14 - Dec 10 with 693 viewspennblue

Have you ever hired 19 skilled people before and had them all finely tuned within four months?

If you have please chuck your name into the hat.

Paul Cook on 19:16 - Dec 10 with 682 viewsHighgateBlue

Well I'm sure you'll enjoy following his career, and I genuinely hope he succeeds in life.

Me, I'll follow Ipswich Town, and whoever is their manager. Not so much whoever is chatted about online in the weeks leading up to an appointment, but the actual manager.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024