Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Cook 17:51 - Dec 10 with 8487 viewspennblue

stands head and shoulders above any of the candidates being bandied about

Just saying

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Paul Cook on 21:43 - Dec 10 with 2171 viewsGuthrum

Paul Cook on 19:14 - Dec 10 by pennblue

Have you ever hired 19 skilled people before and had them all finely tuned within four months?

If you have please chuck your name into the hat.

We didn't need 'finely tuned' yet. Just broadly functional and showing evidence of steady improvement as a unit.

These aren't players who've never moved clubs before. Several of them had been coached by Cook in the past. They ought to know how a football team works. And if not, the coaching staff should have provided the instruction and leadership to drive the project forward.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Paul Cook on 21:52 - Dec 10 with 2134 viewsjeera

Paul Cook on 19:31 - Dec 10 by pennblue

4 solid signings in January and we will be flying

We have a lot of very good players, Just need a few more in certain positions

Everyone knows this.

"Everyone knows this."

Do they, are you sure?

Is that why he was fired, because everyone knows this?

Or do you think that maybe they wanted to see something happening before giving him more? The answer is to just throw more signings at the team despite seeing no progress with the one at hand?

As others have pointed out, this wasn't a tweaking that was needed, it was some clear sign of cohesion.

You just keep repeating the same things without taking any notice of what other people are saying.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Paul Cook on 22:01 - Dec 10 with 2118 viewsbazza

Paul Cook on 21:43 - Dec 10 by Guthrum

We didn't need 'finely tuned' yet. Just broadly functional and showing evidence of steady improvement as a unit.

These aren't players who've never moved clubs before. Several of them had been coached by Cook in the past. They ought to know how a football team works. And if not, the coaching staff should have provided the instruction and leadership to drive the project forward.

Exactly, I think one of the biggest factors, in the past we have given managers the time, excluding hurst who wasn’t really a proven manager like cook, and this time we acted swiftly rather than wait an see, even the most sceptic Paul Cook town fan, can say they wanted it to work, but it didn’t, end of.. we move on.
Paul Cook on 22:34 - Dec 10 with 2090 viewsreadtheleaguetable

Paul Cook on 17:58 - Dec 10 by footers

Read the league table. What can't speak can't lie.

I heard someone taking my name in vain!

Qu'est-ce que vous chantez? Nous chantons "Les Bleus, allez!"

Paul Cook on 22:45 - Dec 10 with 2084 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Paul Cook on 21:28 - Dec 10 by bazza

Obviously I sympathise with that, but we all lose loved ones throughout our lives, and I really don’t think it was the reason things were not working.. but nice try.

I wasn't suggesting that was why it wasn't working I was making that really was giving everything.

Tbe suggestion he wasn't flogging them will a bull whip suggest you feel otherwise

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Paul Cook on 22:53 - Dec 10 with 2075 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Paul Cook on 18:50 - Dec 10 by Yallop

If success or failure is judged on 30 odd games it'll be interesting if we are changing managers again at the end of the season

I suspect that if in 30 odd games we have gone backwards 4 places and are sitting just clear of the relegation zone and regularly losing games to youth teams and newly promoted teams whilst not beating any team in the top 6, then yes the new man will at best be on borrowed time.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Paul Cook on 22:57 - Dec 10 with 2068 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Paul Cook on 19:27 - Dec 10 by pennblue

I agree but the solution is to right those mistakes in the January window, not to sack the manager

Or to have in place a manager that hasn't made those mistakes and shown no sign of being able to improve on his obvious shortcomings (many of which you recognise and list above apart from adding in that you somehow "know" the real destination with Cook was going to be successful).

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Paul Cook on 23:28 - Dec 10 with 2035 viewstractorshark

Cook can’t moan about being sacked, his record here was poor.
And he put pressure on himself with his ‘demolition’ comments last season. That just gave the impression he would hit the ground running once he brought in his own players. Throwing last year’s players under the bus might have been justified but it was ill advised.
That said I wouldn’t have sacked him now.
I said a few weeks back he probably warranted being given the season purely because I didn’t think it would improve our chances of promotion by ditching him now.
It will take the new man time to bed in and, as we have all discovered, there is no guarantee of a honeymoon period.
But the biggest reason for not sacking him was who replaces him?
When I asked this forum who would we get, no one could offer realistic names.
And that’s how it’s panning out. I’m completely underwhelmed by the managers being bandied about and while I readily accept some of these are nonsense, it doesn’t exactly fill you with optimism.
I genuinely hope I am proved wrong and the owners have an ace up their sleeve but sacking managers without a replacement in mind rarely works out well.
Login to get fewer ads

Paul Cook on 01:03 - Dec 11 with 1983 viewstownblue

Paul Cook on 18:08 - Dec 10 by BlueandTruesince82

Everything accept time

How long though? Was quite clearly not working. Can't spaff the money we have and give it a year.
Paul Cook on 01:05 - Dec 11 with 1983 viewstownblue

Paul Cook on 18:32 - Dec 10 by pennblue

I don’t care about the position, I care much more about what sort of football team he was creating.

I liked what I saw. Problems to solve sure, but I think everyone saw Pompey and Wycombe away. That would have been the end product if we had given him more time.

I like teams that win games. Success is based on position btw.
Paul Cook on 01:17 - Dec 11 with 1972 viewsBlueBadger

Paul Cook on 21:43 - Dec 10 by Guthrum

Some of us kill by brute force. Guffers is always by stiletto.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Paul Cook on 06:07 - Dec 11 with 1936 viewsPioneerBlue

Paul Cook on 21:52 - Dec 10 by jeera

"Everyone knows this."

Do they, are you sure?

Is that why he was fired, because everyone knows this?

Or do you think that maybe they wanted to see something happening before giving him more? The answer is to just throw more signings at the team despite seeing no progress with the one at hand?

As others have pointed out, this wasn't a tweaking that was needed, it was some clear sign of cohesion.

You just keep repeating the same things without taking any notice of what other people are saying.

The sacking is looking pretty poor timing now. And 4 players in Jan was a realistic tweak for Paul Cook having reset and accumulated a new team in late many in late Aug. It was always a very big ask for the same players/coaches to have been picked up so quickly to then be the same ones to see through the promotion objective.

Left back (if not fit, send Coulson back)
Centre back (sell/move Wolf think he needs fresh start as it stands)
Centre Mid?
Left wing/Left Midfield (related to whether Celina/Fraser stays or goes)
Striker (Nors and Jackson time up; Bonne isn’t ours opportunity to take a view based on form/ availability/loan status)

All areas of weakness right now (x 4-5 players) where changes would make a big impact for a new head coach!

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Paul Cook on 06:40 - Dec 11 with 1903 viewsYallop

Paul Cook on 22:53 - Dec 10 by Nthsuffolkblue

I suspect that if in 30 odd games we have gone backwards 4 places and are sitting just clear of the relegation zone and regularly losing games to youth teams and newly promoted teams whilst not beating any team in the top 6, then yes the new man will at best be on borrowed time.

Really? So if we finish this season in the bottom third you'll want this manager out as well.

What a shower of impatient entitled fans we've turned into.
Paul Cook on 06:45 - Dec 11 with 1896 viewssolomon

Paul Cook on 17:53 - Dec 10 by pennblue

Lol - ‘he failed here’

You made me laugh out loud

Day out from WOTB is it?
Paul Cook on 06:58 - Dec 11 with 1866 viewsEly_Blue

Paul Cook on 19:14 - Dec 10 by pennblue

Have you ever hired 19 skilled people before and had them all finely tuned within four months?

If you have please chuck your name into the hat.

And who exactly chose to drop that many players and sign 19 new ones?

If you want to look at it another way he did feck all with 2 completely different squads of players, both of which were more than capable of being one of the best in the league, go defend that statistic

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Paul Cook on 07:07 - Dec 11 with 1848 viewsBlue_Heath

I would be amazed if the next manager doesn't get a better run of two victories in 44 games. On paper Cook was the stand out but Evans didn't learn anything from Lambert in that you need to bring the whole management team.
Paul Cook on 07:19 - Dec 11 with 1832 viewspennblue

Paul Cook on 06:58 - Dec 11 by Ely_Blue

And who exactly chose to drop that many players and sign 19 new ones?

If you want to look at it another way he did feck all with 2 completely different squads of players, both of which were more than capable of being one of the best in the league, go defend that statistic

You can't defend the statistics, they don't make good reading.

You can't defend some of the last few games either. Why did the team perform like they did in the 1st half against Barrow. What was that all about? What was going through their minds?

You can't defend it.

But lets take Klopp's record at Liverpool:

https://www.premierleague.com/clubs/10/Liverpool/season-history

He joined October 2015, and after 9 months in charge, they finished 8th.

So based on the 'stats' arguments, they should have sacked him right?

The truth of the matter is, we should have given him more time, and we have now shot ourselves well and truly in the foot.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2021 7:21]

Paul Cook on 08:14 - Dec 11 with 1751 viewsHerbivore

Paul Cook on 07:19 - Dec 11 by pennblue

You can't defend some of the last few games either. Why did the team perform like they did in the 1st half against Barrow. What was that all about? What was going through their minds?

You can't defend it.

The truth of the matter is, we should have given him more time, and we have now shot ourselves well and truly in the foot.

That's not the truth of the matter, that's your opinion.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Paul Cook on 08:16 - Dec 11 with 1750 viewsitfcjoe

Paul Cook on 07:19 - Dec 11 by pennblue

You can't defend it.

Klopp who finished the season at 2 points per game basically over last third of season and got to the UEFA Cup and League Cup final? Definitely similar to a manager who could string two wins together once in a season worth of games

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Paul Cook on 08:22 - Dec 11 with 1739 viewshoppy

Paul Cook on 17:58 - Dec 10 by footers

Read the league table. What can't speak can't lie.

Boris Johnson can barely speak, and he most certainly can.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Paul Cook on 08:24 - Dec 11 with 1737 viewsHerbivore

Paul Cook on 08:16 - Dec 11 by itfcjoe

Klopp who finished the season at 2 points per game basically over last third of season and got to the UEFA Cup and League Cup final? Definitely similar to a manager who could string two wins together once in a season worth of games

This is the thing that those who backed Cook to the hilt don't seem to acknowledge. It's not like we were improving under him, it's not like our trajectory was suggesting we were about to click and start going on a good run. It's not like he'd ever put together a run of results of a period of time that could give us confidence that he'd take us forward. He hadn't just done an average job here, he'd done a poor job, and recent performances and results were very much going the wrong way. And they were going the wrong way at precisely the time Cook's biggest fans had previously been telling everyone was when we'd be starting to click.

Of course we've seen the goalposts shift in recent weeks to say that actually we won't really start playing until we sign yet more players in January. And still they can't see what a failure that represents. Genuinely, some fans lost their heads over Cook. They're still star struck by his decent CV and can't see that he was failing hard here the whole time.

Paul Cook on 08:33 - Dec 11 with 1710 viewsHerbivore

Paul Cook on 08:16 - Dec 11 by itfcjoe

Also worth pointing out that an 8th place finish was at least higher than they were when he came in, so improving their league position and guiding them to two finals is really not a bad start. Cook took us backwards last season from where he took over and has taken us backwards again over the first 20 games of this season. Not remotely comparable.

Paul Cook on 08:37 - Dec 11 with 1704 viewspennblue

Paul Cook on 08:24 - Dec 11 by Herbivore

This is the thing that those who backed Cook to the hilt don't seem to acknowledge. It's not like we were improving under him, it's not like our trajectory was suggesting we were about to click and start going on a good run. It's not like he'd ever put together a run of results of a period of time that could give us confidence that he'd take us forward. He hadn't just done an average job here, he'd done a poor job, and recent performances and results were very much going the wrong way. And they were going the wrong way at precisely the time Cook's biggest fans had previously been telling everyone was when we'd be starting to click.

Of course we've seen the goalposts shift in recent weeks to say that actually we won't really start playing until we sign yet more players in January. And still they can't see what a failure that represents. Genuinely, some fans lost their heads over Cook. They're still star struck by his decent CV and can't see that he was failing hard here the whole time.

I get all that, and you can't argue with what you are saying. But at the end of the day, having faith in a manager comes down to whether you think he will get it right or not.

I am flogging a dead horse. We do need to move on. I hope the new appointment is soon, or even better we go and spank Wigan 5-0 today.

Paul Cook on 09:03 - Dec 11 with 1672 viewsMullet

Paul Cook on 08:37 - Dec 11 by pennblue

I get all that, and you can't argue with what you are saying. But at the end of the day, having faith in a manager comes down to whether you think he will get it right or not.

I am flogging a dead horse. We do need to move on. I hope the new appointment is soon, or even better we go and spank Wigan 5-0 today.

Faith is bullsh1t though. You don’t win anything on faith. That’s why we ended up relegated and wallowing in this sh1thole league.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Paul Cook on 09:11 - Dec 11 with 1638 viewsBiGDonnie

You're only as good as your last job.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024