Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Harris' first interview for Millwall - He might not be that bad you know. 21:58 - Dec 10 with 3105 viewswkj

He talks well, he's experienced with working with the youth and he knows the importance of fans.

I respect that he seems like an underwhelming choice for many, but he doesn't come across as clueless. The important thing - Harris used to be a striker, not a defender.

It is also worth mentioning that NH's 2016/2017 season saw Millwall finish 6th in the league. As a L1 team they also beat Bournemouth, Watford, and Leicester in the FA Cup - all three teams being in the premier league.

He might not actually be as bad an appointment as a fair few seem to believe.

[Post edited 10 Dec 2021 22:09]

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Harris' first interview for Millwall - He might not be that bad you know. on 03:43 - Dec 11 with 790 viewshype313

Harris' first interview for Millwall - He might not be that bad you know. on 00:20 - Dec 11 by Churchman

He for me doesn’t fit the stated ambition of the owners for me. There’s been all this talk about what they are going to do, they’ve put some structure into the club, done some good things, then bring in what feels like a Poundland manager. It all feels a bit shambolic.

However ‘seems’ and ‘feels’ are probably way off reality and more of a reflection of my disappointment in what is likely to be yet another poor season.

In the cold light of day, I hope whoever gets the job gets support and a bit more patience than Cook received. He will certainly get mine.

He certainly seems like a sideways move from having Cook in place.

But im at the point where my mantra is ABM.

(anyone but Megson)

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Harris' first interview for Millwall - He might not be that bad you know. on 03:54 - Dec 11 with 776 viewsdavblue

Harris' first interview for Millwall - He might not be that bad you know. on 00:35 - Dec 11 by wkj

Do you think that may be the way he set up to play because those were the types of players he had at his disposal? I am not arguing your point for the sake of argument - but given his short career in management, he may not be as set in his ways tactically.

Maybe but why would he abandon the ideas that he’s had that tbf to him he’s had reasonable success with?

I might be totally wrong and we get him and we are a direct team rather than a total long ball team but I would be surprised.

Don’t forget at Cardiff they had come down from
The premier league, so where no mugs.
Harris' first interview for Millwall - He might not be that bad you know. on 06:12 - Dec 11 with 743 viewsPioneerBlue

In fairness that was his first interview as a new manager. He spoke pretty well on is ethos. I’m more interested in his potential back room team and any risks, issues with that. We know from several learning opportunities this isn’t about 1 man, it’s the 2-4 man package that will set us apart going forwards.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Harris' first interview for Millwall - He might not be that bad you know. on 06:42 - Dec 11 with 712 viewspennblue

Harris' first interview for Millwall - He might not be that bad you know. on 06:12 - Dec 11 by PioneerBlue

In fairness that was his first interview as a new manager. He spoke pretty well on is ethos. I’m more interested in his potential back room team and any risks, issues with that. We know from several learning opportunities this isn’t about 1 man, it’s the 2-4 man package that will set us apart going forwards.

Agree totally, we need a set piece expert, a motivator (or 2), a tactician (I am sure there is more) ...... you are not likely to get all these things from one person.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Harris' first interview for Millwall - He might not be that bad you know. on 08:21 - Dec 11 with 639 viewsDubtractor

Harris' first interview for Millwall - He might not be that bad you know. on 03:09 - Dec 11 by TractorBoyOlly

You only have to look at the way Walton wants to release the ball quickly and hoof it up to Bonne at every given opportunity to realise that we are not really a passing team….

I was going to post something similar.

We may have recruited a passing team, and we may have started the season trying to do that, but lets not pretend that our team this season doesn't play an awful lot of long balls. Watching Bonne alone try and challenge 3 CBs for a long ball hasn't been great over the last few weeks.

Our passing football often means passing it amongst the back four, into midfield and back again, then going long to Bonne.

Of course we do pass it a bit as well, mostly down the flanks, but liquid football it isn't.

FWIW I have no issue with mixing it up a bit, we're in league one so it is par for the course.

I can't pretend that I wouldn't be underwhelmed by Harris though!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Harris' first interview for Millwall - He might not be that bad you know. on 08:40 - Dec 11 with 602 viewsradiogaga

Harris' first interview for Millwall - He might not be that bad you know. on 22:25 - Dec 10 by davblue

As I've said a few times. He's a long ball merchant, 1980's football.

We have recruited players to play a passing team, if we are tearing that up then we are throwing money away.

If he leaves quickly also, we end up with 3 managers, with potentially 3 different sets of players style wise. We have to recruit a manager who's playing style is getting the ball down to suit the players we have.

If the clubs philosophy is to be a long ball team then fine but we will have thrown money down the drain. We have to recruit managers who want to play the same style of football.

The club's philosophy right now is to get out of League One asap

Poll: How many points will Town need to make the off-plays?
Blog: Expectations of Paul Lambert's Ipswich

Harris' first interview for Millwall - He might not be that bad you know. on 08:44 - Dec 11 with 595 viewsblueconscience

Harris' first interview for Millwall - He might not be that bad you know. on 08:40 - Dec 11 by radiogaga

Which will not happen when new managers have to keep gutting the squad to fit their styles.

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Harris' first interview for Millwall - He might not be that bad you know. on 08:46 - Dec 11 with 593 viewslazyblue

He would be absolutely fine as manager. I really don’t see the issue with him. I do still think the nee manager may not even have been mentioned yet.
Login to get fewer ads

Harris' first interview for Millwall - He might not be that bad you know. on 08:49 - Dec 11 with 583 viewsdavblue

Harris' first interview for Millwall - He might not be that bad you know. on 08:21 - Dec 11 by Dubtractor

We may have recruited a passing team, and we may have started the season trying to do that, but lets not pretend that our team this season doesn't play an awful lot of long balls. Watching Bonne alone try and challenge 3 CBs for a long ball hasn't been great over the last few weeks.

Our passing football often means passing it amongst the back four, into midfield and back again, then going long to Bonne.

Of course we do pass it a bit as well, mostly down the flanks, but liquid football it isn't.

FWIW I have no issue with mixing it up a bit, we're in league one so it is par for the course.

I also don’t have a problem with us mixing it up and we aren’t total football but, we haven’t recruited to be a long ball team that’s a fact. I’m not saying we have players who can’t play that way but a fair few wouldn’t. Fraser, Chaplin, Bonne, Celina, Aluko, even the central midfielders wouldn’t suit that style.
Harris' first interview for Millwall - He might not be that bad you know. on 08:54 - Dec 11 with 570 viewsDubtractor

Harris' first interview for Millwall - He might not be that bad you know. on 08:49 - Dec 11 by davblue

I also don’t have a problem with us mixing it up and we aren’t total football but, we haven’t recruited to be a long ball team that’s a fact. I’m not saying we have players who can’t play that way but a fair few wouldn’t. Fraser, Chaplin, Bonne, Celina, Aluko, even the central midfielders wouldn’t suit that style.

"we haven’t recruited to be a long ball team that’s a fact."

I 100% agree with that statement, just observing that despite that we've still been playing a lot of pretty direct football.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Harris' first interview for Millwall - He might not be that bad you know. on 08:54 - Dec 11 with 567 viewsdavblue

Harris' first interview for Millwall - He might not be that bad you know. on 08:40 - Dec 11 by radiogaga

And then recruit a team who will more than likely be a long ball team. Then what happens in 18 months if we call it a day? We will have 4 sets of players recruited by 4 different types of managers Lambert, Hurst, Cook, Harris moving onto a 5th manager. We can’t keep writing off players each time we get a new manager with different styles of players. We will get ourselves into a muddle I guarantee it.
Harris' first interview for Millwall - He might not be that bad you know. on 08:55 - Dec 11 with 567 viewsbobbyramsey

He mentioned "bedding in time," is that the same as gelling?

Not allowed is it?
Harris' first interview for Millwall - He might not be that bad you know. on 09:02 - Dec 11 with 557 viewsChorleyBoy

There's a lot to like about him in that interview.

Interviews with managers after good performances as well as bad ones are normally filled with the usual set of soundbites and tired footballing expressions, but Harris spoke intelligently, at length and without repetition.

I think we would be a great opportunity for his career development and that's why I don't want a "proven name".

It's not a great deal to go on, but that video impressed me a fair bit.
Harris' first interview for Millwall - He might not be that bad you know. on 09:15 - Dec 11 with 531 viewsChorleyBoy

Harris' first interview for Millwall - He might not be that bad you know. on 08:54 - Dec 11 by davblue

And then recruit a team who will more than likely be a long ball team. Then what happens in 18 months if we call it a day? We will have 4 sets of players recruited by 4 different types of managers Lambert, Hurst, Cook, Harris moving onto a 5th manager. We can’t keep writing off players each time we get a new manager with different styles of players. We will get ourselves into a muddle I guarantee it.

Didn't we have a massive clear out in the summer? Do we really have three sets of players with incompatible playing styles currently at the club?

If what you're saying is true then if we replace Cook with a new man with comparable playing style who doesn't change the squad we'll still have 3 sets of players from 3 different types of managers, won't we?
Harris' first interview for Millwall - He might not be that bad you know. on 09:27 - Dec 11 with 520 viewsjayessess

Harris' first interview for Millwall - He might not be that bad you know. on 08:49 - Dec 11 by davblue

I'm not sure passing style is quite so straightforward as saying "you can only go direct if you've got physical players". Our two best goals this season (Bonne v MK Dons, Celina v Crewe) involved going long and no-one had to fight a physical duel.

There are lots of different ways to be direct, not all of them necessitate the Number 9 winning header after header against a 6'5" monster centre half.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Harris' first interview for Millwall - He might not be that bad you know. on 09:40 - Dec 11 with 502 viewsChorleyBoy

Harris' first interview for Millwall - He might not be that bad you know. on 08:54 - Dec 11 by davblue

Duplicate reply
[Post edited 11 Dec 2021 9:41]
Harris' first interview for Millwall - He might not be that bad you know. on 09:54 - Dec 11 with 489 viewsdavblue

Harris' first interview for Millwall - He might not be that bad you know. on 09:15 - Dec 11 by ChorleyBoy

Didn't we have a massive clear out in the summer? Do we really have three sets of players with incompatible playing styles currently at the club?

If what you're saying is true then if we replace Cook with a new man with comparable playing style who doesn't change the squad we'll still have 3 sets of players from 3 different types of managers, won't we?

Hurst Lambert, Cook and the new mans players so 4 in reality.

From Cook, we should be appointing a manager who has a similar style of play imo. If Harris' style of play is the way we want to go long term then that's fine. My point is mainly we shouldn't be appointing managers and flip flopping between styles it very quickly can end up in a mess if a manager isn't a reasonable success.
Harris' first interview for Millwall - He might not be that bad you know. on 09:56 - Dec 11 with 488 viewsdavblue

Harris' first interview for Millwall - He might not be that bad you know. on 09:27 - Dec 11 by jayessess

I'm not sure passing style is quite so straightforward as saying "you can only go direct if you've got physical players". Our two best goals this season (Bonne v MK Dons, Celina v Crewe) involved going long and no-one had to fight a physical duel.

There are lots of different ways to be direct, not all of them necessitate the Number 9 winning header after header against a 6'5" monster centre half.

that's true but Harris was a very much up and under style in his 2 jobs so far. Get it up to the big men upfront (2 target men) and have midfield runners getting up to support them for knockdowns bypassing the midfield.
Harris' first interview for Millwall - He might not be that bad you know. on 10:01 - Dec 11 with 481 viewsTractorJack

Harris' first interview for Millwall - He might not be that bad you know. on 08:21 - Dec 11 by Dubtractor

Yeah the stats are here - https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/8/Seasons/8620/Stages/19795/Te

We average more long balls per game than Wycombe. The only difference is we play a lot more short passes as well, but as you say majority in our on third.
Harris' first interview for Millwall - He might not be that bad you know. on 10:30 - Dec 11 with 456 viewsRadlett_blue

Harris' first interview for Millwall - He might not be that bad you know. on 03:09 - Dec 11 by TractorBoyOlly

You only have to look at the way Walton wants to release the ball quickly and hoof it up to Bonne at every given opportunity to realise that we are not really a passing team….

Walton nearly always looks for the quick throw, but rarely is a Town player available. If he plays it short, we end up with Toto dwelling on the ball, before lumping it. If we want to be a passing team, we should have recruited players comfortable with that and be playing Woolfenden, for example.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024