Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? 17:52 - Oct 24 with 7156 viewsMiaow

The only one for me is Griffin Park.

My dad also went to Griffin Park, as well as the old Wembley, Layer Road, Reading's Elm Park, the old White Hart Lane and (I think) Brighton's Goldstone Ground.

I know that one of my grandads would have been to the Boleyn Ground / Upton Park.

⋆⋆⋆ My Ipswich Town quizzes: https://www.jetpunk.com/series/1696326/hinckfords-ipswich-town-quizzes ⋆⋆⋆
Poll: Which of this season’s (outfield) shirts do you most prefer?

Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? on 18:37 - Oct 24 with 1870 viewsITFC_Forever

Morecambe
Man City
Tottenham
West Ham
Brentford
Brighton (x2 - Goldstone & Withdean)
Southampton
Arsenal
Cardiff
Stoke
Middlesbrough
Rotherham
Derby
Colchester
Reading
Oxford
MK Dons
Coventry
Leicester
Shrewsbury

Plus a couple I’ve probably forgotten…

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? on 18:42 - Oct 24 with 1847 viewsgiant_stow

I went to Rending's old sh1thole once to see Orient. Do i win a biscuit?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? on 18:43 - Oct 24 with 1844 viewsbrazil1982

Griffin Park, the Goldstone, old Webley, Burnden Park, old Den, St Mary's, Filbert St, WHL, Bootham Crescent.

Despite working very close to Arsenal's Highbury I never managed to see a match there.
Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? on 18:43 - Oct 24 with 1844 viewsjudespiveyg

Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? on 18:00 - Oct 24 by Steve_M

Griffin Park, Layer Road, Highbury, Boleyn Ground, Manor Ground, Maine Road, Millmoor.

Pretty sure I've missed one or two as well.

Edit: Old Wembley, White Hart Lane, Underhill.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2022 7:38]

Millmoor technically still exists, and still gets used. Just not by Rotherham.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? on 18:44 - Oct 24 with 1841 viewscarlisleaway

What a great post….
Old Wembley
Boothferry Park, Elm Park, Millmoor, Filbert Street, Layer Road, WHL, The Dell, Goldstone, Brighton Hockey Stadium !! Griffin Park, Upton Park, Baseball Ground, Roker Park, Wimbledon !!! Feethams ( Darlington) County Ground, Ninian Park, The Vetch, Gay Meadow, Highfield Road, Maine Road, Eastville, Victoria Ground, The Den, MK Dons Hockey Stadium, Highbury, Manor Ground, New Writtle Street ( Chelmsford ) might have missed the odd one
Few stories to tell at many of those grounds…
Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? on 18:49 - Oct 24 with 1826 viewsGeoffSentence

Upton Park, Goldstone Ground, Old Wembley, Layer Road, Whatever Northampton called the cricket ground they used to play on and The Dell, that's it for me.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2022 18:50]

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? on 18:50 - Oct 24 with 1827 viewsFtnfwest

Leeds road, Elm Park, goldstone, Highbury, Boleyn. Does white city count?
Plus filbert, griffin, old Wembley, the den (1978)
[Post edited 24 Oct 2022 19:10]
Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? on 18:54 - Oct 24 with 1818 viewsITFC_Forever

Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? on 18:44 - Oct 24 by carlisleaway

What a great post….
Old Wembley
Boothferry Park, Elm Park, Millmoor, Filbert Street, Layer Road, WHL, The Dell, Goldstone, Brighton Hockey Stadium !! Griffin Park, Upton Park, Baseball Ground, Roker Park, Wimbledon !!! Feethams ( Darlington) County Ground, Ninian Park, The Vetch, Gay Meadow, Highfield Road, Maine Road, Eastville, Victoria Ground, The Den, MK Dons Hockey Stadium, Highbury, Manor Ground, New Writtle Street ( Chelmsford ) might have missed the odd one
Few stories to tell at many of those grounds…

Brighton didn’t play at a hockey stadium.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Login to get fewer ads

Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? on 18:58 - Oct 24 with 1804 viewscarlisleaway

Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? on 18:54 - Oct 24 by ITFC_Forever

Must be Withdean %!!
Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? on 18:59 - Oct 24 with 1803 viewsmonty_radio

County Ground Northampton
Rushden & Diamonds
Layer Rd
Maine Rd
Goldstone Ground
Highbury
Old White Hart Lane
Griffin Park
Boleyn Ground
The Dell
Old Plough Lane
Old Wembley
Underhill Staduim (Barnet)
New Writtle st

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? on 19:00 - Oct 24 with 1804 viewsbluelagos

Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? on 18:54 - Oct 24 by ITFC_Forever

Presume he means Withdean?

Had to be the poshest area for a footie ground outside of Fulham and Bournemouth?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? on 19:11 - Oct 24 with 1787 viewsGeomorph

Maine road
Gay meadow Shrewsbury
Victoria ground stoke
Baseball ground derby
Old Wembley
Bournemouth
Goldstone ground Brighton
Ayresome park boro
Huddersfield’s old ground
Elm Park reading
Manor ground oxford
Filbert street
Highfield road cov
Ninian park
Rotherham’s old ground
Morecambe
Wigan
Burnden park Bolton
Walsall
Possibly more … does gigg lane still exist?
[Post edited 24 Oct 2022 19:38]
Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? on 19:24 - Oct 24 with 1761 viewsAlanG296

Remember going to many of those mentioned. Amazing how many teams have moved grounds in the time I've been going to football. Anyone else go to the Nieuw Monnikenhuize for Frans's testimonial?
Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? on 19:28 - Oct 24 with 1758 viewsKeno

Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? on 19:00 - Oct 24 by bluelagos

Presume he means Withdean?

Had to be the poshest area for a footie ground outside of Fulham and Bournemouth?

Withdean is a 'community' athletics stadium

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? on 19:32 - Oct 24 with 1754 viewsbluelagos

Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? on 19:28 - Oct 24 by Keno

Only went there once but remember we were sat in a temporary stand, that felt very wobbly from memory.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? on 19:33 - Oct 24 with 1755 viewsIllinoisblue

Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? on 18:26 - Oct 24 by Keno

Last time I was there we won 1-0, goal out of nothing very much against the run of play

Was there for the FA Cup game in, I think 1991. A raucous atmosphere and some trouble up in the away seats section. Proper cup game. Lost 2-3

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? on 19:33 - Oct 24 with 1753 viewsBluebell

Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? on 19:28 - Oct 24 by Keno

I remember Town playing there. That far end was just a field.

There was car parking on a road just off the junction of the A27 and a bus that took you to the ground.
Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? on 19:33 - Oct 24 with 1753 viewsOrangeboi373

The only ground I actually remember going to is Griffin Park, I may have went to the Boleyn but not vividly

Poll: Scariest Halloween costume

Oh do sshh you silly hippy (n/t) on 19:54 - Oct 24 with 1727 viewsDyland

Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? on 18:42 - Oct 24 by giant_stow

I went to Rending's old sh1thole once to see Orient. Do i win a biscuit?

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? on 20:08 - Oct 24 with 1703 viewsGuthrum

Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? on 18:35 - Oct 24 by Stenvict

Ninian Park

Same for me. we rather spoilt their final game there, by winning 0 - 3 under Roy Keane.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? on 20:18 - Oct 24 with 1690 viewsRadlett_blue

Griffin Park.
Elm Park
Upton Park
Highbury
Layer Road
Goldstone Ground
Filbert Street
Vetch Field
Old Den
Victoria Ground
Ninian Park
Baseball Ground
Manor Ground
National Hockey Stadium, Milton Keynes
Fellows Park
Plough Lane
Plus quite a few non league grounds, including - Underhill, Recreation Ground (Aldershot), The Stadium (Chelmsford), Brooklands (Romford) Watling Street (Dartford). Lynn Road (Ilford, used in the 1948 Olympics).
Quite a depressingly long list, reflecting the financial struggles of many small clubs & the increase in town centre property values.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? on 20:21 - Oct 24 with 1682 viewsChurchman

Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? on 18:15 - Oct 24 by Keno

Two not mentioned already

Goldstone
The Dell

I mentioned them! Goldstone Was a broken brick dump, the Dell brilliant. Peculiar stands right on top of the players. Great atmosphere and one of those where I saw us win, lose and draw and a couple of games as a neutral with a chum.

Griffin Park had a pub on each corner. I liked it.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2022 20:22]
Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? on 20:24 - Oct 24 with 1668 viewsChurchman

Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? on 18:24 - Oct 24 by Swansea_Blue

Wembley, Spurs White Hart Lane, Swans The Vetch, Reading Elm Park, Man City Maine Road, Bury Gigg Lane (not sure if it still exists after the re-structuring of Bury FC), there's a good argument for Molineux not being what it was (I've been to the old ground and the newer rotated version of it); Coventry Highfield Road, Derby's Baseball Ground, Cardiff's Ninian Park.

Can't think of any more off the top of me noggin, although I might have been to Bolton's Burnden Park , but memory a bit hazy on that one.

Edit - and Oxford's Manor Ground
[Post edited 24 Oct 2022 18:32]

With regard to Wolves, nice argument (I’ve been to both and understand what you are saying) but if it was accepted by the Committee, would Chelsea’s old vs new Stamford Bridge count?

I think not
Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? on 20:24 - Oct 24 with 1670 viewsJohnTy

Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? on 20:18 - Oct 24 by Radlett_blue

Griffin Park.
Elm Park
Upton Park
Highbury
Layer Road
Goldstone Ground
Filbert Street
Vetch Field
Old Den
Victoria Ground
Ninian Park
Baseball Ground
Manor Ground
National Hockey Stadium, Milton Keynes
Fellows Park
Plough Lane
Plus quite a few non league grounds, including - Underhill, Recreation Ground (Aldershot), The Stadium (Chelmsford), Brooklands (Romford) Watling Street (Dartford). Lynn Road (Ilford, used in the 1948 Olympics).
Quite a depressingly long list, reflecting the financial struggles of many small clubs & the increase in town centre property values.

Most memorable was Burnden Park where I saw the best goal ever scored against us by Frank Worthington. We were standing behind the goal, so got an excellent view, and my memory is that we all applauded it.
Which football grounds have you been to which no longer exist? on 20:27 - Oct 24 with 1665 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Old Wembley
Elm Park
Filbert St
Highbury
White Hart Lane
Upton Park
The Dell
Griffin Park
The Victoria Ground
The National Hockey Stadium

Poll: would you rather

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising