Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just Stop Oil 11:38 - May 25 with 12313 viewsGeoffSentence

Have done the Chelsea Flower Show now.

Is Nothing Sacred?

Edit: Just seen that Keno has done this already.
[Post edited 25 May 2023 11:45]

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Just Stop Oil on 14:48 - May 25 with 1489 viewsJ2BLUE

Just Stop Oil on 14:43 - May 25 by nodge_blue

I just checked and Putin, China, India, gulf states and Trump have all decided that they won't just stop oil.

Shame about the garden - though I suspect the designers will be magnanimous enough to acknowledge it for being a well intentioned if misplaced act. A lot of those gardens are weed friendly, insect promoting and trying to show us how to save nature and garden in a self sufficient way.

The sad facts as pointed out by Joe is that really we are on course for significant global warming. I think we will be relying on technology at some stage to try and save us.

And in the meantime as I said to herby yesterday, I hope they don't look at ITFC's efforts to grow grass under electric lamps just so that we can play football on the deck. Though maybe we won't need that with our new pitch??

We'll see who the real fans are when we're donating our carbon credits.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Just Stop Oil on 14:48 - May 25 with 1491 viewsitfcjoe

Just Stop Oil on 14:43 - May 25 by nodge_blue

I just checked and Putin, China, India, gulf states and Trump have all decided that they won't just stop oil.

Shame about the garden - though I suspect the designers will be magnanimous enough to acknowledge it for being a well intentioned if misplaced act. A lot of those gardens are weed friendly, insect promoting and trying to show us how to save nature and garden in a self sufficient way.

The sad facts as pointed out by Joe is that really we are on course for significant global warming. I think we will be relying on technology at some stage to try and save us.

And in the meantime as I said to herby yesterday, I hope they don't look at ITFC's efforts to grow grass under electric lamps just so that we can play football on the deck. Though maybe we won't need that with our new pitch??

If we want to reverse climate change, then really none of the hobbies we enjoy are sustainable - horse racing getting the brunt, but what does football do for the planet? Golf courses are a waste of green space. Houses are too big and unnecessary. Why brew beer and transport that around the country to drink, etc.

Science has to keep up with capitalism - a ban on fossil fuel lobbying would help enormously though

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Just Stop Oil on 14:52 - May 25 with 1477 viewsDanTheMan

Just Stop Oil on 14:42 - May 25 by itfcjoe

What is the best we are going to get though? A 'nudge' campaign which doesn't even touch the sides....

The only way out is serious money and time being pushed towards the research and implementation of greener energy etc - it is a capitalist world after all and the only way green energy beats fossil fuels is to be cheaper and better - anything else is for the birds

Funds and also probably laws to stop companies from doing the wrong things. Things like actually no more oil and gas should be achievable but not easy. We need a lot of infrastructure investment.

Just recently we saw that there are companies lining up to build new solar arrays. People need to basically deal with the fact we need onshore wind farms, whether they like it or not.

If we don't do anything, it's going to be very painful. If we do something now, it'll be a little less painful.

It's a seriously awful situation we've been left with but we've got to try.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Just Stop Oil on 14:53 - May 25 with 1474 viewsRyorry

Just Stop Oil on 14:33 - May 25 by DanTheMan

You're right that you, individually, can not do a lot. It would be like me trying to raise money for the NHS by paying slightly more taxes by myself, it's just not going to work.

It's only through action at a societal level that anything will get done. The biggest and best thing you can do is vote for people who will do something about it, whilst doing your best to cut down elsewhere.

The whole "your climate footprint" was a brilliant and horrifying piece of marketing from BP to get people to blame themselves instead of looking at them.

Not just societal, needs to be international with all the worst offenders signing up - ie Russia, USA, China, India, Brazil etc. - see Guther's post above.

My suggestion of an international agency, like WHO but with authority & power, went down like a lead balloon t'other day, & if the (mostly) good, responsible people posting on TWTD wouldn't accept it, it's just something else that'll never happen till the situation's is in such a 'here and now imminent devastation' for the countries listed (and others) that it'll be too late.

What J2 said re individuals mostly being angry only when it affects them, also applies to nation states only being prepared to act when it's inescapable that CC is about to catastrophically affect their own landmass, population and economy.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Just Stop Oil on 14:54 - May 25 with 1473 viewsPhilTWTD

Just Stop Oil on 14:36 - May 25 by DanTheMan

It's worth mentioning that population growth as a percentage is on a downward trajectory, not upwards. It's predicted that the population will actually peak relatively soon.

I was going to add that and specifically the Chinese population is in decline.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/order-from-chaos/2023/04/24/chinas-shrinking-popu

This post has been edited by an administrator
Just Stop Oil on 14:57 - May 25 with 1463 viewsnodge_blue

Just Stop Oil on 14:48 - May 25 by itfcjoe

If we want to reverse climate change, then really none of the hobbies we enjoy are sustainable - horse racing getting the brunt, but what does football do for the planet? Golf courses are a waste of green space. Houses are too big and unnecessary. Why brew beer and transport that around the country to drink, etc.

Science has to keep up with capitalism - a ban on fossil fuel lobbying would help enormously though

I agree. I was thinking that as I wrote yesterday. The global carbon footprint of football must be enormous. All the travelling, power for stadiums, tens of thousands of fans flying around Europe for football games. And then there's the World Cup.

I mean if they re going to go after the Chelsea flower show then why not a football pitch?

And who gets to decide whose hobby is more important.

Like you said we could just limit ourselves to zero holidays, zero hobbies. Stop the internet as that uses huge resources.

And when we have a cold winter - as we saw last year - all we are talking about is the need for governments to make sure we get enough cheap oil and gas in the Winter. The narrative was never about oh maybe this is a good thing that people are freezing their bits off.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Just Stop Oil on 15:01 - May 25 with 1452 viewsitfcjoe

Just Stop Oil on 14:52 - May 25 by DanTheMan

Funds and also probably laws to stop companies from doing the wrong things. Things like actually no more oil and gas should be achievable but not easy. We need a lot of infrastructure investment.

Just recently we saw that there are companies lining up to build new solar arrays. People need to basically deal with the fact we need onshore wind farms, whether they like it or not.

If we don't do anything, it's going to be very painful. If we do something now, it'll be a little less painful.

I agree re onshore wind etc, and like housebuilding it needs targets and people are going to have to learn to get over things, or at the very least learn to deal with it.

Energy needs to be fully green and sustainable ASAP, but a lot of it needs to get better and will in time

Just Stop Oil on 15:04 - May 25 with 1445 viewsHerbivore

Just Stop Oil on 14:48 - May 25 by itfcjoe

I think if anyone still thinks capitalism isn't the major problem here then we're really screwed. Rather than trying to adapt science to keep up with capitalism maybe it's time for capitalism to get in the sea.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Just Stop Oil on 15:05 - May 25 with 1438 viewsRyorry

Just Stop Oil on 14:42 - May 25 by itfcjoe

What is the best we are going to get though? A 'nudge' campaign which doesn't even touch the sides....

The only way out is serious money and time being pushed towards the research and implementation of greener energy etc - it is a capitalist world after all and the only way green energy beats fossil fuels is to be cheaper and better - anything else is for the birds

As far as the UK's concerned, it would help if the bulk of tory PMs & cabinet ministers (and their mates in supporting industries like banking) hadn't, since the 1990s, had shares & other vested industries in fossil fuels.

Never fails to make me sick that the tory party, supposed gurus of Managing The Economy, couldn't or wouldn't see since the early 90s that there was huge scope to develop a highly profitable green economy & become world leaders in renewables - we had the higher education establishments, the research capacity, the engineers & technology to get it going. If someone like me who'd never studied economics could see it, why couldn't they? Politicians too blinkered, short-termist & corrupt is my guess

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Just Stop Oil on 15:05 - May 25 with 1436 viewsitfcjoe

Just Stop Oil on 15:04 - May 25 by Herbivore

I think if anyone still thinks capitalism isn't the major problem here then we're really screwed. Rather than trying to adapt science to keep up with capitalism maybe it's time for capitalism to get in the sea.

But that simply isn't ever going to happen

Just Stop Oil on 15:06 - May 25 with 1429 viewsHerbivore

Just Stop Oil on 15:05 - May 25 by itfcjoe

Then we're all completely screwed.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Just Stop Oil on 15:10 - May 25 with 1415 viewsitfcjoe

Just Stop Oil on 15:06 - May 25 by Herbivore

Then we're all completely screwed.

And when you look at the timelines being spoken about for how long we need to sort this out by, then it is even more unrealistic to expect the end of capitalism to come in the next year or two

Just Stop Oil on 15:23 - May 25 with 1368 viewsNthQldITFC

Just Stop Oil on 15:05 - May 25 by itfcjoe

Why?

It is going to happen one way or the other. Why not voluntarily, if necessary by unilateral action and hoping for as much example-following as possible. We have to let go and be brave and selfless and ditch our preconceptions of 'how it is'.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Just Stop Oil on 15:25 - May 25 with 1357 viewsJ2BLUE

Just Stop Oil on 15:23 - May 25 by NthQldITFC

Why?

It is going to happen one way or the other. Why not voluntarily, if necessary by unilateral action and hoping for as much example-following as possible. We have to let go and be brave and selfless and ditch our preconceptions of 'how it is'.

We are going to be the ones suffering, not the rich so they will make their preparations and build their own arks ready to abandon us when the time comes.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Just Stop Oil on 16:09 - May 25 with 1327 viewsStokieBlue

Just Stop Oil on 14:52 - May 25 by DanTheMan

Don't understand why people don't like wind turbines.

I think they improve many landscapes, an excellent juxtaposition of human ingenuity and nature.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Just Stop Oil on 16:23 - May 25 with 1308 viewsCotty

Just Stop Oil on 12:11 - May 25 by itfcjoe

Upper-Middle class white people continuing to ruin everything

That's absolutely true, but probably not in the way you intended
Ha! What a bunch of divs. (n/t) on 18:16 - May 25 with 1231 viewsSitfcB

Ha! What a bunch of divs. (n/t) on 13:42 - May 25 by GeoffSentence

In what way?

In every way.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Just Stop Oil on 20:08 - May 25 with 1166 viewsLord_Lucan

Just Stop Oil on 14:47 - May 25 by StochesStotasBlewe

The problem in part then is a rapidly increasing population that eventually won’t be sustainable and appears to be a topic that is increasingly overlooked or deliberately ignored.
More land and natural resources needed that are having a massive negative impact on the environment leading to the problems that we are facing and will continue to do so.
No one wants to address this issue though.
Time for a grown up debate about how to slow down the birth rate, although I suspect in time nature will find its own way.

I found this re - Shenzhen

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Just Stop Oil on 20:14 - May 25 with 1142 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Just Stop Oil on 20:08 - May 25 by Lord_Lucan

I found this re - Shenzhen

Bloody Hell.
Wonder how many other places have seen this amount of development. The mind boggles. Also add in another nigh on 20 years and it is quite staggering.
[Post edited 25 May 2023 20:16]

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Just Stop Oil on 20:31 - May 25 with 1106 viewseireblue

Just Stop Oil on 20:14 - May 25 by StochesStotasBlewe

Bloody Hell.
Wonder how many other places have seen this amount of development. The mind boggles. Also add in another nigh on 20 years and it is quite staggering.
[Post edited 25 May 2023 20:16]

Just Stop Oil on 20:35 - May 25 with 1092 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Just Stop Oil on 20:31 - May 25 by eireblue

Dubai came to mind after seeing Lucans photo.
Would imagine in China alone there has been development on this scale in scores of places.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Ha! What a bunch of divs. (n/t) on 20:43 - May 25 with 1079 viewsGeoffSentence

Ha! What a bunch of divs. (n/t) on 18:16 - May 25 by SitfcB

In every way.

This is the most gentile, harmless protest imaginable. No harm done except a bit of orange colouring which will easily wash away, and people still complain.

Anyone who objects to that as a form of protest is revealing themselves as against the idea of protest at all.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Just Stop Oil on 20:48 - May 25 with 1061 viewsSwansea_Blue

Just Stop Oil on 15:10 - May 25 by itfcjoe

And when you look at the timelines being spoken about for how long we need to sort this out by, then it is even more unrealistic to expect the end of capitalism to come in the next year or two

It can and could be regulated though. Except for the massive self interest and £millions (£billions globally?) spent on lobbying governments to not regulate.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Just Stop Oil on 21:29 - May 25 with 991 viewsLord_Lucan

Just Stop Oil on 20:35 - May 25 by StochesStotasBlewe

Dubai came to mind after seeing Lucans photo.
Would imagine in China alone there has been development on this scale in scores of places.

Yeah, Dubai has seen some tremendous growth but China is like that everywhere.

Edit - also the population of Dubai is 3 million and then it's sand. Shenzhen is 13 million and as mentioned earlier it is now pretty much part of a Super City with a population of around 50 million.

I have no desire to go to Dubai though, it just isn't my thing.

China though is just mind boggling in what they do, they are incredible people - the problem though is that they simply chuck villagers out of their homes, tell them to feck off, give them 5000 RMB each and build a city.

They have built scores of high speed train networks in the time it took us to get to the next step of a planning meeting. Changsha High Speed Station was, I think built about 10 years ago and they are now building another because it's up to capacity.

I travelled to Changsha from Guangzhou on the high speed and they have 127 trains a day doing this route going at > 300 kmh !!

These are pics of just a small part of Changsha station

When you see this craziness - only then can you fully realise that throwing orange cornflour over a few geraniums is utterly pointless.

I mean, you can try and argue that they are raising awareness but if you really look at it then you will have to admit it's of no use.

Like it or not - nature or man himself will have to find a solution.
[Post edited 25 May 2023 22:43]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Just Stop Oil on 21:43 - May 25 with 961 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Just Stop Oil on 21:29 - May 25 by Lord_Lucan

Yeah, Dubai has seen some tremendous growth but China is like that everywhere.

Edit - also the population of Dubai is 3 million and then it's sand. Shenzhen is 13 million and as mentioned earlier it is now pretty much part of a Super City with a population of around 50 million.

I have no desire to go to Dubai though, it just isn't my thing.

China though is just mind boggling in what they do, they are incredible people - the problem though is that they simply chuck villagers out of their homes, tell them to feck off, give them 5000 RMB each and build a city.

They have built scores of high speed train networks in the time it took us to get to the next step of a planning meeting. Changsha High Speed Station was, I think built about 10 years ago and they are now building another because it's up to capacity.

I travelled to Changsha from Guangzhou on the high speed and they have 127 trains a day doing this route going at > 300 kmh !!

These are pics of just a small part of Changsha station

When you see this craziness - only then can you fully realise that throwing orange cornflour over a few geraniums is utterly pointless.

I mean, you can try and argue that they are raising awareness but if you really look at it then you will have to admit it's of no use.

Like it or not - nature or man himself will have to find a solution.
[Post edited 25 May 2023 22:43]

Thanks for posting that.
I realised China was developing quickly but had no idea how rapidly. That’s actually quite scary.
There’s not a cat in hells chance they’re going to change direction is there.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024