Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 13:08 - Jun 1 with 8573 viewsSamWhiteUK

Thought I'd create a thread for us golfers on the site! A dedicated thread is something that works quite well on other forums I frequent. Set up rounds, discuss recent performance, moans and gripes (we should be good at that part!), equipment....

So, any other hackers among us?
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 21:12 - Jun 2 with 2557 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 21:30 - Jun 1 by hoppy

If you’d be at all interested in a football golf day… can I just drop this in here, in case it’s of interest to anyone…?

Much as I'd like to play in this, I live 140 miles away, so its a long trip for a game of golf. Think it's a thanks but no thanks from me.

Poll: would you rather

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 23:50 - Jun 2 with 2519 viewsSamWhiteUK

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 19:54 - Jun 2 by TheMover

Sam, it is quite tight, but, it isn't covered in loads of gorse so can usually get the ball back in play. Based in Constable country so good views and reasonably hilly, for Suffolk, so makes for some more interesting holes, all of which have names. Death or Glory is SI 18!
I really do wonder how they work out the SI sometimes, certainly not the easiest hole :)

Yeah I love the names of the holes, that's a really nice touch!
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 10:53 - Jun 5 with 2418 viewsSamWhiteUK

Played with a guy yesterday who was absolutely tonking it round, finished 5 over par, and he said that was poor from him!! To top it all off, he said that he only really plays in the summer once a week, because he plays football during the winter. Some people are just naturals I guess! This guy's drive was something else.

I asked him about his football and he said he plays step 5 (which doesn't mean much to me, but apparently it's a couple of divisions below national league or something?) Anyway, he asked who I support and I said Ipswich, and he goes, "oh yeah, my mate used to play there..." and I'm expecting him to say some academy player etc, then he finishes the sentence "Flynn Downes"! He also told me that he's mates with a couple of guys who play for Charlton, a guy who is on loan at Barnsley I think, and that he has played against Trevoh Chalobah.

Made me laugh when he described Flynn as "doing quite well at West Ham" like it was just another local team and not one playing in the Prem and European football lol
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 00:39 - Jun 16 with 2247 viewsSamWhiteUK

Anyone watching the US Open?

Early days but Rory is looking like he's turned up - he is absolutely striping it.

US Open record broken twice today, and two aces!
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 01:39 - Jun 16 with 2234 viewshoppy

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 11:59 - Jun 2 by SamWhiteUK

Thanks for sharing Hoppy... I would be interested, definitely. We could put a TWTD team together?

Just an update on this. We had a meeting last night and it was mentioned that the date of this golf day is likely to change. If there’s interest there, I’ll post a further update with the revised date once I know it, if you like?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 07:39 - Jun 16 with 2194 viewsthe_toff

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 21:47 - Jun 1 by strikalite

I think if you're a high handicap player and you haven't got the time to practice a lot, preferably with lessons, then your best way of getting your score down is around the green with chipping and putting, so many aspects to the game as you say but get better around the greens and even if the rest of your game is off you can still turn a bad round into an ok one, you'll be surprised how many shots from around the greens are lost when you count them up..

That’s very true. <100 yards from the pin is where you need to be very tight and not drop too many shots. That’s an area of my game that’s ok, and off the tee I’m getting better. Longer and more consistent. My weakest area is mid fairway approach shots which have been awful lately, anything between about 130-300 yards out from the pin. It’s like I’ve tightened up my drives and compromised my iron shots with it. Frustrating game but I played at the weekend and shot an 88 which is good for me. I’ll never be more than a low 20’s handicap and I’m fine with that.
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 07:42 - Jun 16 with 2193 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 01:39 - Jun 16 by hoppy

Just an update on this. We had a meeting last night and it was mentioned that the date of this golf day is likely to change. If there’s interest there, I’ll post a further update with the revised date once I know it, if you like?

Yes please hoppy.

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 08:00 - Jun 16 with 2185 viewsChurchman

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 21:47 - Jun 1 by strikalite

I think if you're a high handicap player and you haven't got the time to practice a lot, preferably with lessons, then your best way of getting your score down is around the green with chipping and putting, so many aspects to the game as you say but get better around the greens and even if the rest of your game is off you can still turn a bad round into an ok one, you'll be surprised how many shots from around the greens are lost when you count them up..

Spot on. Chipping and putting is the key to a decent score.

I really enjoy the game. I play for a golf society and with friends, but all too rarely sadly. I got down to around 14 but am nearer 114 now. It was always a social thing with a bit of competition now and again for me. Done a few golf tours in Germany, Spain, Portugal and Cornwall and they’re fun if you get the chance.
Login to get fewer ads

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 08:18 - Jun 16 with 2184 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 08:00 - Jun 16 by Churchman

Spot on. Chipping and putting is the key to a decent score.

I really enjoy the game. I play for a golf society and with friends, but all too rarely sadly. I got down to around 14 but am nearer 114 now. It was always a social thing with a bit of competition now and again for me. Done a few golf tours in Germany, Spain, Portugal and Cornwall and they’re fun if you get the chance.

All aspects of the game are important, but above all it is consistency. Embedding your swing and techniques into "muscle memory" so that a duff shot becomes rare. For beginners, thee will be loads of duffed shots, but trying to understand why you hit a good shot, what you did differently, and why you hit a duffed one, and then being able to embed the good habits is key. So that means getting a big practice bag of balls and spending time on the practice ground, and if you can't work out what you did to hit the good or bad shot, getting some help from a pro.
I'm pretty consistent now, playing off 12, lowest I've been is 10. I still have the odd lesson if things start to go awry. I'm going up to Suffolk for 3 days golf in July, culminating in playing in the seniors pairs comp at Purdis Heath on 20th. Purdis Heath is one of my fave courses anywhere, absolutely superb. If the charity golf day was on or next to one of the day I'm up there, then I'd be up for joining.

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 10:36 - Jun 16 with 2154 viewsChurchman

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 08:18 - Jun 16 by LegendofthePhoenix

All aspects of the game are important, but above all it is consistency. Embedding your swing and techniques into "muscle memory" so that a duff shot becomes rare. For beginners, thee will be loads of duffed shots, but trying to understand why you hit a good shot, what you did differently, and why you hit a duffed one, and then being able to embed the good habits is key. So that means getting a big practice bag of balls and spending time on the practice ground, and if you can't work out what you did to hit the good or bad shot, getting some help from a pro.
I'm pretty consistent now, playing off 12, lowest I've been is 10. I still have the odd lesson if things start to go awry. I'm going up to Suffolk for 3 days golf in July, culminating in playing in the seniors pairs comp at Purdis Heath on 20th. Purdis Heath is one of my fave courses anywhere, absolutely superb. If the charity golf day was on or next to one of the day I'm up there, then I'd be up for joining.

12 and below is proper golfing. I rarely played to that level. The most useful things I’ve learned are:

When all else fails, concentrate on getting your grip right
In competition, try not to over hit the ball.

Try not to dwell on bad shots. Golf is a switch on, switch off game. Top players are able to do this. Hackers like me rarely can

Remember it’s fun and enjoy it. I have seen far too many on a course forgetting that. I played in a golf day recently and one of our four (a pleasant bloke, who I didn’t know) didn’t play well. A good player (8 handicap) he was all over the shop. He got more and more wound up as the round progressed and forgot why we were there. After the 18th green hand shake, he refused to stay for a drink or the dinner. He missed the point. Good golfer though he is, he’s not going to earn a living off it.

Take what you can from the day, even if it’s the company and a walk in the countryside.
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 12:34 - Jun 16 with 2129 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 10:36 - Jun 16 by Churchman

12 and below is proper golfing. I rarely played to that level. The most useful things I’ve learned are:

When all else fails, concentrate on getting your grip right
In competition, try not to over hit the ball.

Try not to dwell on bad shots. Golf is a switch on, switch off game. Top players are able to do this. Hackers like me rarely can

Remember it’s fun and enjoy it. I have seen far too many on a course forgetting that. I played in a golf day recently and one of our four (a pleasant bloke, who I didn’t know) didn’t play well. A good player (8 handicap) he was all over the shop. He got more and more wound up as the round progressed and forgot why we were there. After the 18th green hand shake, he refused to stay for a drink or the dinner. He missed the point. Good golfer though he is, he’s not going to earn a living off it.

Take what you can from the day, even if it’s the company and a walk in the countryside.

Yep, good advice. Although I am competitive, I always remember that I do it for enjoyment. It's such a privilege to spend 4 hours on a pretty golf course, when there are so many people unable to have that opportunity.

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 20:41 - Jun 17 with 2044 viewsSamWhiteUK

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 01:39 - Jun 16 by hoppy

Yeah I'd be well up for that. Keep us updated!
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 07:13 - Jun 18 with 1970 viewslazyblue

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 20:41 - Jun 17 by SamWhiteUK

Been average golfer for 30years now, left Fynn valley as 11 handicap joined Ufford 2 years ago and now up to 14(difficult course). If I drive well I play well but if driving is off then it can be anything.

Love the game and could be a long night tonight watching the US Open particularly as a big Rory fan.
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 20:35 - Jun 18 with 1918 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 07:13 - Jun 18 by lazyblue

Been average golfer for 30years now, left Fynn valley as 11 handicap joined Ufford 2 years ago and now up to 14(difficult course). If I drive well I play well but if driving is off then it can be anything.

Love the game and could be a long night tonight watching the US Open particularly as a big Rory fan.

I think/hope Rory has a real chance this time. I'm also a big Rory fan, the guy has a lot of loyalty and is very intelligent, not unlike another Northern Irishman we talk about on here! But no way am I staying up to 4 am to watch it.

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 10:24 - Jun 20 with 1786 viewsSamWhiteUK

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 20:35 - Jun 18 by LegendofthePhoenix

I think/hope Rory has a real chance this time. I'm also a big Rory fan, the guy has a lot of loyalty and is very intelligent, not unlike another Northern Irishman we talk about on here! But no way am I staying up to 4 am to watch it.

It was 2.45 when it finished! Muggins here stayed up and watched.

Felt for Rory, but hats off to Clark, who got his nose in front and kept it there. Well deserved.

If Rory carries on like that he's got a great chance at Liverpool; a win there would shut a lot of people up.
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 15:18 - Jun 20 with 1741 viewshoppy

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 20:41 - Jun 17 by SamWhiteUK

The Ipswich Wanderers Golf Day WON'T now be on 14th July - but date is still TBA.

The plan now is to wait until the Isthmian League fixtures are out, so it can be planned in to avoid any potential fixture clashes. Probably take place sometime in August or September now.

I will update further once I know more.

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 22:38 - Jun 20 with 1688 viewsChurchman

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 07:13 - Jun 18 by lazyblue

11 or 14 handicap is better than average! Played Ufford a few times but Flynn V only once. Enjoyed them. There’s some lovely courses in Suffolk.

I’m not a big fan of McIlroy and I did hope Fowler would get his first major, but it wasn’t to be. I thought the course in LA was a little strange for a US Open, but I enjoyed what I saw of it.

Golf is an amazing sport in that you have to beat everyone in the field to win. Can anyone think of another sport like that?
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 23:31 - Jun 20 with 1683 viewsBlueForYou

12.2 handicap here. Was a bit lower once, but I stopped playing for many years. Hate playing Golf in the wet & mud. Happy to join up, but very busy with one of my other passions at the moment, Cricket!
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 12:27 - Jun 22 with 1592 viewsportmanroadblue

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 21:30 - Jun 1 by hoppy

If you’d be at all interested in a football golf day… can I just drop this in here, in case it’s of interest to anyone…?

On Holiday, otherwise I would have been up for that

Should have read the whole thread , i'd be up for it.

Member at Stoke by Nayland for 20+ years, World Handicap is 15, but climbing, love the sport, very frustrating, but always enjoy the walk, exercise and social afterwards.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2023 12:43]
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 13:37 - Jun 22 with 1570 viewshoppy

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 12:27 - Jun 22 by portmanroadblue

On Holiday, otherwise I would have been up for that

Should have read the whole thread , i'd be up for it.

Member at Stoke by Nayland for 20+ years, World Handicap is 15, but climbing, love the sport, very frustrating, but always enjoy the walk, exercise and social afterwards.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2023 12:43]

Will post when the revised date Is known.

Seems there might be a few interested.

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 11:59 - Jun 27 with 1362 viewsSamWhiteUK

Broke 90 for the first time yesterday evening. Slowly but surely, feel like I'm getting there
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 12:04 - Jun 27 with 1356 viewsitfcsuth

Massive golf addict here! Love this thread!

Played a little when I lived in Ipswich - Stoke-by- Nayland & Brett Vale, but became an addict when I moved to Essex with the Mrs a couple of years ago.

Now I am playing courses around Brentwood, Ongar and Romford area.

Always describe my golf as consistenly inconsistent. Largely moments of fustration with the odd glimpse of brilliance that keeps you go back again and again!
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 12:04 - Jun 27 with 1355 viewsBlueStreak

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 11:59 - Jun 27 by SamWhiteUK

Broke 90 for the first time yesterday evening. Slowly but surely, feel like I'm getting there

Good work. I am playing off around 15 at the moment but really want to get off 12 so time for more lessons for me. I am a member at Rushmere as well in case anyone ever wants signing in for a round.

As an aside, I can't highlight the importance of getting correctly fitted clubs sorted enough. I have just sold my clubs and had a fitting at American Golf yesterday for the new Callaway Paradym irons. doesn't cost anything additionally to get them custom to you so would highly recommend it.
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 12:07 - Jun 27 with 1349 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 11:59 - Jun 27 by SamWhiteUK

Congrats
Breaking 90 is a real milestone, and having done it once, you now need to see how often you can do it. Sub 90 golf is decent.

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 12:11 - Jun 27 with 1345 viewsitfcsuth

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 12:04 - Jun 27 by BlueStreak

Good work. I am playing off around 15 at the moment but really want to get off 12 so time for more lessons for me. I am a member at Rushmere as well in case anyone ever wants signing in for a round.

As an aside, I can't highlight the importance of getting correctly fitted clubs sorted enough. I have just sold my clubs and had a fitting at American Golf yesterday for the new Callaway Paradym irons. doesn't cost anything additionally to get them custom to you so would highly recommend it.

Always been interested in the golf fitting process? Do they adjust shaft length etc?

Have been using stock Ping Anser for about 18 months now - great clubs, don't get me wrong, especially the short irons - 7/8/9 have really good control feel to them.

Will be looking for a brand new set around November/December.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024