Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 13:08 - Jun 1 with 8572 viewsSamWhiteUK

Thought I'd create a thread for us golfers on the site! A dedicated thread is something that works quite well on other forums I frequent. Set up rounds, discuss recent performance, moans and gripes (we should be good at that part!), equipment....

So, any other hackers among us?
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 12:12 - Jun 27 with 1972 viewsSamWhiteUK

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 12:07 - Jun 27 by LegendofthePhoenix

Congrats
Breaking 90 is a real milestone, and having done it once, you now need to see how often you can do it. Sub 90 golf is decent.

Thanks.

There were times in the round where I just definitely kept my cool better than before, I didn't play any spectacular golf (bar a couple of shots that I'm really happy with) but just kept it steady. Thought I'd lost the first ball I hit and was playing a provisional (only planned on playing the front nine) but then I found my first almost impossibly far up. It had felt nice off the driver but I had just lost it against the clouds.

The most satisfying parts were shots eg off the 12th tee, where the last few rounds I've lost balls in exactly the same fashion. To then poke one right up the middle felt like a big hurdle had been overcome, almost a feeling of, well now I can crack on and finish this up.

Sealed it with a 20-footer for birdie on the last, so right on it all the way to the end. Like I say, I'd only planned on playing 9 but I'm glad I carried on now.
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 12:14 - Jun 27 with 1958 viewsBlueStreak

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 12:11 - Jun 27 by itfcsuth

Always been interested in the golf fitting process? Do they adjust shaft length etc?

Have been using stock Ping Anser for about 18 months now - great clubs, don't get me wrong, especially the short irons - 7/8/9 have really good control feel to them.

Will be looking for a brand new set around November/December.

Was in a net with AG for about an hour, hitting different heads, shafts, using different lie angles etc with trackman and strike pads. Was a really good session and came away feeling really pleased and comfortable with what I had bought.

There are some great offers about at the moment, and can do 0% finance as well if that makes it easier. I was only ordering 5-PW but ended up getting a 4 iron chucked in for free (normally £160) and because I had seen the offer online it also came with a Callaway cart bag worth £250. I really look after my golf stuff (clean after most round quickly) so these will last a decent amount of time. I play quite a bit so am invested in some proper equipment for me and looking after it all.
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 12:16 - Jun 27 with 1953 viewsSamWhiteUK

Always been interested in the golf fitting process? Do they adjust shaft length etc?

Have been using stock Ping Anser for about 18 months now - great clubs, don't get me wrong, especially the short irons - 7/8/9 have really good control feel to them.

If you're pretty consistent with your swing (and your bad shots have a pattern to them e.g. all low hooks etc) then I can't recommend getting fitted enough. Changed my game and upped my enjoyment so much more. I was sceptical going in, but now I'd recommend it to anyone. I was torn between a) am I practicing with bad clubs and making it hard or b) am I blaming things on the clubs that I shouldn't be.

I had a package set, and my miss was always low and left. All the clubs I tried I was immediately hitting the ball higher, and then we went 1 degree flat and they were suddenly all straight. It was literally that night-and-day.

If someone had only had new clubs a couple of years ago, I'd say don't bother, but 5+ years? Go and get fit, what's the worst that can happen? Where I got mine done, it cost 50 quid, which was knocked off the price of anything ordered.

EDIT - the above should say if the clubs are 5+ years old - how long you've had them is irrelevant.
[Post edited 27 Jun 2023 12:18]
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 12:45 - Jun 27 with 1936 viewsChurchman

I’ve been hacking up courses for a long time now and in that time have had three sets of clubs (irons) the first were Titleist 3 iron to SW. these pre dated rescue clubs hence the 4 and 3 in the set. I had those 10 years and the served me well. I then bought a set of Callaways. Neither set were custom fitted. I just took different ones onto a driving range and tried them out.

About five years ago I decided to go for custom fitting. It was an interesting experience. My swing was recorded (flight, swing speed etc). We had a long chat about my game etc etc and at the end of it I wound up with a set of Taylor Made M2s. These actually gave me 10 yards a club over the Callaways, Mizunos, Titleist and Pings I also tried. The clubs were slightly adjusted in length for me.

I recommend custom fitting. As has been indicated, anything you pay for the service will be offset against the cost. Can you get clubs cheaper? Of course, but you spend a lot of time with them on the course and clubs that fit you can only help your game.
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 10:39 - Jun 30 with 1840 viewshoppy

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 20:41 - Jun 17 by SamWhiteUK

Yeah I'd be well up for that. Keep us updated!

Update here:

Ipswich Wanderers Golf Day update... by hoppy 30 Jun 2023 10:37
For those that were interested... new date has been booked in, only subject to the release of the Isthmian League fixtures, just in case there's a potential clash, but should be safe...

DM me if you'd like any more info or interest and I can find out for you...

https://i.imgur.com/91QKDHx.jpg

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 17:27 - Jul 1 with 1786 viewsCrawfordsboot

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 22:38 - Jun 20 by Churchman

11 or 14 handicap is better than average! Played Ufford a few times but Flynn V only once. Enjoyed them. There’s some lovely courses in Suffolk.

I’m not a big fan of McIlroy and I did hope Fowler would get his first major, but it wasn’t to be. I thought the course in LA was a little strange for a US Open, but I enjoyed what I saw of it.

Golf is an amazing sport in that you have to beat everyone in the field to win. Can anyone think of another sport like that?

Beat everyone in the field?

Marathon, high jump, discus, in fact most athletics - cycling, swimming etc!
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 18:09 - Jul 1 with 1774 viewsChurchman

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 17:27 - Jul 1 by Crawfordsboot

Beat everyone in the field?

Marathon, high jump, discus, in fact most athletics - cycling, swimming etc!

Marathon maybe. Other events you have heats and face what, seven others in the final? That includes swimming. Same with most cycling events (maybe not the Maddison, though what the hell that’s about goodness knows😃). Some like triathlon and Marathon, fair enough I take your point.
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 10:38 - Jul 20 with 1570 viewsSamWhiteUK

Who's everyone fancying for the Open then? Anyone got any bets on?

Hoping it's McIlroy, think Fleetwood might be a good shout. Based on absolutely nothing, of course.
Login to get fewer ads

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 11:36 - Jul 20 with 1543 viewsChurchman

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 10:38 - Jul 20 by SamWhiteUK

Hoping it's McIlroy, think Fleetwood might be a good shout. Based on absolutely nothing, of course.

Schauffele or Koepka. Of the Europeans, Rahm. I’d love to see Fowler win a major.

McIlroy? I’m never quite sure why he gets the focus he does. He had his purple patch 10 years ago and has done nothing on the major front since.
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 13:19 - Jul 20 with 1519 viewsSamWhiteUK

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 11:36 - Jul 20 by Churchman

Schauffele or Koepka. Of the Europeans, Rahm. I’d love to see Fowler win a major.

McIlroy? I’m never quite sure why he gets the focus he does. He had his purple patch 10 years ago and has done nothing on the major front since.

Did you... did you really just ask why McIlroy gets attention?

https://www.pgatour.com/player/28237/rory-mcilroy

It's because he's an exceptional talent and on his day he's probably only rivalled by one or two golfers in the world - Rahm and Scheffler, the only two golfers ranked above him in the world right now.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2023 13:19]
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 14:04 - Jul 20 with 1511 viewsChurchman

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 13:19 - Jul 20 by SamWhiteUK

Did you... did you really just ask why McIlroy gets attention?

https://www.pgatour.com/player/28237/rory-mcilroy

It's because he's an exceptional talent and on his day he's probably only rivalled by one or two golfers in the world - Rahm and Scheffler, the only two golfers ranked above him in the world right now.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2023 13:19]

I did. Majors since McIlroy last won in 2014 - 31. Majors won by McIlroy - zero. Nil.

Like Norwich in Europe he’s been a participant, now and again a contender but for me Rahm, Scheffler, Koepka, Spieth, Morikawa in particular and plenty of others in the winners enclosure since McIlroy’s day deserve more attention. Seeing his face on adverts for the golf channel all the time really irritates me.

I hope he proves me wrong.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2023 14:19]
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 14:29 - Jul 20 with 1506 viewsportmanroadblue

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 10:38 - Jul 20 by SamWhiteUK

Depends how the weather goes, looks like testing conditions for the weekend, so Lowry for me.
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 15:29 - Jul 20 with 1497 viewsSamWhiteUK

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 14:04 - Jul 20 by Churchman

I did. Majors since McIlroy last won in 2014 - 31. Majors won by McIlroy - zero. Nil.

Like Norwich in Europe he’s been a participant, now and again a contender but for me Rahm, Scheffler, Koepka, Spieth, Morikawa in particular and plenty of others in the winners enclosure since McIlroy’s day deserve more attention. Seeing his face on adverts for the golf channel all the time really irritates me.

I hope he proves me wrong.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2023 14:19]

I hope he proves you wrong as well!

Since 2014, McIlroy has the most PGA tour wins (17, tied with DJ) and the most top ten finishes. It's hardly like he's done nothing!
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 18:37 - Jul 20 with 1478 viewsChurchman

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 15:29 - Jul 20 by SamWhiteUK

I hope he proves you wrong as well!

Since 2014, McIlroy has the most PGA tour wins (17, tied with DJ) and the most top ten finishes. It's hardly like he's done nothing!

For me there’s a difference between also rans and serial winners. McIlroy is a serial winner with four majors and many other tournaments too and anyone who’s played the game knows how special that is.

My point is that to me it looks all in the past for him as far as the very top of the game is concerned (majors). He’s now in the ranks in the making a good living band of players for me. $1.5m for the Scottish Open last week, so if he has Sat/Sun off it’s still been a great couple of weeks.

He’s obviously better than ‘money players’ like Donald, Westwood and Poulter because like anyone who’s won a major he’s in the ‘special’ winners enclosure.

I just don’t think he will win another major. There’s always a calamity somewhere in the four rounds with him now. At two over after 13, seven off the lead maybe it’s today for this tournament and no doubt two of the next three rounds will be brilliant.

I hope I’m wrong and he justifies the hype that surrounds him in the future, not just the past.
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 00:20 - Jul 21 with 1456 viewshatch

Was there today and it was glorious. Shame the weather might turn worse as the week progresses but that’ll make it great for me watching the challenging conditions from home.

Spieth looked tasty today at times and great to see the less fancied golfers out on top today. Was surprised -5 is the overnight lead, thought it would be lower.

The money I placed yesterday went on: Matty Jordan (holds the course record, no brainer outsider), Hovland, Fleetwood, Min Woo Lee. All doing just fine so far.

Was just bar crawling through West Kirby and got chatting to some Americans that are staying walking distance from the course. They are Tom Hoge’s mates and have dropped around £10k each I reckon to just be here this week. They do all the major golf events inc. Augusta where they live so was fascinating conversation. Apparently if Hoge makes the cut tomorrow then he’s going out in West Kirby with them (The White Lion).
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 07:25 - Jul 21 with 1428 viewsChurchman

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 00:20 - Jul 21 by hatch

Was there today and it was glorious. Shame the weather might turn worse as the week progresses but that’ll make it great for me watching the challenging conditions from home.

Spieth looked tasty today at times and great to see the less fancied golfers out on top today. Was surprised -5 is the overnight lead, thought it would be lower.

The money I placed yesterday went on: Matty Jordan (holds the course record, no brainer outsider), Hovland, Fleetwood, Min Woo Lee. All doing just fine so far.

Was just bar crawling through West Kirby and got chatting to some Americans that are staying walking distance from the course. They are Tom Hoge’s mates and have dropped around £10k each I reckon to just be here this week. They do all the major golf events inc. Augusta where they live so was fascinating conversation. Apparently if Hoge makes the cut tomorrow then he’s going out in West Kirby with them (The White Lion).

That sounds a terrific day. I’ve only been to the Open once - 2011 at Sandwich and really enjoyed the experience. Those Americans following the Majors? Why not if you have the money? Great fun.

Watching on the tv, I thought Spieth looked good too. He’s certainly got the game for it.
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 13:46 - Jul 21 with 1411 viewsSamWhiteUK

I suppose as Town fans we should be cheering for a certain M Stewart
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 17:36 - Jul 22 with 1364 viewsChurchman

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 13:46 - Jul 21 by SamWhiteUK

I suppose as Town fans we should be cheering for a certain M Stewart

We should!

Rahm: what a round today, what a player.
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 20:36 - Aug 6 with 1048 viewsSamWhiteUK

Stopping over in Sunderland tonight and playing South Shields tomorrow. Anyone played it?
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 01:08 - Aug 7 with 1008 viewsChurchman

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 20:36 - Aug 6 by SamWhiteUK

Stopping over in Sunderland tonight and playing South Shields tomorrow. Anyone played it?

No, but me and a couple of chums are considering heading up that way in the spring so I will be interested in how you find it.
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 16:26 - Aug 9 with 915 viewsSamWhiteUK

The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 01:08 - Aug 7 by Churchman

No, but me and a couple of chums are considering heading up that way in the spring so I will be interested in how you find it.

I'll copy and paste what I posted on another forum (Golf Monthly):

What a pretty little place. The guy working the shop came out to greet me by name which was nice (think I must have been the only solo tee time around that time). Par three start was a little unusual and I pulled my shot left, right up against a stone wall, so had to take a drop immediately. Started 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, which was interesting! Was quite happy with how I played the front nine. At the turn the wind really picked up and changed the game entirely - driver was basically off the cards as I (eventually) learned as the wind pulled two balls that started left OOB on the right! It meant that I had to try and play much lower, links-style golf which I'm just not used to. Scored much worse on the back nine, I think there was an 8 and a 9 on the card, but got it together for the last 3 holes. Par fours which I believe (don't have the scorecard to hand) I finished 5, 5, and then a nice par in front of the clubhouse - drive again pulled way right by the wind but then hit the green, great lag putt and tapped in for par. Shot 103 overall which considering the weather and an unknown course, I'm not too displeased with.

Pros: apart from OOB, it was very hard to lose a ball, which makes a change to my home course where they just vanish sometimes. Rough was short but thick which meant finding the ball was easy but getting out not so much!

Cons: the wind and my lack of ability to compensate for it. I imagine it's quite windy there a lot of the time, being right near the sea, but I doubt it can be like it was on Monday all the time, it was just relentless. The 14th is SI1 and it was completely head on, 450 yard par four, and I stood no chance of getting a par when I knew I couldn't make halfway with my iron off the tee. I think I made a 6 in the end.

There are a number of blind shots where I probably would have benefitted from playing with a member. I had GPS maps on my phone but they only helped so much. It's one thing not knowing where the green is and a whole other worry not knowing where the next tee box is! With the wind you just didn't know if you were putting people in danger or not lol

A really enjoyable day out and I would play again if I was in the area!
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 14:32 - Sep 22 with 597 viewsSamWhiteUK

Played at Hillsborough the Friday before our match there. Beautiful course, would recommend if anyone is around there.
The TWTD Golf Thread 2023 on 17:10 - Sep 29 with 469 viewsSamWhiteUK

Unbelievable from Europe so far in the RC. Anyone watching?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024