Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
L1 interest in Greg Leigh 14:37 - Jul 3 with 5515 viewsitfcjoe

According to Stuart Watson on todays KoA podcast.

Also wonders if we would replace him, or just let JD cover both sides [maybe Humphreys too - my view] as would help with getting squad down to size.

He suggests 4 more signings (CB, Versatile forward, CF x2) with Camara to go - plus would look at Evans, Harness and Leigh as other options

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 14:43 - Jul 3 with 4609 viewsthe_toff

If there's solid interest and a fee involved you might look at Leigh as one who could possibly move on. Clarke has also switched across to the left a few times in the past, so it might be that we would do that before JD is asked to play there. Although 3 recognised full backs for 2 positions isn't ideal. I can't see Humphreys playing at at left back in the Championship any time soon.
L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 14:46 - Jul 3 with 4539 viewstractorboy1978

L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 14:43 - Jul 3 by the_toff

If there's solid interest and a fee involved you might look at Leigh as one who could possibly move on. Clarke has also switched across to the left a few times in the past, so it might be that we would do that before JD is asked to play there. Although 3 recognised full backs for 2 positions isn't ideal. I can't see Humphreys playing at at left back in the Championship any time soon.

Played that left wing back role quite a bit for the U18s. Certainly got the engine and crossing ability for it.
[Post edited 3 Jul 2023 14:47]
L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 14:46 - Jul 3 with 4524 viewsKropotkin123

Yeah, the signings look about right. I can't see us being happy for Donacien to cover both sides though. If Davis was injured, I can't image JD being as effective on the left as Leigh would be.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 14:49 - Jul 3 with 4484 viewstextbackup

Camara to go, really? Had visions of him being this unknown quality busting on the scene this season.

I’ve also got this feeling young Baggott is going to play a part this season, based on nothing but a guess mind you.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 14:50 - Jul 3 with 4455 viewstextbackup

L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 14:46 - Jul 3 by Kropotkin123

Yeah, the signings look about right. I can't see us being happy for Donacien to cover both sides though. If Davis was injured, I can't image JD being as effective on the left as Leigh would be.

Personally I’d rather Leigh was our back up for both sides with JD departing. But as I don’t make the decisions…

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 14:51 - Jul 3 with 4437 viewsthe_toff

L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 14:46 - Jul 3 by tractorboy1978

Played that left wing back role quite a bit for the U18s. Certainly got the engine and crossing ability for it.
[Post edited 3 Jul 2023 14:47]

He did, but it's quite a leap from U18's occasional left back to the Championship. I expect he'll go out on loan, which is probably the best thing for him.
L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 14:59 - Jul 3 with 4319 viewsLankHenners

Would be a bit of a risk to not replace him imo but then again it does free up a squad space as we're essentially one in, one out at the moment. We've used Clarke as LB, albeit only later in games and we haven't had Leigh on the bench to come on. Edwards as well but again only as a sub when we're essentially attack vs defence. Potentially could play Burns further back if we had to play Clarke, say, at LB for a few games.

Could argue we were unlucky to be affected by injuries concentrated in one position last season but thought we might learn from having what was really a bit of an undercooked midfield. It was Morsy, Evans with a patchy injury history, Ball, an already injured Camara and an untested kid in Humphreys until Luongo came along (and even then played more than anyone, himself included, thought he might). May be on McKenna's mind to avoid a similar situation in a difference position.

Wouldn't have an issue with Evans and Harness going personally, don't think either are good enough for where we'll want to be. Finding a buyer could be a bit tricky but as above we've got to shift people to make room so will have to find a way. Would be a bit of a shame to lose Camara, for him personally but also for us not to see anything of him, but take the emotion out of it and with a year left on his deal maybe best to try and recoup a bit of money now and free up a space in the squad.

Seems pretty clear we'll be bolstering the front end of the pitch, hopefully get 1 or 2 of them through the door soon.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 15:02 - Jul 3 with 4196 viewsitfcsuth

His stock is probably as high as ever been, without really playing too much, has never let Ipswich down - and actually looks a very decent L1 full back.

You look at somewhere like Charlton - good sized club, good location, aspirations of top 10/play-offs - would seem a good fit for him to go and secure a longer term deal.

No real surprise the like of Evans, Camara and Harness are the ones being looked at as make way in a squad reshuffle.
Login to get fewer ads

L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 15:02 - Jul 3 with 4196 viewsgeg1992

I hope Leigh stays personally.

I'd like Humphreys to go on loan

Evans and Harness to leave for sure.

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 15:20 - Jul 3 with 3937 viewsfarkenhell

L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 14:59 - Jul 3 by LankHenners

Would be a bit of a risk to not replace him imo but then again it does free up a squad space as we're essentially one in, one out at the moment. We've used Clarke as LB, albeit only later in games and we haven't had Leigh on the bench to come on. Edwards as well but again only as a sub when we're essentially attack vs defence. Potentially could play Burns further back if we had to play Clarke, say, at LB for a few games.

Could argue we were unlucky to be affected by injuries concentrated in one position last season but thought we might learn from having what was really a bit of an undercooked midfield. It was Morsy, Evans with a patchy injury history, Ball, an already injured Camara and an untested kid in Humphreys until Luongo came along (and even then played more than anyone, himself included, thought he might). May be on McKenna's mind to avoid a similar situation in a difference position.

Wouldn't have an issue with Evans and Harness going personally, don't think either are good enough for where we'll want to be. Finding a buyer could be a bit tricky but as above we've got to shift people to make room so will have to find a way. Would be a bit of a shame to lose Camara, for him personally but also for us not to see anything of him, but take the emotion out of it and with a year left on his deal maybe best to try and recoup a bit of money now and free up a space in the squad.

Seems pretty clear we'll be bolstering the front end of the pitch, hopefully get 1 or 2 of them through the door soon.

Surely Camera has more than a year left on his deal? How long was his contract when we signed him?
L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 15:21 - Jul 3 with 3934 viewsNthQldITFC

I think Leigh should stay personally. He's very solid cover for Davis, a bigger alternative against some opponents, capable of playing CB or in a three as well I would say, seems to be low maintenance, plus he's our Frank Sinatra too!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 15:24 - Jul 3 with 3865 viewsKieran_Knows

L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 15:20 - Jul 3 by farkenhell

Surely Camera has more than a year left on his deal? How long was his contract when we signed him?

Signed a 2 year deal.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 15:33 - Jul 3 with 3749 viewsBlueandTruesince82

I'd keep him, we need the cover and he's quick and defensively solid, think we'd have to spend more than we'd get to have cover that's just as good.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 15:45 - Jul 3 with 3593 viewsitfcsuth

L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 15:33 - Jul 3 by BlueandTruesince82

I'd keep him, we need the cover and he's quick and defensively solid, think we'd have to spend more than we'd get to have cover that's just as good.

I think you do make a valid point - I think right now we should be priotising offloading some of midfield - Evans, Camara & Ball

Plus one Harness, Edwards & Jackson.
L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 15:51 - Jul 3 with 3509 viewsitfcjoe

L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 15:45 - Jul 3 by itfcsuth

I think you do make a valid point - I think right now we should be priotising offloading some of midfield - Evans, Camara & Ball

Plus one Harness, Edwards & Jackson.

Problem is when we are 1 in 1 out, you may have to priotise offloading those who you have concrete interest in, opposed to those you'd most like to do

L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 15:52 - Jul 3 with 3493 viewsthe_toff

L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 15:21 - Jul 3 by NthQldITFC

I think Leigh should stay personally. He's very solid cover for Davis, a bigger alternative against some opponents, capable of playing CB or in a three as well I would say, seems to be low maintenance, plus he's our Frank Sinatra too!

I agree. Also what would we get for him, low 6 figures and a few grand a week off the wage bill? Hardly feels worth it to leave us compromised.

If we're going to move players on (which we certainly are) they really need to meet at least one of the following criteria:

- Big wage that can be better invested (eg. Pigott)

- An area where we're really overstocked and they're unlikely to feature, or we have other capable cover even in the event of absentees (e.g. Evans or Camara)

If it's a handy player like Leigh then the fee needs to be enough to make it worthwhile which I can't really see happening in his case.
L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 15:57 - Jul 3 with 3435 viewsitfcsuth

L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 15:51 - Jul 3 by itfcjoe

Problem is when we are 1 in 1 out, you may have to priotise offloading those who you have concrete interest in, opposed to those you'd most like to do

I think that's a very valid point too.

Although I would have thought there would be interest in the likes of Camara, Evans & Harness.
L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 16:03 - Jul 3 with 3370 viewsitfcjoe

L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 15:57 - Jul 3 by itfcsuth

I think that's a very valid point too.

Although I would have thought there would be interest in the likes of Camara, Evans & Harness.

Yep, I guess it's just knowing full details of their packages and how much each one actually frees up for us to do - but I'd say those 3 must be ones seemingly likely to head out

L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 16:09 - Jul 3 with 3282 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Camara would be a weird one to sell. We must have signed him with an eye on him being capable of playing in the Champ. Would be strange to sell him without even seeing what he is capable of.

A bizarre signing allround really given he was injured.

Re: Greg Leigh I also don't think we would get a better back up for the money we get for him
L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 16:12 - Jul 3 with 3261 viewsRobTheMonk

I think Leigh would be an asset to pretty much any League 1 team. I remember him making a ridiculous defensive header at the backpost where he lept like a salmon.
L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 16:13 - Jul 3 with 3248 viewsDJR

Maybe Leigh would rather move on than play very little football, given that Davis doesn't look particularly injury prone.

He is after all nearly 29.
L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 16:16 - Jul 3 with 3181 viewsThatMuhrenCross

I'd sell him at the right price. JD can cover both sides, Burgess can play left back, or we could even revert to a wing-back type shape if absolutely desperate and throw Edwards in there. Leigh's a quality player and needs to be playing.

Poll: Ipswich offer you 10k a week, Norwich offer you 20k. Who do you join?
Blog: The Cashless Debate

L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 16:21 - Jul 3 with 3081 viewsitfcjoe

L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 16:13 - Jul 3 by DJR

Maybe Leigh would rather move on than play very little football, given that Davis doesn't look particularly injury prone.

He is after all nearly 29.

And has one year left on a deal that likely won't be renewed - if he could get a 3 year deal somewhere that is massuve

L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 16:27 - Jul 3 with 3024 viewsthe_toff

L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 16:16 - Jul 3 by ThatMuhrenCross

I'd sell him at the right price. JD can cover both sides, Burgess can play left back, or we could even revert to a wing-back type shape if absolutely desperate and throw Edwards in there. Leigh's a quality player and needs to be playing.

I think the squad needs to be balanced in a way where we're not talking about filling holes, 'can play' and 'absolutely desperate' ideally. Injuries and suspensions will happen, but we really need 2 players for every position which we do have now in the full back areas. I can't see Burgess playing as a marauding overlapping full back, if he's in that role it's not without huge compromise to how we play and the space that is allowed to Broadhead in the inside left forward areas.

Clarke on the left and JD on the right would work, they like to get forward, but I think we would feel short if Leigh goes and isn't replaced.
L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 17:00 - Jul 3 with 2811 viewsWickets

L1 interest in Greg Leigh on 14:49 - Jul 3 by textbackup

Camara to go, really? Had visions of him being this unknown quality busting on the scene this season.

I’ve also got this feeling young Baggott is going to play a part this season, based on nothing but a guess mind you.

Was some talk regards his agent being at the game Saturday was told they left together. Not sure if that means much ?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024