Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Banter or Hate? 09:09 - Jul 12 with 10922 viewsCovJet

Dear Ipswich Town supporters,

I’m a Wolves fan — coming in peace and hoping you can help me out…

But before I continue, let me congratulate you on an amazing season. I’m sure the Canaries are a tad nervous!

I’m a senior Lecturer at Birmingham City University, writing academic papers as part of my PhD portfolio (Koln University). My research has a focus on the language used by football fans at games — for some people it’s ‘banter’ and for others, it has become a ‘hate crime’. It is a complex, emotive issue.

I want to find out what you think of the language used — I want you to be honest.

The questionnaire is entirely voluntary and completely anonymous. I will only use the data I obtain for academic papers and once complete I will share the data with you on this forum. I have ethical approval granted from Koln University and approval from your administrator for this forum.

I will be comparing your answers with those from supporters of Arsenal, Watford, Wolves, Plymouth and Newcastle.

The questionnaire should only take you a couple of minutes and I would like to thank you in advance. Here is the link:

https://questionpro.com/t/AX3LcZyJou

Kind regards,

Peter Evans
Banter or Hate? on 09:19 - Jul 12 with 5707 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Done, but a genuine question. How did you decide on which teams to poll? With the exception of Newcastle, it seems very southern centric, with no north western, Scottish or Welsh sides.

Probably just me but that is possibly going to have a bearing on your results, and result in a restricted dataset.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Banter or Hate? on 09:22 - Jul 12 with 5652 viewsArnoldMoorhen

I think your questionnaire would be more valid if you asked how many games respondents had attended.

I am a former Season Ticket holder, but moved a long way away from Ipswich and don't get to many matches at Portman Road now. So much less opportunity for me to hear abuse.
Banter or Hate? on 09:23 - Jul 12 with 5648 viewsbaxterbasics

Banter or Hate? on 09:19 - Jul 12 by Cheltenham_Blue

Done, but a genuine question. How did you decide on which teams to poll? With the exception of Newcastle, it seems very southern centric, with no north western, Scottish or Welsh sides.

Probably just me but that is possibly going to have a bearing on your results, and result in a restricted dataset.

Indeed - can imagine a different range of answers if sent for example, to the Glasgow fans.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Banter or Hate? on 09:27 - Jul 12 with 5585 viewsSaleAway

YOu should probably fix the education question....

BA or MA excludes quite a large number of degree courses. Should probably say Bachelor or Masters, unless you really need to know if its in Arts, Science or Engineering

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Banter or Hate? on 09:28 - Jul 12 with 5567 viewsbackwaywhen

Also done , pretty basic questions and anyone who finds those chants offensive shouldn’t really be at a football match …….. Bantz. Innit .
Banter or Hate? on 09:28 - Jul 12 with 5557 viewsDinDjarin

Banter or Hate? on 09:27 - Jul 12 by SaleAway

BA or MA excludes quite a large number of degree courses. Should probably say Bachelor or Masters, unless you really need to know if its in Arts, Science or Engineering

I am a BSC, does that mean I am excluded?
Banter or Hate? on 09:33 - Jul 12 with 5482 viewsblueasfook

Quite I have a BSc degree, so I cant do the poll!

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Banter or Hate? on 09:35 - Jul 12 with 5469 viewsLeaky

Does a City & Guilds or NVQ count as a qualification. Is it just degree's that count, after all they seem to be handed out like confetti these day's
Login to get fewer ads

Banter or Hate? on 09:35 - Jul 12 with 5466 viewsblueasfook

Banter or Hate? on 09:28 - Jul 12 by backwaywhen

Also done , pretty basic questions and anyone who finds those chants offensive shouldn’t really be at a football match …….. Bantz. Innit .

So you're OK with homophobic chanting then? In case you didnt know, its a criminal offence.

Banter or Hate? on 09:36 - Jul 12 with 5449 viewsblueasfook

Banter or Hate? on 09:35 - Jul 12 by Leaky

Does a City & Guilds or NVQ count as a qualification. Is it just degree's that count, after all they seem to be handed out like confetti these day's

Yes, you are not allowed an opinion because you're not well educated enough. I bet you've got "Attended school of hard knocks" on your FB profile.

Banter or Hate? on 09:48 - Jul 12 with 5309 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Carol Vorderman thinks you shouldn't even get a job.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Banter or Hate? on 09:50 - Jul 12 with 5283 viewsBlueNomad

Banter or Hate? on 09:36 - Jul 12 by blueasfook

Yes, you are not allowed an opinion because you're not well educated enough. I bet you've got "Attended school of hard knocks" on your FB profile.

Most of those who have a PHd have had some "hard knocks". It's such a stupid boast.
Banter or Hate? on 09:54 - Jul 12 with 5227 viewswkj

Don't be a prat, degrees take an good bit of graft to walk away with a 2.1 or above and are not handed out like confetti. Similarly, anyone who claims vocational skills and qualifications are easy are also prats.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Banter or Hate? on 09:55 - Jul 12 with 5219 viewsSwansea_Blue

Banter or Hate? on 09:50 - Jul 12 by BlueNomad

Most of those who have a PHd have had some "hard knocks". It's such a stupid boast.

Oh, I don't know. I spent most of my PhD days hiking and camping (er, sorry, I mean 'doing fieldwork'). It seemed a much easier option than doing a real job.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Banter or Hate? on 09:55 - Jul 12 with 5211 viewsBlueschev

What about if you got your degree from the University of Life?
Banter or Hate? on 09:55 - Jul 12 with 5202 viewsyorkshireblue

Banter or Hate? on 09:33 - Jul 12 by blueasfook

Quite I have a BSc degree, so I cant do the poll!

If you had a proper degree like a BA you'd be able to read that there is an option to carry on without answering that question
[Post edited 12 Jul 2023 10:32]
Banter or Hate? on 09:58 - Jul 12 with 5160 viewsThatMuhrenCross

Thought provoking, Peter.

I've selected "banter" in both instances, and "mildly offensive, should be warned" to both chants.

I think we've gone soft as a society. Taking the P out of each other is rapidly dying a death, and clearly both instances we meant jokingly with no actual hate behind them. For me there's a big difference between hateful discrimination, and joking discrimination.

Personally I'd choose not to sing either of those chants, but at the same time, if someone next to me was singing them, I'd probably just turn a blind eye. Don't need the grief.

Poll: Ipswich offer you 10k a week, Norwich offer you 20k. Who do you join?
Blog: The Cashless Debate

Banter or Hate? on 09:59 - Jul 12 with 5141 viewsJohnTy

Banter or Hate? on 09:48 - Jul 12 by Cheltenham_Blue

Carol Vorderman thinks you shouldn't even get a job.

Not true.
Banter or Hate? on 10:00 - Jul 12 with 5126 viewsLeaky

I had a decent education, just didn't appreciate it at the time. Didn't attend the school of hard knocks, more University of common sense.
Banter or Hate? on 10:02 - Jul 12 with 5103 viewsCovJet

Agreed. It will be extended to include other areas. I am restricted by the number of replies per questionnaire. The 2nd questionnaire will ask exactly the same questions to fans of other clubs. Target is now 500 responses. Thank you for your time, much appreciated.
Banter or Hate? on 10:03 - Jul 12 with 5075 viewsCovJet

Banter or Hate? on 09:22 - Jul 12 by ArnoldMoorhen

I think your questionnaire would be more valid if you asked how many games respondents had attended.

I am a former Season Ticket holder, but moved a long way away from Ipswich and don't get to many matches at Portman Road now. So much less opportunity for me to hear abuse.

Noted. Thank you...
Banter or Hate? on 10:06 - Jul 12 with 5055 viewsCovJet

Thank you. Adjusted.
Banter or Hate? on 10:06 - Jul 12 with 5044 viewsCovJet

Banter or Hate? on 09:28 - Jul 12 by DinDjarin

I am a BSC, does that mean I am excluded?

I've adjusted it, sorry...
Banter or Hate? on 10:09 - Jul 12 with 5009 viewsDyland

As a middle aged sometime snowflake sometime gammon English honky (that may be offensive, sorry Philav) I find it hard to decide. "We can see you holding hands" always seemed pretty innocuous and jocular, to ME (key point here). But that was thirty years ago, and I would never sing it now, nor have I heard it sang at PR in yonks. I'd still not call it a hate crime though... and I guess context and tone plays a part in what actions should be taken against people singing that, and other potentially offensive chants.

Nuanced, innit?

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Banter or Hate? on 10:15 - Jul 12 with 4943 viewsSwansea_Blue

Banter or Hate? on 09:58 - Jul 12 by ThatMuhrenCross

Thought provoking, Peter.

I've selected "banter" in both instances, and "mildly offensive, should be warned" to both chants.

I think we've gone soft as a society. Taking the P out of each other is rapidly dying a death, and clearly both instances we meant jokingly with no actual hate behind them. For me there's a big difference between hateful discrimination, and joking discrimination.

Personally I'd choose not to sing either of those chants, but at the same time, if someone next to me was singing them, I'd probably just turn a blind eye. Don't need the grief.

I kind of hit the rails as the response I'd have picked isn't there. They are probably homophobic chants (if you aimed similar chants about stereotypes at black people, it would undoubtedly be considered racist), but I think people should be warned and given a change to reflect and change their behaviour. We're becoming an increasingly punitive society and I'm not convinced that leads to positive outcomes.

But then I suppose we need to be tough on racism and homophobia, so I don't know where that leaves me (except confused).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024