Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mental health 18:01 - Jul 17 with 3257 viewseastangliaisblue

Here for advice/thoughts on my mental health. I'm a bit of a coward talking about this type of thing so haven't spoke to my wife, family or friends about this as of yet. Hence why I'm on here just to get things off my chest a little.

Mental health is not something I've ever struggled with before but this past week it's like I've been hit by a train. It really has taken me by complete surprise

I've been feeling like I'm suffocating, feel completely alone and taking no joy in anything I do. The few times I have been completely alone has been horrible. I'm usually someone that enjoys alone time every so often. The feelings have dampened down a bit compared to earlier last week but are still in the background.

I recently slipped a disc and have been on a cocktail of painkillers. I finished taking them a few days before this all hit me. Could that have something to do with it?

I've not been enjoying my job for sometime could this be affecting me more than I realise?

Don't really want to see a Doctor as the last thing I want is to be put on medication.

For context I have a really happy home life. Couldn't ask for a better wife or kids.

Apologies if this sounds like a complete ramble just needed to get it off my chest and maybe hear some advice from others.
Mental health on 18:04 - Jul 17 with 2809 viewsfactual_blue

If you live locally, this self-referral route might be of some help.

https://www.wellbeingnands.co.uk/suffolk/

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Mental health on 18:08 - Jul 17 with 2777 viewseastangliaisblue

Mental health on 18:04 - Jul 17 by factual_blue

If you live locally, this self-referral route might be of some help.

https://www.wellbeingnands.co.uk/suffolk/

Thanks I will give it a look.
Mental health on 18:11 - Jul 17 with 2764 viewsJackNorthStand

If you do go to see a doctor, from experience before putting you on medication they will talk to you and refer you to who they deem to be the right people in a wellbeing service

Hope
It all works out mate keep positive
Mental health on 18:14 - Jul 17 with 2751 viewsEastAnglianBoy

Sorry to hear this. It feels like more and more are suffering these days for multiple different reasons.

Hope you get the help you need mate.
Mental health on 18:15 - Jul 17 with 2753 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

My immediate thought is gabapentin. If you have been given it then try not to take it. It had the same effect on me when I slipped a disc and I stopped using it after only 3 days or so due to how my mood was affected. Also it is highly addictive so another reason not to use it if possible.

Edit....I see you already stopped so probably is med related at an informed guess.
[Post edited 17 Jul 2023 18:17]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Mental health on 18:16 - Jul 17 with 2738 viewsHerbivore

Sorry to hear that you are struggling, mate. What pain killers were you on for your back? They often prescribe Amitriptyline for back pain and that is also an antidepressant so it's possible that if you've come off something like that it has caused you to feel low. They often recommend reducing down with those sorts of medications and stopping them gradually to avoid potential side effects. That's not to say it's definitely that, it could be a range of things, but it is something to consider. Definitely reach out for some support, your GP can refer you for talking therapy rather than antidepressants if you don't want to go on to medication. GPs have started to be a bit more discerning when it comes to prescribing antidepressants than they used to be and they will look at alternatives rather than medicating where possible.
[Post edited 17 Jul 2023 18:41]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Mental health on 18:23 - Jul 17 with 2711 viewsnoggin

Withdrawal from strong painkillers can definitely cause depression. I'm sure your doctor has considered this but something to keep in mind.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Mental health on 18:26 - Jul 17 with 2683 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

You should speak to a GP. Tell them that you are not keen on the idea of medication, they will respect that. I would ask them about cognitive behavioural therapy. This would allow you to talk about the things you are feeling, give you coping strategies and make practical changes to make your life more enjoyable again.

There may be a wait to get an appointment but it's a good thing to get the ball rolling. In the mean time, you could try a book like this: https://drchatterjee.com/book/

Feel better soon :)

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Login to get fewer ads

Mental health on 18:27 - Jul 17 with 2678 viewseastangliaisblue

Mental health on 18:16 - Jul 17 by Herbivore

Sorry to hear that you are struggling, mate. What pain killers were you on for your back? They often prescribe Amitriptyline for back pain and that is also an antidepressant so it's possible that if you've come off something like that it has caused you to feel low. They often recommend reducing down with those sorts of medications and stopping them gradually to avoid potential side effects. That's not to say it's definitely that, it could be a range of things, but it is something to consider. Definitely reach out for some support, your GP can refer you for talking therapy rather than antidepressants if you don't want to go on to medication. GPs have started to be a bit more discerning when it comes to prescribing antidepressants than they used to be and they will look at alternatives rather than medicating where possible.
[Post edited 17 Jul 2023 18:41]

Yes I've been on Amitriptyline. As I say I really hope it's through coming off the medication as I have never experienced anything like this before.
Mental health on 18:32 - Jul 17 with 2619 viewsCOYB_SussexBranch

Hi eastangliaisblue,
Sorry to hear you’re experiencing some difficult times. Best wishes for a full recovery to let you feel like your old self.

My only advice would be to speak to people. Friends, family, anyone you feel comfortable with. The key is not struggling on your own. Don’t exclude the doctor as they can signpost you to what they think is the right support and will not force you to take medication if you are not willing or able to go down that route.

I made the mistake, many years ago, of keeping it all to myself and not getting help and that made it a longer and more painful path to recovery later on.

Keep talking, here if you need, and remember there’s loads of people who are happy to help.
Mental health on 18:36 - Jul 17 with 2572 viewsSwansea_Blue

Mental health on 18:27 - Jul 17 by eastangliaisblue

Yes I've been on Amitriptyline. As I say I really hope it's through coming off the medication as I have never experienced anything like this before.

Well worth having a chat with the doc if you think there’s a possible link to meds. This could be a perfectly normal response and they may be able to put your mind at ease. As others have said, they should take on board any feelings about an aversion to meds (and I don’t blame you there; I’d be the same unless absolutely necessary after all other avenues have been exhausted).

Of course, it could be withdrawal symptoms to the football. It’s not been easy to come down off a season like that!

Edited because autocorrect is a feckwit.
[Post edited 17 Jul 2023 20:36]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Mental health on 18:44 - Jul 17 with 2530 viewswkj

Suffolk and Norfolk mental health services are not the best, but do keep in mind that it is more than just medication that they may prescribe. The best advice I was given is don't be afraid to speak to the people that know you the closest whilst trying to show empathy towards others who may also be impacted by your presence.

Males talking about Mental health often face a pride check, so just engaging with the forum is a massive step towards figuring out a way forward and you should be pretty proud of yourself for doing so.

Also keep in mind that depression is not strictly a mental health condition but a condition that affects mental health. That is to say, the levels of serotonin in your system may not be right - so do some research on medication and think hard about your objections and why you might not want to face the prospect of being prescribed medicine. This also explains why some people in a happy home life still face mental health struggles.

This is worth repeating, but It is very valid to remember that Mental health struggles are not always caused by the mind but usually something that impacts it.

Well done for talking about it, good luck on the steps forward
[Post edited 17 Jul 2023 18:45]

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Mental health on 19:28 - Jul 17 with 2443 viewsDanTheMan

I would recommend talking to your doctor as pain killers can definitely have an effect and if that's the cause they'll probably want to know.

In the case you still don't want to though, there are a number of options, Factuals link is a good one for self referral but they can have long waiting lists.

There are a few other places you can talk to my wife recommended (she's a psychologist)

Calm - https://www.thecalmzone.net/get-support
Mind - https://www.mind.org.uk/need-urgent-help/using-this-tool/

And in case you are feeling really down and need someone to talk to immediately:
Shout - https://giveusashout.org/
Samaritans - Call 116 123
Papyrus (if you're under 35) - 0800 068 4141

If you ever just want someone to talk to, please feel free to message me.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Mental health on 19:39 - Jul 17 with 2412 viewsRyorry

It's not a ramble, and well done for having the guts to post.

Back pain is a misery, you'd have to be a saint for it not to get you down. Any medication strong enough to help can become a problem in its own right (Fortral for me back in the late 70s, I eventually got sorted by the pain management course at Walton hosp. in Liverpool).

Haven't got any further suggestions than the good ones already offered by others, except to wish you all best, hope you're soon feeling a lot better 👍

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Mental health on 19:54 - Jul 17 with 2368 viewstractordownsouth

Well done for posting, sorry to hear how you're feeling. Feel free to drop me a PM if you need anything.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Mental health on 20:07 - Jul 17 with 2322 viewsChurchman

Well done for posting this. Please don’t apologise. One of the nice sides to this forum is that it provides a good outlet for people for all sorts of things.

There’s plenty of good stuff in this thread from far better informed, much cleverer people than me. But my gut instinct tells me the GP is the first place to go.

I hope you feel better/improve (poor words - you know what I mean) soon.
Mental health on 20:10 - Jul 17 with 2317 viewsKeno

Ive probably not got anything to add apart from what people have said below but I say that NO WAY are you are coward. It took at lot of courage to admit you may have a problem and a lot more courage to speak up.

Various of us have often said if anyone os struggling something and well done for doing that.

You may find it helps to sit down and say something to Mrs eastangliaisblue. She may have noticed you seem different and it may just be she is wondering why. Talk to her, it may help her to know whats happening and in so doing it will help you.

It should help to talk to your GP, and in the past we have linked Suffolk Mind who may help

https://www.suffolkmind.org.uk

Finally keep posting, keep us updated, if you dont you'll get bombarded with PM's from various posters checking you are ok and as a lost resort we'll sent Phil round to check up on you.

Kep smiling mate and well done

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Mental health on 20:20 - Jul 17 with 2248 viewseastangliaisblue

Thankyou all for your advice and kind words.

Just by posting has made me feel a little more at ease already.

I think a chat with my wife is needed and a call to my GP.

Despite some of the silly arguments on this forum at times thr place really is a force for good.
[Post edited 17 Jul 2023 20:21]
Mental health on 20:24 - Jul 17 with 2200 viewsKeno

Mental health on 20:20 - Jul 17 by eastangliaisblue

Despite some of the silly arguments on this forum at times thr place really is a force for good.

Nice one mate.

Keep in touch and good luck with everything.

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Mental health on 20:43 - Jul 17 with 2119 viewsSwansea_Blue

Mental health on 20:20 - Jul 17 by eastangliaisblue

That sounds like a good plan 👍. You say you have a good relationship, so I expect you’ll get great support from your wife. It can be hard to talk about things like this though can’t it? It might be helpful to set aside some space where the normal pressures of life can’t get in the way. Maybe go somewhere for a coffee or a walk or something. Over the kitchen table when you’re trying to get ready for work or going out or whatever, probably won’t get you the thoughtful interaction you need. Not sure if that’s good advice or helpful, but it’s what I’d do.

Good luck 🤞

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Mental health on 20:46 - Jul 17 with 2099 viewsDouble_Dutch

Mental health on 18:27 - Jul 17 by eastangliaisblue

I was prescribed Amitriptyline. in 1998 for muscular pain also and, as Herby has stated, even when following the advice given and reducing down on the dosage of medication, I still experienced similar to you., which being honest, was bloody frightening, as I had absolutely no idea what was happening to me,

I have more recently been offered Amitriptyline for depression by my GP, as I have been going through an extremely difficult time over the last 6 years. I too, have wanted to discuss this issue, but unlike you, could never find the courage to put my feelings into words. I did have the conversation with my GP and, explained my previous experience with this medication and, stated, that I was not prepared to use that medication again.
Mental health on 21:16 - Jul 17 with 2042 viewseastangliaisblue

Mental health on 20:46 - Jul 17 by Double_Dutch

I was prescribed Amitriptyline. in 1998 for muscular pain also and, as Herby has stated, even when following the advice given and reducing down on the dosage of medication, I still experienced similar to you., which being honest, was bloody frightening, as I had absolutely no idea what was happening to me,

I have more recently been offered Amitriptyline for depression by my GP, as I have been going through an extremely difficult time over the last 6 years. I too, have wanted to discuss this issue, but unlike you, could never find the courage to put my feelings into words. I did have the conversation with my GP and, explained my previous experience with this medication and, stated, that I was not prepared to use that medication again.

If there's one thing I would take from this thread is to talk.

Do you have family or friends you can talk to? If so please do. I'm always happy to lend an ear (as I'm sure other posters on here are) if you want to PM me. We might be able to help each other!
Mental health on 23:38 - Jul 17 with 1871 viewsGuthrum

One thing I would add concerns medication. I've only been on it once (Sertraline, for about a year), but have to say it did the job and got me into a position where I could deal with the underlying problem.

I used to steer clear at all costs, including during a very bad episode in my student days, when it might have been a good idea. I also won't deny that I have seen people having problems with it. But all I can say is it worked for me.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Mental health on 00:55 - Jul 18 with 1820 viewsmutters

Hello,

No real advice but I just wanted to say well done on having the courage to raise this here. MH is not easy at times and we often get stuck in situations that we didn't plan and it sometimes snowballs.

Hope it all gets sorted, be kind to yourself

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Mental health on 05:49 - Jul 18 with 1732 viewsIPS_wich

You've already done the hardest part of this - admitting that something isn't right and having the courage to say something. Doesn't matter that it's anonymous and on a football forum with a bunch of strangers - simply the step of saying/typing it out loud is the hardest step you will face.

As others have said, my immediate thought was its a withdrawal symptom from coming off the painkillers - so maybe give yourself a little more time...but be aware that sometimes high dose painkillers can screw up your hormone production and internal balance for a lot longer than you would expect.

Do speak to a doctor, tell them you don't want to be medicated and if they try to push you down that route walk away. In my experience (I do a lot of work in the mental health service planning space), doctors who resort to medication first tend to be those who don't really understand mental health very well. It is a sad fact that mental health has only really been a core part of medical degrees for the last 15 years or so; which means a lot of generalist dosctors (e.g. GPs) who are 40+ years old won't have been trained in it to the same extent as younger doctors. It's why seeking support from a mental health service/professional is always advisable - they would almost certainly not suggest medication as a first resort.

My final comment - and without question THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER - is that if you find yourself in a very dark place in your head, don't do anything stupid. It sounds like you have loads to live for, many people who care for you, and are almost certainly just experiencing a very temporary episode. There's is loads of help out there; please use it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024