Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What we learned from today 21:24 - Aug 6 with 5179 viewsnodge_blue

1. Bellingham looks remarkably like his brother. Should sign him alone on that.
2. You can get away with fouls more this year. Thats ok until the balance tips over to the ridiculous like our penalty. I wont even call it a shout.
3. Time added on is ridiculous. Its not like there was huge time wasting.
4. A few players for us may not be good enough at this level to make us a promotion team.
5. Hirst goal is massive for him. Hes got the potential to be a top player. But he needed that goal to get him off the mark. And it was a good one too.
6. Broadhead has the touches and movement to unlock defences at this level.
7. We defended well.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

What we learned from today on 22:37 - Aug 6 with 1133 viewspointofblue

What we learned from today on 22:26 - Aug 6 by wkj

It could have been nerves but I think he dropped what should have been a take shortly before that

Trying to recall that one. He definitely grew into the game.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

What we learned from today on 22:40 - Aug 6 with 1138 viewspbishop1799

1. You get closed down a lot faster in this league.

2. Some of our players aren't quite composed/skilful enough to handle this.

3. This led to lots of errors in possession today.

4. However, we were defensively organised and demonstrated a clear goal threat.

One game isn't much to go on, admittedly, but Sunderland are one of the better passing teams in the division. Kieran would have adjusted his tactics accordingly.

To make a prediction, I think we'll see a 'different' Town every game season. Some weeks we'll be free-flowing, and on others we'll conspire to frustrate the opposition and counter.

Strategy will be key this year. Thankfully, our manager is good strategic thinker. We'll be compete hard in every game and be very difficult opposition this year.
What we learned from today on 22:46 - Aug 6 with 1096 viewsBigCommon

Re, point 4.... Assuming we are shopping in the 1.5m-2m bracket. It's easier said than done to bring in instant "upgrades" on any of our squad, imo.
We'll either have to shell out, which comes with its own risks. Or keep on utilising the many staff we have to carry on improving existing squad members..
People quick to discard some of our players. They've all been excellent for months.. Everyone one of them plays their part...
What we learned from today on 22:51 - Aug 6 with 1049 viewsnodge_blue

What we learned from today on 22:40 - Aug 6 by pbishop1799

One game isn't much to go on, admittedly, but Sunderland are one of the better passing teams in the division. Kieran would have adjusted his tactics accordingly.

To make a prediction, I think we'll see a 'different' Town every game season. Some weeks we'll be free-flowing, and on others we'll conspire to frustrate the opposition and counter.

Strategy will be key this year. Thankfully, our manager is good strategic thinker. We'll be compete hard in every game and be very difficult opposition this year.

Thats where aluko is so good. He receives the ball tightly marked, retains it, creates a yard of space and finds his man.

We needed a bit more of that at times today. Their press caused more issues than ive seen in the last 18 months. But....we did get better. And second half we managed to gain more control.

Aluko is probably too old now though to be the answer.

I cant believe im being this analytical over one bloomin game. Much easier when not on sky and i just look at the score on bbc.

What we learned from today on 22:56 - Aug 6 with 1024 viewsmylittletown

Just watched the Sky replay.
1) If you want to blame anyone for the Sunderland goal, Luongo was the wrong side of Neil - that is quite harsh, but that is why Neil had such a clear chance.
2) Hladky's double save is seriously good.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2023 22:59]
What we learned from today on 22:57 - Aug 6 with 1022 viewspbishop1799

What we learned from today on 22:46 - Aug 6 by BigCommon

Re, point 4.... Assuming we are shopping in the 1.5m-2m bracket. It's easier said than done to bring in instant "upgrades" on any of our squad, imo.
We'll either have to shell out, which comes with its own risks. Or keep on utilising the many staff we have to carry on improving existing squad members..
People quick to discard some of our players. They've all been excellent for months.. Everyone one of them plays their part...

Need to function as a unit this year, for sure. Have to take the opposition into account and assess our existing players strengths and weaknesses.

One thing today that the manager won't forget - bringing on second string attacking players when you're 2-0 up against 10 men men can be risky business... especially with all this time added on.
What we learned from today on 23:00 - Aug 6 with 1006 viewsnodge_blue

What we learned from today on 22:46 - Aug 6 by BigCommon

I agree with you. My gut feel is that this season is a highish finish and an evolution of the team through a couple more transfer windows. Which is pretty much what McKenna and ashton have been implying in interviews anyway.

I dont think point 4 is highly contentious. I just didnt want to start calling out some players.

What we learned from today on 23:01 - Aug 6 with 994 viewsVaughan8

What we learned from today on 21:29 - Aug 6 by FrimleyBlue

Tad obvious isn't it
Burns
JD
Harness
Ladapo

You've got some weird hatred for Burns.

All 4 did fine for me. Harness and Lapado weren't on that long to really know?

You're probably one of those people who wants a whole new team. Didn't you say we need another goalie now Walton is injured?

Hladky did OK bar a few misplaced passes at the start.............and he wasn't the only one.
Login to get fewer ads

What we learned from today on 23:09 - Aug 6 with 969 viewsFrimleyBlue

What we learned from today on 23:01 - Aug 6 by Vaughan8

You've got some weird hatred for Burns.

All 4 did fine for me. Harness and Lapado weren't on that long to really know?

You're probably one of those people who wants a whole new team. Didn't you say we need another goalie now Walton is injured?

Hladky did OK bar a few misplaced passes at the start.............and he wasn't the only one.

No it's not hatred. I just don't rate him.

On Harness and ladapo its not based on one game but the harness effect was clearly shown on his appearence today however having said that.

Freddie you know I like as a player. But he was good for league 1 imo.

I don't think we need a whole new team no. But it needs more quality.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

What we learned from today on 23:11 - Aug 6 with 966 viewsStokieBlue

What we learned from today on 22:40 - Aug 6 by pbishop1799

The press from Sunderland didn't last the match though, they were good for the first 30 minutes or so then started to tire (or we became more composed). I think the players will quickly get used to less time, the first 20 minutes of the second half they were passing through Sunderland fairly easily.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

What we learned from today on 23:19 - Aug 6 with 945 viewsSimonds92

Tad obvious isn't it
Burns
JD
Harness
Ladapo

Burns who has 37 goal involvements in 80 league games, is still massively underrated by some. He plays a very specific role for us as well, not sure who else could come in and be as effective going forward as well as offering so much defensively. I love the guy personally.
What we learned from today on 23:52 - Aug 6 with 879 viewspbishop1799

What we learned from today on 23:11 - Aug 6 by StokieBlue

The press from Sunderland didn't last the match though, they were good for the first 30 minutes or so then started to tire (or we became more composed). I think the players will quickly get used to less time, the first 20 minutes of the second half they were passing through Sunderland fairly easily.

SB

That's a fair point. The press did seem to fall away, especially in the second half. That said, Sunderland still passed neatly when they were down to 10. Even scored.

They had no other option but to play, of course, and I think we were hasty in brining on second attackers.

But whichever way you look at it, Sunderland away will be very different to QPR at home. I'm glad this fixture is out of the way and delivered 3pts. That's huge.
What we learned from today on 00:01 - Aug 7 with 871 viewsSharkey

What we learned from today on 21:41 - Aug 6 by BloomBlue

In terms of No.4 how many teams in this league are you assuming has a squad of 25 who are all at this level?

I get the relegated teams possibly have but I don't see any other team who have a full squad of championship level players.
Luton were promoted last season and while they had a quality 11-13 players they certainly didn't have a full squad of championship level players.

Maybe not yet, but I think Stoke might have by the end of the month.
What we learned from today on 00:07 - Aug 7 with 867 viewsEireannach_gorm

Tad obvious isn't it
Burns
JD
Harness
Ladapo

Harness and Ladpro are sufficient, the other two are more than adequate.
What we learned from today on 00:20 - Aug 7 with 852 viewspennblue

What we learned from today on 21:50 - Aug 6 by BrockleyBlue78

Agree, like to hear other’s thoughts

I think we need to give players a chance and see how they adjust to the new league

Some will thrive and some may not but you cannot judge on one game, it was a tough game for the entire squad

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

What we learned from today (n/t) on 00:23 - Aug 7 with 848 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

We just need to steady ourselves at the back a little, not give away cheap passes and sometimes go back to basics while defending.

Playing out from the back is fine, but sometimes if the team is better it's best to keep it simple and do the basics right first. The players are so much better in this league, we wont get away with it every week, so aspire to do it, but while we still have players who are adapting to this level, keep it simple where possible.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2023 0:25]
What we learned from today on 02:35 - Aug 7 with 807 viewsBondiBlue

Tad obvious isn't it
Burns
JD
Harness
Ladapo

One ropey cross and burns is crap? Confirmation bias. One day he'll be 37 and you'll finally be proven right that he's not good enough for whatever level we're at.

Poll: Which would you accept?

What we learned from today on 03:19 - Aug 7 with 802 viewskiwiblue

What we learned from today on 22:28 - Aug 6 by nodge_blue

I think hladky is ok to come in for a short time but im a bit worried about him for what could be half a season. He may gain alot of confidence from the end of the match though. The start was shaky and the save he made first half should have been pushed away.

The squad deserves a chance after last year. Give them that chance
What we learned from today on 04:48 - Aug 7 with 776 viewsWestcountryblue

I don't think we were anywhere near our best today, however the benefits of good coaching were on show, as the team were organised and compact in their defensive shape. The spine of the team (Woolfie, Burgess, Luongo and Morsy) was also incredibly strong and tough for Sunderland to break down. Having a strong spine is really important for any team at this level.

In terms of improvements, obviously we have Clarke to come back and Walton over a longer timeframe. But, I do think 2-3 quality additions would take this team to the next level...so we enjoy more moments like that Broadhead pass and have players a little more able when time is limited on the ball.

Big confidence booster for the squad and McKenna.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2023 4:50]
What we learned from today on 07:10 - Aug 7 with 717 viewslazyblue

Tad obvious isn't it
Burns
JD
Harness
Ladapo

Unfortunately I agree with these 4 players . I say unfortunately because people like Burns have been so good for two years but from yesterday you can see he is out of his depth when you have to think quicker and make the right decision( you don’t get away with misplaced passes at this level).
What we learned from today on 08:04 - Aug 7 with 662 viewsArnoldMoorhen

What we learned from today on 22:11 - Aug 6 by wkj

The one I would be worried about is Hladky. He didn't have a terrible game but he did push a lot out in bad spots like Gerkin used to. I wouldn't be against a loan keeper coming in.

Otherwise competition for Burns and a CB would be on my mind.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2023 22:12]

I think the ITFC goalkeeper who was most prone ro pushing the ball back centrally was ALB.

I think it happens when the goalkeeper is slightly early in getting their hand to the ball, and meet the centre of the ball, rather than being a touch later and pushing at it.

So therefore a sign of not being sufficiently relaxed and in the zone and timing being slightly off as a result.

So 100% mental, rather than physical: if anything the reactions are too good!

As Hladky had a very difficult start to the game, and looked nervous, this was understandable.

In the second half he did very well, and at the end was saving and pushing the ball wide.

So, hopefully, after a match-winning double save at the end, he will go into the next game more confident and relaxed, and play like he did in the second half from the start
What we learned from today on 08:22 - Aug 7 with 626 viewsPioneerBlue

I don’t disagree with anyone being put forward as areas for upgrade for point #4 only to say it is not accepting the players and team needs to go through a period of adjustment because only then is it really worth naming names.

Making a promotion team/squad this window is a very high bar. The squad is such a fine balance of attributes and war stories we mess with that at our peril for this season. Looking out over next two windows is more realistic.

We only have 1 space left to fill in the 25 therefore looking to replace any of the players listed might improve a starting position but does not contribute to squad depth.

Edwards and Evans are probably the players we could swap out to cover the areas people are targeting to improve therefore creating the gap for +3.

I wonder if we might look at 1-2 more loans to achieve the coverage whilst looking to phase out a couple in the squad to make room in Jan.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

What we learned from today on 08:23 - Aug 7 with 624 viewsBluefields

2 centre backs were outstanding.
What we learned from today on 08:48 - Aug 7 with 591 viewsNthQldITFC

What we learned from today on 22:56 - Aug 6 by mylittletown

Just watched the Sky replay.
1) If you want to blame anyone for the Sunderland goal, Luongo was the wrong side of Neil - that is quite harsh, but that is why Neil had such a clear chance.
2) Hladky's double save is seriously good.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2023 22:59]

Neil was actually Burgess' man there and Luongo was covering the space, so I'd say Luongo was actually the right side of Neil, but too deep - should have been more level with the near post, although Woolfy was trying to take that position as well. More just a tired, disorganised and perhaps overpopulated defence than any individual's fault, I'd say.

On Luongo, he was excellent in the middle today, as usual - not sure how you get Taylor into that team at the moment.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

What we learned from today on 08:57 - Aug 7 with 579 viewsbluesbrothers

Tad obvious isn't it
Burns
JD
Harness
Ladapo

Spot on.

Burns is the one most in need of upgrading for me. Unfortunately lacks that bit of quality and end product most of the time. Had so many opportunities last season that the stats will hide it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024