Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Colin Viljoen 14:06 - Aug 21 with 3735 viewsgtsb1966

In all my 50 years of supporting Town I never knew he had played twice for England. You learn something new everyday.
Colin Viljoen on 14:20 - Aug 21 with 3431 viewstrncbluearmy

So many internationals hard to keep track!

Colin Viljoen on 14:23 - Aug 21 with 3402 viewsKeno

Just think with that record had he been a Norwich player he’d have a statue, they would have an annual open top tour on the days he got his caps and they would have named a stand after him before burning it down and rebuilding it
[Post edited 21 Aug 2023 14:24]

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Colin Viljoen on 14:29 - Aug 21 with 3351 viewstrncbluearmy

PS
Hope the one next to him isn't a surprise as well!
Colin Viljoen on 15:29 - Aug 21 with 3111 viewsElephantintheRoom

Rather an odd claim. Next thing you’ll be claiming you blinked and missed Whymark’s England career (v Luxembourg)

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Colin Viljoen on 15:32 - Aug 21 with 3110 viewsmonty_radio

Colin Viljoen on 14:23 - Aug 21 by Keno

Just think with that record had he been a Norwich player he’d have a statue, they would have an annual open top tour on the days he got his caps and they would have named a stand after him before burning it down and rebuilding it
[Post edited 21 Aug 2023 14:24]

A long-standing favourite who Robson himself nicknamed Ace (yes, I know, it was probably because he'd forgotten his real name). I'd be fine with a statue.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Colin Viljoen on 15:50 - Aug 21 with 3030 viewsWickets

I remember it well .
Colin Viljoen on 15:54 - Aug 21 with 3008 viewshoppy

Colin Viljoen on 14:29 - Aug 21 by trncbluearmy

PS

Is that Phil Ham when he had hair?

Or did you mean that Hamilton chap on the left of the pic?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Colin Viljoen on 16:38 - Aug 21 with 2866 viewslongtimefan

Colin Viljoen on 14:29 - Aug 21 by trncbluearmy

PS

At least he's got a musical and a pub at Liverpool street named in his honour
[Post edited 21 Aug 2023 16:39]
Login to get fewer ads

Colin Viljoen on 16:43 - Aug 21 with 2838 viewsChurchman

I saw him play one of them. The home international game at Wembley v Wales. I remember nothing about it but looking it up, it was a 2-2 draw.
Colin Viljoen on 17:03 - Aug 21 with 2780 viewsfloridablue

Colin Viljoen on 16:43 - Aug 21 by Churchman

I saw him play one of them. The home international game at Wembley v Wales. I remember nothing about it but looking it up, it was a 2-2 draw.

I was there for that one as well. if memory serves me right, there was another couple of Town players in the line up. My next England game was when Mariner came on as a sub for his debut.
Colin Viljoen on 17:29 - Aug 21 with 2703 viewsVic

Very classy player. I’d liken him to Gerry Frances.

Not sure I remember this correctly - but wasn’t he a bit troublesome in the changing room? Grumpy about the cup final, etc?

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Colin Viljoen on 17:54 - Aug 21 with 2620 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Colin Viljoen on 17:29 - Aug 21 by Vic

Not sure I remember this correctly - but wasn’t he a bit troublesome in the changing room? Grumpy about the cup final, etc?

He was selected to play, but the players revolted and voted him out of the team, so he moved to Manchester City. Robson rated him but he wasn’t popular with the players here.
Colin Viljoen on 18:05 - Aug 21 with 2596 viewsPJH

Colin Viljoen on 17:54 - Aug 21 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

He was selected to play, but the players revolted and voted him out of the team, so he moved to Manchester City. Robson rated him but he wasn’t popular with the players here.

Not strictly true. He was selected to play at Villa the week before the Final with a view to him being in the Cup FInal side, but he was NOT selected to play at Wembley. The players made it clear that they did not want him in the team-they wanted Roger Osborne, and they got their way. He had not played a first team game since February prior to that game at Villa.
Colin Viljoen on 18:52 - Aug 21 with 2496 viewsVic

Colin Viljoen on 18:05 - Aug 21 by PJH

Not strictly true. He was selected to play at Villa the week before the Final with a view to him being in the Cup FInal side, but he was NOT selected to play at Wembley. The players made it clear that they did not want him in the team-they wanted Roger Osborne, and they got their way. He had not played a first team game since February prior to that game at Villa.

Yep that’s kind of what I’ve picked up from snippets over the years. Bit of player revolt! Imagine how that would play out on social media now !!!

Colin Viljoen on 19:07 - Aug 21 with 2447 viewsJohnTy

Colin Viljoen on 18:52 - Aug 21 by Vic

Yep that’s kind of what I’ve picked up from snippets over the years. Bit of player revolt! Imagine how that would play out on social media now !!!

One of my favourite all time players, but caused Robson some problems. I seem to recall that every day on his way to training he refused to pick up Derek Jefferson who was waiting at the bus stop! Those were indeed the days.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2023 19:22]
Colin Viljoen on 19:09 - Aug 21 with 2435 viewsKeno

I believe his son posts on here from time to time

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Colin Viljoen on 21:10 - Aug 21 with 2278 viewsBluespeed225

Colin Viljoen on 17:29 - Aug 21 by Vic

Always a bit arrogant, not a bad thing when your good, but leave it on the park. Was told the Afrikaan natural arrogance wasn’t well thought of in the dressing room. A time when teams had ‘schemers’. Johnny Giles being probably the best known, Magilton possibly our last?
Colin Viljoen on 21:19 - Aug 21 with 2238 viewsMisterBlue

I believe the Cobbold's "employed" him as a gardener/grounds-person in order to get a work permit when he initially came over.

added this previous posting -
Colin Viljoen by Lord_Lucan 22 May 2018 8:55
I started watching Ipswich late in 1975 and don't remember much about Viljoen, I think he must have been injured a lot?

Since the Blue Heaven thing I have been thinking about him. I always got the feeling that he never really mixed much with the rest of the team and was a bit aloof.

Anyone got any stories or comments on him?

[Post edited 21 Aug 2023 21:26]
Colin Viljoen on 22:59 - Aug 21 with 2072 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

I started watching Town in 67 so very early in Viljoen's career, but then I was only 6. Although he was raved about by my Dad and lots of people, I have to admit I never really got it, although I was young and admired the goalscorers and exciting players - Brogan, Frank Clarke, Jimmy Robertson, Bryan Hamilton, Whymark, David Johnson, Beattie, etc. I guess if I was watching now, I'd appreciate what he did for the team - he must have been a busy and creative midfield dynamo, who kinda did the Morsy / Luongo role now - and Morsy is my favourite player now. But as a youngster, I just didn't see him as more than bread and butter. And he was unpopular - he had more than his share of difficult situations. Nowadays, he would do some interviews on Town TV and we'd all understand him much better. Back then , we just saw him as different and difficult. Clearly Robson saw what he brought to the team.

Poll: would you rather

Colin Viljoen on 23:27 - Aug 21 with 2016 viewsChurchman

Colin Viljoen on 22:59 - Aug 21 by LegendofthePhoenix

I started watching Town in 67 so very early in Viljoen's career, but then I was only 6. Although he was raved about by my Dad and lots of people, I have to admit I never really got it, although I was young and admired the goalscorers and exciting players - Brogan, Frank Clarke, Jimmy Robertson, Bryan Hamilton, Whymark, David Johnson, Beattie, etc. I guess if I was watching now, I'd appreciate what he did for the team - he must have been a busy and creative midfield dynamo, who kinda did the Morsy / Luongo role now - and Morsy is my favourite player now. But as a youngster, I just didn't see him as more than bread and butter. And he was unpopular - he had more than his share of difficult situations. Nowadays, he would do some interviews on Town TV and we'd all understand him much better. Back then , we just saw him as different and difficult. Clearly Robson saw what he brought to the team.

You forgot my early hero! Mop of black hair, the goal machine that was John O’Rourke. Scored every week when I first took an interest.

Viljoen was class. A real rolls royce player. Slightly stooped he glided around the pitch. Boy could he pass a ball. Could finish too. Smashing player. Well deserved his call up. He was a mainstay of Robson’s early/mid great teams.
Colin Viljoen on 06:44 - Aug 22 with 1822 viewsVic

In the days before his decline into morbidity our resident king of the franchise wrote this excellent blog on CV. Oh for the days of such lucidity from him now!

https://www.twtd.co.uk/blogs/21819/john-cobbold’s-ace-gardener/

Colin Viljoen on 09:42 - Aug 22 with 1577 viewsfarkenhell

Colin Viljoen on 06:44 - Aug 22 by Vic

In the days before his decline into morbidity our resident king of the franchise wrote this excellent blog on CV. Oh for the days of such lucidity from him now!

https://www.twtd.co.uk/blogs/21819/john-cobbold’s-ace-gardener/

That was a great read and very informative. My first game watching Ipswich was against Hartlepool in the FA Cup in early 1978. CV returned from a long term injury and I remember my Dad telling me that he was his favourite player. Made his and my day when we won 4-1 and Viljoen scored.
Colin Viljoen on 10:26 - Aug 22 with 1519 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Colin Viljoen on 18:05 - Aug 21 by PJH

That what I was saying, in essence. Squads were smaller back then, with only one substitute, so it seems weird that talent like that would be left out in this day and age. Many who saw him regularly believe he is our best midfielder of all time.
Colin Viljoen on 11:21 - Aug 22 with 1446 viewsyesjohn99

Colin Viljoen on 10:26 - Aug 22 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

That what I was saying, in essence. Squads were smaller back then, with only one substitute, so it seems weird that talent like that would be left out in this day and age. Many who saw him regularly believe he is our best midfielder of all time.

They must have missed Wark, Frans and Arnold then.
Colin Viljoen on 12:04 - Aug 22 with 1393 viewsWhos_blue

Colin Viljoen on 11:21 - Aug 22 by yesjohn99

They must have missed Wark, Frans and Arnold then.

And Dougie.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024