Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) 07:59 - Nov 3 with 9797 viewsITFCed

Poll: Who was the player of the tournament in your opinion?

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:14 - Nov 3 with 1171 viewsDinDjarin

We keep going on about the buffer from 2nd to 3rd but why not aim to chase Leicester down and have a buffer to 2nd and an even bigger one to 3rd?
We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:23 - Nov 3 with 1140 viewsHerbivore

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:13 - Nov 3 by orfordbuoy

But not maximise

And? It's a better net result for us, imo, to be able to draw level with Leicester and open up a 14 point gap to Leeds than it is to open up a 15 point gap to Leeds but still be 2 points adrift of Leicester. I don't like the negative mindset that a lot are displaying and I hope that's not how the manager and players are thinking.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:25 - Nov 3 with 1123 viewsorfordbuoy

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:23 - Nov 3 by Herbivore

And? It's a better net result for us, imo, to be able to draw level with Leicester and open up a 14 point gap to Leeds than it is to open up a 15 point gap to Leeds but still be 2 points adrift of Leicester. I don't like the negative mindset that a lot are displaying and I hope that's not how the manager and players are thinking.

you're assuming we beat Brum. If not Leeds will make ground on us, if they draw.
We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:26 - Nov 3 with 1117 viewsBuhrer

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:03 - Nov 3 by Herbivore

Not for me. I want us to keep chasing Leicester and a crew means we can be level with them on Tuesday with a couple of good performances. Leeds would still drop 2 points on us and if we manage back to back away wins that would see us 14 points clear of them. I'd rather have the positive mindset of looking to be at the top than the negative mindset of trying not to drop to third.

I'm not suggesting the lads or the crowd pull up deckchairs, just stating the fact that the more points between us and whoever is 3rd is best if our goal is promotion. So a Leeds loss is best.
We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:27 - Nov 3 with 1116 views_clive_baker_

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:14 - Nov 3 by DinDjarin

We keep going on about the buffer from 2nd to 3rd but why not aim to chase Leicester down and have a buffer to 2nd and an even bigger one to 3rd?

I think the aim will always be to chase down Leicester, regardless of the gap we have to 3rd. I don't think there will be any complacency about us and how we go about things. The way I see it is every point we can extend that gap to 3rd is a point closer to promotion.

If we're talking about the psychology of it you need to think about the psychology from the chasing pack perspective, staring down the barrel of a 10+ point gap can start to get to them, get to their fans, cause some restlessness etc of 2 sides that think they have a right to be ahead of us.
We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:27 - Nov 3 with 1112 viewsHerbivore

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:25 - Nov 3 by orfordbuoy

you're assuming we beat Brum. If not Leeds will make ground on us, if they draw.

Your initial post was about us increasing the gap, which relies on us winning or drawing tomorrow and our game in hand on Tuesday. You're now introducing the idea of us losing which just reinforces my view that wanting Leicester to beat Leeds is the product of an unhealthily negative mindset that I hope our players and coaching staff don't share.

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:27 - Nov 3 with 1110 viewsfarkenhell

I hope the manager and players are just concentrating on our own games. Perform and pick up points in those and it doesn't really matter what other teams do.

As for me, I keep changing my mind after reading each post in this thread!
We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:28 - Nov 3 with 1097 viewsBuhrer

What negative mindset? Its maffs innit. Avoid Ladbrokes!
Login to get fewer ads

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:29 - Nov 3 with 1091 viewsHerbivore

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:27 - Nov 3 by _clive_baker_

I think the aim will always be to chase down Leicester, regardless of the gap we have to 3rd. I don't think there will be any complacency about us and how we go about things. The way I see it is every point we can extend that gap to 3rd is a point closer to promotion.

If we're talking about the psychology of it you need to think about the psychology from the chasing pack perspective, staring down the barrel of a 10+ point gap can start to get to them, get to their fans, cause some restlessness etc of 2 sides that think they have a right to be ahead of us.

On your second para, a 10+ point gap is possible - arguably likely - if Leeds draw at Leicester. The gap is 9 points and we have a game in hand against a struggling Rotherham side. We can potentially lose tomorrow and still open up a 10+ point gap to Leeds even if they draw with Leicester.

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:29 - Nov 3 with 1090 views_clive_baker_

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:27 - Nov 3 by farkenhell

I hope the manager and players are just concentrating on our own games. Perform and pick up points in those and it doesn't really matter what other teams do.

As for me, I keep changing my mind after reading each post in this thread!

That's spot on and will definitely be the mindset. We can't control other results and I dare say the squad will only be focused on what they can influence. As fans we will speculate though.

We've just got to keep doing our job innit, 3 big games in the next 8 days. At the next international break we'll be sat somewhere from 34 - 43 points, anything starting in a 4 would be delicious.
We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:31 - Nov 3 with 1079 viewsBuhrer

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:14 - Nov 3 by DinDjarin

Yes I hope so. But in terms of Leicester vs Leeds result now ...... whats best for us?
We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:32 - Nov 3 with 1078 viewsHerbivore

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:31 - Nov 3 by Buhrer

Yes I hope so. But in terms of Leicester vs Leeds result now ...... whats best for us?

A draw.

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:33 - Nov 3 with 1070 viewsDanTheMan

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:32 - Nov 3 by Herbivore

A draw.

I think a draw as well, although I wouldn't be massively bothered if Leicester win.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:35 - Nov 3 with 1067 viewsfarkenhell

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:29 - Nov 3 by _clive_baker_

That's spot on and will definitely be the mindset. We can't control other results and I dare say the squad will only be focused on what they can influence. As fans we will speculate though.

We've just got to keep doing our job innit, 3 big games in the next 8 days. At the next international break we'll be sat somewhere from 34 - 43 points, anything starting in a 4 would be delicious.

Anything starting in a 4, and I might, might, might just start to believe!

Three points tomorrow would be massive. Just as important (for me) is to see if we can get back to the sustained dominance that we showed against Hull and Preston (when we next play at home).
We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:35 - Nov 3 with 1061 views_clive_baker_

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:29 - Nov 3 by Herbivore

On your second para, a 10+ point gap is possible - arguably likely - if Leeds draw at Leicester. The gap is 9 points and we have a game in hand against a struggling Rotherham side. We can potentially lose tomorrow and still open up a 10+ point gap to Leeds even if they draw with Leicester.

There's merit in both arguments tbh. The other consideration is our fans seem to obsess about Leeds, but Southampton are as much of a threat, they're bang in form and it's perfectly plausible that they're the team in 3rd by tomorrow night.

I'm being greedy but there is a scenario, albeit unlikely, for us being on 40 points after 15 games by 10pm Tuesday night, potentially 15 above the team directly below us. That's giving me a stiffy. Every point in that gap to 3rd is gold, I feel like we'll need them given the strength and purchasing power of a couple of those below us.
We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:37 - Nov 3 with 1052 viewsGuthrum

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:02 - Nov 3 by _clive_baker_

Yeah, Leicester are going to win the league whether they beat Leeds tonight or not, so I would be perfectly happy for them to run away with it and take points off all those around us.

I don't agree. Win the game in hand, we are only two points behind them. They are good, but not supermen (or they wouldn't have been relegated).

Leicester can drop points and take them away from the opposition, by simply drawing. That is the optimum outcome from tonight, for me.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:39 - Nov 3 with 1046 viewsBuhrer

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:32 - Nov 3 by Herbivore

A draw.

Arf. Surely by your logic its best if Leicester lose? I mean its just negative thinking that Leeds could catch us and we are going to breeze through Leicester..... I hope the lads don't catch on to this.
We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:41 - Nov 3 with 1026 viewstractordownsouth

Yep. Leicester are more consistent but Leeds have a much higher peak and I fear they could put together a winning run similar to ours in the Spring so it’s all about the gap to third place.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:43 - Nov 3 with 1015 viewsorfordbuoy

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:37 - Nov 3 by Guthrum

I don't agree. Win the game in hand, we are only two points behind them. They are good, but not supermen (or they wouldn't have been relegated).

Leicester can drop points and take them away from the opposition, by simply drawing. That is the optimum outcome from tonight, for me.

Leicester can draw, scribble or paint whenever, but tonight a Leicester win will maximise the gap between 2nd and 3rd. A draw is fine, but it is not optimal.
We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:43 - Nov 3 with 1011 viewsHerbivore

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:33 - Nov 3 by DanTheMan

I think a draw as well, although I wouldn't be massively bothered if Leicester win.

Agreed, a Leicester win is definitely preferable to a Leeds win and I'm not going to lose sleep over the result whatever it ends up being. A draw intuitively to me just feels like the best outcome, means we have it in our own hands to open up a massive gap to Leeds and go level with Leicester. All of this is moot of course if we don't keep up our own form, so we need to show up tomorrow and on Tuesday before a final push at home to Swansea. 6 points from those 3 fixtures would be great, more than that would be bordering on the sublime.

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:44 - Nov 3 with 1009 viewsDinDjarin

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:35 - Nov 3 by _clive_baker_

There's merit in both arguments tbh. The other consideration is our fans seem to obsess about Leeds, but Southampton are as much of a threat, they're bang in form and it's perfectly plausible that they're the team in 3rd by tomorrow night.

I'm being greedy but there is a scenario, albeit unlikely, for us being on 40 points after 15 games by 10pm Tuesday night, potentially 15 above the team directly below us. That's giving me a stiffy. Every point in that gap to 3rd is gold, I feel like we'll need them given the strength and purchasing power of a couple of those below us.

They have what they have till Jan and so far not good enough to keep up with us.

We will spend in Jan 100% and our position in the table then if still top 2 will make us an attractive proposition.
We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:45 - Nov 3 with 1006 viewsGuthrum

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:39 - Nov 3 by Buhrer

Arf. Surely by your logic its best if Leicester lose? I mean its just negative thinking that Leeds could catch us and we are going to breeze through Leicester..... I hope the lads don't catch on to this.

Draw loses two points for both teams. Nearly as good as both losing.

Would put us level on points* with Leicester should we beat Birmingham tomorrow and Rotherham on Tuesday.

* Tho likely still behind on GD.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:46 - Nov 3 with 1002 views_clive_baker_

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:37 - Nov 3 by Guthrum

I think there's merit in either. Leicester win or a draw, I would take either and as I say both have their advantages, I just don't want to see Leeds win that as it'll put their tails right up.

I think Leicester are the best team in the league from what I've seen. Won 6 of their last 9 by more than a 1 goal margin, have a lot of depth, a lot of quality, they have some purchasing power in January too. I can't really see a world where we even keep pace with them over the remainder of the season let alone catch them. I don't think it's negative, they've just got a lot of quality and seem to have taken to Championship life pretty easily. That could change of course, a couple of defeats would be a test of their resolve. Hopefully not starting tonight though.
We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:46 - Nov 3 with 998 viewsHerbivore

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:39 - Nov 3 by Buhrer

As others have pointed out, a draw means our rivals share two points between them rather than one rival getting three. It's maths, innit.

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:50 - Nov 3 with 983 viewstractorboy1978

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:35 - Nov 3 by _clive_baker_

As long as we do our business there isn't really a bad result for us tonight. My preference is:

1. Draw
2. Leicester win
3. Leeds win

Agree re Southampton. I think them and Leeds are the only two with the real capability to catch us.

I am not waving Leicester away. We really want to be fighting for two spots rather than one. Leicester have Boro away next weekend which is a real toughie. We could conceivably be ahead of them in 8 days time which would bring it's own psychological test for them.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024