Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) 07:59 - Nov 3 with 9806 viewsITFCed

Poll: Who was the player of the tournament in your opinion?

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:53 - Nov 3 with 1314 viewsBuhrer

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:46 - Nov 3 by Herbivore

As others have pointed out, a draw means our rivals share two points between them rather than one rival getting three. It's maths, innit.

Your argument is based upon intuition not facts, its a heart over head and I share your feelings. The simple fact remains that the only thing that will stop our promotion from this amazing gap between us and currently Leeds, is 3rd place closing it. Leeds winning or drawing, rather than losing will increase the chances of the gap closing. This is obvious. Leicester are one of the few teams we can expect to beat our contenders. Remember Leeds at PR? They look dangerous to our hopes of promotion. For this game, come on you Foxes!
We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:54 - Nov 3 with 1311 viewsGuthrum

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:43 - Nov 3 by orfordbuoy

Leicester can draw, scribble or paint whenever, but tonight a Leicester win will maximise the gap between 2nd and 3rd. A draw is fine, but it is not optimal.

The gap is already very healthy, especially if we win the GIH. Leeds would have to hit some top level form for an extended period to catch us, plus Town falling away considerably at the same time. They've got to average better than a point a game more than us to do it. I don't see they're consistent enough for that. Or where our form declines so badly.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:58 - Nov 3 with 1288 viewsHerbivore

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:53 - Nov 3 by Buhrer

Your argument is based upon intuition not facts, its a heart over head and I share your feelings. The simple fact remains that the only thing that will stop our promotion from this amazing gap between us and currently Leeds, is 3rd place closing it. Leeds winning or drawing, rather than losing will increase the chances of the gap closing. This is obvious. Leicester are one of the few teams we can expect to beat our contenders. Remember Leeds at PR? They look dangerous to our hopes of promotion. For this game, come on you Foxes!

That a draw means our rivals share two points between them rather than one of them getting three points is literally a fact.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:58 - Nov 3 with 1284 viewshoppy

A draw for me please.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:59 - Nov 3 with 1283 viewsorfordbuoy

Yes.

If Leicester draws and we lose, Leeds catches up and they get that psychological boost. Why would we want that?
We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:59 - Nov 3 with 1283 viewstractorboy1978

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:53 - Nov 3 by Buhrer

"The simple fact remains that the only thing that will stop our promotion from this amazing gap between us and currently Leeds, is 3rd place closing it."

That isn't a fact at all. The team in third could end up finishing above Leicester. Ideally we want to be competing for two automatic places. A lot of people seem to have already promoted Leicester!
We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 10:01 - Nov 3 with 1269 viewsGuthrum

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:46 - Nov 3 by _clive_baker_

I think there's merit in either. Leicester win or a draw, I would take either and as I say both have their advantages, I just don't want to see Leeds win that as it'll put their tails right up.

I think Leicester are the best team in the league from what I've seen. Won 6 of their last 9 by more than a 1 goal margin, have a lot of depth, a lot of quality, they have some purchasing power in January too. I can't really see a world where we even keep pace with them over the remainder of the season let alone catch them. I don't think it's negative, they've just got a lot of quality and seem to have taken to Championship life pretty easily. That could change of course, a couple of defeats would be a test of their resolve. Hopefully not starting tonight though.

Indeed, a Leeds win is definitely the least desireable scenario. Tho I think it's one we can still afford.

I can't really see Leicester badly slipping up, either. Quality squad, big resources and a good manager.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 10:03 - Nov 3 with 1249 viewsHerbivore

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:59 - Nov 3 by orfordbuoy

Yes.

If Leicester draws and we lose, Leeds catches up and they get that psychological boost. Why would we want that?

And if we lose four in a row and Leeds win four in a row they'll overtake us. Why indulge in loser talk?

Login to get fewer ads

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 10:04 - Nov 3 with 1238 viewsorfordbuoy

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 10:03 - Nov 3 by Herbivore

And if we lose four in a row and Leeds win four in a row they'll overtake us. Why indulge in loser talk?

I think it's time for you to take a break
We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 10:05 - Nov 3 with 1233 viewshoppy

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:59 - Nov 3 by orfordbuoy

Yes.

I don’t remember 9 points being awarded for a draw?!

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 10:06 - Nov 3 with 1228 viewsPinewoodblue

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:59 - Nov 3 by tractorboy1978

"The simple fact remains that the only thing that will stop our promotion from this amazing gap between us and currently Leeds, is 3rd place closing it."

That isn't a fact at all. The team in third could end up finishing above Leicester. Ideally we want to be competing for two automatic places. A lot of people seem to have already promoted Leicester!

The only Leeds game that matters is on 23/12.

The only Leicester games that matter are on 26/12 & 20/1.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 10:06 - Nov 3 with 1222 viewsBuhrer

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:58 - Nov 3 by Herbivore

That a draw means our rivals share two points between them rather than one of them getting three points is literally a fact.

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 10:06 - Nov 3 with 1222 viewsHerbivore

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 10:04 - Nov 3 by orfordbuoy

I could say the same for you in fairness.

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 10:07 - Nov 3 with 1218 viewsorfordbuoy

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 10:05 - Nov 3 by hoppy

I don’t remember 9 points being awarded for a draw?!

yeah, makes ground then.
We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 10:08 - Nov 3 with 1213 views_clive_baker_

So that's conclusive then, seems we're all agreed.
We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 10:08 - Nov 3 with 1212 viewsWeWereZombies

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 10:04 - Nov 3 by orfordbuoy

And it's time for your Kit-E-Kat...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 10:08 - Nov 3 with 1210 viewsRobTheMonk

Personally would rather Leicester win tonight and we hope to win tomorrow and/or Tuesday. Opens up a very tasty gap between second and third. We also still have to play Leicester twice where we can then overtake them .
We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 10:13 - Nov 3 with 1194 viewsBuhrer

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 09:59 - Nov 3 by tractorboy1978

Ideally.... meh

Factually... if 3rd place never beats 2nd, whoever that is, between now and seasons end,1st and second are promoted. At this moment, with 1st playing 3rd, 2nds optimum result, if actually promotion not hardon stroking is the goal, is that 1st beats 3rd. Because this gives the best option for 3rd never catching whoever us second. 1st and 2nd should best ensure promotion by beating 3td place teams.

Basic game theory.
We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 10:18 - Nov 3 with 1162 views_clive_baker_

This weekend I'm team Town, Leicester and Millwall. Gimme a trio of wins, a 12 point gap to Leeds and Southampton by 5pm tomorrow*, and a game in hand at Rotherham on Tuesday night to make it 15.

Absolute scenes. It'll never happen of course, but if we have a 16 point gap to 3rd going in to 6th April I hope you all realise that would mean us clinching promotion at Carrow Road. I'm going on the pitch.

*I'm not worried about Cardiff, I don't think they've got the quality to challenge.
We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 10:21 - Nov 3 with 1150 viewsBiGDonnie

Nope! Draw, couple of red cards and two or three broken legs, maybe even a decapitation.

Leicester aren't unbeatable and we can catch them.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 10:23 - Nov 3 with 1145 viewsWeWereZombies

It might be worth remembering that there are still thirty two games to go at the moment, thirty three for us, so the gap that has opened between Leicester and us, and between us and the chasing pack, is unlikely to subsist. We have wintry conditions, the January transfer window and how well teams do in the FA Cup having a knock on (positive or negative) effect on League form to happen yet. There hasn't been any mathematics on this thread but just to add to the simple arithmetic - if we win all our matches and every other teams draws all their matches (except when they play Nodge, they can win those) then we win the League.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 10:27 - Nov 3 with 1130 viewstractorboy1978

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 10:13 - Nov 3 by Buhrer

Ideally.... meh

Factually... if 3rd place never beats 2nd, whoever that is, between now and seasons end,1st and second are promoted. At this moment, with 1st playing 3rd, 2nds optimum result, if actually promotion not hardon stroking is the goal, is that 1st beats 3rd. Because this gives the best option for 3rd never catching whoever us second. 1st and 2nd should best ensure promotion by beating 3td place teams.

Basic game theory.

I want to stroke my hard on, thank you very much.
We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 10:30 - Nov 3 with 1133 viewsPhilTWTD

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 10:21 - Nov 3 by BiGDonnie

Nope! Draw, couple of red cards and two or three broken legs, maybe even a decapitation.

Leicester aren't unbeatable and we can catch them.

A bit of crowd trouble and maybe some financial irregularities uncovered as well. Points deductions all round!
We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 10:30 - Nov 3 with 1128 viewsHerbivore

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 10:23 - Nov 3 by WeWereZombies

It might be worth remembering that there are still thirty two games to go at the moment, thirty three for us, so the gap that has opened between Leicester and us, and between us and the chasing pack, is unlikely to subsist. We have wintry conditions, the January transfer window and how well teams do in the FA Cup having a knock on (positive or negative) effect on League form to happen yet. There hasn't been any mathematics on this thread but just to add to the simple arithmetic - if we win all our matches and every other teams draws all their matches (except when they play Nodge, they can win those) then we win the League.

Hard to argue that every team drawing all of their games (other than with us where they lose) and us winning all of our games isn't the optimal outcome for us. Think you've checkmated those hoping for a Leicester win here.

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 10:32 - Nov 3 with 1123 viewstextbackup

We’re all Leicester tonight? (n/t) on 08:16 - Nov 3 by Herbivore

I don't get this. I'd much prefer a draw, gives us a chance to be level with Leicester on Tuesday night whilst still extending the gap to Leeds. I think a mindset that sees us wanting to chase the team above us is much more healthy than seeking to defend against those below us.

I’m all for shooting for the stars and all that…

But I’ll happily take 2nd spot this season, was a bit pissed off taking it last I might add

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024