Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing 12:43 - Dec 8 with 6022 viewsitfcjoe

https://theathletic.com/5118829/2023/12/08/roy-hodgson-crystal-palace-manager-fu

Who could be in line to replace him?

Former Wolves manager Julen Lopetegui is one possibility. The Spaniard has been at Selhurst Park several times this season to watch matches, although it is not the only ground he has attended as he seeks a Premier League return. Other clubs, potentially Nottingham Forest should they sack Steve Cooper, could also be interested in Lopetegui.

Cooper himself has long been admired at Palace for his achievements first in winning the Under-17 World Cup with England in 2017 and then in taking Swansea City to the Championship play-offs twice in as many seasons (making the final once) before winning them with Forest eight months after being appointed with them bottom of the second tier. His body of work with young players is another significant attraction. He was under consideration until very late in the process when Palace decided to hire Vieira in the summer of 2021 and is particularly liked by their sporting director Dougie Freedman.

Ipswich Town manager Kieran McKenna is another whose work has not gone unnoticed by the Palace hierarchy. His side are second in the Championship after being promoted last season, but Palace would have to pay compensation for him, something they have been reluctant to do previously. McKenna, 37, also has limited managerial experience and none in the Premier League, which would possibly count against him, given the history of Parish’s appointments.

McCarthy could be a consideration, but he has no experience of management at a senior level aside from that one match last season, which would not be in his favour.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 12:46 - Dec 8 with 4508 viewsSitfcB

McKenna’s buy out clause is rumoured to be £4mill isn’t it? Will hopefully put most clubs off.

Palace fans seem to think Roy won’t get replaced until the summer.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 12:52 - Dec 8 with 4450 viewsIllinoisblue

When McKenna does leave, it will be for a much bigger club than Palace.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 12:53 - Dec 8 with 4433 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 12:52 - Dec 8 by Illinoisblue

When McKenna does leave, it will be for a much bigger club than Palace.

We’re a bigger club than them.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 13:04 - Dec 8 with 4351 viewsSWBlue22

Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 12:53 - Dec 8 by The_Romford_Blue

I’m surprised how long Palace have stolen an existence in the premier league for. Can see us being ahead them within a couple years.
Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 13:06 - Dec 8 with 4323 viewsfarkenhell

McCarthy? Mick?
Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 13:07 - Dec 8 with 4294 viewsSitfcB

Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 13:06 - Dec 8 by farkenhell

McCarthy? Mick?

Paddy.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 13:07 - Dec 8 with 4286 viewshomer_123

Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 13:07 - Dec 8 by SitfcB

Paddy.

That's a bit 'ist Sitters!

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 13:08 - Dec 8 with 4279 viewsgiant_stow

Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 12:53 - Dec 8 by The_Romford_Blue

chuckle.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Login to get fewer ads

Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 13:14 - Dec 8 with 4231 views_clive_baker_

Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 13:08 - Dec 8 by giant_stow

chuckle.

They've never won anything of note to be fair.

Although I can understand why you might've convinced yourself that honours aren't important.
Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 13:22 - Dec 8 with 4143 viewstextbackup

They’ve spent how many years as a prem team?
And we spent 4/5 years in L1… just reflect on that for a bit

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 13:24 - Dec 8 with 4126 viewsgiant_stow

Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 13:14 - Dec 8 by _clive_baker_

Although I can understand why you might've convinced yourself that honours aren't important.

meanie.

I'd agree with Textbackup's post just between yours and mine on this. They're an established prem club

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 13:25 - Dec 8 with 4116 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

-Smaller club
-Inferior ownership
-who wants to live in Croydon…
Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 13:30 - Dec 8 with 4072 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 12:46 - Dec 8 by SitfcB

McKenna’s buy out clause is rumoured to be £4mill isn’t it? Will hopefully put most clubs off.

To be honest though, if we narrowly miss out, i can see them coming knocking, even at 4m. I think McKenna has done more than enough to show he can cope in the PL.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 13:36 - Dec 8 with 4023 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 13:24 - Dec 8 by giant_stow

meanie.

I'd agree with Textbackup's post just between yours and mine on this. They're an established prem club

So Bournemouth are a bigger club than Narwich, seems right.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 13:42 - Dec 8 with 3977 viewstractorboy1978

Definitely think McKenna is going to be on the radar for any bottom half PL club should they choose to change their manager. Ignoring whether he'd want to go our not, he's going to be up against elite managers with more top level experience for any role. You look at Lopetegui - he's someone that has won a Europa League, managed his country and managed Real Madrid. Cooper is an exceptional manager that I'd love here if McKenna were to ever move on and our paths aligned, he'd be a perfect fit. Forest are going to be seriously daft if they sack him.
Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 13:43 - Dec 8 with 3977 viewsRadlett_blue

Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 13:14 - Dec 8 by _clive_baker_

Town last won anything meaningful in 1981. That's 42 years ago. When I was a teenager, I certainly didn't regard Wolves or Portsmouth as "big clubs" on the basis they had won the Football League 30 years previously.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 13:47 - Dec 8 with 3961 views_clive_baker_

Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 13:24 - Dec 8 by giant_stow

meanie.

I would agree tbh, right now certainly. Loads of good young players coming through as well and someone with academy experience would probably be a good choice for them.

On a side note I've never really understood why manager compensation is such a put off. Premier League clubs are happy to drop 10's of millions on promising young players, many of whom won't work out, but seemingly not prepared to pay a few million for a manager.
Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 13:47 - Dec 8 with 3953 viewsgiant_stow

Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 13:36 - Dec 8 by WestStanderLaLaLa

So Bournemouth are a bigger club than Narwich, seems right.

I have to say, right now yes they are. Clearly.

Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 13:52 - Dec 8 with 3920 views_clive_baker_

Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 13:43 - Dec 8 by Radlett_blue

Town last won anything meaningful in 1981. That's 42 years ago. When I was a teenager, I certainly didn't regard Wolves or Portsmouth as "big clubs" on the basis they had won the Football League 30 years previously.

Someone needs to come up with an agreed algorithm to put this debate to bed. Should factor in:

- Honours
- Current league status
- Size of ground
- Attendances
- Fan base
- Quality of half time refreshments
- Social media engagement, specifically in Indonesia
Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 13:54 - Dec 8 with 3899 viewsMattinLondon

Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 13:47 - Dec 8 by giant_stow

I have to say, right now yes they are. Clearly.

The traditional way of how to measure if a club is big or small is redundant and has been for a while. Players don’t care whether a club won something years previously as it’s all about the here-and-now.

History is something to be proud about but other club fans couldn’t care less about it.
Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 13:55 - Dec 8 with 3870 viewsportmanking

meanie.

An established club that's reached its ceiling. I don't really know what more they can achieve. There's clearly not rip-roaring demand for a bigger stadium than Selhurst Park, so commercially we're already in a different league to them. As for our history, it's far bigger and richer than theirs. Stop doing ourselves down. We're a big club that's been led badly for the best part of two decades but we've got our big boy pants back on now.
Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 14:02 - Dec 8 with 3817 viewsyorkshireblue

Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 12:46 - Dec 8 by SitfcB

Not specific to McKenna - but I always feel manager buy out clauses are low in comparason to players.

Losing McKenna would have a much biger impact on us as a club than losing any one player.
Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 14:07 - Dec 8 with 3789 viewsRadlett_blue

Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 13:47 - Dec 8 by _clive_baker_

I would agree tbh, right now certainly. Loads of good young players coming through as well and someone with academy experience would probably be a good choice for them.

On a side note I've never really understood why manager compensation is such a put off. Premier League clubs are happy to drop 10's of millions on promising young players, many of whom won't work out, but seemingly not prepared to pay a few million for a manager.

Unlike players, managers have little or no sell-on value.
There are always plenty of unemployed managers & not all of them are rubbish.
If you sign a player, you have a good idea what you are getting. Any managerial appointment is more of a gamble.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 14:09 - Dec 8 with 3777 viewsGarv

McKenna, 37, also has limited managerial experience and none in the Premier League, which would possibly count against him.

Music to my ears.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 14:14 - Dec 8 with 3732 viewsPendejo

Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace future: What we’re hearing on 13:25 - Dec 8 by SuperKieranMcKenna

-Smaller club
-Inferior ownership
-who wants to live in Croydon…

Agree 're Croydon

But Paliss's training ground is in Beckenham, which in turn is a short drive from some very nice areas.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024