Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent 10:03 - Jan 28 with 4907 viewsCopfordBlue

I’ve never applauded a team that’s beaten us before and doubt I will do again. Hopefully we’ll never be in that position again. I clapped Maidstone after the game yesterday though. It was an embarrassing defeat and it hurt but recognising what they had achieved felt right.

I hated sitting through it and it felt horrible when the final whistle blew but seeing what it meant to Maidstone resonated with me. Over the years I’ve known several people who have played at or around the level Maidstone play at. I also know a couple of people involved on the admin side of non-league clubs. The sacrifices they make and the dedication needed to do it are huge. For most of the Maidstone squad and officials yesterday will be the highlight of their career, maybe their life. The other reason I gave them polite applause (I didn’t stand there hands above my head cheering them) was in recognition of their fans - not the 4,000 glory hunters but the 500 or so have been there through thick and thin.

Sorry to those of you that consider my actions and those of quite a lot of those around me to be so deeply offensive and disloyal. In future, if we’re drawn against non-league opponents I’ll make sure I patronise them before the game, spout off about how we’ll beat them by 10, laugh at their support, mock them for it being their “cup final”, already look ahead to the next round and then walk away all bitter and twisted, looking for scapegoats if it doesn’t work out how i had planned.

Poll: Most enjoyable calendar year as an Ipswich supporter

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 15:51 - Jan 28 with 1231 viewsArnieM

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 15:37 - Jan 28 by Ryorry

Me too. I think some people have lost sight of the spirit of sport.

The day sport becomes only about winning will be the day I stop following it.

Edit: They’ve drawn SW or Cov in the next round.
[Post edited 28 Jan 15:48]

You wouldn’t bet against them getting something out of that game either - a draw would be great …

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 18:31 - Jan 28 with 1172 viewsRadlett_blue

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 10:13 - Jan 28 by MattinLondon

I was watching the match on telly with my eldest who is 8 and he started crying and got himself into a real state. By myself I would be angry, even more so if I was at the match. But seeing the Maidstone players and fans so happy I did tell him how important sportsmanship and congratulating the opposition was. How integral saying ‘well done’ was to football, and in turn this made him less upset. It was a very warming moment for me as a parent, seeing sadness turn to happiness.

When he went upstairs I quickly came to my senses and hoped that Maidstone draw the lowest ranked team in the next round and lose 4-0 at home.
[Post edited 28 Jan 10:14]

Well, as Mr John once said to SBR after Town suffered a thumping defeat "Never mind Bobby, we've given someone else the pleasure of winning. Now, where's that white wine?"

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 19:46 - Jan 28 with 1128 viewsMattinLondon

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 15:25 - Jan 28 by Ryorry

Great first paragraph.

Second paragraph could well be spot on as well.
Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 19:48 - Jan 28 with 1122 viewsRyorry

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 19:46 - Jan 28 by MattinLondon

Second paragraph could well be spot on as well.

Or not.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 20:05 - Jan 28 with 1108 viewsMattinLondon

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 19:48 - Jan 28 by Ryorry

Or not.

Take away the minor issue of being away and it’s spot on.
Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 20:10 - Jan 28 with 1090 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 10:51 - Jan 28 by textbackup

Football, and sport, is about winning.

Wanting, or being ok, with the opposition beating you goes against anything I have ever come to encounter in my 39 years on this earth.

If a single player was as wet as these fans bumming the life out of a great day for Maidstone, I’d want them out of the club. I can’t imagine a single one went home lastnight and was ok, I’d wager that KM likely got very little sleep.

Agree that shouting at refs, or kids, in youth football is dreadful though.
[Post edited 28 Jan 10:56]

[Post edited 28 Jan 20:23]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 20:35 - Jan 28 with 1062 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 10:51 - Jan 28 by textbackup

Wanting, or being ok, with the opposition beating you goes against anything I have ever come to encounter in my 39 years on this earth.

If a single player was as wet as these fans bumming the life out of a great day for Maidstone, I’d want them out of the club. I can’t imagine a single one went home lastnight and was ok, I’d wager that KM likely got very little sleep.

The thing nobody is talking about is how we had an absolutely gimme to get to the 5th round and potentially go very far in the competition.. who is to say we wouldn’t have got to Wembley? It’s embarrassing in every respect, as is the fact we’ve never played at the new Wembley, beaten our local rivals in years etc.
Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 09:20 - Jan 29 with 950 viewsCityBlue

When the second goal went in I turned to my wife and said this is why I bloody love the FA Cup.

I T I D

Login to get fewer ads

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 09:32 - Jan 29 with 938 viewstextbackup

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 20:10 - Jan 28 by BanksterDebtSlave

[Post edited 28 Jan 20:23]

You using something serious like the Samaritans to try and win points on the Internet over a support being pissed off about a football result.

Says more about you than anything else

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 09:34 - Jan 29 with 935 viewstextbackup

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 20:35 - Jan 28 by PrideOfTheEast

The thing nobody is talking about is how we had an absolutely gimme to get to the 5th round and potentially go very far in the competition.. who is to say we wouldn’t have got to Wembley? It’s embarrassing in every respect, as is the fact we’ve never played at the new Wembley, beaten our local rivals in years etc.

It’s too cool to care though, apparently losing is what sport is all about.

Such a weak underbelly of supporters at this club.

Caring we lost is apparently bet wetting.

I’d suggest they are just sht supporters

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 09:43 - Jan 29 with 921 viewsMattinLondon

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 09:34 - Jan 29 by textbackup

Think most people are embarrassed about the result on Saturday, but most are sensible enough to realise that it was a freak result. We had the lions share of possession and chances and normally that game would have ended 4-0 to us. But it was a freak result. It doesn’t show a weak underbelly but more a sense of realism over token hyperbole.

Unlike the catastrophe at Lincoln we did play well it just didn’t happen. I’ll be surprised if there isn’t a massive reaction against Preston.

Caring isn’t bed wetting but banging on about being a national embarrassment is simply pathetic. Who gives a f**k about what other supporters think?
Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 10:14 - Jan 29 with 899 viewstextbackup

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 09:43 - Jan 29 by MattinLondon

Think most people are embarrassed about the result on Saturday, but most are sensible enough to realise that it was a freak result. We had the lions share of possession and chances and normally that game would have ended 4-0 to us. But it was a freak result. It doesn’t show a weak underbelly but more a sense of realism over token hyperbole.

Unlike the catastrophe at Lincoln we did play well it just didn’t happen. I’ll be surprised if there isn’t a massive reaction against Preston.

Caring isn’t bed wetting but banging on about being a national embarrassment is simply pathetic. Who gives a f**k about what other supporters think?

I’m sure those saying it care, personally that’s not even entered my mind so can’t answer that question.

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 10:20 - Jan 29 with 889 viewsEuropablue

I don't think it's a case of being ok with the opposition beating us. We just couldn't match the desire, like the home derby was like a cup final for Norwich, it was just a potential 3 points for our promotion push, similarly that cup match was so much bigger for Maidstone.
I don't think we approached the game in the wrong way at all. It was down to luck and lack of clinical finishing and an inspired performance by their keeper as well as two amazing finishes, one of them coming from a foul in the build-up.
The defending was suspect, but the most notable thing is that the squad looks a little threadbare. We have a Championship starting 11, but the squad still remains a league one squad. Injuries and loan recalls plus not having had the luck to be able to bring in a couple of new strikers has left us a little bit vulnerable.
Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 11:39 - Jan 29 with 850 viewssotd78

I applauded both their first goal and the final whistle. There's two teams in every game. Sometimes it's good to recognise that. Maidstone rode their luck and won. Well played.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 19:22 - Jan 29 with 771 viewsbrushhand

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 09:34 - Jan 29 by textbackup

i applauded their manager when he walked past the sbrl.
i was f@@king fuming at the time, still am to be honest, but i thought he was due some respect for their achievement.
Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 19:34 - Jan 29 with 757 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 09:32 - Jan 29 by textbackup

You using something serious like the Samaritans to try and win points on the Internet over a support being pissed off about a football result.

Says more about you than anything else

I have literally no idea what you're on about, do you?

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 19:36 - Jan 29 with 752 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

"Grow some balls he said, grow some balls!"

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 19:36 - Jan 29 with 751 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

No, we all care. We're all pissed off. But some of us are handling it like adults, not whining and wailing on the internet.

It's not being "too cool to care", it's not being a fückwit.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 20:18 - Jan 29 with 712 viewsRyorry

ITFC fans, despite being depressed & disappointed at not winning the game, also being able to recognise a classic example of the underdogs having their day in the sun, & having the capacity to empathise with how their fans, team, manager & staff must have been feeling, is most certainly not "weak", or being "sht supporters" - quite the opposite I'd say. It's sharing the spirit of football, esp the FA Cup.

The reason our Wembly win v. Barnsley sticks in my mind as the most brilliant day ever in football, isn't only because we won. It's also because I remember the pre-match two separate but side by side long ribbons of red & blue peacefully winding along Wemburley Way towards the stadium, without a copper in sight; and the way their fans behaved so well, congratulated us & were fair afterwards in their assessment of the performances by both sides; and their singing, laughing & good natured banter with us (all still in colours) as we shared a carriage on the train back to Yorkshire.

It's understandable that you're feeling sore, but kindly stop insulting those of us who are able to swallow an embarrassing cup result better than you are.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 21:40 - Jan 29 with 656 viewsSwansea_Blue

No, losing isn’t what “sport is all about”. Being a massive flouncing girl’s blouse when you inevitably lose isn’t what sport is about either. I get it though. We’re all upset / annoyed that we lost, but the main thing then is how you respond to it.
[Post edited 29 Jan 21:53]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024