Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Last day muck 10:21 - May 2 with 2381 viewsunbelievablue

I can't recall too many "they just needed a point to go up and mucked it up" scenarios. But I thought I'd wind you all up by starting a thread on it, after seeing this:

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Last day muck on 10:23 - May 2 with 2150 viewsBuffaloBill

Oh yeah, we all need that to calm the nerves!

Are you an undertaker by chance?

Poll: Incentives to want to be promoted

Last day muck on 10:23 - May 2 with 2136 viewsunbelievablue

Last day muck on 10:23 - May 2 by BuffaloBill

Oh yeah, we all need that to calm the nerves!

Are you an undertaker by chance?

Graaaave digger.

It helps me to visualise all potential scenarios :D

Last day muck on 10:29 - May 2 with 2094 viewsunbelievablue

A classic that I first saw on Danny Baker's Fabulous World of Freak Football.

Last day muck on 10:35 - May 2 with 2070 viewstonybied

This serves as a reminder that things are far from over and we still need to keep our feet on the ground. It looks unlikely we should miss out on paper, but Huddersfield will not just bend over and take it. Some of their fans may be "happy" to lose if it means Leeds missing out but their manager and players will not feel this way at all and would want to sign out the season with a win.

Keep those heads down, ignore the noise, follow the processes that have got us here and we should be up!
Last day muck on 10:52 - May 2 with 1952 viewsGeoffSentence

Last day muck on 10:35 - May 2 by tonybied

This serves as a reminder that things are far from over and we still need to keep our feet on the ground. It looks unlikely we should miss out on paper, but Huddersfield will not just bend over and take it. Some of their fans may be "happy" to lose if it means Leeds missing out but their manager and players will not feel this way at all and would want to sign out the season with a win.

Keep those heads down, ignore the noise, follow the processes that have got us here and we should be up!

They won't , however, have the "do this for the fans" line of motivation available to them.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Last day muck on 10:55 - May 2 with 1928 viewsGuthrum

Last day muck on 10:35 - May 2 by tonybied

Fortunately, we have a Manager and Captain neither of whom will permit any complacency. Emotions and tension are more likely to be directed into a determination to win.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Last day muck on 10:57 - May 2 with 1896 viewsTrequartista

Liverpool v Arsenal 1988-89

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Last day muck on 11:07 - May 2 with 1838 viewsEuropablue

Last day muck on 10:55 - May 2 by Guthrum

Fortunately, we have a Manager and Captain neither of whom will permit any complacency. Emotions and tension are more likely to be directed into a determination to win.

We were not up to our usual standards on the final day last season because we'd reached our massive goal. Even a group of players as disciplined as our couldn't "just be professional" and perform in the final match.
I suspect that the same will be true of Huddersfield in that they failed to reach their massive goal of staying up, and try as they might, they won't be able to pick themselves up to put in a performance.
98 times out of 100, we will win this match, the other two are a draw or a loss and we have to guard against those outcomes, because there is not room for even a slither of a chance of not making it after coming so far.
Login to get fewer ads

Last day muck on 11:15 - May 2 with 1797 viewsGuthrum

Last day muck on 11:07 - May 2 by Europablue

We were not up to our usual standards on the final day last season because we'd reached our massive goal. Even a group of players as disciplined as our couldn't "just be professional" and perform in the final match.
I suspect that the same will be true of Huddersfield in that they failed to reach their massive goal of staying up, and try as they might, they won't be able to pick themselves up to put in a performance.
98 times out of 100, we will win this match, the other two are a draw or a loss and we have to guard against those outcomes, because there is not room for even a slither of a chance of not making it after coming so far.

This is more like the Exeter game, where we really needed a result to make sure of promotion in a tight race. There was the coach welcome, packed ground, incredible atmosphere. But the team kept its discipline and got the job done.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Last day muck on 11:15 - May 2 with 1795 viewsOldFart71

There is of course always that little niggle in the back of your mind that with Huddersfield relegated they have absolutely no pressure on them. They shut up shop, waste time, nick a goal and then defend for their lives. But don't we know have a team with a mindset like possibly no other before, where they have huge belief in themselves are one point from a return to the Prem and will be coached with that in mind. Just go out and enjoy it lads. We know you will give it your all and whatever happens we are proud of everyone connected with ITFC.
Last day muck on 11:20 - May 2 with 1759 viewsgainsboroughblue

I think it was the truncated covid season when Forest I think monumentally cocked up on the last day with a goal swing that let Swansea into the play-offs at their expense. Or it was the other way round?

The Derby example in the OP helped us through the back door.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Last day muck on 11:22 - May 2 with 1710 viewsdavblue

Last day muck on 11:07 - May 2 by Europablue

they'd been on the razz for 3 or 4 days solid as well by the looks of things.
Last day muck on 11:33 - May 2 with 1614 viewsunbelievablue

Last day muck on 11:20 - May 2 by gainsboroughblue

I think it was the truncated covid season when Forest I think monumentally cocked up on the last day with a goal swing that let Swansea into the play-offs at their expense. Or it was the other way round?

The Derby example in the OP helped us through the back door.

Hadn't even clocked that it was us who benefitted from the Derby loss I posted!

Last day muck on 11:36 - May 2 with 1598 viewsitfcjoe

Difference is there they didn't only need a point at start of game from what I remember, because we lost that day and made it in, so they would have needed to better our result

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Last day muck on 13:52 - May 2 with 1319 viewsClareBlue

Last day muck on 11:36 - May 2 by itfcjoe

Difference is there they didn't only need a point at start of game from what I remember, because we lost that day and made it in, so they would have needed to better our result

I think that was the case. They didn't know what they needed during the game so they were all out for a win. It's retrospective saying they only needed a point. That's how it turned out but they didn'tknow that. We know we need a point. It's different.
Anyway, we are way better than that Derby team.
Last day muck on 15:18 - May 2 with 1199 viewsKropotkin123

At home too πŸ˜‚

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Last day muck on 15:21 - May 2 with 1181 viewsnorfsufblue

Last day muck on 10:29 - May 2 by unbelievablue

TWTD'sπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Last day muck on 15:35 - May 2 with 1152 viewsLeaky

Last day muck on 11:15 - May 2 by Guthrum

This is more like the Exeter game, where we really needed a result to make sure of promotion in a tight race. There was the coach welcome, packed ground, incredible atmosphere. But the team kept its discipline and got the job done.

Agree with your thoughts on the Exeter game, however we still had Fleetwood to come if things went pear shaped.
Last day muck on 21:37 - May 2 with 912 viewspatrickswell

I contributed to one of these threads on the When Saturday Comes board earlier. Are there any Town fans here who went to Bradford on the final day of the 87/88 season? A win would have seen Bradford get automatically promoted to the First Division. Our form from January onwards had been pretty dismal and we had subsided to an 8th place finish. But on that day we beat Bradford 3-2 and they lost out in the play-off semi finals.

As things turned out, a draw would have sent them up on goals scored, but Aston Villa nipped in ahead of them thanks to a goalless draw and went up over Middlesbrough due to goals scored.
[Post edited 2 May 21:40]
Last day muck on 21:58 - May 2 with 836 viewsRadlett_blue

When Leeds lost that game to WBA, there were still 4 games to go . WBA were a reasonable side, not effectively relegated dross.
Yes, Saturday isn't a slam dunk, but we should win comfortably , unless we fail to score or are a goal down after an hour, in which case it could get very nervy.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Last day muck on 22:00 - May 2 with 829 viewsMK1

Thankfully, we are nothing like Derby.
Last day muck on 22:01 - May 2 with 823 viewsgainsboroughblue

Last day muck on 21:37 - May 2 by patrickswell

I contributed to one of these threads on the When Saturday Comes board earlier. Are there any Town fans here who went to Bradford on the final day of the 87/88 season? A win would have seen Bradford get automatically promoted to the First Division. Our form from January onwards had been pretty dismal and we had subsided to an 8th place finish. But on that day we beat Bradford 3-2 and they lost out in the play-off semi finals.

As things turned out, a draw would have sent them up on goals scored, but Aston Villa nipped in ahead of them thanks to a goalless draw and went up over Middlesbrough due to goals scored.
[Post edited 2 May 21:40]

We were as popular as a turd in a swimming pool after that from what I hear. I didn't go to that one but was soberingly there the season after, the day of the Hillsborough disaster.

Last day muck on 22:08 - May 2 with 803 viewsRadlett_blue

And, years later, referee Ray Tinkler was still adamant that he got this one right. Even at the time, I thought Suggett probably wasn't "seeking to gain an advantage & interfering with play" as the law read then & I get Tinkler's point that the lino didn't help him by not putting his flag down.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2009/apr/18/ray-tinkler-played-advantage-leeds

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Last day muck on 22:13 - May 2 with 770 viewsgainsboroughblue

Last day muck on 22:08 - May 2 by Radlett_blue

And, years later, referee Ray Tinkler was still adamant that he got this one right. Even at the time, I thought Suggett probably wasn't "seeking to gain an advantage & interfering with play" as the law read then & I get Tinkler's point that the lino didn't help him by not putting his flag down.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2009/apr/18/ray-tinkler-played-advantage-leeds

The only thing I remember of the commentary was Barry Davies saying 'And Leeds will go mad, and they've every right to go mad.'

Last day muck on 22:21 - May 2 with 736 viewsbackwaywhen

Last day muck on 10:57 - May 2 by Trequartista

Liverpool v Arsenal 1988-89

Two top teams ….totally different mindset , the title was at stake for both sides .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024