Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sammie Szmodics 15:33 - May 9 with 6219 viewsitfcjoe

Feels an inevitability he ends up with an EPL club (or Celtic) this Summer, and wonder whether it's one we would be in for.

We've been in for him before under McKenna, and we tend to revisit the same targets window to window (or have done previously)

He's obviously had an incredible season with 27 goals, he doesn't strike me as a one season wonder but just a player who has put together what he has threatened to over last few seasons finally

Geographically it works for us, but will his Colchester background be a help or hindrance?

I get people who say 'no resale value' but think in year 1 of the PL, it is important that we get some players in their prime as well because we can't just be developing players wholly - we need to hit the ground running. Remember this ownership group signed Freddie Ladapo, Greg Leigh, Marcus Harness, Mass Luongo and Dom Ball in L1, these were players for the here and now and not ones with any real resale value or scope to develop.

I think that element of our recruitment (i.e. looking for resale value) is very much over-egged, realistically Leif Davis and Harry Clarke the only 2 players signed in that mould so don't expect us to go too heavy in that direction.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Sammie Szmodics on 23:45 - May 9 with 1398 viewsWicklowBlue

Sammie Szmodics on 21:36 - May 9 by cressi

Survive one season and its payed for

Indeed think we might be entering the Ross Halls 30 and bin them off mindset lol! Worth a gamble at the right price and his opportunity to play in the EPL with a great Irish manager.
Sammie Szmodics on 00:15 - May 10 with 1345 viewsBondiBlue

Sammie Szmodics on 16:11 - May 9 by Illinoisblue

Blackburn will, rightly, want stupid money for him and can’t see us splashing 10mill (or more) for him even though I agree with you that we’re going to need players for the here and now.

If we're not willing to spend 10 million on a player for the first team, we're going down.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Sammie Szmodics on 00:20 - May 10 with 1339 viewsBondiBlue

Agree. I'm wondering about the size of his release clause as well. Still strikes me as odd that he signed a fresh new deal (not just the club takimg a year's option) in jan for a struggling team in financial difficulty when he was already the league's top scorer.

Smodzics signed a new deal in jan by BondiBlue 5 May 22:56
That deal SURELY has a release clause. Surely the release clause can't be that high because he had all the power in that negotiation. 28yo - in his prime, 27 goals this year - confidence sky high, very much a mckenna type. Let's go get him.

Burns, hutchinson, chaplin, sarmiento, broadhead and smodzics rotating for 3 positions behind the striker will do for me.

Sammie Szmodics on 04:04 - May 10 with 1258 viewsX0Y0

I half agree, in that we prioritised going up over resale value investments, but we also didn’t pay material fees for any of those experienced heads.

Every time we spent a big fee (Davis, Clarke, Hirst, Broadhead?, Taylor) we had a strong opportunity to recuperate that investment, and even see it grow with a successful season or two given their age profiles.

But Smodizcs is older. And we would be paying peak prices (5-10x those above?), so there is a reasonable chance you sell at a loss or he runs down the contract. It wouldn’t entirely surprise me, given his output and intelligence, and premier league money changes the equation, but I still don’t think he fits the previous recruitment ‘model’
Sammie Szmodics on 07:26 - May 10 with 1162 viewsbobbyramsey

Sammie Szmodics on 00:15 - May 10 by BondiBlue

If we're not willing to spend 10 million on a player for the first team, we're going down.

Indeed, I'm not a fan of going on a spending frenzy but if we can't loosen the purse strings
while we're in the richest league on the planet, we never will
Sammie Szmodics on 07:53 - May 10 with 1148 viewsITFCBlues

Sammie Szmodics on 00:15 - May 10 by BondiBlue

Who's said 10m? Reported they want 15-25m for him.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Sammie Szmodics on 08:01 - May 10 with 1121 viewsBondiBlue

Sammie Szmodics on 07:53 - May 10 by ITFCBlues

I'm sure they do, but like i said in my thread, if his agent hasn't insisted on a much lower release clause than that, smodzics should sack him.

Sammie Szmodics on 08:12 - May 10 with 1087 viewsITFCBlues

Sammie Szmodics on 08:01 - May 10 by BondiBlue

I'm sure they do, but like i said in my thread, if his agent hasn't insisted on a much lower release clause than that, smodzics should sack him.

No mention of any release clause... And why would Blackburn do that? They'd get at least 10m for him with 1 year on his deal anyway?

He's probably earning a few extra K a week as a result of the new deal and would pretect him if he was to get injured. Not sure why you'd sack your agent for that.

Login to get fewer ads

Sammie Szmodics on 08:22 - May 10 with 1067 viewsjayessess

Sammie Szmodics on 07:53 - May 10 by ITFCBlues

But no-one is going to pay that, are they? Realistically, Blackburn are in the same situation we were with McGoldrick and Murphy back in the day. We had two excellent Championship players whose performances made them interesting to bigger clubs but in an age bracket that makes it difficult to command a premium.

Either you resign yourself to selling them for a good (but not exorbitant) fee or you'll watch their value erode to nothing year-on-year (but you'll have them playing for you, which is nice).

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Sammie Szmodics on 08:34 - May 10 with 1044 viewsportmanking

Sammie Szmodics on 08:22 - May 10 by jayessess

But no-one is going to pay that, are they? Realistically, Blackburn are in the same situation we were with McGoldrick and Murphy back in the day. We had two excellent Championship players whose performances made them interesting to bigger clubs but in an age bracket that makes it difficult to command a premium.

Either you resign yourself to selling them for a good (but not exorbitant) fee or you'll watch their value erode to nothing year-on-year (but you'll have them playing for you, which is nice).

Agreed. I think they'll be lucky to get £10m, personally, given his age and Blackburn's financial predicament. They only got £18m for Wharton who has ten more years in the tank than Szmodics - and is a sure-fire Prem star.
Sammie Szmodics on 08:43 - May 10 with 1017 viewsITFCBlues

Sammie Szmodics on 08:34 - May 10 by portmanking

Agreed. I think they'll be lucky to get £10m, personally, given his age and Blackburn's financial predicament. They only got £18m for Wharton who has ten more years in the tank than Szmodics - and is a sure-fire Prem star.

If he's 10m, then I'd probably be all over that. But can see 15m+ myself. Goalscorers aren't an easy commodity to find.

Sammie Szmodics on 08:47 - May 10 with 993 viewstractorboy1978

Sammie Szmodics on 08:12 - May 10 by ITFCBlues

No mention of any release clause... And why would Blackburn do that? They'd get at least 10m for him with 1 year on his deal anyway?

He's probably earning a few extra K a week as a result of the new deal and would pretect him if he was to get injured. Not sure why you'd sack your agent for that.

They wouldn't get £10m for him with a year left. A couple of clubs were seriously interested in him going into January (Luton one of them). From what I gather, Blackburn gave him the new contract to keep him sweet until the summer. He's close to single handedly kept them in the division. I'd be surprised if there isn't a fairly reasonable release clause in it. It's been his plan to move back this way this summer for a while.
[Post edited 10 May 8:48]
Sammie Szmodics on 09:40 - May 10 with 949 viewsitfcjoe

Sammie Szmodics on 04:04 - May 10 by X0Y0

I half agree, in that we prioritised going up over resale value investments, but we also didn’t pay material fees for any of those experienced heads.

Every time we spent a big fee (Davis, Clarke, Hirst, Broadhead?, Taylor) we had a strong opportunity to recuperate that investment, and even see it grow with a successful season or two given their age profiles.

But Smodizcs is older. And we would be paying peak prices (5-10x those above?), so there is a reasonable chance you sell at a loss or he runs down the contract. It wouldn’t entirely surprise me, given his output and intelligence, and premier league money changes the equation, but I still don’t think he fits the previous recruitment ‘model’

Hirst, Taylor and Broadhead were all 24 when we signed them - that is more a coming into prime sort of age and tying them down for that opposed to buying to sell on for a big fee .

Leif Davis is still younger now than they all were when we signed them, other than Davis and Clarke, we've only signed Ahadme, Slicker and Ali Al-Hamadi who were under 22.....I think the buying players with resale value as a policy is a bit of a myth for us - we are buying players to contribute straight away first and foremost.

Sammie Szmodics on 09:44 - May 10 with 912 viewsVaughan8

I like him. Played in a struggling team but takes his chances well. Would probably be in a similar situation with us in the PL.

I would like to see us sign him, but only for a decent price. if £20m+, that seems quite a lot!
Sammie Szmodics on 09:47 - May 10 with 880 viewsRimsy

Too much money for his age. As someone else mentioned, much rather use the money to get Omari (or Sarmiento).

BlueBlood

Sammie Szmodics on 09:49 - May 10 with 876 viewstractorboy1978

Sammie Szmodics on 09:40 - May 10 by itfcjoe

Hirst, Taylor and Broadhead were all 24 when we signed them - that is more a coming into prime sort of age and tying them down for that opposed to buying to sell on for a big fee .

Leif Davis is still younger now than they all were when we signed them, other than Davis and Clarke, we've only signed Ahadme, Slicker and Ali Al-Hamadi who were under 22.....I think the buying players with resale value as a policy is a bit of a myth for us - we are buying players to contribute straight away first and foremost.

I'm not sure it is either/or really. I'm sure the intention with Hirst, Broadhead and Taylor was to build their value at the same time as being able to contribute straight away. Davis was definitely bought in to contribute straight away.
[Post edited 10 May 9:50]
Sammie Szmodics on 09:55 - May 10 with 844 viewsITFCBlues

Sammie Szmodics on 09:40 - May 10 by itfcjoe

But even at the age of 24/25, PL clubs could quite easily come in and buy those players at 10-15m for a 26 year old.

Look at Ben Sheaf now as an example, linked with 10m deal, although cov fans say he's worth way more than that.

Sammie Szmodics on 09:58 - May 10 with 822 viewsITFCBlues

Sammie Szmodics on 08:47 - May 10 by tractorboy1978

They wouldn't get £10m for him with a year left. A couple of clubs were seriously interested in him going into January (Luton one of them). From what I gather, Blackburn gave him the new contract to keep him sweet until the summer. He's close to single handedly kept them in the division. I'd be surprised if there isn't a fairly reasonable release clause in it. It's been his plan to move back this way this summer for a while.
[Post edited 10 May 8:48]

You don't think a PL club would pay 10m for a player that's scored 27 goals last season? They 100% would. Brererton Diaz was linked with 10m+ moves when he had 6 months on his deal.

The established PL clubs are happy to throw money at players, completely different ball game to what we've been used to.

Sammie Szmodics on 10:01 - May 10 with 790 viewsitfcjoe

Sammie Szmodics on 09:55 - May 10 by ITFCBlues

But even at the age of 24/25, PL clubs could quite easily come in and buy those players at 10-15m for a 26 year old.

Look at Ben Sheaf now as an example, linked with 10m deal, although cov fans say he's worth way more than that.

But you can't be buying players that age with the hope/expectation of turning a profit on them, it might happen every now and again like when we made a good profit on Waghorn in a season but it's not a good business plan - it's just hopefully a nice bonus if it happens

Sammie Szmodics on 10:04 - May 10 with 755 viewsRobTheMonk

My favourite Szmodics moment of the season was "Hladky giveth, Hladky take away".
Sammie Szmodics on 10:49 - May 10 with 633 viewsjayessess

Sammie Szmodics on 09:58 - May 10 by ITFCBlues

You don't think a PL club would pay 10m for a player that's scored 27 goals last season? They 100% would. Brererton Diaz was linked with 10m+ moves when he had 6 months on his deal.

The established PL clubs are happy to throw money at players, completely different ball game to what we've been used to.

The best offer Blackburn got was from Fulham for "up to £10m" in August 2022 with 12 months on his deal, off the back of 22 goals in 38 games. He was only 23 though. They were holding out for £15m and didn't get it, then lost him for free the following Summer.

Wouldn't say the lesson there is that Championship clubs are in a position to hold out for big big money when one of their older players has an unexpectedly good season. Szmodics being on a longer contract obviously makes a big difference, but age pushes the other way (and means both he and Blackburn have a narrowing window to make that sort of deal).
[Post edited 10 May 10:58]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Sammie Szmodics on 10:55 - May 10 with 611 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Sammie Szmodics on 18:41 - May 9 by ibbleobble

I think we’ll be adding a bit of PL know how to the squad. I don’t envisage us signing more than about 4 or 5 players, 3 of those being through the spine of the team so I’m not sure on Szmodic. I seem to remember us being in for a German target man at the same time we were looking at Gallagher and Moore though so I wouldn’t rule out us going abroad and my “PL experience” thought being wide of the mark.

Problem with PL know how is that it comes with PL wages. The squad is unbelievably tight and we don’t want to undermine that.

Personally I’d prefer to sign top end Championship players whose salary expectations will hopefully be in line with what others are earning

Poll: Our final position

Sammie Szmodics on 11:12 - May 10 with 574 views_clive_baker_

Ultimately will depend on how much they would want for him I imagine, I've got no idea what Blackburn's expectations would be or their resolve if a decent offer came in. While your point around upside potential being over egged might be true, its only ever where we've spent serious funds. I do think it'll be necessary to add experience and players for the here and now, like Luton did with players like Barkley and Townsend, but I can't see us parting with huge fees for someone of Szomodics profile. I could see us paying a few million, but little more than that.

Prevention is better than cure though, and our best chance of establishing ourselves in the premier league is to stay there from day 1. I don't really buy the 'go down and be better for it', look how that worked out for Watford and Norwich, and 1 of Leeds and Southampton this year. There's no guarantees we would come back, especially as it would likely be with a different management team. McKenna won't manage at that level again and nor should he. Our recruitment is going to be massive this season, IF we're to make a fist of it we'll need some premier league know how in there for sure. Szmodics doesn't offer that though. There's a fair few of our squad I would back to step up, I think Burns & Davis are 2 that have all the ingredients to in terms of raw pace and athleticism. Hirst is a hell of a centre forward, I would back him at a higher level. Hutchinson would too if its a deal we could do.

In the words of Lambert, we'll definitely 'need some help'. I'm really interested to see which forwards we target, presumably Moore won't stay.
Sammie Szmodics on 11:22 - May 10 with 532 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Sammie Szmodics on 11:12 - May 10 by _clive_baker_

Ultimately will depend on how much they would want for him I imagine, I've got no idea what Blackburn's expectations would be or their resolve if a decent offer came in. While your point around upside potential being over egged might be true, its only ever where we've spent serious funds. I do think it'll be necessary to add experience and players for the here and now, like Luton did with players like Barkley and Townsend, but I can't see us parting with huge fees for someone of Szomodics profile. I could see us paying a few million, but little more than that.

Prevention is better than cure though, and our best chance of establishing ourselves in the premier league is to stay there from day 1. I don't really buy the 'go down and be better for it', look how that worked out for Watford and Norwich, and 1 of Leeds and Southampton this year. There's no guarantees we would come back, especially as it would likely be with a different management team. McKenna won't manage at that level again and nor should he. Our recruitment is going to be massive this season, IF we're to make a fist of it we'll need some premier league know how in there for sure. Szmodics doesn't offer that though. There's a fair few of our squad I would back to step up, I think Burns & Davis are 2 that have all the ingredients to in terms of raw pace and athleticism. Hirst is a hell of a centre forward, I would back him at a higher level. Hutchinson would too if its a deal we could do.

In the words of Lambert, we'll definitely 'need some help'. I'm really interested to see which forwards we target, presumably Moore won't stay.

Hirst is going to be interesting but, like you, I think he'll step up and deliver if given the opportunity.
Sammie Szmodics on 12:02 - May 10 with 441 viewsEireannach_gorm

Sammie Szmodics on 22:08 - May 9 by jayessess

Just think there's a bit of dissonance between saying a player isn't worth signing because they're 29, has no Premier League experience and no resale value, but also will be too expensive.

All that would apply for any other club looking at him and also applies to Blackburn wanting to realise any value too.

One reason it's worthwhile to target older players is that £5-10m buys you a lot more quality right now (because every penny is predicated on the player they are now) than if you bought a younger player (where some of the fee is potential/resale value/potential longer future with the club).

I think the kernel of the new player decisions it that there needs to be two streams considered.
Experienced ( older? ) players and up and coming youngsters. The experienced players probably will have no sell on value but that is not the reason they are being acquired. The cheaper up and coming players are a riskier but potentially more lucrative option. Its getting this balance right that will keep us in the Premier League.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024