Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nevermind speculation on who we sign.. 08:57 - May 10 with 2380 viewsbaxterbasics

Which members of the current team do you expect to be in the starting 11 come first game?

I am not considering either Hutch or Sarmiento members of the current team.

Assumes we stick with he same formation

(New Keeper)

Leif
Burgess
Axel
(New RB)

Morsy
(New DCM)

(New ATM)
(New ATM/10)
Burns

Hirst

Bench:
Either Walton or Hladky
Clarke
Woolf
Luongo
Broadhead
Chaplin
Taylor
+2 Newbies

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Nevermind speculation on who we sign.. on 13:16 - May 10 with 375 viewsjayessess

Nevermind speculation on who we sign.. on 12:50 - May 10 by southnorfolkblue

Suspect we'll need to adapt our style of play a bit which may reduce the amount we play out from the back. That will bring Walton back into the equation to start as personally I think he's much better keeper than Vas and that may be more important than their respective ability with the ball at their feet

Unless we're doing a proper 180 on our playing style and going long most of the time, there's going to be more rather than less pressure on the goalkeeper's ball-playing skills.

McKenna said at various points that there's more danger in constantly surrendering possession by going long than there is in getting caught playing out, would be surprised if we went fully the other way now.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Nevermind speculation on who we sign.. on 13:28 - May 10 with 350 viewsVic

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hladky, Lief, Woolf, Burgess, Morsy, Chappers, Broady & Hirst all start first game. Axel will be close because of his Prem experience.

I think Taylor may surprise us and cement a place after a few weeks. I also think Hutch will be signed on a perm. Big bucks I know - but his potential is HUGE (speculate to accumulate).

I think we'll sign 3-4 prem experience players - at least one of which will be a established prem forward. Then, as much as we love all our players I think it;s a priority we tighten up/improve our defence. I love Woolfie and Burgess, but they have been in a defence that has let in way too many goals this season - we just cannot afford the same to happen next.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Nevermind speculation on who we sign.. on 13:29 - May 10 with 350 viewsNthQldITFC

Nevermind speculation on who we sign.. on 09:39 - May 10 by jayessess

Seems to be a consensus emerging that over the summer Woolfenden is going to fall behind Tuanzebe for the centre back position. Given that Woolfie started 40/46 games there and Axel just 4/46 that seems unlikely to me.

I suspect there will be a little more rotation there than we're used to with Axel's pace and strength becoming a more important asset and I'd also like to think we might have a 'formation' option which includes them both more centrally against some opponents, a (very) nominal 5-3-2 if you like, but very fluid.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Nevermind speculation on who we sign.. on 13:36 - May 10 with 326 viewsGuthrum

Nevermind speculation on who we sign.. on 13:16 - May 10 by jayessess

Unless we're doing a proper 180 on our playing style and going long most of the time, there's going to be more rather than less pressure on the goalkeeper's ball-playing skills.

McKenna said at various points that there's more danger in constantly surrendering possession by going long than there is in getting caught playing out, would be surprised if we went fully the other way now.

Indeed. When the ball comes down at the end of a long punt, perhaps having drifted in the wind, it depends who's managed to arrive in the right spot and maintain that position against all challengers. Then you have the matter of where the receiving header goes (almost always back towards our own goal) and who succeeds in getting on the end of that one. Plus the risk of descending into head-tennis.

Far less control than playing it out from the back, where you can at least direct the ball more easily towards a team-mate.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Nevermind speculation on who we sign.. on 13:49 - May 10 with 298 viewsmonty_radio

Nevermind speculation on who we sign.. on 10:42 - May 10 by Vaughan8

You're right. I think the step up is a lot more and so unfortunately we need a substantial amount of upgrades/new players.

I read someone said even luton, who I thought hadn't bought loads, still got 13 new players in!

Regarding Moore, I think if we could get him on a good deal, then I would take him. Not a prolific goalscorer, but now with lots of subs and 5 subs allowed, i'd definitely think he could come on and help us defend set pieces etc. if we were winning, as well as still being an attacking threat, holding up the ball etc.
Whether he would come and play that role, i'm not sure.

I think as much as I like both, we might need someone better than Moore and Hirst.....

But one person they didn't get in was Carlton Morris - new to the Prem at 28. And putting aside last year in the Championship with 20 goals, had previously knocked around every English and Scottish league going with 200 apps yielding a princely 36 goals (your long-time 7 goal-a- season striker right there). Yet Morris is proving more than adequate via experience and better coaching.

Not saying we should find similar, but some are blithely dismissing Moore and demanding someone more ready-made both for the Prem and for "our style" (which will not exactly be a carbon copy of "our style" against the top half of the Prem, anyway).

I'm sure will recruit well, but mobile goalscorers are easy to spot because everyone's looking in the same direction, and, at the same time, causing prices to rise to unwise levels for clubs in our position.
[Post edited 10 May 14:30]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Nevermind speculation on who we sign.. on 13:56 - May 10 with 272 viewsnrb1985

Nevermind speculation on who we sign.. on 10:17 - May 10 by J2BLUE

Would you sell him for £1.5m?

Would you sell him for £5m?

His price tag has zero relevance on how good he is now.

Spot on.

Had it not been for his injury, and on assumption he played the second half of the season as well as he did the first, you're talking about a £10-£15m player IMO.

Arguably the PL is less physical than the Champ, so I'm hopeful he can make a good impact next season with his size and running power.
Nevermind speculation on who we sign.. on 13:58 - May 10 with 265 viewsKropotkin123

I don't see a world were we make 6 changes to our first 11. We didn't last season.

I could see the RB changing. If Omari returns, then I can see him coming into the starting lineup ahead of Broadhead.

But 6 changes breaks the benefits of understanding our systems. I don't see it happening based on how previous new players were introduced.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Nevermind speculation on who we sign.. on 14:17 - May 10 with 224 viewscressi

Nevermind speculation on who we sign.. on 12:43 - May 10 by MJallday

Ashton has already said that whilst there will be additions, it won’t be ripping out the heart of the squad

I’d expect in the region of 3/4 signings to complement what we have

3 or 4 not a chance they won't all be starters But there will be 8 + minimum.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024