Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Downes 07:13 - May 13 with 7150 viewsWallingford_Boy

Looked class yesterday.

Bring him home McKenna.

RIP Sir Bobby

Downes on 17:44 - May 13 with 1244 viewsCBMTOBWMMBG

Downes on 17:06 - May 13 by Cheltenham_Blue

There seems to be some selective amnesia around Downes. He didn't leave because he was forced out as part of the 'Demolition Man' summer.

He wanted out as soon as Palace came sniffing to the point he handed in a transfer request.

... and after being managed terribly by Lambert and Cook.

We can only but guess just how badly, too.
Downes on 17:51 - May 13 with 1209 viewsLibero

Why would we need Flynn Downes? Teddy Bishop is back to full fitness next month!
Downes on 17:51 - May 13 with 1207 viewsMK1

Downes on 13:58 - May 13 by ipswichtillidie

Not subscribed but article in the Echo saying how much he loves it at Southampton. Obviously that may change given WHam have a new manager.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/24314893.love-here---flynn-downes-keen-stay-so

I think from that we can say he doesn't want to come here should West Ham get rid.
Downes on 18:23 - May 13 with 1162 viewsStato

The Southampton lads absolutely love him and see him being a really important player for them.

Boysof81
Poll: Who would you put in goal for the game against Peterborough ?
Blog: Lessons to Be Learned From Last Season

Downes on 18:28 - May 13 with 1153 viewsibbleobble

Downes on 14:50 - May 13 by charlie1

You can’t comprehend that a lad who left here aged 22, having played in those dark times under McCarthy, Hurst, Lambert and Cook may have improved in quality since he left here, to the point that he may now be able to contribute far more as a player than he did and therefore have increased in value??

How bizarre.

I mean, it’s not like he went on to win a European Trophy, play in the Premier League and the play-off semi finals of a top Championship side or anything.

Anyone not seeing the quality Downes possesses and the value he adds is at the lower end of the TWTD chit chat pile. The fact The Saints are a different side without him says it all.
Downes on 18:30 - May 13 with 1142 viewsHerbivore

Downes on 17:51 - May 13 by Libero

Why would we need Flynn Downes? Teddy Bishop is back to full fitness next month!

Whoa, there's a blast from the past!

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Downes on 18:32 - May 13 with 1134 viewsBattersea_Blue

Downes on 18:28 - May 13 by ibbleobble

I mean, it’s not like he went on to win a European Trophy, play in the Premier League and the play-off semi finals of a top Championship side or anything.

Anyone not seeing the quality Downes possesses and the value he adds is at the lower end of the TWTD chit chat pile. The fact The Saints are a different side without him says it all.

And quite a few hammers fans I know loved him. They didn’t want him to go out on loan.
Downes on 18:34 - May 13 with 1113 viewsazuremerlangus

Depends what happens to Soton for starters.

Can’t see him coming back but you never know

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Login to get fewer ads

Downes on 18:47 - May 13 with 1075 viewsKieran_Knows

Downes on 17:44 - May 13 by CBMTOBWMMBG

... and after being managed terribly by Lambert and Cook.

We can only but guess just how badly, too.

Cook made a rod for his own back, granted. But he did try get Downes back on side (something which I think Dyer confirmed with them all having a meeting), but the damage was already done.

Shame it ended the way we did, would love him back and hopefully something we pursue this summer. He’d be unreal under McKenna.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Downes on 18:52 - May 13 with 1063 viewsMK1

Downes on 18:47 - May 13 by Kieran_Knows

Cook made a rod for his own back, granted. But he did try get Downes back on side (something which I think Dyer confirmed with them all having a meeting), but the damage was already done.

Shame it ended the way we did, would love him back and hopefully something we pursue this summer. He’d be unreal under McKenna.

So would plenty of others at a lower price.
Downes on 19:03 - May 13 with 1036 viewsPencilpete

Downes on 18:52 - May 13 by MK1

So would plenty of others at a lower price.

Downes has had his time here, it was underwhelming and ended badly

If he was that good, that much of a difference maker why couldn’t he impact what was a bang average league one team?

He downed tools and got the move he wanted, we got decent money for him both sides have moved on
Downes on 19:06 - May 13 with 1031 viewsjaykay

Downes on 18:30 - May 13 by Herbivore

Whoa, there's a blast from the past!

its only been 4 years.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Downes on 19:08 - May 13 with 1012 viewsstonojnr

1) if he's that good, someone else in the Prem with more money than us will buy him

2) if his class game is now to trip over every blade of grass he encounters, like he did against us, I dont think he'll fit in with McKennas system of playing.

also apart from theatrically falling over all the time, he didnt exactly do alot for Southampton that night, except complain about us fans afterwards.

Id leave him be at Southampton
Downes on 19:35 - May 13 with 971 viewsHerbivore

Downes on 19:03 - May 13 by Pencilpete

Downes has had his time here, it was underwhelming and ended badly

If he was that good, that much of a difference maker why couldn’t he impact what was a bang average league one team?

He downed tools and got the move he wanted, we got decent money for him both sides have moved on

Repeating it doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

Downes on 22:14 - May 13 with 876 viewscharlie1

Downes on 19:35 - May 13 by Herbivore

Wonder how many fans of other teams are looking at their former ‘bang average’ players - Morsy, Luongo, Burns, Chaplin, Hirst etc. see their success but would point blank refuse to have them back at their club because of a frankly ridiculous inability to recognise that players can improve and develop under different coaches and environments……

Not many at all would be my guess.
Downes on 22:20 - May 13 with 870 viewsPencilpete

Downes on 19:35 - May 13 by Herbivore

Why don’t we give Skuse another year see if he’s improved too - what about Tom Adeyemi ? He must be fit by now 😂

Downes was average at best when he was here and he was average at best when he played against us last month, he can’t get a game for West Ham and has been on loan at a club that finished below us but you want us to splash £10m on him

But I’M being ridiculous
Downes on 22:41 - May 13 with 845 viewsHerbivore

Downes on 22:20 - May 13 by Pencilpete

Why don’t we give Skuse another year see if he’s improved too - what about Tom Adeyemi ? He must be fit by now 😂

Downes was average at best when he was here and he was average at best when he played against us last month, he can’t get a game for West Ham and has been on loan at a club that finished below us but you want us to splash £10m on him

But I’M being ridiculous

Yes, you're being ridiculous.

Downes on 22:51 - May 13 with 830 viewsBondiBlue

I was flynn's biggest fan when he was here and i understood why he wanted to go. Didn't even really have a problem with how he made the move happen. But i've seen a bunch of my favourite players come back over the years - dyer, scowcroft, ambrose - and it never goes as well as you'd think. Unless the deal for downes is too good to turn down, let's look elsewhere.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Downes on 22:55 - May 13 with 817 viewscressi

Downes on 22:51 - May 13 by BondiBlue

I was flynn's biggest fan when he was here and i understood why he wanted to go. Didn't even really have a problem with how he made the move happen. But i've seen a bunch of my favourite players come back over the years - dyer, scowcroft, ambrose - and it never goes as well as you'd think. Unless the deal for downes is too good to turn down, let's look elsewhere.

His OK but think fans go overboard as he is a ex Town player I would prefer Sheaf at Coventry or James at Birmingham a different sort of player But at 19 more potential.
Downes on 22:59 - May 13 with 812 viewsrickw

The impact he had on Southampton is nearly unbelievable
Of the 34 games he played they won 24 and drew 6 - 2.29 pts per game (which would equate to 105.5 pts per season)
Of the 12 he missed they won 2 and drew 3, which is 0.75 pts per game (34.5 pts per season)

So he wasn't quite the difference between Southampton finishing top or bottom, it was top and 23rd....

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Downes on 23:59 - May 13 with 774 viewsBondiBlue

Downes on 22:59 - May 13 by rickw

The impact he had on Southampton is nearly unbelievable
Of the 34 games he played they won 24 and drew 6 - 2.29 pts per game (which would equate to 105.5 pts per season)
Of the 12 he missed they won 2 and drew 3, which is 0.75 pts per game (34.5 pts per season)

So he wasn't quite the difference between Southampton finishing top or bottom, it was top and 23rd....

His game has come on a lot tactically and it was really interesting to see how martin uses him. Rarely asks for the ball from the defence but instead focuses on getting in the right position to win second balls in midfield when things break down. Martin's taken his best attribute, his ball-winning, and got him to do only that. There is a bit of me that thinks if nckenna got his hands on him and coached his progressive passing and ball-carrying, he could be a complete midfielder. Still don't think it should be here though.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Downes on 08:37 - May 14 with 645 viewsitfcjoe

If Southampton go up, he'll go there - but for me he was the only player that dominated Morsy for a long period all season, for the first hour at portman Road he ran over him.

Morsy swung it back, and made match winning contributions to drive us to victory so may have lost some battles but won the war!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Downes on 12:02 - May 14 with 490 viewsSwansea_Blue

Downes on 13:49 - May 13 by Pencilpete

Downes had over a hundred games to show us what he was capable of and all i saw was Cole Skuse the second ... I didn't see anything like the midfield general dictating play and making driving runs that Southampton have got.

So ultimately a player that didn't give his all for the shirt when he was wearing it and went on strike to get a move .... think we can do without that

Quite right. How a teenager under the tutelage of a string of sh*t managers didn't reach his potential by the age of 21 is beyond me. Obviously he was just lazy.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Downes on 12:14 - May 14 with 462 viewsAnsty

No thanks.

Stroppy little red card who thinks he is better than he is.
Downes on 12:17 - May 14 with 441 viewsBathBlue

Downes on 15:49 - May 13 by MattinLondon

Actually you’re probably right. I’m now going to perform a complete u-turn on this and think about things properly before posting.

Didn’t meet to downvote - fat thumbs - apologies!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024