Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium 18:22 - May 13 with 3400 viewsGuthrum

Do they really think they could fill it on a regular basis? That's larger than the population of the entire town.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 18:51 - May 13 with 2771 viewscressi

30 thousand sheep
Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 19:01 - May 13 with 2733 viewswrightsrightglove

The Wrexham thing is actually quite interesting isn’t it? They’re going to have one of the biggest budgets in league one and will be hoping to attract players ready for the championship in much the same way we did. If they can do that then once they get into the championship they’ll be able to outspend most teams in the league outside of the parachute payment clubs due to their massive sponsorship deals and the money the Disney series brings in. If the owners stick with it I think we’ll see them in the premier league within 3-4 years
Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 19:06 - May 13 with 2691 viewsMK1

Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 19:01 - May 13 by wrightsrightglove

The Wrexham thing is actually quite interesting isn’t it? They’re going to have one of the biggest budgets in league one and will be hoping to attract players ready for the championship in much the same way we did. If they can do that then once they get into the championship they’ll be able to outspend most teams in the league outside of the parachute payment clubs due to their massive sponsorship deals and the money the Disney series brings in. If the owners stick with it I think we’ll see them in the premier league within 3-4 years

Think it will take much longer. A 55,000 stadium is ridiculous for a club of that size. Like the story, but can't see them in the Premier League anytime soon.
Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 19:08 - May 13 with 2658 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 19:06 - May 13 by MK1

Think it will take much longer. A 55,000 stadium is ridiculous for a club of that size. Like the story, but can't see them in the Premier League anytime soon.

And as we know only too well, you can be as rich as you like but you will be constrained by FFP.
Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 19:10 - May 13 with 2634 viewsJ2BLUE

Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 19:01 - May 13 by wrightsrightglove

They have a combined net worth well below Marcus Evans.

It may be more liquid and they may be more willing to spend but you can quickly lose a fortune competing with the big spending Championship sides.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 19:33 - May 13 with 2454 viewsTractorboy24

Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 19:10 - May 13 by J2BLUE

They have a combined net worth well below Marcus Evans.

It may be more liquid and they may be more willing to spend but you can quickly lose a fortune competing with the big spending Championship sides.

It also is well within the novelty timescale, will Americans be visiting in 10 years time? I doubt it, then who is going to turn up to fill a 55,000 seat stadium. Never mind how difficult it is to get out of League One & The Championship and how quickly the interest can wain from both owners and fair weather supporters.
Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 19:37 - May 13 with 2435 viewsSmithersJones

I'd love to know what the owners' end game is. They've certainly done a great deal to raise the profile so I suspect if they sold tomorrow then they'd make a tidy profit. But does the value keep going up? Because the expenses certainly will.
Totally different ownership model but if you look at FC United of Manchester they seem to have got to a point where they don't just get promoted every year, and the story isn't new any more.
Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 19:40 - May 13 with 2405 viewsMullet

Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 19:37 - May 13 by SmithersJones

I'd love to know what the owners' end game is. They've certainly done a great deal to raise the profile so I suspect if they sold tomorrow then they'd make a tidy profit. But does the value keep going up? Because the expenses certainly will.
Totally different ownership model but if you look at FC United of Manchester they seem to have got to a point where they don't just get promoted every year, and the story isn't new any more.

There's also the political aspect to FC United which seems to keep it smaller and insular.

As for Wrexham it seems a bit tone deaf to seriously aim for that. When Brum talked about it shortly before relegation it was fairly laughable.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Login to get fewer ads

That's the smoke and mirrors business plan on 19:40 - May 13 with 2393 viewsDyland

It's pish and tish. An awful lot of ifs there.

Unless they charge £100 a ticket and somehow manage to sell out every game, it's a drop in the ocean and pure vanity.

Ridiculous owners.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 19:47 - May 13 with 2334 viewsCoastalblue

I spend a lot of time with Anerican tourists, often across multiple days. The Wrexham thing truly is huge over there and comes up every time they learn I like 'soccer'.

There's always genuine surprise when I suggest that without outside investment the current ownership are probably not going to have deep enough pockets should they step up another level.

Most do seem to believe that they will be in the PL within 3 or 4 years.

I've also had the chance to educate a few from Arizona, last bunch were ordering Town tops for grandkids by the time they left.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 19:50 - May 13 with 2290 viewsSwansea_Blue

It’s very interesting. They get a lot of hate (jealousy?), but they’re going about it the right way. They’re leaning heavily on local expertise and despite the TV series and social media activity from the owners, proper football people are running the club and providing advice. It shows, as they’ve been making excellent decisions, trusting the manager and players and it’s all paying off. They’re also genuinely invested in the community. They’re a bit like us, but prefer to shout about it and use their owners as figureheads for promotion. And why not? They’re just playing to their strengths.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Fair enough on 19:54 - May 13 with 2251 viewsDyland

Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 19:50 - May 13 by Swansea_Blue

It’s very interesting. They get a lot of hate (jealousy?), but they’re going about it the right way. They’re leaning heavily on local expertise and despite the TV series and social media activity from the owners, proper football people are running the club and providing advice. It shows, as they’ve been making excellent decisions, trusting the manager and players and it’s all paying off. They’re also genuinely invested in the community. They’re a bit like us, but prefer to shout about it and use their owners as figureheads for promotion. And why not? They’re just playing to their strengths.

Not how I see it but I'm not looking very hard so am probaboy wrong :)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 19:56 - May 13 with 2225 viewsMattinLondon

It’s ambitious but surly it’ll take time to build up that level of support to make such a stadium not look like a white elephant. It’ll take a few generations before families who’ve historically supported Liverpool or either Manchester clubs (or even football itself over rugby) become Wrexham supporters.

A bit like MK, being on a large catchment area doesn’t necessarily equate to instant support for them over fans previous clubs. Not a case of ‘build it and they will come’ but common sense over folly. L1 is going to be a lot harder than L2, competing against teams far better than what Wrexham have recently completed against.
Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 20:34 - May 13 with 2051 viewsGuthrum

Thing is, even if they do make it to the Prem, 55k is a very large stadium for the catchment area available. The whole area out to Oswestry, Whitchurch and Chester is still only about 250k people.

So they'd need one in five of the entire population within a radius of about 15 miles to attend in order to fill the place. Most places beyond that range already have large and/or established football clubs of their own.

Or ten to twenty thousand American tourists for every home game. Which would require building a vast new airport.

It's not as if Wrexham is a particularly easy place to get to, with dual carriageway only from Chester to the north (with a very busy junction at that end), otherwise single lane, some quite winding, A-roads. Logistical nightmare.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 21:11 - May 13 with 1929 viewsGeoffSentence

It's not just Wrexham though, they will attract fans fron Summerhill, Gwersyllt and even Mold.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 21:22 - May 13 with 1870 viewsWestSussexBlue

Shades of MK Dons.
Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 21:27 - May 13 with 1842 viewsMidlandBlue25

They only said that as a PR stunt for their new series. They wanted to get themselves on the press and did
Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 21:39 - May 13 with 1761 viewsMVBlue

Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 21:27 - May 13 by MidlandBlue25

They only said that as a PR stunt for their new series. They wanted to get themselves on the press and did

It really does feel like a P.R. stunt.
A big number draws attention and exasperation.
Makes one reason with how successful they are now and what are their limits.

You know it reminds me of this NEOM line city in Saudi Arabia. 180KM long sky rise city.
Now revised to 2km long.

Poll: Whats the best league to watch outside of England?

Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 21:43 - May 13 with 1724 viewsfooters

The government can use it as an interment camp once the Hollywood project collapses.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 21:49 - May 13 with 1655 viewsExiled2Surrey

Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 20:34 - May 13 by Guthrum

Thing is, even if they do make it to the Prem, 55k is a very large stadium for the catchment area available. The whole area out to Oswestry, Whitchurch and Chester is still only about 250k people.

So they'd need one in five of the entire population within a radius of about 15 miles to attend in order to fill the place. Most places beyond that range already have large and/or established football clubs of their own.

Or ten to twenty thousand American tourists for every home game. Which would require building a vast new airport.

It's not as if Wrexham is a particularly easy place to get to, with dual carriageway only from Chester to the north (with a very busy junction at that end), otherwise single lane, some quite winding, A-roads. Logistical nightmare.

Did they actually specify that the stadium would be in Wrexham - or indeed anywhere near Wrexham? Might they build it in Wrexham Avenue, Ohio?
Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 21:49 - May 13 with 1657 viewsolimar

Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 21:27 - May 13 by MidlandBlue25

Im not even sure it was as calculated as that, seemed more a question of how far they think they could develop the stadium and was a bit of a "who knows?" answer, in that they have other stands they could move on to and could develop up to 55k.
I imagine if Mark Ashton was asked that question, he might say something similar.

But didnt get the impression there was any actual concrete plan to do any immediate development beyond the stand they are trying to get rebuilt and struggling to get approved/complete.
Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 21:50 - May 13 with 1645 viewsolimar

Think the interesting thing will be how the story plays out if/when they have a season in midtable, or some wrong choices in the transfer market that stall things a bit.
Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 22:02 - May 13 with 1568 viewsNBVJohn

Are they doing this in a bid to break the monopoly that Cardiff seems to have on big football / rugby internationals?
Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 22:10 - May 13 with 1541 viewsSomethingBlue

Probably not but they tend to like sounding off and it’s all good stuff for what is a very effective and potentially vastly lucrative content farm - which is what Wrexham are now. Interesting to see how far they can take it.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Fair enough on 22:18 - May 13 with 1498 viewsSwansea_Blue

Fair enough on 19:54 - May 13 by Dyland

Not how I see it but I'm not looking very hard so am probaboy wrong :)

How do you see it then? I'm always a bit confused by the negative responses they attract, as here in Wales there's a lot of love. The owners seem to be doing the right thing and have embraced the area, culture, lots of community initiatives, etc. They're putting money into developing the ground to give them the platform to compete at the highest level if they ever get there. They've taken them from near insolvency in non-league to L1 in 3 years, so I'm not sure what else a good owner could do.

There's very little difference between them and us imo. If anything, there's an argument that they're more invested than us, as with them Reynolds and McElhenney are fronting their own investment whereas we have a a management group fronting a pension fund and an equity fund. Nothing wrong with what we are doing of course, as they're just different models, but I don't see how we have any moral high ground over them though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024