Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Posh revenue incoming for Taylor. Can the midfielder step up to the Premiership? 21:58 - May 19 with 3810 viewsunstableblue

His old chairman at Posh, the opinionated Darragh McAnthony, made a lot of negotiating the £1.5m fee, and the potential upside to that. Especially related to promotion:

"I don’t want to get into a row with Ipswich fans over the price and the transfer and who got the better deal. But trust me, I'm a bit like the mounties, I always get my man when it comes to a deal.

"It's a phenomenal deal for us, it's a great deal for Jack. As I promised him, my word's my bond, I do it with my players. I promised him in January that we would do this deal in the summer and we've done that."

MacAnthony, who revealed that Taylor had a tour of Portman Road back in January, added: "I wish him nothing but the best of luck. Love to him and his family. He's been a brilliant player for our football club.

"And I wish Ipswich all the best. I am now a big fan of Ipswich and hope they get promoted to the Premier League because that's worth a lot of money to us, as is the big sell-on, as is the great transfer fee.“

And with 33 appearances, 2 goals, 2 assists, and 868mins in the Championship mean he’ll have contributed enough to the promotion (3 more goals and 2 more assists in the cups)

So McAnthony will have another cheque incoming.

Darragh did also say ““To all those mugs in the Championship, who didn’t come in for him, you’ve f*****d up, like you did with the Ivan Toney deal a couple of years ago when you could have come in for him and you didn’t. He is one of the best young central midfielders outside the Premier League and I firmly believe he could propel Ipswich on a Premier League promotion run.”

The Posh chairman certainly got it right that Taylor may have a part in propelling Town into the Premiership. But maybe not by the scale anticipated, but I do think in some key games he made a real difference.

Can Taylor play a part next season at the highest level??

He’ll be 26 in June, older than I realised. But I like him, I think he has energy and a bit of pace, and breaks the line as a more advanced midfielder.

But it’s a huge step up, and I feel he’s going to have to play out of his skin regularly to succeed. I do think there’s a chance. But perhaps as a back up to the player who will replace Luongo.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Posh revenue incoming for Taylor. Can the midfielder step up to the Premiership? on 22:01 - May 19 with 3724 viewsJ2BLUE

A lot of money to them could be anything really. Half a million max I reckon.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Posh revenue incoming for Taylor. Can the midfielder step up to the Premiership? on 22:14 - May 19 with 3603 viewsburnbudgiesburn

George Hirst will now have cost considerably more than the bargain 1.5m quoted as well.
Posh revenue incoming for Taylor. Can the midfielder step up to the Premiership? on 22:22 - May 19 with 3502 viewsportmanking

Posh revenue incoming for Taylor. Can the midfielder step up to the Premiership? on 22:01 - May 19 by J2BLUE

A lot of money to them could be anything really. Half a million max I reckon.

Promotion bonus was £250k.

Sell-on percentage IS hefty.
Posh revenue incoming for Taylor. Can the midfielder step up to the Premiership? on 22:31 - May 19 with 3425 viewsmylittletown

He is a good player, and may prove to be a useful asset in the Premiership.

He didn't fit that well in the KMcK Championship model, but I think that we may see more of him next season?
Posh revenue incoming for Taylor. Can the midfielder step up to the Premiership? on 22:48 - May 19 with 3301 viewsGuthrum

Fair play to MacAnthony, backed his judgement and us. If you can't hold onto a player, at least get a decent fee and send him to a club where getting the add-ons is a realistic prospect.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I wonder if McKenna will transform us into the transition… on 23:01 - May 19 with 3182 viewsunstableblue

Posh revenue incoming for Taylor. Can the midfielder step up to the Premiership? on 22:31 - May 19 by mylittletown

He is a good player, and may prove to be a useful asset in the Premiership.

He didn't fit that well in the KMcK Championship model, but I think that we may see more of him next season?

… masters?

Sitting deeper, pressing out and then breaking fast in numbers - which would suit Taylor I think.

I wonder if McKenna will transform us into the transition… on 23:26 - May 19 with 3057 viewsbournemouthblue

I wonder if McKenna will transform us into the transition… on 23:01 - May 19 by unstableblue

… masters?

Sitting deeper, pressing out and then breaking fast in numbers - which would suit Taylor I think.

I wondered if he might get a bit more space in the Prem to play so may suit it but time will tell

We certainly need another mobile central midfielder to come in and partner Morsy, Luongo or Taylor etc, we briefly gave Taylor a go at 10 which could happen in the Prem if we are looking to pack the midfield a bit more

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Posh revenue incoming for Taylor. Can the midfielder step up to the Premiership? on 23:47 - May 19 with 3006 viewsfranz_tyson

Personally, I don't think he's good enough for the PL. Great shot on him, but I felt a little underwhelmed. Maybe one we'll offload and try and recoup some of the money on him. I thought he'd nudge Mass out of the team eventually, but he wasn't nowhere near good enough. Useful squad player, but can't say he contributed that much.
Login to get fewer ads

Posh revenue incoming for Taylor. Can the midfielder step up to the Premiership? on 06:29 - May 20 with 2487 viewshoppy

Posh revenue incoming for Taylor. Can the midfielder step up to the Premiership? on 23:47 - May 19 by franz_tyson

Personally, I don't think he's good enough for the PL. Great shot on him, but I felt a little underwhelmed. Maybe one we'll offload and try and recoup some of the money on him. I thought he'd nudge Mass out of the team eventually, but he wasn't nowhere near good enough. Useful squad player, but can't say he contributed that much.

Personally, I think he potentially would’ve shown that this last season. It wasn’t his fault that Massimo found another gear and had such a storming season. That is what prevented Taylor having more games, not that Taylor wasn’t good enough. In my opinion anyway.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Posh revenue incoming for Taylor. Can the midfielder step up to the Premiership? on 06:50 - May 20 with 2415 viewsHerbivore

Posh revenue incoming for Taylor. Can the midfielder step up to the Premiership? on 06:29 - May 20 by hoppy

Personally, I think he potentially would’ve shown that this last season. It wasn’t his fault that Massimo found another gear and had such a storming season. That is what prevented Taylor having more games, not that Taylor wasn’t good enough. In my opinion anyway.

Yeah, I agree. The plan would have been to phase Taylor into the team to be starting ahead of Mass but Mass' performance levels were excellent and made it hard to drop him. Once you're in a promotion battle as well, you don't go tinkering too much with a winning formula.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Posh revenue incoming for Taylor. Can the midfielder step up to the Premiership? on 07:34 - May 20 with 2216 viewsStewart27

Posh revenue incoming for Taylor. Can the midfielder step up to the Premiership? on 23:47 - May 19 by franz_tyson

I think that’s more of a credit to Mass though.

I like Taylor. You could see him improve under KM as the season went on. He contributed very well towards the end when we needed it.
I wonder if McKenna will transform us into the transition… on 08:46 - May 20 with 1961 viewsGuthrum

I wonder if McKenna will transform us into the transition… on 23:01 - May 19 by unstableblue

… masters?

That would be a natural progression in the development of Town's style as we rise through the divisions. Attacks get stronger and there's less of the low block, so we can't push up so freely. We have to be increasingly sharp to take advantage of space created.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Posh revenue incoming for Taylor. Can the midfielder step up to the Premiership? on 09:02 - May 20 with 1864 viewshype313

We're going to need players with huge engines next season, that can run and run and run, he certainly fits that mold and I think he'll be kept on for the coming season.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Posh revenue incoming for Taylor. Can the midfielder step up to the Premiership? on 09:03 - May 20 with 1858 viewsBellevue_Blue

Very very unlikely IMO. All the messages from inside the club are 'consistency is our superpower' and a focus on continually developing players to help them step up.

He's had 1 year! I wouldn't have thought getting rid of a 26yo who was available for 40 league games, played 33 of them and will certainly be needed given the age of our CM partnership would be high up Ashton/ Mckenna's to-do list.
Posh revenue incoming for Taylor. Can the midfielder step up to the Premiership? on 09:27 - May 20 with 1703 viewsunstableblue

Posh revenue incoming for Taylor. Can the midfielder step up to the Premiership? on 09:03 - May 20 by Bellevue_Blue

Very very unlikely IMO. All the messages from inside the club are 'consistency is our superpower' and a focus on continually developing players to help them step up.

He's had 1 year! I wouldn't have thought getting rid of a 26yo who was available for 40 league games, played 33 of them and will certainly be needed given the age of our CM partnership would be high up Ashton/ Mckenna's to-do list.

I agree on the ‘consistency is our super power’ point, and to be honest will be a key factor in any chance of us staying up.

As per my other thread I still think we’ll see significant squad change, maybe 9 new players. But with a constant of Hladky, Axel, Davis, Burgess, Morsy, Burns, Hirst

As for Taylor I agree he has the engine to come on and bring energy to games. So I see him staying as an impact/bolster player behind a new signing who will replace Luongo.

Luongo has been brilliant but doesn’t have the pace for the Premier League.

Posh revenue incoming for Taylor. Can the midfielder step up to the Premiership? on 09:34 - May 20 with 1641 viewsArchiRob

Posh revenue incoming for Taylor. Can the midfielder step up to the Premiership? on 09:27 - May 20 by unstableblue

I agree on the ‘consistency is our super power’ point, and to be honest will be a key factor in any chance of us staying up.

As per my other thread I still think we’ll see significant squad change, maybe 9 new players. But with a constant of Hladky, Axel, Davis, Burgess, Morsy, Burns, Hirst

As for Taylor I agree he has the engine to come on and bring energy to games. So I see him staying as an impact/bolster player behind a new signing who will replace Luongo.

Luongo has been brilliant but doesn’t have the pace for the Premier League.

BROADHEAD?
And yes I am shouting

Poll: What best describes Norwich defeat

Posh revenue incoming for Taylor. Can the midfielder step up to the Premiership? on 09:58 - May 20 with 1500 viewstextbackup

My pre season prediction is that Taylor will be a huge player for us next season.

Has the build of a premier league midfielder, athletic, and technically very good. With a hell of a shot on him

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Posh revenue incoming for Taylor. Can the midfielder step up to the Premiership? on 10:03 - May 20 with 1450 viewstextbackup

Posh revenue incoming for Taylor. Can the midfielder step up to the Premiership? on 09:34 - May 20 by ArchiRob

BROADHEAD?
And yes I am shouting

As in you think he should be in the team?

The second half of the season he was probably the most disappointing player IMO, anonymous for long periods of games. I think he’s got to step up a lot to be remotely close to starting.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Posh revenue incoming for Taylor. Can the midfielder step up to the Premiership? on 10:19 - May 20 with 1358 viewsWeWereZombies

Posh revenue incoming for Taylor. Can the midfielder step up to the Premiership? on 06:29 - May 20 by hoppy

Part of Luongo finding another gear was his stepping back from International football too, unless we sign a couple of better midfielders I can see Taylor being the starting option (in early season at least.)

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Posh revenue incoming for Taylor. Can the midfielder step up to the Premiership? on 10:22 - May 20 with 1340 views_clive_baker_

Posh revenue incoming for Taylor. Can the midfielder step up to the Premiership? on 09:34 - May 20 by ArchiRob

BROADHEAD?
And yes I am shouting

And you may well shout. I'm a big Broady fan. A bit underrated IMO, such a good player, skillful, 2 good feet, can finish, deceptively good in the air.

Joint top scorer with Chaplin despite starting 13 less games. Was a bit patchy, and agree he seemed to fade a little bit towards the end but that's probably true of Chaplin too, and in Broady's defence he scored 2 in the equivalent of 2 games against Sheff Wed, Blackburn and Southampton. That was a massive goal against the Saints as well. Like most of the squad looked pretty cooked in that 3 game week of Norwich, Watford, Boro. Then only played an hour of the final 3 games. For all the talk of poor form we're talking a handful of games which were largely in a hectic schedule with Wales duty thrown in for good measure.

On balance a really good season from him, got us going with our first goal of the season, scored and assisted some big ones thereafter. Classy little player, good age, good pedigree.
Posh revenue incoming for Taylor. Can the midfielder step up to the Premiership? on 10:37 - May 20 with 1260 viewsDinDjarin

Absolute tosh.
Posh revenue incoming for Taylor. Can the midfielder step up to the Premiership? on 10:40 - May 20 with 1237 viewsDinDjarin

Posh revenue incoming for Taylor. Can the midfielder step up to the Premiership? on 09:58 - May 20 by textbackup

My pre season prediction is that Taylor will be a huge player for us next season.

Has the build of a premier league midfielder, athletic, and technically very good. With a hell of a shot on him

Taylor is the more likely of any of our current midfielders to make the step up.
Hmmmmm on 11:48 - May 20 with 1018 viewsunstableblue

BROADHEAD?
And yes I am shouting

I had to go back to my other thread to check, but I put Broadhead in as LAM, with a new player ahead of him!

Maybe Sarmiento who is returning.

I LOVE Broadhead.. but he had a relatively (by his high standards) poor second half to the season.

I do agree that he can make the step up to Premier League, and perhaps needs a reast/pre-season. He may suit the space and pace of the Premier League. As may Taylor.

Posh revenue incoming for Taylor. Can the midfielder step up to the Premiership? on 11:54 - May 20 with 984 viewsburnbudgiesburn

I thought he did ok last season and nothing more than ok. Certainly played his part for us.

I wasn't wowed though if i'm being honest, felt his ball retention was average at times. But he seemed to be asked to play a position that wasn't really his - he just isn't a Morsy or a Luongo replacement.

I've seen several people say we might play a 3 in midfield next season, which would definitely suit him more as the advanced player.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024