Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is it fair to say we've found Grant Ward's best position? 10:07 - Feb 20 with 2251 viewsSomethingBlue

When he signed I remember thinking he looked best in a central three, but obviously we didn't set up that way. Thought he did fine for us out wide in a four, some good games, but lacks that little bit of guile and sometimes seemed a bit restricted out wide. I've only seen bits and pieces of our last few games but the current setup seems ideal for him — he looks a very good "shuttling" player to me, gets about the pitch and can raise our tempo pretty early. Any thoughts?

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Is it fair to say we've found Grant Ward's best position? on 10:12 - Feb 20 with 2216 viewsRadlett_blue

Mick has generally been a 4-4-2 man for most of his managerial career, but for that to work well, you need decent wide midfield players who offer an attacking threat but who also can get back & defend. For whatever, reason, Mick has struggled to find that type of player - we've had multiple failures of younger, promising wingers & so have ended up with players like Sears shoe-horned into that position. I also think a 3-5-2 suits players like Chambers & Knudsen, although that system needs very dynamic wing backs. We do seems to be developing some promise in that area so given our personnel, I think 3-5-2 should be the default formation. Mick, however, seems to love matching the opposition set up so we will see.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Is it fair to say we've found Grant Ward's best position? on 10:15 - Feb 20 with 2199 viewsGuthrum

I still maintain that he ended up wide due to the lack of other options on the wing, rather than because it was necessarily thought to be his best position. Now that issue is sorted, he's free to be used in his preferred role. Same true of Lawrence on the other side, whose real flowering has come with a more central position, but further forward.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Is it fair to say we've found Grant Ward's best position? on 10:21 - Feb 20 with 2155 viewsReuser_is_God

Yeah, so much better in the middle.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Is it fair to say we've found Grant Ward's best position? on 10:29 - Feb 20 with 2144 viewshoppy

Spoke to him after the game, and I asked him if he was enjoying it more in the middle, and he said he was, as that's his natural position...

As Guthrum has said already, I think it was out of necessity he'd been playing out wide, not necessarily through choice, or Mick thinking he's better out there.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Is it fair to say we've found Grant Ward's best position? on 10:39 - Feb 20 with 2087 viewschicoazul

Is it fair to say we've found Grant Ward's best position? on 10:29 - Feb 20 by hoppy

Spoke to him after the game, and I asked him if he was enjoying it more in the middle, and he said he was, as that's his natural position...

As Guthrum has said already, I think it was out of necessity he'd been playing out wide, not necessarily through choice, or Mick thinking he's better out there.

Every player prefers to be in the middle. They become full backs or wingers or whatever cos its forced on them.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Is it fair to say we've found Grant Ward's best position? on 10:48 - Feb 20 with 2058 viewsClausThomsen

He played there for Rotherham before, and also scored his debut hattrick from there.

But he was the only player in our squad who could play right midfield when the season started... I don't know who's fault that is, but I've been assured that it's definitely not MM's.

He could have played there instead of Douglas for all those games. In fact, we could have been playing 352 since the season started...

That isn't MM's fault either - it's probably Milne's.
Is it fair to say we've found Grant Ward's best position? on 10:51 - Feb 20 with 2024 viewsBluebell

Is it fair to say we've found Grant Ward's best position? on 10:48 - Feb 20 by ClausThomsen

He played there for Rotherham before, and also scored his debut hattrick from there.

But he was the only player in our squad who could play right midfield when the season started... I don't know who's fault that is, but I've been assured that it's definitely not MM's.

He could have played there instead of Douglas for all those games. In fact, we could have been playing 352 since the season started...

But he is stealing Bishop's place in the team Claus.

I assume you are not happy with that.
Yeah, too right love.... on 10:53 - Feb 20 with 2003 viewsBloots

Is it fair to say we've found Grant Ward's best position? on 10:48 - Feb 20 by ClausThomsen

....plus it's Mick's fault we aren't in the 3rd division.

The b*stard.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Login to get fewer ads

Is it fair to say we've found Grant Ward's best position? on 10:56 - Feb 20 with 1984 viewsblueblood66

Mick was playing him out of position anyway, so by default Mick has got it 'right'. Ward said in his recent presser that he played central for Spurs
Is it fair to say we've found Grant Ward's best position? on 11:04 - Feb 20 with 1924 viewsKieran_Knows

Have a day off.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Yeah, too right love.... on 11:18 - Feb 20 with 1872 viewsClausThomsen

Yeah, too right love.... on 10:53 - Feb 20 by Bloots

....plus it's Mick's fault we aren't in the 3rd division.

The b*stard.

We could have been in the third division in 2013/14 true, but it's 2017 now.

Mick got a million quid for that, it's too late to be dining out on that one.

Evans should have sacked Jewell long before we were bottom of the league anyway. If only he knew when to pull the trigger...
Is it fair to say we've found Grant Ward's best position? on 11:26 - Feb 20 with 1840 viewscruncher

Maybe McCarthy allowing the players to play with a bit more freedom has helped all our players I thought Bera played his best game for months Saturday.
OK sweetcheeks. (n/t) on 11:28 - Feb 20 with 1820 viewsBloots

Yeah, too right love.... on 11:18 - Feb 20 by ClausThomsen

We could have been in the third division in 2013/14 true, but it's 2017 now.

Mick got a million quid for that, it's too late to be dining out on that one.

Evans should have sacked Jewell long before we were bottom of the league anyway. If only he knew when to pull the trigger...

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Is it fair to say we've found Grant Ward's best position? on 11:40 - Feb 20 with 1753 viewshoppy

Is it fair to say we've found Grant Ward's best position? on 11:26 - Feb 20 by cruncher

Maybe McCarthy allowing the players to play with a bit more freedom has helped all our players I thought Bera played his best game for months Saturday.

I wonder if he's let Chris Wood out of his pocket to go home yet?

Is it fair to say we've found Grant Ward's best position? on 11:42 - Feb 20 with 1729 viewscruncher

Is it fair to say we've found Grant Ward's best position? on 11:40 - Feb 20 by hoppy

I wonder if he's let Chris Wood out of his pocket to go home yet?

Yep he had a great game Bera which of late makes a change long may it continue.
Is it fair to say we've found Grant Ward's best position? on 11:44 - Feb 20 with 1707 viewshoppy

Is it fair to say we've found Grant Ward's best position? on 11:42 - Feb 20 by cruncher

Yep he had a great game Bera which of late makes a change long may it continue.

Indeed. Thought Berra looked more comfortable in that position, and with that personnel alongside him, it worked well.

Is it fair to say we've found Grant Ward's best position? on 11:48 - Feb 20 with 1652 viewsGarv

Is it fair to say we've found Grant Ward's best position? on 10:15 - Feb 20 by Guthrum

I still maintain that he ended up wide due to the lack of other options on the wing, rather than because it was necessarily thought to be his best position. Now that issue is sorted, he's free to be used in his preferred role. Same true of Lawrence on the other side, whose real flowering has come with a more central position, but further forward.

So we still have no proper wide players?

Rowe, I guess?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Is it fair to say we've found Grant Ward's best position? on 12:31 - Feb 20 with 1556 viewsGuthrum

Is it fair to say we've found Grant Ward's best position? on 11:48 - Feb 20 by Garv

So we still have no proper wide players?

Rowe, I guess?

Rowe as a pure winger (tho he hasn't been tried yet). However, now that Kenlock and Emmanuel have stepped up, plus the acquisition of Spence, we have effective attacking fullbacks who can fulfil the role of getting forward with pace out wide.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024