Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Feeling depressed....just finished 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy 20:54 - Jan 10 with 1192 viewsWarkystache

Bleak, desperate and utterly melancholic.

And he's not signed Tyrone Mings....

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

Feeling depressed....just finished 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy on 20:56 - Jan 10 with 1163 viewsVic

Know what you mean about the book. Hauntingly irresistible.

The film though? Never watch the film after reading the book, it is utter dross and spoils all the images you've conjured in your mind as you read the book. (But it's the same with every film isn't it really!)

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Feeling depressed....just finished 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy on 20:57 - Jan 10 with 1155 viewsBlueNote

Brilliant book. I read it over 2 days last week. One of my favourite authors .
Feeling depressed....just finished 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy on 20:59 - Jan 10 with 1144 viewsWarkystache

Feeling depressed....just finished 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy on 20:56 - Jan 10 by Vic

The film though? Never watch the film after reading the book, it is utter dross and spoils all the images you've conjured in your mind as you read the book. (But it's the same with every film isn't it really!)

Read it in 2 days. I've read The Border Trilogy by him and No Country For Old Men and Blood Meridian, which was superb and esoteric in equal measures.

But The Road is haunting. Enjoyed it thoroughly.

Feeling depressed....just finished 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy on 21:02 - Jan 10 with 1133 viewsWarkystache

Feeling depressed....just finished 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy on 20:59 - Jan 10 by Warkystache

Read it in 2 days. I've read The Border Trilogy by him and No Country For Old Men and Blood Meridian, which was superb and esoteric in equal measures.

By the By, Vic and Bluenote, what was the disaster that happened? Nuclear war? It was odd how the father character never saw it coming through media (I suppose, as the book was written in the mid 1990's, it was set around that time?)

Feeling depressed....just finished 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy on 21:04 - Jan 10 with 1120 viewsBlueNote

Feeling depressed....just finished 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy on 20:59 - Jan 10 by Warkystache

Really gripping. I don't imagine the film did it justice.

Someone's just given me Outer Dark to read as well
Feeling depressed....just finished 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy on 21:06 - Jan 10 with 1114 viewsBlueNote

Feeling depressed....just finished 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy on 21:02 - Jan 10 by Warkystache

By the By, Vic and Bluenote, what was the disaster that happened? Nuclear war? It was odd how the father character never saw it coming through media (I suppose, as the book was written in the mid 1990's, it was set around that time?)

You assume it's a nuclear war
Feeling depressed....just finished 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy on 21:08 - Jan 10 with 1102 viewsfactual_blue

Feeling depressed....just finished 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy on 21:06 - Jan 10 by BlueNote

So something that's going to happen by 2039 then?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Feeling depressed....just finished 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy on 21:08 - Jan 10 with 1094 viewsWarkystache

Feeling depressed....just finished 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy on 21:04 - Jan 10 by BlueNote

Really gripping. I don't imagine the film did it justice.

Someone's just given me Outer Dark to read as well

I loved Outer Dark. Bit gruesome in places, but the character of the tinker is superbly written. It's more a parable about 'He who thinks evil'. I won't spoil it though!

Login to get fewer ads

Feeling depressed....just finished 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy on 21:09 - Jan 10 with 1091 viewsBlueNote

Feeling depressed....just finished 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy on 20:56 - Jan 10 by Vic

I would say this isn't true of One Flew over The Cuckoos Nest. The Book and film are both equally brilliant. The book is from the perspective of the Indian, whereas McMurphy is the main prataganist in the film
Feeling depressed....just finished 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy on 21:11 - Jan 10 with 1075 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Googled it... Sounds interesting. Will have to add it to the list.

@veterans_project on Instagram. Please follow the page.
Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Feeling depressed....just finished 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy on 21:12 - Jan 10 with 1073 viewshoppy

So you're glad you've reached the end of The Road with McCarthy?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Feeling depressed....just finished 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy on 21:13 - Jan 10 with 1066 viewsWarkystache

Feeling depressed....just finished 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy on 21:09 - Jan 10 by BlueNote

I would say this isn't true of One Flew over The Cuckoos Nest. The Book and film are both equally brilliant. The book is from the perspective of the Indian, whereas McMurphy is the main prataganist in the film

Ever read the Rabbit Angstrom series of books by John Updike? Rabbit Run, Redux, is Rich and At Rest are all a brilliant series of books.

Feeling depressed....just finished 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy on 21:17 - Jan 10 with 1044 viewsBlueNote

Feeling depressed....just finished 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy on 21:13 - Jan 10 by Warkystache

Ever read the Rabbit Angstrom series of books by John Updike? Rabbit Run, Redux, is Rich and At Rest are all a brilliant series of books.

No I haven't I'll check it out. Cheers
Feeling depressed....just finished 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy on 21:25 - Jan 10 with 1003 viewsVic

Feeling depressed....just finished 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy on 21:06 - Jan 10 by BlueNote

That was my assumption too.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Feeling depressed....just finished 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy on 21:57 - Jan 10 with 959 viewsLombokblue

The old bloke they meet then abandon has typhoid . That's just my theory
Feeling depressed....just finished 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy on 22:00 - Jan 10 with 950 viewsDubtractor

I actually liked the film. Not as good as the book, but well done I thought.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Feeling depressed....just finished 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy on 22:04 - Jan 10 with 931 viewsnodge_blue

It was a book that you had to almost read fast as to linger on the implications of their situation was too painful. Beautifully written. The ending could have been worse in terms of outcome...you could even say it had a happy ending?

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Feeling depressed....just finished 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy on 22:16 - Jan 10 with 892 viewsRadlett_blue

In principle, I agree with you that watching a film after you have read the book is usually a big let down. I watched The Road, not having read the book, & thought it superb.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Feeling depressed....just finished 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy on 23:16 - Jan 10 with 821 viewsjeera

Feeling depressed....just finished 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy on 21:08 - Jan 10 by factual_blue

So something that's going to happen by 2039 then?

Relegation, followed by all out war and mass suicide?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024