Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why does this not work? 12:56 - Mar 17 with 959 viewsRealSlimShady

Im no economist or finance expert so dont shoot me down! but I have often thought is it really not viable to charge a price similar to Huddersfield's season ticket structure for Ipswich?

Surely a full stadium of people paying say £200ish for a ST is better than a less than half full stadium paying £400 etc. It would cause a great atmosphere and really spur the team on plus more people in the stadium would mean more food and drink, programme and merchandise sales so surely they would get the money back?

I guess chairmen up and down the country look at and work out similar plans and they just simply dont work and could end up losing money.
Why does this not work? on 13:00 - Mar 17 with 929 viewsJ2BLUE

I think Milne has come out and said that prices are set to get maximum cash from diehards because they don't believe enough people would buy tickets if they reduced prices.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Why does this not work? on 13:00 - Mar 17 with 922 viewsGogs

The club would go on about the increased staffing/security/police costs etc. It's all a load of crap though because as you say increased merchandise etc. sales would likely cover all of it and then some. They could do something if they really thought about it and they wanted to. Trouble is they haven't thought about it and neither do they want to.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2017 13:01]
Why does this not work? on 13:02 - Mar 17 with 889 viewsSwansea_Blue

Great in principle, but I don't think you'd fill up the stadium unless we were pushing for promotion.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Why does this not work? on 13:03 - Mar 17 with 878 viewsDoobDude

Why does this not work? on 13:00 - Mar 17 by J2BLUE

I think Milne has come out and said that prices are set to get maximum cash from diehards because they don't believe enough people would buy tickets if they reduced prices.

Wow has he said that!
I didn't think he would actually admit the truth.
What a sad and sorry club we are!

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? What do you mean? An African or European swallow? Huh? I... I don't know that ... Auuuuuuuugh.
Poll: Whi is getting sold to fund the Webster Signing

Why does this not work? on 13:05 - Mar 17 with 864 viewsPhilTWTD

It cost Huddersfield a million quid which otherwise would have gone into their playing budget, so you can see why other clubs might be reluctant to follow their approach. They had a slightly different situation to us in that their crowds have been traditionally lower and they needed to boost them within a very competitive region, Leeds, Bradford offer even cheaper tickets, plenty of other clubs not too far away as well.
Why does this not work? on 13:06 - Mar 17 with 851 viewsGuthrum

Because Huddersfield's pricing structure is a deliberate subsidisation by the owner. It's not a viable, sustainable economic model and is said to be costing the club around £2m.

He's also put a fair bit of money into the squad and is, essentially, rolling the dice on a promotion push. Which is currently working.

I doubt we'd fill PR even at £200 without the other bit of the equation, improvements on the pitch.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Why does this not work? on 13:38 - Mar 17 with 766 viewsIllinoisblue

Why does this not work? on 13:05 - Mar 17 by PhilTWTD

It cost Huddersfield a million quid which otherwise would have gone into their playing budget, so you can see why other clubs might be reluctant to follow their approach. They had a slightly different situation to us in that their crowds have been traditionally lower and they needed to boost them within a very competitive region, Leeds, Bradford offer even cheaper tickets, plenty of other clubs not too far away as well.

it may have cost them a million (sounds like a convenient number tbh!) but what has it gained them in goodwill and positive buzz and excitement?
[Post edited 17 Mar 2017 13:38]

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Why does this not work? on 13:59 - Mar 17 with 710 viewsSWGF

Why does this not work? on 13:38 - Mar 17 by Illinoisblue

it may have cost them a million (sounds like a convenient number tbh!) but what has it gained them in goodwill and positive buzz and excitement?
[Post edited 17 Mar 2017 13:38]

Simplistically, didn't they use their additional TV money that all clubs received last season to assist with the cost of STs?

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Login to get fewer ads

Why does this not work? on 14:12 - Mar 17 with 680 viewsPhilTWTD

Why does this not work? on 13:59 - Mar 17 by SWGF

Simplistically, didn't they use their additional TV money that all clubs received last season to assist with the cost of STs?

Yes, half of it, if memory serves. I agree with Illy, has certainly helped with PR and creating a buzz. Obviously their form on the field has been very good this season - on a budget lower than ours, I would guess, although I'm told they're paying big money for some of their loanees - but I wonder if their hardcore would have been overly impressed that they had reduced their budget by a million in that manner had they had a tricky season or gone down, which I assume might be part of what puts other clubs off taking that approach.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024