Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK 08:29 - Jun 12 with 21424 viewsfeelingblue

I pretty much agree with every word.

http://www.nybooks.com/daily/2017/06/10/britain-the-end-of-a-fantasy/
Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 08:33 - Jun 12 with 8372 viewsBlueBadger

*starts the 'balls' clock*

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 08:46 - Jun 12 with 8340 viewsBackToRussia

Good stuff cheers.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 08:56 - Jun 12 with 8333 viewsgordon

Good article that. For me it all stems from the fact that none of the details of what a 'leave' vote would look like were specified before the vote. So since the referendum we've had endless different guesses from politicians about what the decision meant and what the will of the people was and is. This is only the beginning of the chaos. I think we'll get through a few Governments/Prime Ministers in the next few years.
Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 08:59 - Jun 12 with 8326 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Brexit wasn't an election issue. The youth and BAME vote swung the election and their issues are tuition fees, NHS funding and identity politics.

Any competent party will take advantage of this in future
Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:01 - Jun 12 with 8317 viewsFreddies_Ears

"The people" are split, almost 50/50, so there can be no chance of consensus, whether on Brexit or domestic political issues.

The popular vote was just a wee bit higher for the progressives, but the parliamentary balance is just a wee bit tilted to the right. But neither has any legitimate mandate to impose their will on the other half. And any re-vote could easily tip the other way.

If it weren't for the urgency, the complexity and overriding importance of Brexit, we could smile inwardly about the contradictions of Britishness. We'd keep calm and carry on, hoping the rest of the world wouldn't notice that we have made ourselves utterly ungovernable.
Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:07 - Jun 12 with 8301 viewslowhouseblue

"Brexit is an elite project dressed up in rough attire. When its Oxbridge-educated champions coined the appealing slogan “Take back control,” they cleverly neglected to add that they really meant control by and for the elite."

that bit is nonsense. how the leavers voted in the general election shows that that they have no coherent view on what brexit was supposed to mean or what it was expected to involve. that reinforces the view that brexit was simply a protest vote - leavers had suffered from austerity and stagnation and they badly wanted to kick something - the eu was the thing they kicked. it wasn't an 'elite project'. 'oxbridge' voted against it more strongly than anyone.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:09 - Jun 12 with 8302 viewshomer_123

Doesn't get off to the best of starts though, does it.

"To understand the sensational outcome of the British election, one must ask a basic question. "

I cannot fathom how anyone was 'surprised' at that election result, in any way whatsoever. It's neither exceptional, sensational, surprising or anything else.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:11 - Jun 12 with 8288 viewsFreddies_Ears

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:07 - Jun 12 by lowhouseblue

"Brexit is an elite project dressed up in rough attire. When its Oxbridge-educated champions coined the appealing slogan “Take back control,” they cleverly neglected to add that they really meant control by and for the elite."

that bit is nonsense. how the leavers voted in the general election shows that that they have no coherent view on what brexit was supposed to mean or what it was expected to involve. that reinforces the view that brexit was simply a protest vote - leavers had suffered from austerity and stagnation and they badly wanted to kick something - the eu was the thing they kicked. it wasn't an 'elite project'. 'oxbridge' voted against it more strongly than anyone.

Cambridge was one of the highest remain votes, so try again.
Login to get fewer ads

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:16 - Jun 12 with 8289 viewsSteve_M

"And the answer is that the Brits want what they can’t possibly have. They want everything to change and everything to go as before."

Which is why, even now, both Labour and Tories, for their separate ideological reasons, continue to deny there is any choice between ending free movement and remaining in the single market. All scared that if the public realises that there are costs, which in the short-term at least will be significant, then public opinion will change.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:19 - Jun 12 with 8264 viewscaught-in-limbo

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 08:56 - Jun 12 by gordon

Good article that. For me it all stems from the fact that none of the details of what a 'leave' vote would look like were specified before the vote. So since the referendum we've had endless different guesses from politicians about what the decision meant and what the will of the people was and is. This is only the beginning of the chaos. I think we'll get through a few Governments/Prime Ministers in the next few years.

Chaos.

Chaos will be the word of the year.

Chaos will be rammed down out throats by our politicians and media.

There'll be terrorists causing chaos on our streets.

Chaos caused by civil unrest.

Chaos over Brexit.

Chaos in our parliament.

Chaos everywhere.

And while chaos engulfs us, there's a very real possibility that we'll end up with a government of national unity to prevent a "Coalition of Chaos".

All brought to us courtesy of our strong and stable government.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2017 9:38]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:20 - Jun 12 with 8256 viewslowhouseblue

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:11 - Jun 12 by Freddies_Ears

Cambridge was one of the highest remain votes, so try again.

yes that's what i said - 'oxbridge' voted against brexit. so try again.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2017 9:21]

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:31 - Jun 12 with 8234 viewsDarth_Koont

Yep. A brutal assessment but that's the reality when we strip away all the political rhetoric and posturing.

Pronouns: He/Him

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:34 - Jun 12 with 8223 viewsDarth_Koont

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:09 - Jun 12 by homer_123

Doesn't get off to the best of starts though, does it.

"To understand the sensational outcome of the British election, one must ask a basic question. "

I cannot fathom how anyone was 'surprised' at that election result, in any way whatsoever. It's neither exceptional, sensational, surprising or anything else.

Really? I'm not surprised why people voted the way they did, but I am surprised they went against the orthodox narrative and actually did vote that way.

The result itself was a shock.

Pronouns: He/Him

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:41 - Jun 12 with 8210 viewsfactual_blue

Yep. People were tricked by stupid slogans to vote leave by an obscene coalition of self-serving tories determined to 'save' their party and a handful of non-resident press barons interested only in selling newspapers.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:42 - Jun 12 with 8203 viewsfactual_blue

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 08:33 - Jun 12 by BlueBadger

*starts the 'balls' clock*

Too many long words for that to kick in.

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:49 - Jun 12 with 8177 viewscaught-in-limbo

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:34 - Jun 12 by Darth_Koont

Really? I'm not surprised why people voted the way they did, but I am surprised they went against the orthodox narrative and actually did vote that way.

The result itself was a shock.

It's interesting, isn't it?

Is this a victory for new media over old media or a loss for old media over new media?

Is this yet another dastardly example of Russian subversion?

Is the BBC losing its ability to mould public opinion like it used to?

Or are an increasingly significant number of people fed up with the current government and voted the unelectable terrorist appeasing, antisemite condoning Corbyn.

#toxic

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:52 - Jun 12 with 8174 viewscaught-in-limbo

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:41 - Jun 12 by factual_blue

Yep. People were tricked by stupid slogans to vote leave by an obscene coalition of self-serving tories determined to 'save' their party and a handful of non-resident press barons interested only in selling newspapers.

I'm still trying to work out Murdoch's motives for pushing Brexit. I don't think it's about newspaper sales - there's not much money in that. Any thoughts?

#toxic

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:53 - Jun 12 with 8178 viewsmanchego

Now that people are slowly getting a clue about what brexit means, do you think we could have a referendum on it ?
Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:56 - Jun 12 with 8149 viewsBlueBadger

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:42 - Jun 12 by factual_blue

Too many long words for that to kick in.

Ah yes, but using long words is a sign of Liberal Elitism.

See also: reading books without pictures, knowing how to actually use the English language, having qualifications, etc

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:57 - Jun 12 with 8142 viewsblue_oyster

It's certainly a political mess, demonstrating the fact that referendums are not part of the British constitution. But the contempt for democratic vote in the article is all too clear.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:57 - Jun 12 with 8144 viewsStokieBlue

Some good analysis of the Brexit points in that article. It's been a total screw-up. May has been awful, continues to be awful and will be awful until she is pushed out.

"But what do you do when your crowd-pleasing applause lines have to become public policy? "

Surely this could have been applied to Corbyn's manifesto as well as May's nonsense one-liners?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 10:01 - Jun 12 with 8121 viewsBlueBadger

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:57 - Jun 12 by blue_oyster

It's certainly a political mess, demonstrating the fact that referendums are not part of the British constitution. But the contempt for democratic vote in the article is all too clear.

Ah the classic 'if you disagree with stupid decisions then you hate democracy' fallacy.

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 10:29 - Jun 12 with 8068 viewsdryas

Good find.
Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 10:33 - Jun 12 with 8061 viewsfactual_blue

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:56 - Jun 12 by BlueBadger

Ah yes, but using long words is a sign of Liberal Elitism.

See also: reading books without pictures, knowing how to actually use the English language, having qualifications, etc

People who say 'balls' all the time almost certainly have cryptorchidism.

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 10:34 - Jun 12 with 8054 viewscaught-in-limbo

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 10:01 - Jun 12 by BlueBadger

Ah the classic 'if you disagree with stupid decisions then you hate democracy' fallacy.

It was a stupid decision to rest Brexit on a majority vote.

Two Tory politicians cut from the same cloth (Cameron and Johnson) headed opposing campaigns and the media turned the whole charade into a debate largely about immigration.

Britain's media and particularly the BBC are culpable. They were largely mouthpieces for the politicians many of us have lost faith in.

There was no intelligent investigative journalism exposing Brexit for the cheap scam it was or any real effort to understand the consequences of a Brexit vote.

I don't blame people for voting the way they did. Most people are too busy to independently analyse the intricacies of extracating a country from a body like the EU. They rely on (and indeed should rely on) a competent, impartial national broadcaster. British people pay handsomely for such a service but were let down.

I'm dismayed that so many people continue to rely on the BBC for quality investigative journalism. Perhaps the rise in popularity for Jeremy Corbyn's Labour party is a sign that maybe things are changing for the better.

#toxic

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024