Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK 08:29 - Jun 12 with 21485 viewsfeelingblue

I pretty much agree with every word.

http://www.nybooks.com/daily/2017/06/10/britain-the-end-of-a-fantasy/
Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 20:39 - Jun 12 with 3823 viewsblue_oyster

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 20:28 - Jun 12 by caught-in-limbo

Which words?

There's only one reason why you demean the people who voted, and that's because it isn't the result that you wanted.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 20:48 - Jun 12 with 3815 viewsvapour_trail

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 20:24 - Jun 12 by blue_oyster

The Times, Mail on Sunday, Guardian, Mirror, Independent, Financial Times, Observer all remain, and broadcast media almost completely remain. Tellingly nearly all opinion polls, which are 'weighted', showed remain on top.

Incorrect re times and MoS.

Sun, sun on Sunday, star, express, Sunday express, mail, telegraph, Sunday telegraph, Sunday times.

Broadcast media - you are a funny man blue oyster.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 20:50 - Jun 12 with 3812 viewscaught-in-limbo

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 20:39 - Jun 12 by blue_oyster

There's only one reason why you demean the people who voted, and that's because it isn't the result that you wanted.

But it is what I wanted. It's still what I want. I want the UK out. I want the EU as it is to collapse as a result.

That said, all along I've said it's not going to happen. I don't believe any government would give the people that much power. Our government is not that generous.

I'm not saying anything new here. Either you didn't understand it the first few times I said it, or you're being obtuse now because you don't like me being right.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 22:04 - Jun 12 with 3784 viewsblue_oyster

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 20:48 - Jun 12 by vapour_trail

Incorrect re times and MoS.

Sun, sun on Sunday, star, express, Sunday express, mail, telegraph, Sunday telegraph, Sunday times.

Broadcast media - you are a funny man blue oyster.

The Sunday Times was leave, but Times remain. Daily Mail and MoS split also, which confused many people who think they're the same paper.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 22:10 - Jun 12 with 3774 viewslowhouseblue

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 20:28 - Jun 12 by caught-in-limbo

My posts were not so much strongly pro Brexit, rather strongly pro the break up of the EU which has Spain over a barrel. I saw Britain leaving the EU as a means to the whole thing collapsing. I still stand by that.

On top of that, I have always said that the whole Brexit affair was a ridiculous - I explained that at the time giving numerous and repeated reasons, and it is for that reason why I've maintained for over a year now that it cannot happen, and won't happen.

I understand that for the neanderthals out there such views are not congruent, but I've clearly stated these two views from the beginning and the non-neanderthals understand it.

you've gone from pro-brexit - for example, the thread i linked earlier - to this today:

"There was no intelligent investigative journalism exposing Brexit for the cheap scam it was or any real effort to understand the consequences of a Brexit vote. I don't blame people for voting the way they did. Most people are too busy to independently analyse the intricacies of extracating a country from a body like the EU. "

utterly inconsistent.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 22:12 - Jun 12 with 3770 viewsSwansea_Blue

John Oliver provides his usual melodramatic but rather amusing summary of the last few days here:

Scuse the swirly stuff in the background, it's the only video of the show I could find

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 01:54 - Jun 13 with 3740 viewscaught-in-limbo

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 22:10 - Jun 12 by lowhouseblue

you've gone from pro-brexit - for example, the thread i linked earlier - to this today:

"There was no intelligent investigative journalism exposing Brexit for the cheap scam it was or any real effort to understand the consequences of a Brexit vote. I don't blame people for voting the way they did. Most people are too busy to independently analyse the intricacies of extracating a country from a body like the EU. "

utterly inconsistent.

No, quite the opposite. I don't understand why you're having such a hard time understanding this.

It was a cheap scam to offer the people Brexit because the consequences of it for people living in Britain were such that it was never really going to happen - as I have insisted from the very beginning. But, as I've said time and again, I would have voted for it because it would mean the collapse of the EU as it is now, which, living in Spain, has always been what I wanted.

I realise what you're doing here. You're manufacturing inconsistencies in my opinions rather than address the obvious: the BBC were unable to explain / reveal what was going to happen following a leave vote - something which was was obvious to me and now increasingly obvious to many others.

#toxic

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 05:10 - Jun 13 with 3727 viewsWeWereZombies

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:07 - Jun 12 by lowhouseblue

"Brexit is an elite project dressed up in rough attire. When its Oxbridge-educated champions coined the appealing slogan “Take back control,” they cleverly neglected to add that they really meant control by and for the elite."

that bit is nonsense. how the leavers voted in the general election shows that that they have no coherent view on what brexit was supposed to mean or what it was expected to involve. that reinforces the view that brexit was simply a protest vote - leavers had suffered from austerity and stagnation and they badly wanted to kick something - the eu was the thing they kicked. it wasn't an 'elite project'. 'oxbridge' voted against it more strongly than anyone.

Think you are confusing people who live in Cambridge and Oxford with people who went to university in those cities and moved elsewhere afterwards.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Login to get fewer ads

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 05:50 - Jun 13 with 3716 viewscaught-in-limbo

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 05:10 - Jun 13 by WeWereZombies

Think you are confusing people who live in Cambridge and Oxford with people who went to university in those cities and moved elsewhere afterwards.

I doubt Lowhouse is confused, higher education in Britain is one of his areas of great knowledge.

"you really don't know anything about higher education do you."

source: Lowhouse
This election is thoroughly depressing by lowhouseblue 7 Jun 2017 23:01
you really don't know anything about higher education do you.

[Post edited 13 Jun 2017 5:51]

#toxic

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 08:12 - Jun 13 with 3695 viewsGlasgowBlue

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 20:00 - Jun 12 by vapour_trail

The majority of the print media campaigned for leave.

British newspapers and magazines endorsing Remain

* Belfast Telegraph[191]
* Birmingham Mail[192]
* British Medical Journal[193]
* Daily Mirror[194]
* Daily Record[195]
* Farmers Weekly[196]
* Financial Times[197]
* The Economist[198]
* The Guardian[199]
* The Herald[200]
* The Independent[201]
* The Irish News[202]
* The Journal[203]
* The Lancet[204][205]
* Liverpool Echo[206]
* London Evening Standard[207]
* The Mail on Sunday[208]
* Manchester Evening News[209]
* The National[210]
* Nature[211]
* New Statesman[212]
* The Observer[213]
* The Scotsman[214]
* Sunday Herald[215]
* Sunday Mail[216]
* Sunday Mirror[217]
* Sunday People[218]
* The Times[219]
* The Voice[220]
* Western Mail[221]

British newspapers and magazines endorsing Leave

* Daily Express[540]
* Daily Mail[541][542][543]
* The Daily Telegraph[544]
* MoneyWeek[545]
* Morning Star, also backed a No vote in the 1975 referendum.[546][547]
* The News Letter[548]
* The Spectator, also backed a No vote in the 1975 referendum.[549]
* Spiked[550]
* The Sun[551][552]
* The Sun on Sunday[553]
* Sunday Express[554]
* Sunday Sport[555]
* The Sunday Telegraph[556]
* The Sunday Times[557]

Source Wiki.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:08 - Jun 13 with 3678 viewslowhouseblue

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 05:10 - Jun 13 by WeWereZombies

no confusion. those cities have very high proportions of people who work in or were at those universities. the social demographic of those cities is quite different from most of the rest of the uk. the oxbridge diaspora was overwhelmingly remain - in part because they tend, like much of higher education, to be socially liberal and geographically mobile, and in part because with higher incomes they tend to be a group who benefit from globalisation.

you clearly don't know much about the social character of the cities of oxford or cambridge.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2017 9:12]

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:11 - Jun 13 with 3673 viewslowhouseblue

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 05:50 - Jun 13 by caught-in-limbo

I doubt Lowhouse is confused, higher education in Britain is one of his areas of great knowledge.

"you really don't know anything about higher education do you."

source: Lowhouse
This election is thoroughly depressing by lowhouseblue 7 Jun 2017 23:01
you really don't know anything about higher education do you.

[Post edited 13 Jun 2017 5:51]

in response to your comment in that thread "Exactly, the political/social/economic leanings of the lecturers were probably identical to that their paymasters." I am very happy to repeat that you really don't know anything at all about higher education.

I know you can only reason in terms of people doing things because they're being controlled by 'paymasters', but in higher education that's an even thicker and more blinkered view than it is in most other situations.

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:21 - Jun 13 with 3660 viewslowhouseblue

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 01:54 - Jun 13 by caught-in-limbo

No, quite the opposite. I don't understand why you're having such a hard time understanding this.

It was a cheap scam to offer the people Brexit because the consequences of it for people living in Britain were such that it was never really going to happen - as I have insisted from the very beginning. But, as I've said time and again, I would have voted for it because it would mean the collapse of the EU as it is now, which, living in Spain, has always been what I wanted.

I realise what you're doing here. You're manufacturing inconsistencies in my opinions rather than address the obvious: the BBC were unable to explain / reveal what was going to happen following a leave vote - something which was was obvious to me and now increasingly obvious to many others.

so you were supporting a 'cheap scam' in order to destroy the eu, but it was a cheap scam because the 'consequences of it for people living in Britain were such that it was never really going to happen'. so it was never going to happen and it also was going to destroy the eu. ok then.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2017 9:28]

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:28 - Jun 13 with 3650 viewsVic

All well and good - except that despite Mays intentions Brexit wasn't really an issue in the election. Her initial intention was lost by her hopeless manifesto and Labours focus on social policies.

Also, I, and pretty much all the other leavers I've spoken to, did not think we could have our cake and eat it. We're very aware that there will probably be some serious negatives about leaving the single market, etc. For me, and others I know (mostly middle aged) it was very much about sovereignty and not about trade - we'd happily stay in a trading block, but do not want a Federal Europe, which is where it's going. (If it survives.)

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:32 - Jun 13 with 3644 viewscaught-in-limbo

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:21 - Jun 13 by lowhouseblue

so you were supporting a 'cheap scam' in order to destroy the eu, but it was a cheap scam because the 'consequences of it for people living in Britain were such that it was never really going to happen'. so it was never going to happen and it also was going to destroy the eu. ok then.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2017 9:28]

It was a cheap scam because there has never been any intention to leave the EU, but the conservatives got an election win out of promising the referendum.

Have you got it yet?

#toxic

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:34 - Jun 13 with 3644 viewsWeWereZombies

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:28 - Jun 13 by Vic

All well and good - except that despite Mays intentions Brexit wasn't really an issue in the election. Her initial intention was lost by her hopeless manifesto and Labours focus on social policies.

Also, I, and pretty much all the other leavers I've spoken to, did not think we could have our cake and eat it. We're very aware that there will probably be some serious negatives about leaving the single market, etc. For me, and others I know (mostly middle aged) it was very much about sovereignty and not about trade - we'd happily stay in a trading block, but do not want a Federal Europe, which is where it's going. (If it survives.)

Having spent the last eleven days travelling around Poland I have to say that this illusion of a Federal Europe looks centuries away - it only exists in the deranged minds of Juncker, Farage and similar fantasists.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:41 - Jun 13 with 3629 viewslowhouseblue

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:32 - Jun 13 by caught-in-limbo

It was a cheap scam because there has never been any intention to leave the EU, but the conservatives got an election win out of promising the referendum.

Have you got it yet?

so how does the uk not leaving the eu destroy the eu? do you see the inconsistency yet?

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:45 - Jun 13 with 3618 viewsFreddies_Ears

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:34 - Jun 13 by WeWereZombies

Having spent the last eleven days travelling around Poland I have to say that this illusion of a Federal Europe looks centuries away - it only exists in the deranged minds of Juncker, Farage and similar fantasists.

I'm in Paris for the match tonight, and it feels as French as in the 1970s when I first came here. Though you can get a decent curry here now!

In most languages btw, "federal" is understood to be almost the opposite of what we understand it to mean in the UK. We understand it to mean "central control", whereas it really means "as much power and decision-making devolved as possible".
Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:46 - Jun 13 with 3614 viewscaught-in-limbo

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:41 - Jun 13 by lowhouseblue

so how does the uk not leaving the eu destroy the eu? do you see the inconsistency yet?

so how does the uk not leaving the eu destroy the eu?

It doesn't. (But that doesn't mean the EU can't or won't be destroyed by the lack of stability instigated by this fiasco).

do you see the inconsistency yet?

Nope.

#toxic

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:56 - Jun 13 with 3604 viewsSwansea_Blue

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 08:12 - Jun 13 by GlasgowBlue

* Belfast Telegraph[191]
* Birmingham Mail[192]
* Daily Mirror[194]
* Daily Record[195]
* Farmers Weekly[196]
* Financial Times[197]
* The Economist[198]
* The Guardian[199]
* The Herald[200]
* The Independent[201]
* The Irish News[202]
* The Journal[203]
* The Lancet[204][205]
* Liverpool Echo[206]
* The National[210]
* Nature[211]
* New Statesman[212]
* The Observer[213]
* The Scotsman[214]
* Sunday Herald[215]
* Sunday Mail[216]
* Sunday Mirror[217]
* Sunday People[218]
* The Times[219]
* The Voice[220]
* Western Mail[221]

* Daily Express[540]
* MoneyWeek[545]
* The News Letter[548]
* Spiked[550]
* The Sun[551][552]
* The Sun on Sunday[553]
* Sunday Express[554]
* Sunday Sport[555]
* The Sunday Times[557]

Source Wiki.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/the-sun-newspapers-leave-brexit_uk_575fd33

Newspaper Coverage Of EU Referendum Overwhelmingly Backs ‘Brexit’ - As The Sun comes out it’s revealed 82% of newspaper coverage is for Leave

This headline summarising the key finding from a study undertaken by Loughborough University's Centre for Research Communication and Culture - http://www.lboro.ac.uk/news-events/eu-referendum/

And that's fairly self evident when you consider the circulation figures for the various dailies and Sunday papers.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:58 - Jun 13 with 3597 viewslowhouseblue

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:46 - Jun 13 by caught-in-limbo

so how does the uk not leaving the eu destroy the eu?

It doesn't. (But that doesn't mean the EU can't or won't be destroyed by the lack of stability instigated by this fiasco).

do you see the inconsistency yet?

Nope.

so you were supporting brexit because it would destroy the eu, but in fact you knew all along that brexit would never happen and it wouldn't therefore destroy the eu. but instead the uk not leaving the eu might destroy the eu. you just want political chaos and instability for the sake of political chaos and instability.

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 10:01 - Jun 13 with 3597 viewsRadlett_blue

A mix of some very good sense & some large fallacies.
The idea that Britain voted for Brexit because Bojo said it would be fine is absurd.
I think May foolishly called the election purely because she expected a large majority, securing 5 easy years of government.
The "no deal is better than a bad deal" is purely a negotiation tactic.
Yes, the country is very divided & the steady rise of regionalist parties within the UK will make Britain far harder to govern effectively. However, the UK is too small a state for a near-federal system to make sense & the appeasement tactic in Scotland has been a disaster.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 10:06 - Jun 13 with 3582 viewscaught-in-limbo

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 09:58 - Jun 13 by lowhouseblue

so you were supporting brexit because it would destroy the eu, but in fact you knew all along that brexit would never happen and it wouldn't therefore destroy the eu. but instead the uk not leaving the eu might destroy the eu. you just want political chaos and instability for the sake of political chaos and instability.

LOL

You're doing that stuck record thing you do when you're wrong and you don't want people to notice - preferring instead to bore people to death.

I didn't vote. I couldn't. But again, I was in favour of seeing the EU in its current form breaking up, not Britain leaving the EU per se.

#toxic

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 10:08 - Jun 13 with 3575 viewsNo9

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 08:59 - Jun 12 by FrowsyArmLarry

Brexit wasn't an election issue. The youth and BAME vote swung the election and their issues are tuition fees, NHS funding and identity politics.

Any competent party will take advantage of this in future

You didn't notice Mrs may tried to make it a 'Brexit' election?
& the Australian running the tories made it a 'Presidential' election.

It was Mr Corbyn who drove the debate onto domestic issues & rightly so.

Don't forget today youth / students are tomorrows ax payers, any sensible pserson wants the young to earn as much as possible (get rid of zero hour & part time contracts) so they can continue to fund the system as we have done for decades
Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 10:10 - Jun 13 with 3569 viewsNo9

Brilliant summary of recent events in the UK on 08:12 - Jun 13 by GlasgowBlue

* Belfast Telegraph[191]
* Birmingham Mail[192]
* Daily Mirror[194]
* Daily Record[195]
* Farmers Weekly[196]
* Financial Times[197]
* The Economist[198]
* The Guardian[199]
* The Herald[200]
* The Independent[201]
* The Irish News[202]
* The Journal[203]
* The Lancet[204][205]
* Liverpool Echo[206]
* The National[210]
* Nature[211]
* New Statesman[212]
* The Observer[213]
* The Scotsman[214]
* Sunday Herald[215]
* Sunday Mail[216]
* Sunday Mirror[217]
* Sunday People[218]
* The Times[219]
* The Voice[220]
* Western Mail[221]

* Daily Express[540]
* MoneyWeek[545]
* The News Letter[548]
* Spiked[550]
* The Sun[551][552]
* The Sun on Sunday[553]
* Sunday Express[554]
* Sunday Sport[555]
* The Sunday Times[557]

Source Wiki.

It would be interesting to see how many voters read what?

I dont see many mid age to elders reading other than the Daily Mail which speaks volumes
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024