Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does Keogh displace Janoi? 16:40 - Aug 10 with 3963 viewsMullet

I get the concern about selling either Woolf or Fridge, and he's here to allow Ndaba another loan; but surely he plays a lot this season given his quality?

If it's Janoi that misses out that seems incredibly harsh and whilst the other two CB's have the odd moment, it'd be bizarre to see them lose their place. Even with 5 subs it'd be odd to use Keogh to close out games too so it will be really interesting to see how KmcK manages this aspect.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Does Keogh displace Janoi? on 16:43 - Aug 10 with 2755 viewspointofblue

I’m pretty sure Keogh is here as a reserve - he’s carrying an injury at the moment as it is. I’d say, due to our shape, Donacien should be the last played to be dropped from defence. Hopefully he can provide some guidance and advice to Woolfenden and Edmundson.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Does Keogh displace Janoi? on 16:45 - Aug 10 with 2739 viewsJ2BLUE

With 5 subs I think he will play a lot of football without starting games. He might start less than 10 games but he's likely to come on to see a lot of games out and really held command the back line.

It could be a great deal for both him and the club if his minutes are managed. Prolongs his career and hopefully keeps him fit and we can utilise him when he's needed.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Does Keogh displace Janoi? on 16:46 - Aug 10 with 2729 viewspositivity

Does Keogh displace Janoi? on 16:43 - Aug 10 by pointofblue

I’m pretty sure Keogh is here as a reserve - he’s carrying an injury at the moment as it is. I’d say, due to our shape, Donacien should be the last played to be dropped from defence. Hopefully he can provide some guidance and advice to Woolfenden and Edmundson.

agreed, he may replace burgess on the bench

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Does Keogh displace Janoi? on 16:47 - Aug 10 with 2726 viewsclive_baker

I can't see it myself, I think JD has done so well under KM and as a one-on-one defender he's excellent. Not to mention getting forward, his over and under lapping runs and relationship with Burns which proved so effective. I can't see Keogh doing that role at his age. I think he's come in as cover for Woolfy and Edmundson, but like anyone if he gets a chance and takes it he'll be hard to dislodge.

I think it'll be Burgess who suffers as a result, I wouldn't be surprised if he moved on if there was some interest in him. I would be surprised if we got back what we paid but that's something of a sunk cost anyway.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Does Keogh displace Janoi? on 16:48 - Aug 10 with 2707 viewsMullet

Does Keogh displace Janoi? on 16:43 - Aug 10 by pointofblue

I get he's injured, but once the winter schedule is here surely he's coming in otherwise paying £200k or whatever seems extravagant to say the least.

Burgess looked good at FGR until he dropped his man at the end and offers something we don't have so you'd think if it's pushing him out of the squad/bench most weeks it's a big call.

Does Keogh displace Janoi? on 16:53 - Aug 10 with 2649 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Would imagine he'll get starts from time to time when one of the back three needs resting. Lot of games at the moment in seemingly unrelenting heat. Tough ask for the same three over a whole season.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Does Keogh displace Janoi? on 16:53 - Aug 10 with 2649 viewsMullet

Does Keogh displace Janoi? on 16:47 - Aug 10 by clive_baker

I can't see it myself, I think JD has done so well under KM and as a one-on-one defender he's excellent. Not to mention getting forward, his over and under lapping runs and relationship with Burns which proved so effective. I can't see Keogh doing that role at his age. I think he's come in as cover for Woolfy and Edmundson, but like anyone if he gets a chance and takes it he'll be hard to dislodge.

I think it'll be Burgess who suffers as a result, I wouldn't be surprised if he moved on if there was some interest in him. I would be surprised if we got back what we paid but that's something of a sunk cost anyway.

I wouldn't expect him to do that role at all either, but I was pondering purely on the basis of quality and leadership he'd get in the side and that means a rejiggle.

I'd be mortified if the St Lucian Cafu got the hook frankly.

Does Keogh displace Janoi? on 17:01 - Aug 10 with 2572 viewsclive_baker

Does Keogh displace Janoi? on 16:53 - Aug 10 by Mullet

I wouldn't expect him to do that role at all either, but I was pondering purely on the basis of quality and leadership he'd get in the side and that means a rejiggle.

I'd be mortified if the St Lucian Cafu got the hook frankly.

He said it 'came about quite quickly' which surprised me really. Made me wonder what's changed, other than perhaps getting wind of his availability. If there was serious interest in Burgess would he have played last night? Doubtful. So can't imagine it's that.

I agree with you, however you cut it it's a bit of a weird signing, but not a bad one by any means. Think the most likely scenario is Ndaba goes on loan and we're left with 5 senior CB's for a back 3 system which does feel a little excessive. Clearly we're not privy to the commercials but part of you has to think that's money we could've put towards Celina. Maybe we were miles apart with him.

Maybe it's a stroke of genius from KM, Keogh will actually play up front and bag 30 this season.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Login to get fewer ads

Does Keogh displace Janoi? on 17:07 - Aug 10 with 2526 viewsStewart27

I think he’s here to be first reserve and replace JD, LW OR GE when (not if) one of them gets injured.

I think this is more of a reflection on the fact he doesn’t trust Burgess as cover.
Does Keogh displace Janoi? on 17:08 - Aug 10 with 2526 viewsMullet

Does Keogh displace Janoi? on 16:53 - Aug 10 by Cheltenham_Blue

Would imagine he'll get starts from time to time when one of the back three needs resting. Lot of games at the moment in seemingly unrelenting heat. Tough ask for the same three over a whole season.

Think I mentioned how fit we looked at FGR right up to injury time, but given Davis seems to have taken a battering and there will be unforeseen injuries and suspensions too I guess it's possible.

However, by the time he's fit that window of hot weather shrinks too.

Does Keogh displace Janoi? on 17:08 - Aug 10 with 2511 viewschicoazul

I think he will yes. Janoi is very flexible and covers lots of positions from the bench. Fridge will move over to cover him I guess.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Does Keogh displace Janoi? on 17:11 - Aug 10 with 2503 viewsMullet

Does Keogh displace Janoi? on 17:01 - Aug 10 by clive_baker

He said it 'came about quite quickly' which surprised me really. Made me wonder what's changed, other than perhaps getting wind of his availability. If there was serious interest in Burgess would he have played last night? Doubtful. So can't imagine it's that.

I agree with you, however you cut it it's a bit of a weird signing, but not a bad one by any means. Think the most likely scenario is Ndaba goes on loan and we're left with 5 senior CB's for a back 3 system which does feel a little excessive. Clearly we're not privy to the commercials but part of you has to think that's money we could've put towards Celina. Maybe we were miles apart with him.

Maybe it's a stroke of genius from KM, Keogh will actually play up front and bag 30 this season.

I thought we'd chased him all summer and assumed he basically asked Blackpool to let him go so he could see out his dotage here and retire to the Essex Riviera etc.

I also thought Leigh would be CB cover at a push so we'd have flex there too, so it's interesting to see if alongside Ball KM sees a need for certain personalities and presence that were lacking since the treatment of Chambers et al.

Goals from defenders is something we've lacked since Smith and Berra so it'd be nice to see finally.

Does Keogh displace Janoi? on 17:14 - Aug 10 with 2468 viewsGlasgowBlue

One year deal, literally here to be by GlasgowBlue 10 Aug 2022 14:34
No way has he left a Championship club just to sit on the bench and be a strong character in the dressing room.

If I was a betting man then I'd say he will end up playing more games than Donacien. Which may sound unfair after the season he has just had but McKenna will want us to push on to the next level..

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Does Keogh displace Janoi? on 17:16 - Aug 10 with 2456 viewspointofblue

Perhaps it's a case that the three current defenders will be fighting for their place. If they all hit the standards required, Keogh will be more of first reserve in case of injury or loss of form. If McKenna has concerns about one of them, then in he'll come.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Does Keogh displace Janoi? on 18:11 - Aug 10 with 2360 viewstractorboy1978

No way he's here as back up. Blackpool fans seem to unanimously say he was their best defender last year in the league above. He seems a pretty durable type as well (a bit like Chambers) so his age isn't really too relevant. Harsh on JD but suspect he will miss out ultimately.

I wonder if now we have that threat down the left too, McKenna wants 3 proper centre halves with both Burns and Davis having more onus to properly bomb on.
Does Keogh displace Janoi? on 19:20 - Aug 10 with 2203 viewsGuthrum

Does Keogh displace Janoi? on 16:47 - Aug 10 by clive_baker

My thoughts also with JD. He is being played more like an extra RB (RWB, even, given how far and often he gets forward) than any normal CB.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Does Keogh displace Janoi? on 19:27 - Aug 10 with 2173 viewsBluearmy71

OH please!!

Did you read and or watch the video, Keogh makes it quite clear he knows what his role at the club will be given the late stage of his carer, I think your concerns are over the top!!
Does Keogh displace Janoi? on 19:31 - Aug 10 with 2145 viewsMullet

Does Keogh displace Janoi? on 19:27 - Aug 10 by Bluearmy71

OH please!!

Did you read and or watch the video, Keogh makes it quite clear he knows what his role at the club will be given the late stage of his carer, I think your concerns are over the top!!

Given your persistent toxic positivity and snarling at anyone and everyone, it's pretty telling you read that post as "concerns" rather than a simple talking point about the quality in the squad.

Mind you, that's indicative of the debate at times on social media and the need to have no subtlety.

Does Keogh displace Janoi? on 19:31 - Aug 10 with 2143 viewscbower

Please let it be Burgess' bench seat.

bluescouser

Does Keogh displace Janoi? on 19:40 - Aug 10 with 2077 viewsjayessess

Does Keogh displace Janoi? on 18:11 - Aug 10 by tractorboy1978

No way he's here as back up. Blackpool fans seem to unanimously say he was their best defender last year in the league above. He seems a pretty durable type as well (a bit like Chambers) so his age isn't really too relevant. Harsh on JD but suspect he will miss out ultimately.

I wonder if now we have that threat down the left too, McKenna wants 3 proper centre halves with both Burns and Davis having more onus to properly bomb on.

You'd have to dramatically change our shape to accommodate Keogh going in Donacien's spot, because he's not going to be an overlapping right back/centre back hybrid. You'd also disrupt our best attacking partnership from last year, in order to accommodate a more defensive player.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Does Keogh displace Janoi? on 19:41 - Aug 10 with 2083 viewsxrayspecs

I doubt he is a replacement for any of the defenders, except Nbada, who can get some loan experience playing CB.

RK gives us an additional option, to start as well as cover for injuries, suspension and loss of form. KM rotates his front three, there is no reason to expect him to stick with the same back three every game. KM can select any three from these four. He also has Ball, Leigh and Davis who can play at the back. The extra competition will be good for the defence and it also means players can drop out and get some rest during the busier parts of the season.
Does Keogh displace Janoi? on 19:46 - Aug 10 with 2051 viewsMullet

Does Keogh displace Janoi? on 19:41 - Aug 10 by xrayspecs

I doubt he is a replacement for any of the defenders, except Nbada, who can get some loan experience playing CB.

RK gives us an additional option, to start as well as cover for injuries, suspension and loss of form. KM rotates his front three, there is no reason to expect him to stick with the same back three every game. KM can select any three from these four. He also has Ball, Leigh and Davis who can play at the back. The extra competition will be good for the defence and it also means players can drop out and get some rest during the busier parts of the season.

See that's fine but he was greeted with a lot of confusion then a few went giddy with the praise way beyond his football ability.

Morsy has rightly welcomed him and his quality and a few Tangerines etc on the tweet announcing him. It seems really odd to spend a fee on someone that good to do that role. I get we are no longer under Evans and all that, but I just don't see how we don't play him either.

It's a fascinating conundrum trying to peer into KMK's process here.

Does Keogh displace Janoi? on 19:53 - Aug 10 with 2024 viewsibbleobble

With al this in mind, it does raise the question as to why he’s been signed. He’s a great addition but the gulf between Ndaba and him is colossal and no-one in that back three deserves to be dropped for a player who is nearing retirement, it’s illogical. I can only assume he’s preferred as a back-up rather than Burgess.
Does Keogh displace Janoi? on 19:58 - Aug 10 with 1988 viewscbower

Does Keogh displace Janoi? on 19:46 - Aug 10 by Mullet

See that's fine but he was greeted with a lot of confusion then a few went giddy with the praise way beyond his football ability.

Morsy has rightly welcomed him and his quality and a few Tangerines etc on the tweet announcing him. It seems really odd to spend a fee on someone that good to do that role. I get we are no longer under Evans and all that, but I just don't see how we don't play him either.

Phil said a couple of hundred thousand early on and then today a nominal fee. If it was 200K, that's a significant fee for cover and makes you wonder how far below Leicester's valuation our rebuffed bids for Hirst were. I can see not breaking a wage structure for Bersant though.

bluescouser

Does Keogh displace Janoi? on 20:04 - Aug 10 with 1937 viewsxrayspecs

Does Keogh displace Janoi? on 19:46 - Aug 10 by Mullet

A lot of our fans do not understand football? Well, that is a surprise...

RK has played most of his football at a higher level than L1, and played 30 odd games in the Championship in each of the last two seasons. He is a better defender than any of out three CBs albeit the sands of time are running out for him.

KM wants a squad of about 22 outfield players, all of whom can compete to start. That is a big difference to previous seasons where we had a first team and the rest, few of whom were anything but reserves.

KM is very open about his approach. I think what is confusing fans is that ii is not how Paul's Cooke, Lambert or Jewell would have operated. Or MM.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024