Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Leach out of Ashes 17:21 - Jun 4 with 3361 viewsSamuelowen88

Devastating for him, has come on so much, and just seems to fit with this team.

Who comes in? Ahmed? Bess?

Poll: England v Wales Score

Leach out of Ashes on 17:29 - Jun 4 with 3120 viewsgainsboroughblue

That is a blow. Stokes' captaincy has given him a real boost in the last year. The captain himself worries me too, despite his bravado saying he is fine to bowl. I'm not so convinced.

As for who comes in for Leach, Parkinson will be probably be the favourite. Ahmed needs a full year for Leicester imo and actually get some overs under his belt. I reckon Aus would take him for 6 or 7 an over right now.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Leach out of Ashes on 17:52 - Jun 4 with 3065 viewscatch74

I do wonder if we’ll go extra quick bowler, rely on Root for spin. If McCullum could have a word with Moeen Ali he’d be a perfect short term replacement.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Leach out of Ashes on 18:20 - Jun 4 with 3009 viewswaspsforever1

Leach out of Ashes on 17:29 - Jun 4 by gainsboroughblue

That is a blow. Stokes' captaincy has given him a real boost in the last year. The captain himself worries me too, despite his bravado saying he is fine to bowl. I'm not so convinced.

As for who comes in for Leach, Parkinson will be probably be the favourite. Ahmed needs a full year for Leicester imo and actually get some overs under his belt. I reckon Aus would take him for 6 or 7 an over right now.

root now the all rounder his bowling is underrated one more seamer
Tuffers. (n/t) on 18:21 - Jun 4 with 3008 viewsBloots

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Leach out of Ashes on 18:27 - Jun 4 with 2998 viewsbournemouthblue

Leach out of Ashes on 18:20 - Jun 4 by waspsforever1

root now the all rounder his bowling is underrated one more seamer

A senior spinner is going to be important if Stokes can't bowl

We really don't have a lot of backup

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Leach out of Ashes on 18:29 - Jun 4 with 2991 viewsSamuelowen88

If stokes doesn't play, who'd you bring in? Some saying foakes might get a shout.

Leach out of Ashes on 18:31 - Jun 4 with 2984 viewschicoazul

Believe Stokes is out too…

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Leach out of Ashes on 18:38 - Jun 4 with 2970 viewsgainsboroughblue

Leach out of Ashes on 18:31 - Jun 4 by chicoazul

Really? Not seen that.

Maybe we'll see something like this.

Crawley (let's face it, he's not going anywhere)
Duckett
Pope
Root
Brook
Bairstow
Dawson (more to shorten the tail)
Woakes
Robinson
Broad
Anderson

Edit. Or maybe Wood for Woakes if we want pace.
[Post edited 4 Jun 2023 18:40]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Login to get fewer ads

Leach out of Ashes on 18:51 - Jun 4 with 2905 viewsYallop2

Go get Moeem
Leach out of Ashes on 18:52 - Jun 4 with 2903 viewsYallop2

Nonsense
Stokes, Foakes, Woakes.... on 18:58 - Jun 4 with 2883 viewsBloots

Leach out of Ashes on 18:29 - Jun 4 by Samuelowen88

If stokes doesn't play, who'd you bring in? Some saying foakes might get a shout.

....one of those blokes.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Leach out of Ashes on 19:52 - Jun 4 with 2786 viewsGuthrum

Pretty much half out already, given his ability to bowl looks dubious, at best. Not being able to run between the wickets will be a real drawback, too - not every situation can be handled by smashing the ball around. That frequently leads to very short innings for the batter, however skilled they may be.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Leach out of Ashes on 20:15 - Jun 4 with 2751 viewschicoazul

Leach out of Ashes on 18:51 - Jun 4 by Yallop2

Go get Moeem

They’ll replace him with a seamer and give Root 30 overs a day, bound to happen.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Leach out of Ashes on 20:24 - Jun 4 with 2736 viewstonybied

Leach out of Ashes on 19:52 - Jun 4 by Guthrum

Pretty much half out already, given his ability to bowl looks dubious, at best. Not being able to run between the wickets will be a real drawback, too - not every situation can be handled by smashing the ball around. That frequently leads to very short innings for the batter, however skilled they may be.

Whenever I've seen him play test cricket in the last year I've thought to myself I can't see it being too long before he's forced to retire due to his knee problems. I truly think if he wasn't captain he probably would've done already.
Leach out of Ashes on 20:32 - Jun 4 with 2718 viewsTrequartista

Derek Underwood? You don't need to run much do you.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Leach out of Ashes on 21:28 - Jun 4 with 2656 viewsEly_Blue

Stokes to open if he can’t bowl? Drop Crawley

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Leach out of Ashes on 22:16 - Jun 4 with 2595 viewsstonojnr

Leach out of Ashes on 20:24 - Jun 4 by tonybied

Whenever I've seen him play test cricket in the last year I've thought to myself I can't see it being too long before he's forced to retire due to his knee problems. I truly think if he wasn't captain he probably would've done already.

Ive always maintained making him captain accelerated this point with his injuries, because he's the kind of person who will ignore the pain barrier and play through it because he wants to give his all for the team all the time and as captain there was never anyone to tell him, no you need to rest.

Leach's job as a bowler was always to hold an end to build pressure, rather than be a bowler who was a match winner, I dont think Root can fill that role for the whole series, I think there are spinners in the county game England can turn to, its whether they choose to that counts.
Leach out of Ashes on 23:35 - Jun 4 with 2513 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Leach out of Ashes on 18:38 - Jun 4 by gainsboroughblue

Really? Not seen that.

Maybe we'll see something like this.

Crawley (let's face it, he's not going anywhere)
Duckett
Pope
Root
Brook
Bairstow
Dawson (more to shorten the tail)
Woakes
Robinson
Broad
Anderson

Edit. Or maybe Wood for Woakes if we want pace.
[Post edited 4 Jun 2023 18:40]

If Stokes can't bowl, the decision has been made to give Bairstow the gloves over Foakes (which I disagree with) and given that Leach is now out, I would go:

Ali
Duckett
Pope
Root
Brook
Stokes
Bairstow
Robinson
Broad (floating Nighthawk)
Tongue (the brave choice) or Woakes (the conservative choice) (who would bat above Robinson and Broad)
Anderson

We lose out on having a genuine world class all rounder if Stokes can't bowl, but by having Ali covering both 2/3 of the spin bowler, and Root the other 1/3, as well as opener, and Bairstow as wicket keeper as well as batsman you make up for that loss.

6 bowling options plus Stokes. And 7 batsman who have the potential to take the game away from Australia, if they get in, with a very respectable tail.

Australia have a weaker batting line up, with two greats.

England have the weaker bowling line up, with two greats (in English conditions).
Stokes, Foakes, Woakes.... on 23:47 - Jun 4 with 2505 viewsPhilTWTD

Stokes, Foakes, Woakes.... on 18:58 - Jun 4 by Bloots

....one of those blokes.

Jokes!
Stokes, Foakes, Woakes.... on 07:41 - Jun 5 with 2398 viewssolemio

Stokes, Foakes, Woakes.... on 23:47 - Jun 4 by PhilTWTD

Jokes!

When?
Leach out of Ashes on 14:25 - Jun 5 with 2255 viewsRadlett_blue

Leach out of Ashes on 17:52 - Jun 4 by catch74

I do wonder if we’ll go extra quick bowler, rely on Root for spin. If McCullum could have a word with Moeen Ali he’d be a perfect short term replacement.

Root is a part time spinner who can be effective if the ball is turning e.g. on the sub continent. He can't do the Leach role, which in a home Ashes series was likely to be tying up one end while the fast bowlers rest. That's likely to be more important as I can't see Stokes bowling more than a few overs. However, the Aussies would definitely attack Leach & I'm not sure he would have played a b ig role this summer unless the ball was turning. Moeen is unlikely to play; he doesn't like playing against Australia, probably because of their persistent sledging & he has a poor record against them. He has also never been a "tie the opposition down" type of spinner. Rehan Ahmed is too inexperienced & wrist spinners (excepting Warne) have never done much in England. Parkinson is equally a non-starter. THe options are to rely on a little part time spin from Root, in which case we need a 4th seamer as Stokes will hardly bowl, or an experienced spin bowler like Liam Dawson, who can probably tie down an end.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Leach out of Ashes on 14:32 - Jun 5 with 2239 viewsMelford

Leach out of Ashes on 14:25 - Jun 5 by Radlett_blue

Root is a part time spinner who can be effective if the ball is turning e.g. on the sub continent. He can't do the Leach role, which in a home Ashes series was likely to be tying up one end while the fast bowlers rest. That's likely to be more important as I can't see Stokes bowling more than a few overs. However, the Aussies would definitely attack Leach & I'm not sure he would have played a b ig role this summer unless the ball was turning. Moeen is unlikely to play; he doesn't like playing against Australia, probably because of their persistent sledging & he has a poor record against them. He has also never been a "tie the opposition down" type of spinner. Rehan Ahmed is too inexperienced & wrist spinners (excepting Warne) have never done much in England. Parkinson is equally a non-starter. THe options are to rely on a little part time spin from Root, in which case we need a 4th seamer as Stokes will hardly bowl, or an experienced spin bowler like Liam Dawson, who can probably tie down an end.

What might have been
I’d love to play for England,” he said. “I feel it would be a way of repaying the faith English cricket has shown in me by allowing me to play here.

“English cricket has given me the opportunity to become a better person and a better player. So I would ultimately like to get a British passport and be naturalised in the UK, especially for my future family.”

https://inews.co.uk/sport/cricket/brexit-ruined-simon-harmers-hopes-playing-engl

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Leach out of Ashes on 14:38 - Jun 5 with 2229 viewsMookamoo

Leach out of Ashes on 14:25 - Jun 5 by Radlett_blue

They'll just play Broad and Wood and get Root to provide the spin

Another option is they play Lawrence and get hime to bowl a few
Leach out of Ashes on 15:00 - Jun 5 with 2215 viewsblueasfook

The worst thing about closed season in football?

Having to put up with cricket bores posting...

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Leach out of Ashes on 14:14 - Jun 7 with 1966 viewsSamuelowen88

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024