Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
3 in the middle the plan? 00:00 - Jun 27 with 2459 viewskizaitfc

With a these cms could KM be looking at a 4-3-3 formation with the front 3 very much interchangeable.

Emulating the Liverpool style of cms covering for overlapping fullbacks.

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

3 in the middle the plan? on 00:22 - Jun 27 with 2394 viewsStokieBlue

Why would he look to change a tactic and formation that resulted in 101 goals?

I might be wrong but trying to fit the players to a formation after one transfer seems a bit silly.

SB
[Post edited 27 Jun 2023 0:27]

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

3 in the middle the plan? on 00:34 - Jun 27 with 2358 viewskizaitfc

3 in the middle the plan? on 00:22 - Jun 27 by StokieBlue

I might be wrong but trying to fit the players to a formation after one transfer seems a bit silly.

SB

It's a very slight change in our current formation.

A couple of reasons you could argue for change:

1) The championship is going to be tougher than league 1 so maybe try and control the midfield.

2) What's wrong with trying to emulate the formation used by some of the best teams.

Ultimately, I agree with you don't fix what isn't broken but I can't see how you keep all of these cms happy and I not sure we will be in a hurry to get rid of the likes of Evans and Camara

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

3 in the middle the plan? on 01:43 - Jun 27 with 2308 viewsBondiBlue

3 in the middle the plan? on 00:34 - Jun 27 by kizaitfc

1) The championship is going to be tougher than league 1 so maybe try and control the midfield.

2) What's wrong with trying to emulate the formation used by some of the best teams.

Ultimately, I agree with you don't fix what isn't broken but I can't see how you keep all of these cms happy and I not sure we will be in a hurry to get rid of the likes of Evans and Camara

Chaplin playing off the right instead of as a ten? Could work. He starts out there from goal kicks anyway, and it wasn't so long ago that we were doing two tens, of which he was the right-sided one.

A lot depends on how burns starts the season, because you'd imagine he'd be the one to drop out if we played an extra midfielder, not chaplin or broadhead.

Poll: Which would you accept?

3 in the middle the plan? on 05:46 - Jun 27 with 2199 viewsibbleobble

SB

You are right. Play the same system and the way we do and we’ll make top 8 next season.
3 in the middle the plan? on 06:03 - Jun 27 with 2175 viewsPioneerBlue

I’m not writing this off completely and having a secondary way of controlling games or seeing games out with the extra midfielder and sacrificed attacker is an in game option but not what I think we will go with for our main game.

Last season we evolved from 3421 to 4321 with tweaks using asymmetric full backs and at one stage looked like using an inverted full back. KMcK then used a trusted method to assist the winning run by reducing control and ball retention to move the ball through the thirds more quickly.

All this was subtle, 433 is only a variation on 4321 but admittedly probably requires different attacking profiles to be effective, with what we have it might afford someone like Edwards or Jackson to be finishers by strengthening midfield and adding speed late in games.
[Post edited 27 Jun 2023 22:55]

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

3 in the middle the plan? on 07:43 - Jun 27 with 2008 viewsHerbivore

I don't think we're going to see a change in formation generally and I expect us to mainly line up with a similar system to last season. It's not a bad thing to have a plan b though if we went to see a game out without losing our threat or when playing against an opponent who could otherwise overrun us in midfield.
[Post edited 27 Jun 2023 7:43]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

3 in the middle the plan? on 07:49 - Jun 27 with 1975 viewstractorboy1978

A couple of midfielders will go for sure.

Just like last season, good players are going to be spending time on the bench. We will need our squad of 25 at some point and with 5 subs allowed, all will contribute whether it's from the start or the bench.
3 in the middle the plan? on 08:30 - Jun 27 with 1876 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

I don't think we will change system entirely, but I do think the signing of Taylor gives us an option of regaining control of a game by going to a 3 man midfield - perhaps with Taylor more of a 10 with Morsy and Luongo in support or two 8's in Taylor and Luongo and Morsy anchoring.

The way I see it though is we now have Taylor and Luongo for that left side CM role, and Morsy and Ball and/or Evans for that right sided role.

Camara will need to have a very strong pre season to force his way in.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Login to get fewer ads

3 in the middle the plan? on 08:49 - Jun 27 with 1819 viewsGuthrum

Thing is, it's not the purpose of the club to keep players happy. We should have the right number on the books to fulfil the roles required, with substitution, rotation and cover taken into account. Particularly in an environment where numbers are limited by the authorities.

Could see us selling or loaning out Evans, Ball and even Camara (all of whom have had extended injury problems). Possibly El Mizouni leaving too. Resulting in a CM unit of Morsy, Taylor, Luongo and Humphreys.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

3 in the middle the plan? on 09:16 - Jun 27 with 1738 viewsWallingford_Boy

Taylor to replace Luongo.

Simple.

RIP Sir Bobby

3 in the middle the plan? on 10:47 - Jun 27 with 1633 viewsPinewoodblue

3 in the middle the plan? on 09:16 - Jun 27 by Wallingford_Boy

Taylor to replace Luongo.

Simple.

We need to stop concentrating on the starting eleven.

With five subs allowed it is the eighteen we should be thinking about. Move on.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

3 in the middle the plan? on 10:53 - Jun 27 with 1611 viewsxrayspecs

Would be surprised. It is a squad game and players will be rotated between and within games.
3 in the middle the plan? on 11:04 - Jun 27 with 1543 viewsLankHenners

Our formation as it is is fairly fluid so, in possession anyway, it's hard to nail it down to a specific set of 3 numbers.

Can see a situation in some games (either from the start or, more likely, in-game) where we might want to have 3 midfielders in there but would obviously mean sacrificing an attacking player. There were a few games last season where McKenna went for a sort of false 9 set-up so wouldn't write it off as an option.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

3 in the middle the plan? on 11:51 - Jun 27 with 1461 viewsWeWereZombies

3 in the middle the plan? on 11:04 - Jun 27 by LankHenners

Our formation as it is is fairly fluid so, in possession anyway, it's hard to nail it down to a specific set of 3 numbers.

Can see a situation in some games (either from the start or, more likely, in-game) where we might want to have 3 midfielders in there but would obviously mean sacrificing an attacking player. There were a few games last season where McKenna went for a sort of false 9 set-up so wouldn't write it off as an option.

There may be other games where we play with two strikers at times, especially if we are struggling to equalise or score a winner (I know it is what a lot of supporters want to see and a cautious manager like McKenna is less likely to deliver but the next stage up will be different to the Third Division) so a 4-3-3 or whatever could see the false nine or false ten shift to out and out, the lone striker with support left and right abandoned for an attacker with a free role supporting the other two (or one, if the midfield has to be packed) strikers.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

3 in the middle the plan? on 12:02 - Jun 27 with 1422 viewsJackNorthStand

I think the signings certainly give us that option in some matches. Mckenna would be familiar with playing it too ( United played it a fair amount under Mourinho then OGS ).
3 in the middle the plan? on 12:06 - Jun 27 with 1391 viewsJackNorthStand

SB

We wont have better players than majority of teams in the league next season - this may not be the starting tactic but I think certainly in tougher games Mckenna would want to give himself that option of 3 CMs as opposed to going man for man.
3 in the middle the plan? on 12:15 - Jun 27 with 1345 viewsJ2BLUE

It's a minimum 48 game season and it's a squad game now.

All the speculation about formations and if he's here to replace one of the current starters is very odd.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024