Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Has mick had enough? 21:28 - Jan 2 with 1731 viewsbluearmyitfc

He looks and sounds like he has had enough, he still has piss poor tactics and same old defensive minded decisions, he is so arrogant to the fans and press, in his view we all no nothing
Has mick had enough? on 21:29 - Jan 2 with 1712 viewsRIPbobby

Was he like this when time ran out for him at Wolves? I can't remember. All I do know is Ipswich fans are notoriously patient. How can we be criticised and how can he feel so much pressure?
Has mick had enough? on 22:03 - Jan 2 with 1613 viewsbluearmyitfc

Really what will it take for Evans to do something?
Has mick had enough? on 22:15 - Jan 2 with 1569 viewsSuperfrans

Today was a real low for me - fans making kneejerk reactions to two subs, without knowing why the players were being withdrawn. And this on a day when we got what many have been asking for - lots of youngsters on the pitch, a progressive playing style and a good performance.

Managers have to make decisions based on information most fans will not be aware of. I understand the frustration with Mick, but there has to be some respect, some degree of latitude for him to make the decisions based on what he knows.

For those who find his reaction confusing, or even that of Chambers recently, who has been clearly disappointed by the attitude towards him and others in the first team, the reason is quite simple really. A team of professional footballers with the togetherness that our first team and squad has operate under a philosophy of collective responsibility - no individual is thrown under the bus, they win together, they lose together. That's absolutely as it should be.

So, when a group of players, operating to that philosophy, find one of their number (or 2/3 of their number) being scapegoated and blamed for all of the ills of the world, they don't get it - or they believe they should be able to expect the same from the fans. We're all in it together, fans, players, manager, owner.

And those who find this amusing or think players should be tougher and "man up" (as has suggested on here recently), should think back to previous regimes, not very long ago when the players couldn't give a toss about the team or the club as a whole. We are so far ahead of that not, but we're in danger of blowing it big time.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Has mick had enough? on 22:15 - Jan 2 with 1556 viewsblueblood66

Has mick had enough? on 21:29 - Jan 2 by RIPbobby

Was he like this when time ran out for him at Wolves? I can't remember. All I do know is Ipswich fans are notoriously patient. How can we be criticised and how can he feel so much pressure?

Yes it was and a thrashing v WBA was his end
Has mick had enough? on 22:20 - Jan 2 with 1519 viewsoldbluestu

Correct, fans don't know anything about football. If they did they would be managers of football teams. There is a big difference between thinking you're an expert on something and actually being an expert
Has mick had enough? on 22:42 - Jan 2 with 1441 viewsGuthrum

Has mick had enough? on 22:20 - Jan 2 by oldbluestu

Correct, fans don't know anything about football. If they did they would be managers of football teams. There is a big difference between thinking you're an expert on something and actually being an expert

I would disagree with that on the grounds that expertise in the game is not the only qualification to be a manager. All League/Prem managers have been players to at least professional standard.

That automatically excludes anyone who may have spent years studying the game, may even have the latent skillset and mentality to run a team, but who lacked the talent and physical attributes to perform on the pitch themselves.

Under those kind of rules, no journalist should be allowed to analyse or comment upon politics who has not served in government themselves, no historian allowed to write who is less than several hundred years old.

Fans, who may have been watching the game for decades, can have considerable knowlege and understanding of football.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Has mick had enough? on 22:57 - Jan 2 with 1373 viewsSuperfrans

Has mick had enough? on 22:42 - Jan 2 by Guthrum

I would disagree with that on the grounds that expertise in the game is not the only qualification to be a manager. All League/Prem managers have been players to at least professional standard.

That automatically excludes anyone who may have spent years studying the game, may even have the latent skillset and mentality to run a team, but who lacked the talent and physical attributes to perform on the pitch themselves.

Under those kind of rules, no journalist should be allowed to analyse or comment upon politics who has not served in government themselves, no historian allowed to write who is less than several hundred years old.

Fans, who may have been watching the game for decades, can have considerable knowlege and understanding of football.

I don't think there are many fans in the stands with the experience to compare with that of someone like McCarthy or Holloway, with years working with professional players, hours a day, day in day out, week after week. And I can't see how anyone could mount an argument to the contrary tbh.

But it's not just that - it's the massive knowledge gap that fans have (compared to those inside the club, on the coaching staff) when it comes to injuries, fitness, the general form and mood, of the players. That seems simply unbridgeable. There is no way that a run-of-the-mill fan could have any idea of what is going on inside the dressing room, behind the scenes.

FFS, many of them couldn't even reach the pretty obvious conclusion that Kenlock was injured today, when he was clearly limping for a few minutes before the substitution and then hobbled off the pitch. I do believe some of them may well be certifiably blind.

Has mick had enough? on 22:59 - Jan 2 with 1354 viewsreusersfreekicks

Has mick had enough? on 22:57 - Jan 2 by Superfrans

I don't think there are many fans in the stands with the experience to compare with that of someone like McCarthy or Holloway, with years working with professional players, hours a day, day in day out, week after week. And I can't see how anyone could mount an argument to the contrary tbh.

But it's not just that - it's the massive knowledge gap that fans have (compared to those inside the club, on the coaching staff) when it comes to injuries, fitness, the general form and mood, of the players. That seems simply unbridgeable. There is no way that a run-of-the-mill fan could have any idea of what is going on inside the dressing room, behind the scenes.

FFS, many of them couldn't even reach the pretty obvious conclusion that Kenlock was injured today, when he was clearly limping for a few minutes before the substitution and then hobbled off the pitch. I do believe some of them may well be certifiably blind.

Most fans are, sadly, quite thick
Login to get fewer ads

Has mick had enough? on 23:00 - Jan 2 with 1352 viewswkj

Has mick had enough? on 21:29 - Jan 2 by RIPbobby

Mick was resolute until the very end at Wolves, I think what he wants to do for the club vs what he is allowed to do are two completely different things. All these nicey nicey from the top about investment is there if needed, should have been there the year we were 2nd start of the transfer window.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Has mick had enough? on 23:15 - Jan 2 with 1289 viewsGuthrum

Has mick had enough? on 22:57 - Jan 2 by Superfrans

And neither do they have the insight of having actually been on the pitch during a competitive League match, of what the players go through.

But to say they cannot comment upon or analyse - even criticise - a manager's performance without having done the job themselves is faintly ridiculous.

Neither Holloway nor McCarthy are superhuman, they will make mistakes, sometimes have off-days. They will have their foibles and pet ideas, same as anybody else. And sometimes fans will spot that.

Has mick had enough? on 23:21 - Jan 2 with 1242 viewsSuperfrans

Has mick had enough? on 23:15 - Jan 2 by Guthrum

And neither do they have the insight of having actually been on the pitch during a competitive League match, of what the players go through.

But to say they cannot comment upon or analyse - even criticise - a manager's performance without having done the job themselves is faintly ridiculous.

Neither Holloway nor McCarthy are superhuman, they will make mistakes, sometimes have off-days. They will have their foibles and pet ideas, same as anybody else. And sometimes fans will spot that.

Okay, fair enough. We all like to pretend we're Sir Bobby at time. But..
A. FFS, have a bit of modesty. Some people on here seem to think they are Guardiola.
B. Don't second guess every single decision. The problem now is that so many of our fans are anti-Mick they can't separate their dislike for him from the decisions he takes.
C. Recognise that the manager will often have information that we, as fans, don't have access too. Reserve judgment until you know all the relevant information.

In reality, I was disappointed to see Douglas on the pitch, but if Bru was knackered (something we didn't know, at the time) then fair enough. We don't have another CM holding option at the moment, with Hyam injured.

Has mick had enough? on 23:29 - Jan 2 with 1213 viewsGuthrum

Has mick had enough? on 23:21 - Jan 2 by Superfrans

Okay, fair enough. We all like to pretend we're Sir Bobby at time. But..
A. FFS, have a bit of modesty. Some people on here seem to think they are Guardiola.
B. Don't second guess every single decision. The problem now is that so many of our fans are anti-Mick they can't separate their dislike for him from the decisions he takes.
C. Recognise that the manager will often have information that we, as fans, don't have access too. Reserve judgment until you know all the relevant information.

In reality, I was disappointed to see Douglas on the pitch, but if Bru was knackered (something we didn't know, at the time) then fair enough. We don't have another CM holding option at the moment, with Hyam injured.

Agree with all three of your points.

I would have preferred Bru to be replaced with Dozzell, as proved very effective on Friday night. Maybe the latter was not up to another go in so few days, or perhaps the manager wanted to reinforce the defence having gone four at the back.

But I agree that McCarthy is in a bit of a bind, having no fit options between the youngster and Douglas for that midfield slot.

Has mick had enough? on 23:41 - Jan 2 with 1165 viewsSuperfrans

Has mick had enough? on 23:29 - Jan 2 by Guthrum

Agree with all three of your points.

I would have preferred Bru to be replaced with Dozzell, as proved very effective on Friday night. Maybe the latter was not up to another go in so few days, or perhaps the manager wanted to reinforce the defence having gone four at the back.

But I agree that McCarthy is in a bit of a bind, having no fit options between the youngster and Douglas for that midfield slot.

It wouldn't at all surprise me if a central holding midfielder was on the list of reinforcements for this month.

Has mick had enough? on 23:50 - Jan 2 with 1137 viewsGuthrum

Has mick had enough? on 23:41 - Jan 2 by Superfrans

It wouldn't at all surprise me if a central holding midfielder was on the list of reinforcements for this month.

Indeed, but with the capability to get forward as well, not purely defensive.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024