Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bringing GB back 22:55 - Jan 7 with 1498 viewsomuircheartaigh

When in charge of Ireland, Jack Charlton said he would stay as long as the fans wanted him. His successor, Mick, who had profited from Jack's boorish playing style, at the expense of superior players, doesn't seem to buy into that part of big Jack's approach. I think this is exacerbating the frustration. There is a financial reality but given how Portman Road seems to be simmering, I'd hope common sense would enable a settlement.

ME has looked for managers with proven track records of promotion. Go a step further and add a manager with a proven track record here.

Bring back George. Mindful of the importance of Dale Roberts contribution back in the day, he would need a good assistant. GB and McGreal would my choice.

[Post edited 7 Jan 2017 23:09]
Bringing GB back on 23:21 - Jan 7 with 1403 viewsjeera

http://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/393387/3460718/would-you-take-burley-back/#post34607

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Bringing GB back on 23:25 - Jan 7 with 1375 viewsSteve_M

I loved what Burley did first time round but his failings in 2001-02 are a major reason we are where we are now.

I would like to see that sort of multi-year approach though but there's no chance of ME trying that now.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Bringing GB back on 23:36 - Jan 7 with 1309 viewsomuircheartaigh

Bringing GB back on 23:25 - Jan 7 by Steve_M

I loved what Burley did first time round but his failings in 2001-02 are a major reason we are where we are now.

I would like to see that sort of multi-year approach though but there's no chance of ME trying that now.

Didn't ME's recent statement on the club refer to such a plan? Along with development of young players and attacking football?

I think the financial environment would be better controlled now.

I agree of course that it was a messy ending but I think he would have also learned from it.
Bringing GB back on 00:14 - Jan 8 with 1202 viewswkj

My nostalgia says yes, but my mind says no. As Jeera points out, he would be a good DOF, and I believe the club desperately needs a football noggin to be the intermediator between gaffer and the invisible one. I think we, as a club have to make a couple of concessions though. The way things are, us having a premiership challenging mindset is definitely punching above our weight.

I think we need to regroup, get someone in who has long term vision, with a lot to prove and possibly no experience above league 1. Someone who i very faithful to the academy and it's values, because let's face it, getting transfers in has long been a problem area. As fans I think we have to accept for a few seasons that success conditions are we finish 10th+ but with a mind to improve over time. The new manager has to be dynamic, and show character, and make us feel like we tried when we lose, and didn't get lucky when we win.

It is easy to court legends, and former town players, but we have to accept the club isnt the same club they played for, it's philosophies have been in tatters for over a decade, and we need a gaffer we can build our faith in, and evolve into what we need to be once more, instead of wanting a gaffer to grab us by the fringe and yank us up the table all ugly and sloppy.

I once used to think, I would rather be winning than entertained, however the fact of the matter is, that holds sod all longevity. I would much rather develop a style of football which is exciting to watch even if we lose and to feel proud that I just stumped up a days worth of wages rather than miserable complaining about things.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Bringing GB back on 01:35 - Jan 8 with 1114 viewsRyorry

Bringing GB back on 00:14 - Jan 8 by wkj

My nostalgia says yes, but my mind says no. As Jeera points out, he would be a good DOF, and I believe the club desperately needs a football noggin to be the intermediator between gaffer and the invisible one. I think we, as a club have to make a couple of concessions though. The way things are, us having a premiership challenging mindset is definitely punching above our weight.

I think we need to regroup, get someone in who has long term vision, with a lot to prove and possibly no experience above league 1. Someone who i very faithful to the academy and it's values, because let's face it, getting transfers in has long been a problem area. As fans I think we have to accept for a few seasons that success conditions are we finish 10th+ but with a mind to improve over time. The new manager has to be dynamic, and show character, and make us feel like we tried when we lose, and didn't get lucky when we win.

It is easy to court legends, and former town players, but we have to accept the club isnt the same club they played for, it's philosophies have been in tatters for over a decade, and we need a gaffer we can build our faith in, and evolve into what we need to be once more, instead of wanting a gaffer to grab us by the fringe and yank us up the table all ugly and sloppy.

I once used to think, I would rather be winning than entertained, however the fact of the matter is, that holds sod all longevity. I would much rather develop a style of football which is exciting to watch even if we lose and to feel proud that I just stumped up a days worth of wages rather than miserable complaining about things.

Quite - we did it with Burley first time round after all! (but never go back is my motto, it doesn't usually work - moving forwards is the answer). Throwing in a wild one - we could always make an offer to the Lincoln managers, they seem to have done incredibly well on as lean a budget as ME would like!! (Apols to any Imps reading this ...)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Bringing GB back on 01:55 - Jan 8 with 1097 viewsRoyKeanesDog

An occasional poster on here, BlueInBrum, mingles in the same circles as George. He said that when asked about it, George said he wouldn't go back in a million years as it is a poisoned chalice.

Poll: Best Football Song

Bringing GB back on 02:03 - Jan 8 with 1065 viewsArnieM

Bringing GB back on 01:35 - Jan 8 by Ryorry

Quite - we did it with Burley first time round after all! (but never go back is my motto, it doesn't usually work - moving forwards is the answer). Throwing in a wild one - we could always make an offer to the Lincoln managers, they seem to have done incredibly well on as lean a budget as ME would like!! (Apols to any Imps reading this ...)

another manager to consider who is doing very well and whose teams plays really good football is the Scunthorpe manager.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Bringing GB back on 02:18 - Jan 8 with 1051 viewswkj

Bringing GB back on 01:55 - Jan 8 by RoyKeanesDog

An occasional poster on here, BlueInBrum, mingles in the same circles as George. He said that when asked about it, George said he wouldn't go back in a million years as it is a poisoned chalice.

Didn't he declare his interest in the role when PJ left, or am I imagining that

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024