Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fortuna Dusseldorf in May! 18:51 - Feb 13 with 1686 viewsKingPablo

Hi all

The missus and I are heading to Dusseldorf in May for a city break. She's managed to get us tickets for the Fortuna game vs Erzgevirge Aue on the 21st. I'd love to hear from the Germans/locals/people who have been on the go to places for a drink before/after the game for some good atmosphere. We're early 20s and enjoy a drink 😉.

Any recommendations on what to do for the other days of our holiday would be appreciated also.

Cheers
Callum

Poll: Do you wear your tin foil hats when posting on here?

Fortuna Dusseldorf in May! on 18:58 - Feb 13 with 1663 viewsLord_Lucan

I'm not from Dusseldorf but a load of us went last year for my 50th. The place to drink is The Altstadt, they reckon there are 300 bars on one street, I didn't believe it and I think I was right - I reckon there are a lot more. Didn't see any bars near the stadium, get a taxi. Our taxi driver waited for us until the game finished (I suspect he went to the game) Under 10 Euros a ticket (pre order and collect from Tourist Information Office). Cracking atmosphere, drink and smoke in the ground, no bar queues and if peeps find out you are from Ipswich they will treat you like royalty. We all wore Mick McCarthy masks and had a ball.

Enjoy.

Edit. From memory Cologne airport was nearer to Dusseldorf than Dusseldorf airport and it was a simple train ride.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2017 19:06]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Fortuna Dusseldorf in May! on 19:07 - Feb 13 with 1635 viewsKingPablo

Fortuna Dusseldorf in May! on 18:58 - Feb 13 by Lord_Lucan

I'm not from Dusseldorf but a load of us went last year for my 50th. The place to drink is The Altstadt, they reckon there are 300 bars on one street, I didn't believe it and I think I was right - I reckon there are a lot more. Didn't see any bars near the stadium, get a taxi. Our taxi driver waited for us until the game finished (I suspect he went to the game) Under 10 Euros a ticket (pre order and collect from Tourist Information Office). Cracking atmosphere, drink and smoke in the ground, no bar queues and if peeps find out you are from Ipswich they will treat you like royalty. We all wore Mick McCarthy masks and had a ball.

Enjoy.

Edit. From memory Cologne airport was nearer to Dusseldorf than Dusseldorf airport and it was a simple train ride.

Cheers Lucan. I'll be giving Altstadt a look. What was the average price for beer in city mate?

Fortuna Dusseldorf in May! on 19:10 - Feb 13 with 1627 viewsLord_Lucan

Fortuna Dusseldorf in May! on 19:07 - Feb 13 by KingPablo

Cheers Lucan. I'll be giving Altstadt a look. What was the average price for beer in city mate?

I can't remember mate, relatively cheap from memory (3 euro??)

There is a nice riverside bar area that you can walk through whilst going to the revolving tower thing. It was cold and closed when we went but May will be ok. I liked the tower but half our lot got vertigo so we had a beer and split.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Fortuna Dusseldorf in May! on 19:15 - Feb 13 with 1612 viewsKingPablo

Fortuna Dusseldorf in May! on 19:10 - Feb 13 by Lord_Lucan

There is a nice riverside bar area that you can walk through whilst going to the revolving tower thing. It was cold and closed when we went but May will be ok. I liked the tower but half our lot got vertigo so we had a beer and split.

She's already booked the Rheinturm, I'll certainly have my town shirt on during the match 😉

Fortuna Dusseldorf in May! on 19:23 - Feb 13 with 1595 viewsTractorWood

Fortuna Dusseldorf in May! on 19:10 - Feb 13 by Lord_Lucan

I've been to Dusseldorf a few times. It is one of my favourite places. Drink in the Altstadt, the Schlussel is well worth a look for beers.

The riverside place is decent where Lucan recommends too. I went during Halloween one year as me and a few mates were going to watch Schalke (until they moved the game for TV), it was an amazing night out, almost day light when we got in.

I'm biased as I speak a bit of German though. Am going to Dortmund in March for the England game, can't wait.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2017 19:25]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Fortuna Dusseldorf in May! on 19:52 - Feb 13 with 1533 viewsBasuco

I think there is a car museum and these below, get a travel card for all public transport they are very cheap and just go for a ride and general walk round where ever you get off. It is a lovely City I am sure you will both have a great time.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=opera&q=10+things+to+do+in+dusseldorf&sou
Fortuna Dusseldorf in May! on 22:17 - Feb 13 with 1427 viewseastwell_blue

Fortuna Dusseldorf in May! on 18:58 - Feb 13 by Lord_Lucan

Enjoy.

It was a fine venue but spoilt - as are all German grounds - by the smoking. Surprising that Germany allows this in 2017
Fortuna Dusseldorf in May! on 22:23 - Feb 13 with 1411 viewsLord_Lucan

Fortuna Dusseldorf in May! on 22:17 - Feb 13 by eastwell_blue

It was a fine venue but spoilt - as are all German grounds - by the smoking. Surprising that Germany allows this in 2017

They gave up fascism circa 1945

Login to get fewer ads

Fortuna Dusseldorf in May! on 22:34 - Feb 13 with 1363 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Fortuna Dusseldorf in May! on 22:17 - Feb 13 by eastwell_blue

Germany were the first country in Europe to ban smoking in pubs, weren't they?

I personally think that smoking in stadiums enhances the match day experience.

Poll: Best Football Song

Fortuna Dusseldorf in May! on 22:37 - Feb 13 with 1357 viewsAdmiralFunge

Fortuna Dusseldorf in May! on 22:34 - Feb 13 by RoyKeanesDog

Without going all Nick Hornby about it, smoking was absolutely part of the football experience growing up, you know?

All the old boys in Churchmans puffing away furiously, Klix chewing gum, jumpers for goalposts etc etc.

Poll: Danny Karbassiyoon, or Kim Karbasheran?

Fortuna Dusseldorf in May! on 22:41 - Feb 13 with 1340 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Fortuna Dusseldorf in May! on 22:37 - Feb 13 by AdmiralFunge

Without going all Nick Hornby about it, smoking was absolutely part of the football experience growing up, you know?

All the old boys in Churchmans puffing away furiously, Klix chewing gum, jumpers for goalposts etc etc.

Feel free to go as Nick Hornby as you like when talking to me mate!

Jumpers for goalposts reminded me of Ron Manager too, so thanks!

Poll: Best Football Song

Fortuna Dusseldorf in May! on 22:42 - Feb 13 with 1336 viewsLord_Lucan

Fortuna Dusseldorf in May! on 22:34 - Feb 13 by RoyKeanesDog

Ireland were the first country in the world to ban smoking. Germany is done on a local state basis and you can still smoke in bars in certain districts.

Fortuna Dusseldorf in May! on 22:43 - Feb 13 with 1332 viewsReuser_is_God

Fortuna Dusseldorf in May! on 22:37 - Feb 13 by AdmiralFunge

I hate smoking but the smell of smoke in the churchmans was beautiful.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024