Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Car Insurance Help! 12:58 - May 30 with 2363 viewsA90sblue

Hopefully someone can help that works in car insurance, as the telephone centres can’t.

Car Insurance due 11th June

Move house 20th June

All the insurance companies are saying that you have to take the policy out at your current address then ring up to change it once moved, however none will confirm what the new price will be -- surely, they could and will just charge a shed load more! as I would only just have renewed with them.

Anybody else every had this issue?
Car Insurance Help! on 13:14 - May 30 with 2324 viewsEastTownBlue

Depends how their IT system works as it might not cope with making a change on a policy which hasn't taken effect.

Most companies will quite happily charge a £25 fee (or similar) for making that change. As policies have a 14 day cooling off period it might be worth exploring the small print of your policy wording.
Car Insurance Help! on 13:26 - May 30 with 2295 viewsBluJu

Strange that they cannot quote you at the new address. But it could be more, or less, depending on the area. A fixed fee will no doubt be charged for any material change to the policy, £15 or more.

You could in the event of it being outlandishly worse, cancel your policy (at slight loss to take into account the prorata amount for insurance you've had from 11th to 20th) and get better quotes. If it changes because of the area though, then all quotes will surely be higher anyway.

Get them to tell you what you would be charged if you cancelled at that point. You are still within a 14 day period on the 20th, which presumably is counted as a "cooling off" period? (not sure)

Have you tried getting an online quote from the new address as if living there now?
Car Insurance Help! on 13:33 - May 30 with 2267 viewsPendejo

Use one of the insurance comparison websites and that will give you an idea.

Can't believe they won't give you a "what if" quote... insurance industry these days seems harder than the one I left in the 90s, where we would cancel with pro-rata refunds and no admin or cancellation fees... but I guess that's how an old British company came to be owned by the French

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Car Insurance Help! on 13:35 - May 30 with 2255 viewsJimmyJazz

Can't you do an online quote at the new address to see the difference? So, online quote at current address, online quote at new address. Compare the two results

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Car Insurance Help! on 13:38 - May 30 with 2250 viewsAdam

I work in car insurance and most insurers wont quote for a change of address as it changes your client profile immediately rather than on the date of the change.

The price would be rated based on that address so potentially the change of address can reduce the premium.

What I would suggest is to do a new quote with the same company online and see the price that comes out and then change it on the renewal and see the difference. With most companies if you accept the renewal and then have a better quote online with that same company they wont charge an admin fee for cancelling because 'your keeping your business with that company' so it would be a simple fact of paying the pro rata price from 11th to the 20th and then taking out the new quote

Hope this helps and makes sense
Car Insurance Help! on 14:08 - May 30 with 2205 viewsMJallday

your car insurance is due on the 11th. at that time you must have valid insurance for your current address.

on the 20th when you move, tell them your new address. they have a responsibility to change it instantly - as it will update the PNC.

your insurance may go up depending on the area - but if your staying in the same down its likely to only be a couple of quid - if anything. it could as easily go down.

you can always go online and requote. aslso bear in mind all insurance (if you pay direct debit) is subject to 14/28 day cooling off, so you can always swap....
[Post edited 30 May 2017 14:09]

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Car Insurance Help! on 14:38 - May 30 with 2180 viewsA90sblue

Car Insurance Help! on 13:38 - May 30 by Adam

I work in car insurance and most insurers wont quote for a change of address as it changes your client profile immediately rather than on the date of the change.

The price would be rated based on that address so potentially the change of address can reduce the premium.

What I would suggest is to do a new quote with the same company online and see the price that comes out and then change it on the renewal and see the difference. With most companies if you accept the renewal and then have a better quote online with that same company they wont charge an admin fee for cancelling because 'your keeping your business with that company' so it would be a simple fact of paying the pro rata price from 11th to the 20th and then taking out the new quote

Hope this helps and makes sense

Thank you for the responses, the online quotes for the new address are coming up fine for now but they won't honour or hold that price. So I'm concerned when I ring up and change the address they can then say well today's price for doing that is £150 more then what today's price is.
Which unless I cancel the policy and pay what ever charges they chuck at you as well as the 9 days cover I would have had, just thought there would be an easier way to sort it. Where you have abit more control over what the final price will be.
Car Insurance Help! on 15:51 - May 30 with 2132 viewsbluevein

As a consumer, you have 14days to cancel a policy from renewal, subject to no claims.

That said they will charge an admin fee, but the refund will be pro-rata.

Renew and if the mess you about just cancel and go elsewhere. Check the admin fee first.
Login to get fewer ads

Car Insurance Help! on 15:59 - May 30 with 2120 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Car Insurance Help! on 14:38 - May 30 by A90sblue

Thank you for the responses, the online quotes for the new address are coming up fine for now but they won't honour or hold that price. So I'm concerned when I ring up and change the address they can then say well today's price for doing that is £150 more then what today's price is.
Which unless I cancel the policy and pay what ever charges they chuck at you as well as the 9 days cover I would have had, just thought there would be an easier way to sort it. Where you have abit more control over what the final price will be.

To be honest I think your concerns are more based around scepticism of the insurance market than anything else

As others have suggested, postcode will be used as a risk factor to generate the price. In addition, some companies now will be using enhanced analytics to group customers (which would include postcode) and provide more tailored rates. As insurers will constantly review the risk rating factors, the refusal to guarantee a price is simply the fact that they don't know if their risk price will change - not that they will deliberately screw you over

Best course of action is to make sure you understand if any admin fees apply for changes or cancellations within the cooling off period. If not (or if small enough not to worry about), then renew and re-quote when the time comes - either the price will be fine or you can cancel, get your money back and find someone else to insure with

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024