Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wotcha! Marathon training update... 12:50 - Jun 28 with 11945 viewsunbelievablue

Thought I'd check in and provide an update on the marathon training, as a few of you have asked on other platforms and I received a number of lovely PMs when I took a brief hiatus from the site the other week.

Been an up and down time recently. When tragic events affect your mental health quite markedly, it can be difficult not to spiral. There is also a feeling of great guilt in your mental well-being having been changed by something like the tragedy at Grenfell tower. That is to say, I have not been personally, tangibly affected by the tragedy, and people have lost their lives and their homes, so why do I have any right to be emotionally affected? It is difficult to come to terms with that guilt.

On a brighter note, the training continues in earnest for my marathon (Athens, in November, to raise money for MIND). Yesterday evening I found a running track near Catford and paid the princely sum of £2.70 to use it, with the aim of smashing my 5km PB. As anyone who has trained for a marathon before will surely know, mixing up the routine is key: although longer runs, and hill runs, are paramount, it's important to throw in some shorter, more explosive workouts too. I was dead pleased with my time, which might not look much on the face of it, but for someone still flirting with 15.5 stone, is decent enough.

The PB:

Here's the JustGiving Link, if anyone is kind enough to support: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/josh-edwards-athensmarathon2017

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 09:10 - Jul 2 with 3043 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I hope that it is not overstepping the mark to suggest that being empathic with the suffering of others has no reason to be associated with guilt. Try and see it as a positive as it makes you 'human' to feel for others. It can however be mentally painful in my experience but personally I would never want to lose that empathy as difficult as it may be to bear !
Keep on running.....good luck !

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 09:11 - Jul 2 with 3040 viewsGlasgowBlue

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 09:03 - Jul 2 by unbelievablue

I was like that until I realised that without proper prep, stretching, warm-downs etc., I wouldn't be able to clock the miles I need. After a 10km or longer I can't run the next day, and sometimes I need to.

Touch wood I've had no ill effects with the way I do things.

As I was saying in another thread, I'm aiming for 1000 miles this year and needed 100 miles for the month of June. With less than a week to go I found myself on just 57 miles so had to really hit it for the final five days of the month.

Bloody mindedness seems to get me through.

I was watching a documentary on Eddie Izzard when he was doing his marathons. He was having ice cold baths right after a run to repair muscle damage.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 11:11 - Jul 2 with 3018 viewsgerard1947

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 09:11 - Jul 2 by GlasgowBlue

Touch wood I've had no ill effects with the way I do things.

As I was saying in another thread, I'm aiming for 1000 miles this year and needed 100 miles for the month of June. With less than a week to go I found myself on just 57 miles so had to really hit it for the final five days of the month.

Bloody mindedness seems to get me through.

I was watching a documentary on Eddie Izzard when he was doing his marathons. He was having ice cold baths right after a run to repair muscle damage.

I probably overdid it at one stage. I did a half marathon every week of the season with a few full marathons in between. It was certainly addictive, I ran everyday, I wasn't happy unless I got my long run of 15 -20 miles each week.

I had programme and would stick to it come what may. Several years back I was training hard for London with tendonitis in both Achilles. I would hobble for the first mile or so, as they warmed up they felt fine. I completed London in a decent time for me. As I tapered over the following couple of weeks my problems really started. I ended up on crutches for 6 months.

It took a year with lots of physio to get over it. Luckily I'm still able to knock a few miles out, albeit a lot slower. Still not bad for an old un.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2017 11:13]
Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 11:32 - Jul 2 with 3011 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 11:11 - Jul 2 by gerard1947

I probably overdid it at one stage. I did a half marathon every week of the season with a few full marathons in between. It was certainly addictive, I ran everyday, I wasn't happy unless I got my long run of 15 -20 miles each week.

I had programme and would stick to it come what may. Several years back I was training hard for London with tendonitis in both Achilles. I would hobble for the first mile or so, as they warmed up they felt fine. I completed London in a decent time for me. As I tapered over the following couple of weeks my problems really started. I ended up on crutches for 6 months.

It took a year with lots of physio to get over it. Luckily I'm still able to knock a few miles out, albeit a lot slower. Still not bad for an old un.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2017 11:13]

Think I'll stick to the bird spotting!

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 19:28 - Jul 2 with 2974 viewsTLA

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 09:09 - Jun 29 by unbelievablue

Thanks.

On a side note, anyone have any tips for overcoming leg soreness, over and above resting and stretching? It is holding me back a little.

Where abouts is the soreness? If it's shins and lower leg, keeping them elevated and putting ice on them should help. Generally, icing or submerging in cold water helps the muscles after sport more than hot baths, although it doesn't feel as nice!

Although it's boring, walking for a while and then stretching before a long run and icing or cooling muscles after is what many runners recommend.
Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 08:40 - Jul 3 with 2942 viewsunbelievablue

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 19:28 - Jul 2 by TLA

Where abouts is the soreness? If it's shins and lower leg, keeping them elevated and putting ice on them should help. Generally, icing or submerging in cold water helps the muscles after sport more than hot baths, although it doesn't feel as nice!

Although it's boring, walking for a while and then stretching before a long run and icing or cooling muscles after is what many runners recommend.

Thanks mate. Usually it's shins.

Nowadays, instead of running from the flat, I'll walk a decent distance first with some stretching.

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 14:31 - Jul 3 with 2907 viewsITFC1983

84% of the target acheived! To wrongly quote Mick - Come on you f**ckers!

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/josh-edwards-athensmarathon2017

Poll: £16m Mario Balotelli or £11m Ross McCormack or £FREE* David McGoldrick

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 08:07 - Jul 4 with 2863 viewsITFC1983

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 14:31 - Jul 3 by ITFC1983

84% of the target acheived! To wrongly quote Mick - Come on you f**ckers!

BUMPETY

Login to get fewer ads

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 08:30 - Jul 5 with 2832 viewsITFC1983

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 09:41 - Jul 6 with 2803 viewsITFC1983

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 10:21 - Jul 6 with 2789 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

You used all 8 lanes then judging by the map.....looks like your legs were turning to jelly . Good luck !

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 10:22 - Jul 6 with 2787 viewsunbelievablue

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 10:21 - Jul 6 by BanksterDebtSlave

You used all 8 lanes then judging by the map.....looks like your legs were turning to jelly . Good luck !

Ha, there were other people on the track!

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 15:32 - Jul 7 with 2759 viewsITFC1983

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024