Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Athens Marathon: Update 15:43 - Aug 17 with 3245 viewsunbelievablue

Hello folks.

I thought I'd provide a brief update for those of you so kind to have donated to my Just Giving, and also those of you offering words of encouragement and motivation.

For anyone unaware, In November, a few days after my 27th birthday, I'm running the Athens Marathon for Mind, the mental health charity. I don't think there are many people in my life who aren't aware that I have suffered, in the past, from crippling depression and incapacitating anxiety. I've suffered, but so many more continue to suffer. This is my tiny way of giving something back. By raising much needed funds, but also, and perhaps more importantly, contributing to the growing and opinion-changing discourse around mental health issues, I am doing all I can to help.

I've had a bit of a blip in terms of training the last month or so. It's been a very busy period more than anything else, with some stressful and difficult times at work, and, more positively, having somehow found a girlfriend(!). Nevertheless, after some introspection and more structured forward planning, I am back in the game and very much looking forward to my final 3 months of training. I am going to smash it and do each and every donation proud.

Quite incredibly, my Just Giving page has reached £900, 90% of my £1000 target. I choose my words carefully here. Originally I had typed 'I have raised', but in reality, that seems somewhat disingenuous. I've done nothing other than write a couple of blog posts and share my link online.

It is you guys who deserve all the credit and all my sincere thanks.

You have been truly inspirational, and each and every message of support and motivation I've received has been truly special. Please keep them coming, I've only 82 days before the big day.

#TimeToChange

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/josh-edwards-athensmarathon2017
[Post edited 17 Aug 2017 15:46]

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Athens Marathon: Update on 15:51 - Aug 17 with 3222 viewsitfcjoe

Good luck with the final stint of training - had noted you haven't been popping up on Strava much and was going to drop you a message to see how it was going but no need now.

I haven't sponsored yet, will do nearer the time once I've got stag dos and weddings out of the way!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Athens Marathon: Update on 15:53 - Aug 17 with 3213 viewsascott11

Good luck, heard it's pretty much uphill until 30k, but the last 12k is the easy bit anyway ;)
Athens Marathon: Update on 16:33 - Aug 17 with 3177 viewsunbelievablue

Athens Marathon: Update on 15:51 - Aug 17 by itfcjoe

Good luck with the final stint of training - had noted you haven't been popping up on Strava much and was going to drop you a message to see how it was going but no need now.

I haven't sponsored yet, will do nearer the time once I've got stag dos and weddings out of the way!

Yeah, I've been a bit rubbish, but I'm doing a hard-ish 5km tonight to get back into the swing of things, and a 10km Saturday morning :).

Athens Marathon: Update on 16:34 - Aug 17 with 3175 viewsitfcjoe

Athens Marathon: Update on 16:33 - Aug 17 by unbelievablue

Yeah, I've been a bit rubbish, but I'm doing a hard-ish 5km tonight to get back into the swing of things, and a 10km Saturday morning :).

I've got my twilight 10k on Friday evening so looking forward to getting that done!

Athens Marathon: Update on 16:35 - Aug 17 with 3171 viewsunbelievablue

Athens Marathon: Update on 16:34 - Aug 17 by itfcjoe

I've got my twilight 10k on Friday evening so looking forward to getting that done!

Sub 1hr?

Athens Marathon: Update on 16:40 - Aug 17 with 3162 viewsitfcjoe

Athens Marathon: Update on 16:35 - Aug 17 by unbelievablue

Sub 1hr?

That's the goal - i should be able to and am on pace to through training. Will be disappointed if I don't.

What are you hoping for tonight and Saturday

Athens Marathon: Update on 17:00 - Aug 17 with 3142 viewsunbelievablue

Athens Marathon: Update on 16:40 - Aug 17 by itfcjoe

That's the goal - i should be able to and am on pace to through training. Will be disappointed if I don't.

Sub 30minutes tonight, sub 1hr Saturday. I have had a heavy few weeks!

Best of luck. Will you strava the race?
[Post edited 17 Aug 2017 17:00]

Athens Marathon: Update on 18:38 - Aug 17 with 3113 viewsitfcjoe

Athens Marathon: Update on 17:00 - Aug 17 by unbelievablue

Sub 30minutes tonight, sub 1hr Saturday. I have had a heavy few weeks!

Best of luck. Will you strava the race?
[Post edited 17 Aug 2017 17:00]

Yep, my new Garmin watch automatically uploads to it - no hiding place if I fail!

Login to get fewer ads

Athens Marathon: Update on 19:28 - Aug 17 with 3086 viewsTractorWood

Athens Marathon: Update on 18:38 - Aug 17 by itfcjoe

Yep, my new Garmin watch automatically uploads to it - no hiding place if I fail!

I trust you are enjoying the new Garmin? I missed the boat in the Twilight 10k but have a few around Cambridge and then doing the Bury half in October.

Will you do a half in the next few months? A sub hour 10k is good territory. Your progress appears strong. I can heartedly recommend a proper sports massage, horrendously painful but excellent for the legs.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Athens Marathon: Update on 20:03 - Aug 17 with 3072 viewsitfcjoe

Athens Marathon: Update on 19:28 - Aug 17 by TractorWood

I trust you are enjoying the new Garmin? I missed the boat in the Twilight 10k but have a few around Cambridge and then doing the Bury half in October.

Will you do a half in the next few months? A sub hour 10k is good territory. Your progress appears strong. I can heartedly recommend a proper sports massage, horrendously painful but excellent for the legs.

Yep, not really sure I am getting most out of it currently but it is a good bit of kit - hopefully it can help me become a better runner over time

I haven't got a half booked, but would like to get 5k and 10k really nailed down over the winter and try one in spring - was planning on waiting until Ipswich half next year but that feels too far away as keen to crack on now

Considering trying to join a running club of some sort - Ipswich Jaffa and Rushmere Community Runners are close by and should help me kick on. Or find a really good programme to follow online in my own time to improve

Athens Marathon: Update on 22:04 - Aug 17 with 3039 viewsTractorWood

Athens Marathon: Update on 20:03 - Aug 17 by itfcjoe

Yep, not really sure I am getting most out of it currently but it is a good bit of kit - hopefully it can help me become a better runner over time

I haven't got a half booked, but would like to get 5k and 10k really nailed down over the winter and try one in spring - was planning on waiting until Ipswich half next year but that feels too far away as keen to crack on now

Considering trying to join a running club of some sort - Ipswich Jaffa and Rushmere Community Runners are close by and should help me kick on. Or find a really good programme to follow online in my own time to improve

Cambridge half is March. A very popular and fast event. A good incentive to stay fit over the winter. I'm a member of a club but rarely go to their training, I will do in the winter as I can use the track.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Athens Marathon: Update on 22:08 - Aug 17 with 3037 viewsascott11

Athens Marathon: Update on 20:03 - Aug 17 by itfcjoe

Jaffa should help you out. If anything it will be motivation to get the run done, which is half the battle.

Race wise, use their fixture list - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=vrn8e6ccv8s3bup3nj4igo5sho@group.

Felixstowe 10mi, Martlesham 10k / Peterborough Half are all flat and quick. Spring wise there are loads of races like Cambridge Half, which should suit.
Athens Marathon: Update on 13:36 - Aug 18 with 2966 viewsunbelievablue

Athens Marathon: Update on 16:40 - Aug 17 by itfcjoe

Got in done in 26mins which is a miracle given recent digressions.

Athens Marathon: Update on 13:39 - Aug 18 with 2962 viewsitfcjoe

Athens Marathon: Update on 13:36 - Aug 18 by unbelievablue

Got in done in 26mins which is a miracle given recent digressions.

That's bloody good - I did a Park Run in 26.18 a couple back, but run so much faster with other people around than on my tod so to push yourself to that is good going.

Good luck with your 10k tomorrow

Athens Marathon: Update on 13:41 - Aug 18 with 2955 viewsitfcjoe

Athens Marathon: Update on 22:08 - Aug 17 by ascott11

Jaffa should help you out. If anything it will be motivation to get the run done, which is half the battle.

Race wise, use their fixture list - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=vrn8e6ccv8s3bup3nj4igo5sho@group.

Felixstowe 10mi, Martlesham 10k / Peterborough Half are all flat and quick. Spring wise there are loads of races like Cambridge Half, which should suit.

Thanks to you and TractorWood - I'll speak to a friend who runs with jaffa in next few days but tempted to join up to help kick on and he speaks very highly of it

Was tempted by Colchester one but Missus is doing Monuments one in London that day - that's full but could do it with a charity place and earn some money for them. Will see how it goes!

Athens Marathon: Update on 13:43 - Aug 18 with 2949 viewsunbelievablue

Athens Marathon: Update on 13:39 - Aug 18 by itfcjoe

That's bloody good - I did a Park Run in 26.18 a couple back, but run so much faster with other people around than on my tod so to push yourself to that is good going.

Good luck with your 10k tomorrow

Cheers, I think my legs have remembered they can run and a decent rest has helped them.

A sub 1hr 10km will be more difficult tomorrow but I am tempted to run it at the local track so at least it would be flat.

Athens Marathon: Update on 09:58 - Aug 21 with 2883 viewsITFC1983

Poll: £16m Mario Balotelli or £11m Ross McCormack or £FREE* David McGoldrick

Athens Marathon: Update on 15:18 - Aug 21 with 2858 viewsITFC1983

B U M P - Donate below ↓

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/josh-edwards-athensmarathon2017

Poll: £16m Mario Balotelli or £11m Ross McCormack or £FREE* David McGoldrick

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024