Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fantastic piece on the Uber controv. 16:55 - Sep 25 with 2497 viewsSuperfrans

Not the shortest piece ever posted, but an excellent summary of the situation.

https://www.londonreconnections.com/2017/understanding-uber-not-app/

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Fantastic piece on the Uber controv. on 17:18 - Sep 25 with 2467 viewsNo9

I don't recall ever having used Uber & listening to the problems being flagged up around the world relative to their modus operandi I'm not sure I want to?
Fantastic piece on the Uber controv. on 07:53 - Sep 26 with 2344 viewsSteve_M

Yep, London Reconnections is generally excellent written with a level of geekiness that surpasses even football supporters.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Fantastic piece on the Uber controv. on 09:31 - Sep 26 with 2310 viewsStokieBlue

Has there been an explanation why no other city in the UK is banning them? In fact Manchester said they wouldn't even look at the issue until 2021 when their licence expires.

That would seem to indicate there is a fundamental difference of opinion between TFL and other local authorities.

SB
[Post edited 26 Sep 2017 9:39]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Fantastic piece on the Uber controv. on 09:44 - Sep 26 with 2295 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Fantastic piece on the Uber controv. on 09:31 - Sep 26 by StokieBlue

Has there been an explanation why no other city in the UK is banning them? In fact Manchester said they wouldn't even look at the issue until 2021 when their licence expires.

That would seem to indicate there is a fundamental difference of opinion between TFL and other local authorities.

SB

It says in the article that Londons licence expires this month, so they're not being banned, just not renewed.

I have no sympathy for a company that sets itself up to pay no corporation tax or VAT in order to undercut and put an existing workforce out of work. None whatsoever.
Fantastic piece on the Uber controv. on 09:45 - Sep 26 with 2292 viewsSteve_M

SB

That piece strongly implies it was the concerns of the Met Police and Uber's refusal to do anything to alleviate those concerns. It might also be that the re-licensing opportunity was the appropriate time to review Uber's operations.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Fantastic piece on the Uber controv. on 09:54 - Sep 26 with 2277 viewsNo9

SB

Uber haver significant problems in other countries -

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/uber-ban-countries-where-wor
Fantastic piece on the Uber controv. on 09:56 - Sep 26 with 2271 viewsFifeITFC

Fantastic piece on the Uber controv. on 09:45 - Sep 26 by Steve_M

That piece strongly implies it was the concerns of the Met Police and Uber's refusal to do anything to alleviate those concerns. It might also be that the re-licensing opportunity was the appropriate time to review Uber's operations.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/uber-drivers-accused-of-32-rapes-and-sex-at

Not to mention stuff like this above, and there failure to properly report or follow allegations up, as well as insufficiently checking their drivers records out.

Then there is this reliance on technology that is just looking at Google maps (not Sat nav) and continually going the wrong way down one way streets.

One of my friends was hit by an Uber going the wrong way because he was using the technology of a computer map blissfully unaware of what roads were (legally) accessible.

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

Fantastic piece on the Uber controv. on 09:57 - Sep 26 with 2270 viewsStokieBlue

Fantastic piece on the Uber controv. on 09:45 - Sep 26 by Steve_M

Fair enough.

They do need to review their working practices and fall in line with regulations but it would be a shame to lose them completely and go back to the black cab cartel who decide your trip isn't worth the effort half the time.

I still think that using an app is safer than a black cab or minicab with the sharing of the ride with whoever you want.

Uber seem to realise they need to change their practices so am sure it will all be sorted out soon enough.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

Fantastic piece on the Uber controv. on 10:50 - Sep 26 with 2243 viewsFifeITFC

Fantastic piece on the Uber controv. on 09:57 - Sep 26 by StokieBlue

Fair enough.

They do need to review their working practices and fall in line with regulations but it would be a shame to lose them completely and go back to the black cab cartel who decide your trip isn't worth the effort half the time.

I still think that using an app is safer than a black cab or minicab with the sharing of the ride with whoever you want.

Uber seem to realise they need to change their practices so am sure it will all be sorted out soon enough.

SB

But Black Cabs have their own app, much like Uber. They take card payments too. They're regulated and I've never had issues using them.

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

Fantastic piece on the Uber controv. on 12:40 - Sep 26 with 2196 viewsTractorWood

Fair enough.

SB

Yeah agreed. I've used Uber all over the world, I find it particularly genius in countries were licenced taxis are widely known as dodgy. In Nice taxi drivers are known to charge €50 for a 10 minute journey and it avoids endless haggling or drivers not giving (sometimes not insignificant amounts) of change back to tourists in bits of say Indonesia or south east Asia.

Uber have been denied a licence in London for some shady practices that need sorting out, which they of course will. I don't understand the people who are interpreting this as some kind of swashbuckling win for black cabbies. As you say, taxi attacks existed before Uber and won't go away with their renewal denial.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2017 12:42]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Fantastic piece on the Uber controv. on 13:40 - Sep 26 with 2167 viewsSuperfrans

SB

The piece I posted answers those questions.

Fantastic piece on the Uber controv. on 13:44 - Sep 26 with 2160 viewsSuperfrans

Fair enough.

SB

1. Uber is not replacing the black cabs, as much as it is replacing the mini-cab network. And the black cabs are not a cartel, there is plenty of competition for them in London.
2. both the black cabs and many mini-cabs have their own apps - in fact the piece posted highlights that the Uber app was inspired by the black cabs' Hailo app. My nearest minicab firm, Goldline, has an app just as good as Ubers' which tracks the car to your door, or whereevr you are. But they are a locally owned, locally based firm.
3. Uber were given four months to address the issues raised. The didn't address them, which is why they haven't been given a new licence.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2017 13:45]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024