Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pretty depressing, horrible stuff 08:58 - Sep 29 with 4195 viewsgordon

Not a very nice way to treat chickens, and not a very nice way to treat people either:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/sep/28/blood-sweat-deceit-west-midland
Pretty depressing, horrible stuff on 09:47 - Sep 29 with 4133 viewsSteve_M

On a similar theme, this was interesting and more positive:

https://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21729544-new-book-about-rise-cheap-

Telling that Harris says consumer awareness and preference has changed so people are willing to pay more for better produced food.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Pretty depressing, horrible stuff on 09:55 - Sep 29 with 4115 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

.......yes, but what the markets need is less regulation !

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Pretty depressing, horrible stuff on 10:17 - Sep 29 with 4093 viewshampstead_blue

strange coincidence in that I watched the documentary 'Cowspiracy' past night.

I'm with you on this one.
What with the welfare and wider impact, there needs to be a wake-up call.

I just wish I could give up meat! I may cut down though.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Pretty depressing, horrible stuff on 10:26 - Sep 29 with 4081 viewsHarry_Palmer

Disgusting stuff. People often scoff and ridicule when I talk about only buying locally sourced organic meat like I'm some sort of snob. Well to me its common sense, eat less meat but buy better quality. You buy the cheap sh!t and you increase your chances of ill health.
Pretty depressing, horrible stuff on 10:49 - Sep 29 with 4046 viewsgerard1947

Pretty depressing, horrible stuff on 10:17 - Sep 29 by hampstead_blue

strange coincidence in that I watched the documentary 'Cowspiracy' past night.

I'm with you on this one.
What with the welfare and wider impact, there needs to be a wake-up call.

I just wish I could give up meat! I may cut down though.

Not as hard as you think, plenty of alternatives. You would miss the taste for a bit, that soon goes. I felt a lot better almost immediately, certainly not tired as some said I would. I have a well balanced veggie diet. I don't take vitamins or supplements, I don't need them.

I can tackle hard, manual tasks. I've run several marathons, numerous half marathons, long distance 50 mile walks and the 3 peak challenge. Most of these In my 50s and 60s, all on "rabbit food"!
Pretty depressing, horrible stuff on 11:51 - Sep 29 with 4001 viewshampstead_blue

Pretty depressing, horrible stuff on 10:49 - Sep 29 by gerard1947

Not as hard as you think, plenty of alternatives. You would miss the taste for a bit, that soon goes. I felt a lot better almost immediately, certainly not tired as some said I would. I have a well balanced veggie diet. I don't take vitamins or supplements, I don't need them.

I can tackle hard, manual tasks. I've run several marathons, numerous half marathons, long distance 50 mile walks and the 3 peak challenge. Most of these In my 50s and 60s, all on "rabbit food"!

just spoke to Mrs Hampstead on this one.

We are going to go for a 'meat free monday'.

Wish I could run, old war wounds stop me! I'll be tabbing behind you.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.

Pretty depressing, horrible stuff on 12:03 - Sep 29 with 3990 viewsWeWereZombies

Good grief, I've been insisting on free range for a decade now but sometimes regretting my pickiness. Quite vindicated by the post. The description of the hot water hosing off of all the parts not for packing gives a visceral meaning to 'race to the bottom'...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Pretty depressing, horrible stuff on 12:05 - Sep 29 with 3984 viewsblue_oyster

A typical Guardian article, which despises honest hard work, and the people that have to carry it out, and happy to describe them as 'lowest of the low'.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Login to get fewer ads

Pretty depressing, horrible stuff on 12:07 - Sep 29 with 3976 viewsWeWereZombies

Pretty depressing, horrible stuff on 12:05 - Sep 29 by blue_oyster

A typical Guardian article, which despises honest hard work, and the people that have to carry it out, and happy to describe them as 'lowest of the low'.

Well, I guess they got the 'lowest of the low' wrong, thanks for reminding us where trolls sit in the hierarchy...

Pretty depressing, horrible stuff on 12:18 - Sep 29 with 3950 viewshampstead_blue

Pretty depressing, horrible stuff on 12:05 - Sep 29 by blue_oyster

I don't think it was partonising to those workers.

In some ways it showed they had a spine and grit. There is a passage were the reporter is shocked that the worker will rock-up the next day.

Interesting also that there is a lack of British workers there. Have we lost our spine and work ethic? These jobs are menial, yes, but we all have to start somewhere.

Many of us have had jobs we wouldn't do again.

The reporter is doffing his cap, not being disparaging.

Pretty depressing, horrible stuff on 12:55 - Sep 29 with 3918 viewsblue_oyster

Pretty depressing, horrible stuff on 12:18 - Sep 29 by hampstead_blue

I don't think it was partonising to those workers.

In some ways it showed they had a spine and grit. There is a passage were the reporter is shocked that the worker will rock-up the next day.

Interesting also that there is a lack of British workers there. Have we lost our spine and work ethic? These jobs are menial, yes, but we all have to start somewhere.

Many of us have had jobs we wouldn't do again.

The reporter is doffing his cap, not being disparaging.

It is indeed interesting that British factory workers are a rarity. But not surprising since we are now taught that factory jobs are beneath us, and we all have to go to university instead. Immigrants from other countries who have not been taught this are happy to take up this seemingly impossible work. How *do* they do it, eh?

Pretty depressing, horrible stuff on 13:05 - Sep 29 with 3899 viewsWeWereZombies

Pretty depressing, horrible stuff on 12:55 - Sep 29 by blue_oyster

It is indeed interesting that British factory workers are a rarity. But not surprising since we are now taught that factory jobs are beneath us, and we all have to go to university instead. Immigrants from other countries who have not been taught this are happy to take up this seemingly impossible work. How *do* they do it, eh?

Well, the Polish orchard workers I knew did by working in the summer holidays and then going back to Poland after apple picking was over so that they could resume their university studies...
[Post edited 29 Sep 2017 13:50]

Pretty depressing, horrible stuff on 13:29 - Sep 29 with 3876 viewsblue_oyster

Pretty depressing, horrible stuff on 13:05 - Sep 29 by WeWereZombies

Well, the Polish orchard workers I knew did by working in the summer holidays and then going back to Poland after apple picking was over so that they could resume their university studies...
[Post edited 29 Sep 2017 13:50]

Two posts, and still no point. You are indeed the master of TWTD.

Pretty depressing, horrible stuff on 13:37 - Sep 29 with 3865 viewsWeWereZombies

Pretty depressing, horrible stuff on 13:29 - Sep 29 by blue_oyster

Two posts, and still no point. You are indeed the master of TWTD.

Or just not the points you want to hear?

Pretty depressing, horrible stuff on 13:58 - Sep 29 with 3839 viewsblue_oyster

Pretty depressing, horrible stuff on 13:37 - Sep 29 by WeWereZombies

Or just not the points you want to hear?

Congratulations, you win the match ball.

Pretty depressing, horrible stuff on 15:46 - Sep 29 with 3790 viewsgerard1947

Pretty depressing, horrible stuff on 11:51 - Sep 29 by hampstead_blue

just spoke to Mrs Hampstead on this one.

We are going to go for a 'meat free monday'.

Wish I could run, old war wounds stop me! I'll be tabbing behind you.

For a start try some of the quorn brands, things like the garlic and mushroom slices. I'm not so keen on Linda McCartney stuff. Quorn mince is good for things like "shepherds pie" too. Some people over cook quorn, it gets chewy if do. There are some good veggie recipes that use the more unusual vegetables and nuts when you feel like a change. You'll be surprised how tasty they are.
Pretty depressing, horrible stuff on 15:50 - Sep 29 with 3776 viewsSpruceMoose

Pretty depressing, horrible stuff on 13:58 - Sep 29 by blue_oyster

Congratulations, you win the match ball.

I can hear your excited mouthbreathing from here.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Pretty depressing, horrible stuff on 16:09 - Sep 29 with 3757 viewshampstead_blue

Maybe those young workers who would typically be heading for this type of role are erolled on FE courses, not HE.

Also don't forget the larger numbers of apprenticeships available.

I also think the third reason could well the strong supply of cheaper labour has given British businesses a chance to diversify into areas which would otherwise go to other EU countries.

Pretty depressing, horrible stuff on 17:13 - Sep 29 with 3716 viewsstrikalite

Factories/warehouses don't have to employ people these days though, agencies have seen to that, you can hire and fire anytime you like and for any reason you want, the minimum wage is a given and certainly no sick pay......

So, if these chicken factories workers don't turn up the next day, or don't like what they see, there'll be a queue of hundreds within the agency willing and waiting..
[Post edited 29 Sep 2017 17:14]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024