Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not A Match Report 20:00 - Mar 31 with 1743 viewsnshearman1

Well that was certainly weird. 5 and a half years on from that 1-0 away win with Mick hailed like the Messiah, it was time to say goodbye. While I've been a Mick outer for almost 2 years now, I felt sad for him, because I think he's a decent bloke and the players love him, and he's had to work placed in financial handcuffs under the poorest possible management from the unseen unheard Marcus Evans. So I made the return journey hoping to give thanks to Mick, to applaud him at the end and praise him for getting us out of the mess we were in when he arrived.
It was good to meet Truce for the first time, along with all the old faces, Mach, BlueMike and his son, and Liz HallamBlue. I chatted to Liz Edwards and Tim before the game, no-one seems to know who will take Mick's place, it seems that McLaren is a no-go, same for Mowbray, so it's Warburton maybe or someone currently in a job. I still like the sound of Stejn. But it's difficult to think who'd want to come here to work under Evans' financial strategy.
Unfortunately the game turned out to be more of the same old s**t, along with a ridiculous penalty and a homer ref. On our side, all the same problems persist - endless sideways football around the back 3/4/5, and a real problem with quality delivery to the front men. Celina and Carayol inevitably offered more of an attacking threat but just as at Bristol City came on way too late. Too little, too late.
And so it came to the end. It was notable at the beginning that neither the players nor Mick acknowledged the fans much, but certainly most of the players applauded us at the end, and we'd given good strong support throughout the match in spite of the patent inadequacies on the field. And Mick? He wandered off down the touchline without any nod to the fans.
Clearly he's hurting, as are the players. But at some point he's going to have to understand that he has at the very least contributed to his downfall. The football has indeed been inexorably tedious, and personally I believe that even with no money you can produce some entertaining and aspirational football, as Joe Royle did. One thing I seem to remember from last season - correct me if I'm wrong: when Chambers had to sit out a match through injury he made a comment something to the effect of he didn't realise how boring it looked from the stands. I can only assume because the players all work so hard they lose sense of how poor in quality the actual football is. The passing and ball control were terrible today.
But secondly, Mick has been on a mission to tell his critics to f*** off at every opportunity. He seems to have deliberately driven a wedge between himself and the fans, and indeed the players and the fans. I have no doubt he's received dog's abuse along the way - though I don't think I know of any specific examples. But it's his choice to have a go back and alienate the fans further. As I've said before, he is old enough and canny enough not to need to do this. I suspect this was a big part of Evans' decision to 'let him go'. Mick is in grave danger of blubbing like an Aussie cricketer. He needs to take a good hard look at himself though at some point. Now we're in a situation where, as other posters have suggested, it would be much better if he left sooner rather than later. And so the goodbye was not a bang but a whimper.
And thanks to TC for all he's done for the team too, by the way.
Not A Match Report on 20:11 - Mar 31 with 1682 viewsnshearman1

Sorry, forgot to mention the great and wonderful Harry From Bath today - great to see you again and listen to your wise thoughts!
Not A Match Report on 20:18 - Mar 31 with 1653 viewsBluefish

Good to meet you. It was interesting that you, Harry, mach and I had a really enjoyable chat but all had different views and still agreed on certain things. The club is drifting and this appointment needs to be the right person. I think we all agreed on wanting steijn or Jones and that appointing an out of work manager is just moving the managerial negstive to a different aspect of the game.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Not A Match Report on 20:23 - Mar 31 with 1617 viewsnshearman1

Not A Match Report on 20:18 - Mar 31 by Bluefish

Good to meet you. It was interesting that you, Harry, mach and I had a really enjoyable chat but all had different views and still agreed on certain things. The club is drifting and this appointment needs to be the right person. I think we all agreed on wanting steijn or Jones and that appointing an out of work manager is just moving the managerial negstive to a different aspect of the game.

Agreed!
Not A Match Report on 21:11 - Mar 31 with 1506 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Good to see you all guys. By far the best positive from today.
Not A Match Report on 21:47 - Mar 31 with 1442 viewsstantheman

"Blubbing like an Aussie cricketer"
Snort
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024