Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First Cuckoo this year. 10:25 - Apr 18 with 2737 viewsgerard1947

Fantastic morning, Cuckoo calling, bitterns booming at Wicken Fen.
First Cuckoo this year. on 10:30 - Apr 18 with 2725 viewsGeoffSentence

Cuckold have breathing on the ground in my part of the Ipswih-Shotley-Sudbury Golden Triangle over the last few years.

Used to get them turn up every year in the same woods and thickets, but I have seen one over the last two years.

Keeping my to here crossed for a return this year.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

First Cuckoo this year. on 10:30 - Apr 18 with 2723 viewsGeoffSentence

Cuckold have breathing on the ground in my part of the Ipswih-Shotley-Sudbury Golden Triangle over the last few years.

Used to get them turn up every year in the same woods and thickets, but I have seen one over the last two years.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a return this year.

First Cuckoo this year. on 10:32 - Apr 18 with 2720 viewsGuthrum

Meant to post on your Bittern thread the other day. Heard one at Wicken Fen with my mother last year. Thought we saw one, as well, over in the far corner of the site, in the distance flying just above the trees.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

First Cuckoo this year. on 10:34 - Apr 18 with 2713 viewsGuthrum

First Cuckoo this year. on 10:30 - Apr 18 by GeoffSentence

Keeping my to here crossed for a return this year.

Affairs with married women in south-east Suffolk?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

First Cuckoo this year. on 10:39 - Apr 18 with 2708 viewsGeoffSentence

First Cuckoo this year. on 10:34 - Apr 18 by Guthrum

Farking predictive text on my kindle fire is absolutely bonkers.

It should have been "thin on the ground"

And s/cuckold/cuckoos
[Post edited 18 Apr 2018 10:40]

First Cuckoo this year. on 10:46 - Apr 18 with 2694 viewsgerard1947

First Cuckoo this year. on 10:32 - Apr 18 by Guthrum

Meant to post on your Bittern thread the other day. Heard one at Wicken Fen with my mother last year. Thought we saw one, as well, over in the far corner of the site, in the distance flying just above the trees.

Well worth a trip to Wicken for anyone interested in birds. Best give it 3 weeks and you will see and hear Cuckoo, bittern, hobby will be there soon, harriers etc. There was a chap recording nightingales today. Crane seen on adjoining Burwell Fen this week.

Wicken's about 10 miles from Newmarket on the A1123.
First Cuckoo this year. on 11:40 - Apr 18 with 2655 viewsBluebell

We always heard the first cuckoo here on 12th April like clockwork but haven’t heard it yet. I assume the harsher winter is the cause.

When it was snowing and cold we had a flock ( or whatever the collective term is) of 12 yellow hammer. Six of them still come back every day for the seeds I put out for them. We hadn’t seen yellow hammers here for many years before.
First Cuckoo this year. on 11:46 - Apr 18 with 2648 viewsRyorry

At old house between '95-2008-ish, used to be regularly woken up at 3am on May mornings by cuckoo/s. Edit: always seemed to arrive (well, first heard anyway) on Shakespeare's birthday/St George's day, 23rd April! Between 2008-ish & 2013 when I left, this gradually petered out.

If I hear one these days at new house, only a couple of miles away as the crow flies, it's a rarity
[Post edited 18 Apr 2018 11:48]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

First Cuckoo this year. on 12:43 - Apr 18 with 2627 viewsgerard1947

First Cuckoo this year. on 11:40 - Apr 18 by Bluebell

We always heard the first cuckoo here on 12th April like clockwork but haven’t heard it yet. I assume the harsher winter is the cause.

When it was snowing and cold we had a flock ( or whatever the collective term is) of 12 yellow hammer. Six of them still come back every day for the seeds I put out for them. We hadn’t seen yellow hammers here for many years before.

It's amazing how predictable they are, I note the dates I first hear them. They last four years have been, 18, 18, 24, 18 April. I read in Nick Davis book that a possible reason for the cuckoo's decline is that their arrivals have been constant whereas their hosts are arriving and breeding earlier.
First Cuckoo this year. on 20:54 - Apr 18 with 2568 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

First Cuckoo this year. on 10:34 - Apr 18 by Guthrum

Genius, who needs cuckoos!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

First Cuckoo this year. on 21:01 - Apr 18 with 2560 viewsblueislander

First Cuckoo this year. on 11:46 - Apr 18 by Ryorry

At old house between '95-2008-ish, used to be regularly woken up at 3am on May mornings by cuckoo/s. Edit: always seemed to arrive (well, first heard anyway) on Shakespeare's birthday/St George's day, 23rd April! Between 2008-ish & 2013 when I left, this gradually petered out.

If I hear one these days at new house, only a couple of miles away as the crow flies, it's a rarity
[Post edited 18 Apr 2018 11:48]

Had an interesting few minutes this evening. A couple of crows saw off a buzzard. Presumably the crows had eggs or fledglings.
First Cuckoo this year. on 21:15 - Apr 18 with 2550 viewsRyorry

First Cuckoo this year. on 21:01 - Apr 18 by blueislander

Had an interesting few minutes this evening. A couple of crows saw off a buzzard. Presumably the crows had eggs or fledglings.

Best fight I've ever seen was half a dozen or so Red Kite, & about the same number of Common Buzzard, having a right old stand-off about 200' up over the moors where I used to live - real Jets vs Sharks stuff!

First Cuckoo this year. on 21:23 - Apr 18 with 2545 viewsblueislander

First Cuckoo this year. on 21:15 - Apr 18 by Ryorry

Best fight I've ever seen was half a dozen or so Red Kite, & about the same number of Common Buzzard, having a right old stand-off about 200' up over the moors where I used to live - real Jets vs Sharks stuff!

Certainly this was not in that class. Buzzard didn't put up much of a fight. He ( or she) just f-cked off. Plenty of other fish in the sea I suspect.
First Cuckoo this year. on 21:39 - Apr 18 with 2536 viewsRyorry

First Cuckoo this year. on 21:23 - Apr 18 by blueislander

Certainly this was not in that class. Buzzard didn't put up much of a fight. He ( or she) just f-cked off. Plenty of other fish in the sea I suspect.

My bantams used to get into a right ol frit when there were Buzzards about, reckon the Bs could have swooped in & stolen all the eggs they wanted!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024