Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chromecast vs Amazon TV vs ... advice 15:55 - Jun 13 with 1391 viewsx123456789

Looking to get a cheap device (<£50) to enable use of a second TV that is otherwise going unused as no aerial connection.

Can TWTD’ers offer any advice on which is the best option? Looked mainly at the two in the title but open to others
- we have Netflix, can access Amazon prime but don’t really use it
- ideally would have access to Netflix, BBC iplayer, ITV, 4od, including live Tv. Maybe YouTube as well
- showing content from a phone/laptop would be a bonus
- unlikely to use it for watching long films, more as background viewing

Any suggestions?
Chromecast vs Amazon TV vs ... advice on 15:57 - Jun 13 with 1379 viewswkj

I prefer Chromecast because as I found with Amazon Fire tablets, they like to alienate themselves from compatibility with other companies (No factory access to google market place)

You can technically cast prime onto a chrome cast with screen mirroring in Google chrome, just stick a pair of headphones in the pc with the headphones volume slider all the way down, but the system volume up, and it is a genuine duck tape workaround.

I have a chromecast personally (and the little Google Assistant spybot speaker), but cant talk for the fire stick.

- we have Netflix, can access Amazon prime but don’t really use it

Does netflix, can do amazon prime via above work around

- ideally would have access to Netflix, BBC iplayer, ITV, 4od, including live Tv. Maybe YouTube as well

Does all of the above for On demand, as for live, i genuinely don't know, but if they all work like iPlayer, it casts from your phone, so i would assume if your phone app allows casting of live programs then it will work.

- showing content from a phone/laptop would be a bonus
You can cast from various phone apps, and the google chrome browser

- unlikely to use it for watching long films, more as background viewing
Does a fine job.

Possible drawbacks is the chromecast doesnt come with a remote like (some) amazon sticks do, but I think a smart phone can do most of what you need. It is fully integrated with google assistant which you can get on android phones (not sure about IOS) if you don't wanna use a spybot speaker thing.

It requires a power socket to run.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2018 16:03]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Chromecast vs Amazon TV vs ... advice on 16:15 - Jun 13 with 1354 viewsvilanovablue

I have the Chromecast and firestick and its the latter that gets used the most as you are not reliant on another device to share content.

Firestick has all the apps you need and you can sideload stuff onto the device to give access to extra stuff, ahem.
Chromecast vs Amazon TV vs ... advice on 16:19 - Jun 13 with 1343 viewsx123456789

Thanks for the helpful feedback. Anyone also have experience with Now TV? Just came across it!
Chromecast vs Amazon TV vs ... advice on 16:22 - Jun 13 with 1337 viewswkj

Chromecast vs Amazon TV vs ... advice on 16:19 - Jun 13 by x123456789

Thanks for the helpful feedback. Anyone also have experience with Now TV? Just came across it!

I found that it had a really strong offering of movie with Cinema Pass and you can be selective with what you get with it to a degree. You can get live tv through it with the entertainment pass. Sports is expensive as an be, though a decent alternative for specific events for a weekend or some such. A lot seems to come through 720p though.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Chromecast vs Amazon TV vs ... advice on 16:34 - Jun 13 with 1319 viewsSouperJim

The £30 Roku express is well worth a look, supports Netflix, Amazon, NowTV and all the free stuff all in one box. Same hardware manufacturer as the NowTV boxes, just without the limitations and with a much better spec (much faster interface).

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Chromecast vs Amazon TV vs ... advice on 16:35 - Jun 13 with 1316 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I use the Chromecast a lot.

In fact Ive just bought one today to give to my Dad for Fathers day.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

on 17:16 - Jun 13 with 1292 views_

Chromecast vs Amazon TV vs ... advice on 17:17 - Jun 13 with 1294 viewsJohnny_Boy

Chromecast vs Amazon TV vs ... advice on 16:34 - Jun 13 by SouperJim

The £30 Roku express is well worth a look, supports Netflix, Amazon, NowTV and all the free stuff all in one box. Same hardware manufacturer as the NowTV boxes, just without the limitations and with a much better spec (much faster interface).

I would add, always get the Roku box which has the Ethernet (hard wire Internet) port option - rather than the cheaper WIFI only model.

The M3U Playlist Black app is free to add & you can install live channel playlists by simply looking on Pastebin.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2018 17:19]
Login to get fewer ads

Chromecast vs Amazon TV vs ... advice on 17:28 - Jun 13 with 1283 viewsTJS

Read a book -(although NOW TV is quite good)
[Post edited 13 Jun 2018 17:34]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024