Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What was the last thing you learnt? 19:15 - Jun 30 with 3634 viewsSwansea_Blue

And I don’t mean that Danny Dyer is able to provide astute summaries of Brexit progress. Or that we should have sacked Mick a lot earlier.

I’ve been thinking about learning something new as life’s lacking a bit of zip these days (I’m tending towards surfing, but that’s by the by).

It got me thinking that a lot of us must get stuck in ruts, even if we don’t realise and/or it doesn’t bother us.. We like what we like, we probably stick to the same hobbies and pass times, etc. About 12 years ago now I learnt to scuba dive and went from knowing nothing to my Advanced Open Water qualification over a year or two. It was f*cking amazing (‘scuse French). Sadly I haven’t kept it going, but I vividly remember that the thrill of learning something completely new and being competent at it gave me such a buzz at the time. I’d like to get feeling back again..

So let’s be ‘avin you. What have you done lately to learn something new? In the most extreme cases it would be completely different and out of your comfort zone, but it doesn’t have to be. I may even change my mind about surfing if something else grabs my attention.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

What was the last thing you learnt? on 12:25 - Jul 1 with 592 viewsDanTheMan

What was the last thing you learnt? on 11:07 - Jul 1 by factual_blue

I don't wish to worry you, but I learned to write 'go' when I was about five.

I didn't realise programming was around in the 17th century.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

What was the last thing you learnt? on 13:02 - Jul 1 with 564 viewsSwansea_Blue

What was the last thing you learnt? on 11:07 - Jul 1 by factual_blue

I don't wish to worry you, but I learned to write 'go' when I was about five.

Some people are slow learners.

Some great replies on here.

What was the last thing you learnt? on 13:09 - Jul 1 with 553 viewsSwansea_Blue

What was the last thing you learnt? on 19:22 - Jun 30 by Steve_M

People I know who surf love it, doesn't really appeal for me but as it does you go for it.

When I started to learn Russian a few years back it really felt like using a different part of my brain, more like hard work now and I still not very good but....

I'm covering for a colleague at work for the next couple of months so on a fairly steep learning curve at work at the moment; amazing how much more energised I feel as a result.

Apparently learning something new is supposed to change brain chemistry and even fend off dementia (don't know if that's true or internet waffle though). Be cool if you could literally feel it happening.

I should be learning Welsh. The missus and both our kids are first language Welsh speakers, but for some reason I don't feel motivated to learn at all. Maybe it's because I'm already sat in work all day so don't want to sit in a classroom all evening. Or maybe it's because I'm a lazy sod. Haven't decided which yet!

What was the last thing you learnt? on 13:11 - Jul 1 with 549 viewsjeera

What was the last thing you learnt? on 13:09 - Jul 1 by Swansea_Blue

Apparently learning something new is supposed to change brain chemistry and even fend off dementia (don't know if that's true or internet waffle though). Be cool if you could literally feel it happening.

I should be learning Welsh. The missus and both our kids are first language Welsh speakers, but for some reason I don't feel motivated to learn at all. Maybe it's because I'm already sat in work all day so don't want to sit in a classroom all evening. Or maybe it's because I'm a lazy sod. Haven't decided which yet!

Learning to surf does sound more fun than learning Welsh.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

What was the last thing you learnt? on 13:16 - Jul 1 with 542 viewsSwansea_Blue

What was the last thing you learnt? on 19:34 - Jun 30 by Melford

I got one of these last week

Very different to playing a guitar/bass or even a keyboard, even though it has one. Blowing into it and breathing is the tricky bit.

I have no idea what that is nor how it helps with cooking.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024