Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good piece on Pussy Riot's protest and the reality of Putin's Russia 11:41 - Jul 18 with 3347 viewsSteve_M

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/sport/2018/07/pussy-riot-s-world-cup-pitch

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Good piece on Pussy Riot's protest and the reality of Putin's Russia on 11:59 - Jul 18 with 3312 viewsStokieBlue

That's all fake news. I was shouted down and told so when I postulated the thought that Russia is actually pretty different to what people who are visiting for the World Cup are seeing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/0dd0ab91-145a-4137-bf87-28d0498c8d56

SB
[Post edited 18 Jul 2018 12:00]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Good piece on Pussy Riot's protest and the reality of Putin's Russia on 13:20 - Jul 18 with 3253 viewsTJS

I think most ordinary Russians are decent enough people who are happy to put up with an authoritarian government.
That is pretty much all they have known in their history.
If they want to change it that is up to them - no one else can do it for them.
Good piece on Pussy Riot's protest and the reality of Putin's Russia on 13:32 - Jul 18 with 3229 viewsSteve_M

Good piece on Pussy Riot's protest and the reality of Putin's Russia on 13:20 - Jul 18 by TJS

I think most ordinary Russians are decent enough people who are happy to put up with an authoritarian government.
That is pretty much all they have known in their history.
If they want to change it that is up to them - no one else can do it for them.

How do you expect the Russian people to challenge an authoritarian government when protest by more than one person is banned and elections are manifestly unfree?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Good piece on Pussy Riot's protest and the reality of Putin's Russia on 13:40 - Jul 18 with 3224 viewsTJS

Good piece on Pussy Riot's protest and the reality of Putin's Russia on 13:32 - Jul 18 by Steve_M

How do you expect the Russian people to challenge an authoritarian government when protest by more than one person is banned and elections are manifestly unfree?

Its nothing to do with protests being banned or unfree elections.
If enough of the Russian people stood up to Putin like Pussy Riot he would be gone.
Good piece on Pussy Riot's protest and the reality of Putin's Russia on 16:55 - Jul 18 with 3157 viewsRob88

Good piece on Pussy Riot's protest and the reality of Putin's Russia on 13:40 - Jul 18 by TJS

If enough of the Russian people stood up to Putin like Pussy Riot he would be gone.

Good piece on Pussy Riot's protest and the reality of Putin's Russia on 18:09 - Jul 18 with 3114 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

You've got to love Pussy Riot.......good on them!

Edit.....people jailed for 'likes'....will have to look in to that.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2018 18:10]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Good piece on Pussy Riot's protest and the reality of Putin's Russia on 18:43 - Jul 18 with 3073 viewsSwansea_Blue

Good piece on Pussy Riot's protest and the reality of Putin's Russia on 18:09 - Jul 18 by BanksterDebtSlave

You've got to love Pussy Riot.......good on them!

Edit.....people jailed for 'likes'....will have to look in to that.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2018 18:10]

I think I'm in love with that protester who high fived Mbape, she's very cute

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Good piece on Pussy Riot's protest and the reality of Putin's Russia on 20:06 - Jul 18 with 3033 viewsStokieBlue

Good piece on Pussy Riot's protest and the reality of Putin's Russia on 13:40 - Jul 18 by TJS

You are essentially advocating an armed resistance in a country with a authoritarian leadership in total control of the military.

What could possibly go wrong.

SB

Login to get fewer ads

Good piece on Pussy Riot's protest and the reality of Putin's Russia on 20:14 - Jul 18 with 3024 viewsjaykay

Good piece on Pussy Riot's protest and the reality of Putin's Russia on 20:06 - Jul 18 by StokieBlue

You are essentially advocating an armed resistance in a country with a authoritarian leadership in total control of the military.

SB

did he advocate armed resistance. he said like the pussy demo.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Good piece on Pussy Riot's protest and the reality of Putin's Russia on 20:20 - Jul 18 with 3014 viewsStokieBlue

Good piece on Pussy Riot's protest and the reality of Putin's Russia on 20:14 - Jul 18 by jaykay

did he advocate armed resistance. he said like the pussy demo.

I think you need to look at the post that was quoted rather than the original post.

SB

Good piece on Pussy Riot's protest and the reality of Putin's Russia on 20:26 - Jul 18 with 3004 viewsWeWereZombies

Good piece on Pussy Riot's protest and the reality of Putin's Russia on 20:06 - Jul 18 by StokieBlue

SB

I think the term you are struggling to comprehend is civil disobedience, usually a degree removed from armed resistance. Although there can be two movements running concurrently and that creates a number of difficulties.

However, if things do not change they stay the same and most states respond to change sooner or later.

I can be more vague if you are in need of comforting thoughts.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Good piece on Pussy Riot's protest and the reality of Putin's Russia on 20:33 - Jul 18 with 2986 viewsStokieBlue

Good piece on Pussy Riot's protest and the reality of Putin's Russia on 20:26 - Jul 18 by WeWereZombies

I think the term you are struggling to comprehend is civil disobedience, usually a degree removed from armed resistance. Although there can be two movements running concurrently and that creates a number of difficulties.

However, if things do not change they stay the same and most states respond to change sooner or later.

I can be more vague if you are in need of comforting thoughts.

That's a rather harsh post, quite unlike you. Civil disobedience was never mentioned although neither was armed resistance. Perhaps my statement was a bit full on.

However in an authoritarian state civil disobedience wouldn't get very far at all unless it was armed. Putin is unlike to accept vast hordes of people on marches shouting for his head given he has banned gatherings of more than one person without permission.

It would be excellent if a prolonged civil disobedience was possible and made a difference.

SB
[Post edited 18 Jul 2018 20:35]

Good piece on Pussy Riot's protest and the reality of Putin's Russia on 21:35 - Jul 18 with 2949 viewsWeWereZombies

Good piece on Pussy Riot's protest and the reality of Putin's Russia on 20:33 - Jul 18 by StokieBlue

That's a rather harsh post, quite unlike you. Civil disobedience was never mentioned although neither was armed resistance. Perhaps my statement was a bit full on.

However in an authoritarian state civil disobedience wouldn't get very far at all unless it was armed. Putin is unlike to accept vast hordes of people on marches shouting for his head given he has banned gatherings of more than one person without permission.

It would be excellent if a prolonged civil disobedience was possible and made a difference.

SB
[Post edited 18 Jul 2018 20:35]

Sorry if you found that harsh, I thought it was commensurate in tone to your reply to TJS.

As far as the efficacy of civil disobedience in an authoritarian state goes - South Africa.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Good piece on Pussy Riot's protest and the reality of Putin's Russia on 21:53 - Jul 18 with 2933 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Good piece on Pussy Riot's protest and the reality of Putin's Russia on 18:43 - Jul 18 by Swansea_Blue

I think I'm in love with that protester who high fived Mbape, she's very cute

"Mr Putin will see you now!"

Good piece on Pussy Riot's protest and the reality of Putin's Russia on 22:35 - Jul 18 with 2900 viewsBluesquid

Good piece on Pussy Riot's protest and the reality of Putin's Russia on 21:53 - Jul 18 by BanksterDebtSlave

"Mr Putin will see you now!"

Which one was it now?

Good piece on Pussy Riot's protest and the reality of Putin's Russia on 23:35 - Jul 18 with 2852 viewsHurleyBurley

I'd like to know, if Russia is nigh on a police state and Putin its evil dictator in chief, how come the famously anti-Putin Pussy Riot haven't been vanished? How is it that they were not only allowed into the stadium for the final but also managed a pitch invasion?

Not only that, they seem to be able to tweet and youtube anti-Putin material at will.

Who's paying all their heavy fines?
Why does the monster Putin keep allowing them to publicly embarrass him?

Poll: World Cup final: Who do you WANT to win?

Good piece on Pussy Riot's protest and the reality of Putin's Russia on 23:41 - Jul 18 with 2844 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Good piece on Pussy Riot's protest and the reality of Putin's Russia on 23:35 - Jul 18 by HurleyBurley

I'd like to know, if Russia is nigh on a police state and Putin its evil dictator in chief, how come the famously anti-Putin Pussy Riot haven't been vanished? How is it that they were not only allowed into the stadium for the final but also managed a pitch invasion?

Not only that, they seem to be able to tweet and youtube anti-Putin material at will.

Who's paying all their heavy fines?
Why does the monster Putin keep allowing them to publicly embarrass him?

They're KGB

Good piece on Pussy Riot's protest and the reality of Putin's Russia on 23:43 - Jul 18 with 2843 viewsHurleyBurley

Good piece on Pussy Riot's protest and the reality of Putin's Russia on 13:32 - Jul 18 by Steve_M

"when protest by more than one person is banned and elections are manifestly unfree"

Can you provide evidence that protest by more than one person is banned in Russia?
There must be a law about this. A link would be good - I can get it translated by google.

Can you provide evidence that elections are manifestly unfree, apart from the fact that all the Putin-hating press says it is?

Poll: World Cup final: Who do you WANT to win?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024