Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brain Injuries in Football 10:24 - Aug 8 with 1029 viewsx123456789

Just came across the following article and had been unaware of the inquest before and thought others may have also been:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26817099

If the FA fail to publish any research then it doesn't reflect well on the organisation and will only look worse in the future as more details come to light, you only have to look at how the story in the NFL is unfolding.

Do parents with young children at the moment worry about letting their children play football, or other sports? It wasn't something that ever crossed my mind growing up so i'm not sure if the risks would have impacted my participation if the they were known, or the potential risks were publicised. I'm guessing those concerns are amplified when it becomes your children.
Brain Injuries in Football on 11:24 - Aug 8 with 992 viewsSwansea_Blue

No heading allowed in kids football in there US when we were over there. Not at junior school level anyway. And a good thing too imo. I do worry about my lad now we're back, as they don't seem able to head properly as well. But then clearly remember doing heading drills when I was a youngster and it didn't do me any harm (much!).

i think you have to follow the evidence and if there's compelling evidence that it causes long-term issues then it needs to be looked at. Certainly for younger kids many of whom will drop out anyway. Don't want to risk there health for something they only do for a few years.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Brain Injuries in Football on 15:13 - Aug 8 with 972 viewsx123456789

Brain Injuries in Football on 11:24 - Aug 8 by Swansea_Blue

No heading allowed in kids football in there US when we were over there. Not at junior school level anyway. And a good thing too imo. I do worry about my lad now we're back, as they don't seem able to head properly as well. But then clearly remember doing heading drills when I was a youngster and it didn't do me any harm (much!).

i think you have to follow the evidence and if there's compelling evidence that it causes long-term issues then it needs to be looked at. Certainly for younger kids many of whom will drop out anyway. Don't want to risk there health for something they only do for a few years.

That’s interesting, I hadn’t realised the US had already banned headers amongst junior age groups - I presume the change has followed the evidence coming from NFL and it hadn’t always been banned?

It seems sensible given the existing evidence. I’m sure without headers the junior game would would be no worse, and in all likelihood probably better. That got me thinking, would all football be better and more entertaining without headers!? Pulis would be out of a job and you would have less worry about high-footed tackles
Brain Injuries in Football on 16:28 - Aug 8 with 939 viewssolemio

Alan Shearer's surprisingly well-made and thoughtful tv prog on this subject is worth finding if you can. I haven't tried!!
Brain Injuries in Football on 16:38 - Aug 8 with 931 viewshype313

Most of these issues are obviously relating to the older generation, but isn't there an argument that it was about the balls they used? My old man has said a number of occasions that heading a wet ball in the late fifties early sixties was like hitting your head against a brick wall, balls these days are like balloons.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Brain Injuries in Football on 16:47 - Aug 8 with 925 viewssolemio

Brain Injuries in Football on 16:38 - Aug 8 by hype313

Most of these issues are obviously relating to the older generation, but isn't there an argument that it was about the balls they used? My old man has said a number of occasions that heading a wet ball in the late fifties early sixties was like hitting your head against a brick wall, balls these days are like balloons.

Certainly far worse in those days, but Shearer found there are still many cases in this day and age.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024