Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
IT people 09:13 - Aug 10 with 1242 viewsHerbivore

I managed to break my laptop screen and needed to get a replacement quickly as I use it a fair bit for work. My budget is limited (under £400) so I plumped for this: https://www.johnlewis.com/lenovo-ideapad-320s-laptop-intel-core-i3-4gb-128gb-ssd

My current machine is a Lenovo (a cheap one) and it's been reliable and held its battery life pretty well. This looked a good spec for the money with a non Celeron processor and a SSD. Probably a little light on RAM but I'm only using it for word processing and browsing so should be fine. I probably should have sought advice before purchasing but can you please reassure me this is a decent purchase for the money? Reviews from end users and on tech sites were favourable.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

IT people on 09:42 - Aug 10 with 1195 viewsDanTheMan

Looks OK, but 4GB really is very limited. Might want to look to purchase an upgrade down the line if you're comfortable installing it. Shouldn't cost a lot.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

IT people on 10:42 - Aug 10 with 1167 viewsHerbivore

IT people on 09:42 - Aug 10 by DanTheMan

Looks OK, but 4GB really is very limited. Might want to look to purchase an upgrade down the line if you're comfortable installing it. Shouldn't cost a lot.

Yeah I'm sure I could upgrade the RAM if needed. My use is very light, just internet and word processing, so hopefully will be okay for that.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

IT people on 13:44 - Aug 10 with 1124 viewsOldsmoker

I had to replace my Laptop recently too.
I went to the boxshifters at PC World but their tech knowhow is lacking.
I went to a computer repair shop on the high street and asked them and they said they saw very few Lenovos or HP laptops needing repair so that suggested these are reliable PC's.
I chose an HP bought from Argos as it was on offer but I opted for the extra 4GB RAM doubling to 8GB.
5 years ago my laptop running Windows 8 got a Windows upgrade and it killed my machine. The new OS version took another half gig of memory meaning that there was not much room left to actually run things.
That's why I would always suggest you take the double memory option as its only £35-£60 extra depending on the manufacturer.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2018 13:45]

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

IT people on 15:13 - Aug 10 with 1086 viewsNo9

Avoid Lenovo
IT people on 15:17 - Aug 10 with 1076 viewswkj

Personally I would prefer ASUS over Lenovo (and never ever Acer)

But for what you use it for it should be absolutely fine. As some advice to any laptop buyers, always take time to see how the vents are set up, quite often laptops go wrong because of blocked vents, and it is easy to do on accident.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024