Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket 18:09 - Aug 19 with 1076 viewsDyland

We're going to get tvvated in this test. One such result for each team then, with England edging the other. Series on.

(Cook just dropped a sitter as well).

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Cricket on 18:20 - Aug 19 with 1070 viewsbluewein

Kinda glad as I have tickets for the next test and want it to still be a bit of a contest.

But yeah, this is gonna be a hammering...
[Post edited 19 Aug 2018 18:21]

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Cricket on 19:02 - Aug 19 with 1019 viewsKeno

Shouldn’t have brought Stokes back

Having won toss they should have batted

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Cricket on 21:34 - Aug 19 with 980 viewsHennikerBlu

Cricket on 19:02 - Aug 19 by Keno

I do wonder on this point, he was put straight back in the team and Curran was dropped in spite of playing well. I also understand that he still has to face the cricketing authorities over matters. The conditions are very English so not sure why we have played so poorly in this test.

Should you change a winning team? That said India chop and change like crazy.
Cricket on 10:10 - Aug 20 with 898 viewsHerbivore

Cricket on 19:02 - Aug 19 by Keno

Yeah conditions on the first afternoon were the best they've been for batting and that was when India scored their runs. Take out that partnership and their first innings lead is significantly shorter. England also famously have zero bottle for batting when behind in the game so getting a score on the board first is the way we should go unless the conditions are absolutely ripe for our bowlers.

I'm on the fence with Stokes, he's a fantastic cricketer but Curran didn't deserve to miss out. There's a case for having Buttler or Rashid drop out instead.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Cricket on 10:17 - Aug 20 with 890 viewsKeno

Cricket on 10:10 - Aug 20 by Herbivore

Yeah conditions on the first afternoon were the best they've been for batting and that was when India scored their runs. Take out that partnership and their first innings lead is significantly shorter. England also famously have zero bottle for batting when behind in the game so getting a score on the board first is the way we should go unless the conditions are absolutely ripe for our bowlers.

I'm on the fence with Stokes, he's a fantastic cricketer but Curran didn't deserve to miss out. There's a case for having Buttler or Rashid drop out instead.

I would have dropped Buttler, but think it would have been better to leave the team as it was

I always remember the old adage that if you win the toss bat, if you aren't sure bat, if you really aren't sure bat and if you remain undecided bat

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Cricket on 10:18 - Aug 20 with 889 viewsSteve_M

Cricket on 21:34 - Aug 19 by HennikerBlu

I do wonder on this point, he was put straight back in the team and Curran was dropped in spite of playing well. I also understand that he still has to face the cricketing authorities over matters. The conditions are very English so not sure why we have played so poorly in this test.

Should you change a winning team? That said India chop and change like crazy.

Stokes was also excellent at Lord's so England are also doing what they've done for the last few years and sticking to their strongest team.

It's a moot point anyway, that's not why yesterday was so bad; that was some utterly atrocious cricket and a failure to play for the conditions from too many players who should be much better than that. Although it's been true for some time that when England lose they tend to lose badly there still seems to be no real solution to it.

And all made worse by the trains being delayed meaning I finally got home at 11:30 last night.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Cricket on 10:20 - Aug 20 with 887 viewsconnorscontract

Cricket on 10:10 - Aug 20 by Herbivore

There's a case for either Ali or Woakes to open, freeing up a spot- either Ali in Rashid out, as clearly it's a seamers' Test, or Woakes up to open and Stokes' straight in. But would you drop Jennings or Cook?

I would go with Ali and Woakes to open, and give them time. They can't do worse than our opening pairs in recent years, and bring so much more to the table. No bowler would have to be over-bowled, and we'd have six or seven Test wicket taking bowlers every match. Before anyone says this is stupid, this is exactly the approach that South Africa took for many years. It gives longevity to bowlers careers, and also allows the selection of a raw young pace bowler as there is cover if things don't go so well, and they can bowl in short bursts as there are others to take the load.

It won't happen, but it would be an interesting approach.

I think Ali has been harshly treated. His record in England is very good.
Cricket on 10:26 - Aug 20 with 869 viewsHerbivore

Cricket on 10:20 - Aug 20 by connorscontract

There's a case for either Ali or Woakes to open, freeing up a spot- either Ali in Rashid out, as clearly it's a seamers' Test, or Woakes up to open and Stokes' straight in. But would you drop Jennings or Cook?

I would go with Ali and Woakes to open, and give them time. They can't do worse than our opening pairs in recent years, and bring so much more to the table. No bowler would have to be over-bowled, and we'd have six or seven Test wicket taking bowlers every match. Before anyone says this is stupid, this is exactly the approach that South Africa took for many years. It gives longevity to bowlers careers, and also allows the selection of a raw young pace bowler as there is cover if things don't go so well, and they can bowl in short bursts as there are others to take the load.

It won't happen, but it would be an interesting approach.

I think Ali has been harshly treated. His record in England is very good.

Ali's form with bat and ball dropped off a cliff to be fair. I like him but he needs some form, we can't keep selecting on past performances all the time. Woakes and Ali to open is a hell of a shout, those two facing the new ball in test cricket? Can't see it myself.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024