Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It's all going terribly well part 555744343423523523299797987 09:16 - Sep 3 with 4373 viewsBlueBadger

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/sep/02/britain-loses-medicines-contrac

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

It's all going terribly well part 555744343423523523299797987 on 17:01 - Sep 3 with 1152 viewsNo9

It's all going terribly well part 555744343423523523299797987 on 15:51 - Sep 3 by xrayspecs

Micheal Gove - enough said. Clinical trials are normally international and include patients recruited across multiple countries. The conduct of the study is governed by the study protocol and the standard expected by the regulatory bodies.

Liam Fox spoke at a reception in Westminster recently where he acknowledged the need for ongoing regulatory alignment for medicines.

I think that stat is a red herring. While exports to non-EU countries may be growing more quickly than for EU countries, they still account for a very significant percentage of UK business sales/revenues. Very few companies could afford to walk away from that business.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2018 15:55]

There has been a lot on te EU again this week-end. I don't see where the brexiteers have moved toward your view at all, quite the reverse.
We have to ba wary of what ny brexiteers says - you have named Mr Gove, last week the Independent named Liam Fox as a liar but, we should know that from his other ministerial adventures.

I agree with you that businesses can't walk away from the EU however, when we leave we shall become a tird country and will not be able to participate in a lot of EU activities. That is what for most has been the need to be in the EU.

It is apparent some politicians still haven't accepted the UK is leaving the EU NOT the EU kicking the UK out - big difference.
It's all going terribly well part 555744343423523523299797987 on 17:24 - Sep 3 with 1133 viewsxrayspecs

It's all going terribly well part 555744343423523523299797987 on 17:01 - Sep 3 by No9

There has been a lot on te EU again this week-end. I don't see where the brexiteers have moved toward your view at all, quite the reverse.
We have to ba wary of what ny brexiteers says - you have named Mr Gove, last week the Independent named Liam Fox as a liar but, we should know that from his other ministerial adventures.

I agree with you that businesses can't walk away from the EU however, when we leave we shall become a tird country and will not be able to participate in a lot of EU activities. That is what for most has been the need to be in the EU.

It is apparent some politicians still haven't accepted the UK is leaving the EU NOT the EU kicking the UK out - big difference.

I agree with your second and third paragraphs.

On ongoing regulatory alignment, Fox understands the pharma industry position and has made supportive statements at recent Westminster events.
It's all going terribly well part 555744343423523523299797987 on 21:37 - Sep 3 with 1103 viewsNo9

It's all going terribly well part 555744343423523523299797987 on 17:24 - Sep 3 by xrayspecs

I agree with your second and third paragraphs.

On ongoing regulatory alignment, Fox understands the pharma industry position and has made supportive statements at recent Westminster events.

As the Indy pointed out last week - Fox is a liar
It's all going terribly well part 555744343423523523299797987 on 21:44 - Sep 3 with 1101 viewsxrayspecs

It's all going terribly well part 555744343423523523299797987 on 21:37 - Sep 3 by No9

As the Indy pointed out last week - Fox is a liar

Is that the best you can do for debating a point?

I am wasting my time on you.

There is cross government support - including Brexiteers - for continued cooperation with EU in a number of areas.

The world is much more nuanced than you (want to) believe.
It's all going terribly well part 555744343423523523299797987 on 08:18 - Sep 4 with 1069 viewsNo9

It's all going terribly well part 555744343423523523299797987 on 21:44 - Sep 3 by xrayspecs

Is that the best you can do for debating a point?

I am wasting my time on you.

There is cross government support - including Brexiteers - for continued cooperation with EU in a number of areas.

The world is much more nuanced than you (want to) believe.

Thar Liam Fox has been named as a liar and was ousted from his position as Sec of State for Defence is not a debating point but fact.
Now that the Westminster village is returning the debate will start again.
It is patently obvoius the brexiteers are begining to get nervous both from the point of view, their case is wafer thin and the fact things are not going their way.
They claim the world is queuing up to sell goods the the UK but they are not so forthcoming on what we will be selling f& to whom from the UK.
The trade deals that exist due to the UK's membership of the EU has not sunk in yet other than ther fact some of these countries are going to extract a high price from the UK for doing said trade deals - but you won't hear much about that from the brexiteers.
All in all this is an excercise to make a few people very rich at the expense on many.
None of the real problems of leaving the Eu have yet been aired apart from the Irish border.
The cost to the taxpayer escalates, the new brexit secretary quietly let slip last week he has 7000 people working on this and, has finances to take it to 9000 should he need.
In the meantime LA's collapse for lack of funds, childrens and other charities raise the plight of the poor -
But the right is hell bent on a No deal
It's all going terribly well part 555744343423523523299797987 on 08:50 - Sep 4 with 1052 viewsxrayspecs

It's all going terribly well part 555744343423523523299797987 on 08:18 - Sep 4 by No9

Thar Liam Fox has been named as a liar and was ousted from his position as Sec of State for Defence is not a debating point but fact.
Now that the Westminster village is returning the debate will start again.
It is patently obvoius the brexiteers are begining to get nervous both from the point of view, their case is wafer thin and the fact things are not going their way.
They claim the world is queuing up to sell goods the the UK but they are not so forthcoming on what we will be selling f& to whom from the UK.
The trade deals that exist due to the UK's membership of the EU has not sunk in yet other than ther fact some of these countries are going to extract a high price from the UK for doing said trade deals - but you won't hear much about that from the brexiteers.
All in all this is an excercise to make a few people very rich at the expense on many.
None of the real problems of leaving the Eu have yet been aired apart from the Irish border.
The cost to the taxpayer escalates, the new brexit secretary quietly let slip last week he has 7000 people working on this and, has finances to take it to 9000 should he need.
In the meantime LA's collapse for lack of funds, childrens and other charities raise the plight of the poor -
But the right is hell bent on a No deal

Good rant, a lot of which I agree with. I will take exception to the point that none of the problems have been aired, a lot have, both publicly and in private within Westminster. The banking and automobile industries have been very vocal along with the pharma industry. All sectors have made representation regarding their ability to attract talent into the UK, hence the early agreements regarding settlement status and more recently assurance that companies will not be prevented from recruiting from overseas.

I will though come back to the original post - that there is widespread acceptance across political parties and among Brexiteers and Remainers for ongoing collaboration in the pharmaceutical sector.

To not do so is not purely a business consideration, it is a public health matter too, to ensure continuity of supply of medicines into the UK. Around 50 million packs of medicines are imported into the UK (and a similar number exported) every year. This is a big deal as Fox clearly understands.
It's all going terribly well part 555744343423523523299797987 on 09:02 - Sep 4 with 1045 viewsNo9

It's all going terribly well part 555744343423523523299797987 on 08:50 - Sep 4 by xrayspecs

Good rant, a lot of which I agree with. I will take exception to the point that none of the problems have been aired, a lot have, both publicly and in private within Westminster. The banking and automobile industries have been very vocal along with the pharma industry. All sectors have made representation regarding their ability to attract talent into the UK, hence the early agreements regarding settlement status and more recently assurance that companies will not be prevented from recruiting from overseas.

I will though come back to the original post - that there is widespread acceptance across political parties and among Brexiteers and Remainers for ongoing collaboration in the pharmaceutical sector.

To not do so is not purely a business consideration, it is a public health matter too, to ensure continuity of supply of medicines into the UK. Around 50 million packs of medicines are imported into the UK (and a similar number exported) every year. This is a big deal as Fox clearly understands.

The EMA has moved to Amsterdam.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/20/london-loses-european-medicines
You are relying on what Mr Fox says despite his appalling record.
One of the major issues the brexiteers have not yet faced is simply 'what can the UK make & export which does not require components and materials to come from the EU'. An essential factor to Britains success outside the UK is not what we can import cheap - the main thrust of the Fox, Res-Mogg argument s that, but what we can sell to maintain some sort of income stream to prevent the balance of trade collapsing, in anegative fashion.

What the UK imports from the EU is largely essentials= foodstuffs, fuel/energy, components + engineering & construction.
Listening to the leavers yesterday - where there was a lot of heated arguement - none of this is being addressed.
It is a much bigger issues than what is being discussed and I don't see how the UK can be anything other than losers
It's all going terribly well part 555744343423523523299797987 on 09:16 - Sep 4 with 1041 viewsxrayspecs

It's all going terribly well part 555744343423523523299797987 on 09:02 - Sep 4 by No9

The EMA has moved to Amsterdam.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/20/london-loses-european-medicines
You are relying on what Mr Fox says despite his appalling record.
One of the major issues the brexiteers have not yet faced is simply 'what can the UK make & export which does not require components and materials to come from the EU'. An essential factor to Britains success outside the UK is not what we can import cheap - the main thrust of the Fox, Res-Mogg argument s that, but what we can sell to maintain some sort of income stream to prevent the balance of trade collapsing, in anegative fashion.

What the UK imports from the EU is largely essentials= foodstuffs, fuel/energy, components + engineering & construction.
Listening to the leavers yesterday - where there was a lot of heated arguement - none of this is being addressed.
It is a much bigger issues than what is being discussed and I don't see how the UK can be anything other than losers

This post was about the perceived risk to the quality of medicines entering the UK post Brexit.

I have explained why this risk is low to negligible and that the UK government is seeking ongoing regulatory alignment with the EU to protect public safety.

It is an issue that is understood by all parties to the debate about what our future relationship should look like. No one is relying on Liam Fox. I cited him as a prominent Brexiteer who has spoken publicly in Westminster about the need for ongoing alignment.
Login to get fewer ads

It's all going terribly well part 555744343423523523299797987 on 09:30 - Sep 4 with 1037 viewsjjblue84

Hmmm, so the net result is that Britain lose £14m because of leaving the EU. I wonder how they’ll possibly get this back...
It's all going terribly well part 555744343423523523299797987 on 09:32 - Sep 4 with 1034 viewsSwansea_Blue

It's all going terribly well part 555744343423523523299797987 on 09:30 - Sep 4 by jjblue84

Hmmm, so the net result is that Britain lose £14m because of leaving the EU. I wonder how they’ll possibly get this back...

'Price of everything, value of nothing' springs to mind.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

It's all going terribly well part 555744343423523523299797987 on 09:46 - Sep 4 with 1031 viewsxrayspecs

It's all going terribly well part 555744343423523523299797987 on 09:30 - Sep 4 by jjblue84

The MHRA have not secured contracts worth 14m.

The folk employed by the MHRA to do this work are no longer needed, so will either move into other roles in the agency or will be let go. Some may move over to Amsterdam and join the EMA.
It's all going terribly well part 555744343423523523299797987 on 09:53 - Sep 4 with 1029 viewsNo9

It's all going terribly well part 555744343423523523299797987 on 09:16 - Sep 4 by xrayspecs

This post was about the perceived risk to the quality of medicines entering the UK post Brexit.

I have explained why this risk is low to negligible and that the UK government is seeking ongoing regulatory alignment with the EU to protect public safety.

It is an issue that is understood by all parties to the debate about what our future relationship should look like. No one is relying on Liam Fox. I cited him as a prominent Brexiteer who has spoken publicly in Westminster about the need for ongoing alignment.

The article was / is about the UK losing medical 'contract's. This is down to the EMA (as I posted has left the UK for Amsterdam) That must be expected because when the UK leaves the EU it will become a third country.
Initially all brexiteers especially Fox was gung ho about removing EU regulations UNTIL it was pointed out to them that, unless goods are manufactured to EU standards they can't be sold in the EU and the UK cannot pass on goods that don't meet EU standrds. That reduces the UK's trade options considerably.

The iimplications are that currently the EU doesn't trust the UK - with good reason (I posted a link wher the UK faces £2bn in fines for not abiding by thay - BEFORE we've left). I am not sure why you belevie Fox can be trsuted but Gove can't be (apples ina barrel) and as Mr Gove may well be the next PM he should ( maybe) have the final say?
All in all it is a complete mess
It's all going terribly well part 555744343423523523299797987 on 10:19 - Sep 4 with 1022 viewsxrayspecs

It's all going terribly well part 555744343423523523299797987 on 09:53 - Sep 4 by No9

The article was / is about the UK losing medical 'contract's. This is down to the EMA (as I posted has left the UK for Amsterdam) That must be expected because when the UK leaves the EU it will become a third country.
Initially all brexiteers especially Fox was gung ho about removing EU regulations UNTIL it was pointed out to them that, unless goods are manufactured to EU standards they can't be sold in the EU and the UK cannot pass on goods that don't meet EU standrds. That reduces the UK's trade options considerably.

The iimplications are that currently the EU doesn't trust the UK - with good reason (I posted a link wher the UK faces £2bn in fines for not abiding by thay - BEFORE we've left). I am not sure why you belevie Fox can be trsuted but Gove can't be (apples ina barrel) and as Mr Gove may well be the next PM he should ( maybe) have the final say?
All in all it is a complete mess

Sorry, I should have been clearer.

I was responding to WeWereZombies who claimed that us leaving the EU would threaten the integrity of the UK medicines supply chain and leave us vulnerable to lower quality medicines.

There is a strong consensus across Westminister about the need to ensure that this does not happen and a close alignment with EU regulations is the preferred way forward. I only cited Fox as he is a Brexiteer and has spoken publicly about the need to maintain the integrity of the supply chain.

While remainers / leavers have quite different views on many aspects of our future trading relationship with the EU, there are some areas where they are aligned and a cooperative approach with the EU is in the best interest of the UK. Whether the EU agree to cooperate is a different matter.

I am not disagreeing with many of the concerns you raise about the Brexiteer vision of the future, I share many of them. I would though say that to portray Brexiteers as wanting to have regulatory divergence across every sector is not accurate. In certain areas, public health safety and national security for example, it in the UK best interests to cooperate and they understand this too.
It's all going terribly well part 555744343423523523299797987 on 10:48 - Sep 4 with 1011 viewsNo9

It's all going terribly well part 555744343423523523299797987 on 10:19 - Sep 4 by xrayspecs

Sorry, I should have been clearer.

I was responding to WeWereZombies who claimed that us leaving the EU would threaten the integrity of the UK medicines supply chain and leave us vulnerable to lower quality medicines.

There is a strong consensus across Westminister about the need to ensure that this does not happen and a close alignment with EU regulations is the preferred way forward. I only cited Fox as he is a Brexiteer and has spoken publicly about the need to maintain the integrity of the supply chain.

While remainers / leavers have quite different views on many aspects of our future trading relationship with the EU, there are some areas where they are aligned and a cooperative approach with the EU is in the best interest of the UK. Whether the EU agree to cooperate is a different matter.

I am not disagreeing with many of the concerns you raise about the Brexiteer vision of the future, I share many of them. I would though say that to portray Brexiteers as wanting to have regulatory divergence across every sector is not accurate. In certain areas, public health safety and national security for example, it in the UK best interests to cooperate and they understand this too.

I belevie the point We Were Zombies made is correct. As we see things unfold it is even more evident that is a real potential.
It is only recently that some brexiteers have come to realise that regulatory alignement with the EU on all sorts of things is not only desirable but necessary. Fox is one of those.
Relative to your last para, trade agreements normally cover many areas of commerce. This is where tje 'chequers proposal' falls flat, it is very difficult if not impossible to have regulatory alignment on goods but not on services. That in itself does not take into account the UK will become a third nation and will not have access to the 'gazzettes' and will NOT be able to perform in the EU as a third country.
~~You cannot ignore things like the attached
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/17/revealed-us-uk-rightwing-thinkt
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024